• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sakurai confirms Smash trailer at E3 direct!

Yeah I probably got that wrong. It's a desert mario stage that goes underground if I recall. Far to lazy to look.

Its the very first Mario Bros. stage, years later, which looks like a desert. It side-scrolls horizontally to the very end where the flag pole is and repeats.

If you chose it, it would randomly choose that or the underground level. I remember you can select which one appears somehow.

Cynosure

I hope there is balance this time.

Sakurai hates the Zelda franchise. He intentionally nerfed Link and Zelda to bottom tier, and made Metaknight (his creation) broken.

Jawmuncher

Its the very first Mario Bros. stage, years later, which looks like a desert. It side-scrolls horizontally to the very end where the flag pole is and repeats.

If you chose it, it would randomly choose that or the underground level. I remember you can select which one appears somehow.

Ahh ok that's what it was. Played on there a few times. But we disliked it so much we didnt stick with it unless someone was trolling the stage select.

NeonZ

Ridley's too big. Yes there are some smaller versions of him, but in those versions themselves he doesn't even look right and not to mention that was with 2D sprites - he might look even weirder being in 3D at that height. And by default, he is known as a big character. Prime 1, 2, 3, Other M, all big, that is how us gamers know Ridley.
Big.

Technically, it wasn't really standard Ridley in any of the games you mention there.

Why would everyone have alt costumes? I can't think of any alt for Kirby or Pikachu. Having alts for characters like Wario and Link I understand, but everyone doesn't need it

Alt.Kirby could just start with a combination of pieces of outfits from the various powers that he has incorporated into his standard moveset. Pikachu could just get a random costume. It wouldn't really be hard. If alt.costumes can change voices and name this time, Tekken-style, they could even replace him with one of the electric rats from later generations.

Why would everyone have alt costumes? I can't think of any alt for Kirby or Pikachu. Having alts for characters like Wario and Link I understand, but everyone doesn't need it.
It's a feature that's LONG overdue. I think it would be especially good for the 3DS version. Lots of time being spent earning to customize your setup. Like Uprising, but with more visual customization.

I can see them doing something like MvC3. Stick with special color schemes/textures, but have one special unlockable costume that changes the model completely. I think it would be easy to have at least one special costume per character.

Jawmuncher

It's a feature that's LONG overdue. I think it would be especially good for the 3DS version. Lots of time being spent earning to customize your setup. Like Uprising, but with more visual customization.

I can see them doing something like MvC3. Stick with special color schemes/textures, but have one special unlockable costume that changes the model completely. I think it would be easy to have at least one special costume per character.

Agreed. I think every character should have at least one.

Ness could have a Ninten alt costume. Lucas has his brother as an alternate costume as well.

Link could have his multiple version (pls god let there be a pink hair version in this)
Bowser could have a Wart costume.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I think that would work out the best. Have about 4 or 5 alt colors, then a special unlockable alt outfit, either based on another character or just a different outfit they wore, with its own set of alt colors. Gives more content to unlock, thus more replay value and more references/cameos from the world of Nintendo.

A thing a Kirby costume needs to take into account is his hats he acquires for all of the characters' powers.

You can't just stick a random hat on him for an alt costume and call it a day when it would be covered more than half the time.

A thing a Kirby costume needs to take into account is his hats he acquires for all of the characters' powers.

You can't just stick a random hat on him for an alt costume and call it a day when it would be covered more than half the time.

I was gonna suggest giving him alternate sprites/models instead, but then that would open up a whole 'nother can of beans.

Yeah, Kirby would be really tricky.

Meta Knight's easy though: his concept art, plus it's already been done by a fan for Brawl

DwS5fIY.jpg

SQl8hFM.png

NeonZ

They could just stick parts of various outfits outside of his head - like martial arts band on arms, green hat or sword on his back, frying pan on his other side, headphones,etc. It could make him look rather busy though, so I don't know how well that'd work.

My personal opinions regarding this:

Mario: Tanooki Mario
Luigi: Bee Luigi
Peach: Shadow Queen
Bowser: Dry Bowser
Donkey Kong: DK Jr. Outfit
Diddy Kong: Super Mario Strikers Charged Uniform
Yoshi: (none)*
Wario: Overalls
Link: Skyloft Villager Outfit
Zelda: Skyward Sword Hylia Dress
Sheik: Skyward Sword Impa inspired design
Ganondorf: Ocarina of Time Ganondorf (adult era version)
Toon Link: Conductor's Uniform
Samus: Fusion Suit
Zero Suit Samus: Metroid Fusion Suitless Design
Pit: Three Sacred Treasures Armor
Ice Climbers: Climber Game & Watch inspired outfit
R.O.B.: Something based on the Ancient Minister
Kirby: (none)*
Meta Knight: Galacta Knight
King Dedede: Masked Dedede
Olimar: ???**
Fox: Star Fox Assault Design
Falco: Star Fox Adventures Design
Wolf: Star Fox 64 inspired design
Captain Falcon: Original F-Zero Design
Pikachu: (none)*
Pokemon Trainer: Female FireRed/LeafGreen Trainer (with appropriate voice change)
Charizard, Squirtle, Ivysaur: Contest Ribbons
Lucario: Riley inspired outfit
Jigglypuff: (none)*
Marth: Original Marth design
Ike: Awakening DLC Design
Ness: Pajamas
Lucas: Pigmask Disguise
Mr. Game & Watch: Nintendo Land Octopus Dance Guy
Snake: Octocamo with Mask
Sonic: Sonic Adventure 2 Battle Multiplayer Alt

I am for the most part against complete character swaps and flat out making shit up.

*: Regarding the (none)s I wrote:

Yoshi: There really isn't anything worth giving him without delving into nonsense like Mario Party 2 outfits, and I think it would better represent Yoshi to include more established Yoshi colors (like black, white, purple, etc.) so he could have six extra colors to compensate his lack of a costume.

Kirby: Any potential costume given to him needs to work with the established Kirby hats that symbolize what power he has, and honestly, nothing could really work. Extra colors for him like Yoshi.

Pikachu & Jigglypuff: They already kind of have costumes in the form of their varying hats--the best option I see for them is to give them equal amount of hats to switch through to the colors the other characters have through their two outfits.

**: Regarding Olimar, I simply don't know. I think we should wait to see what he potentially appears like in Pikmin 3 before saying anything, but that's just me.

----------

Another thing to consider--the transformation characters (Zelda/Sheik and Samus/ZSS) need to have their costumes correlate with each other. Also, think of how the characters do their attacks--they need to still be able to feasibly do them. Think Peach--she has a few attacks where she hits them with her dress, so that needs to be there.

He certainly sounds like interesting character, and I definitely wouldn't mind more human/sword characters in. Definitely would love to see what would be done with him. What would be the chances of him in anyways?

Ahh ok that's what it was. Played on there a few times. But we disliked it so much we didnt stick with it unless someone was trolling the stage select.

Yeah, it wasn't too great. But I still enjoyed the times from it. I have an awesome memory from there; 1v1 with a friend items on, already at a high percent in damage. Barrel spawns, friend picks it up to throw at me. As its flying towards me in the air, I jump up with Luigi to Up-A it. Flys back towards him to his death. XP

Link could have his multiple version (pls god let there be a pink hair version in this.)

I was hoping he would get a LTTP color palette. I was disappointed to find that it wasn't there.

Rhapsody

Banned
I hope there is balance this time.

Sakurai hates the Zelda franchise. He intentionally nerfed Link and Zelda to bottom tier, and made Metaknight (his creation) broken.

In Melee, the Zelda characters were spread out. And Kirby got nerfed to oblivion in that game. So who knows what'll happen in the next one. I think Link's playstyle and design is pretty awful though which is why they really need to change him up. He's been bad in every game :/

shaowebb

I wonder if the Bee suit will be an item this time around? An item that grants limited flight and a good meteor attack would be pretty dope.

If they did new outfits, I'd love for Marth to have his
FE Awakening DLC outfit.

Also hope they give him the new Falchion design from Awakening.

Jawmuncher

So what do you guys think the trailer will go like? I have a feeling it'll be similar in design to brawls. Showing both new and old and at the end revealing a new third party character ( to the detriment of some but they can deal with it)
I'm still putting money on Bayo but don't want to start that conversation again.

Also I'm assuming they'll save this or Retros game for last.

ant1532

Banned
LOL. That video didn't even have the Melee physics in it yet. Look loosely, at that point it looked like it played closer to Smash 64. So so tired of the Brawl bashing. Don't know why some of you Brawl bashers are so hyped. You'll probably hate Smash4 like you do Brawl.

Unless you have some reference source of Sakurai or someone on the team saying that in their E3 2001 melee video (which is 6 months before release) they were still using smash 64 like placeholder physics, you're 100% making things up. Looking at that video all I see is melee physics and I play a lot of melee competitively. Definitely seems like you're making shit up. don't be so salty too. ps. that video(the second half) is in the actual game too btw.

Why would everyone have alt costumes? I can't think of any alt for Kirby or Pikachu. Having alts for characters like Wario and Link I understand, but everyone doesn't need it.

Come on, have a little imagination!

Pikachu already has, and Kirby could count becuase of colors. Although I would change for one of them a little his face (put him the "whiskers" intead of the red parts), put him in white and make it the original Kirby.
Retro versions of the characters could be magnificent alts.

And what I mean for alts is when they change a little the models, even with name changes and new voices, not some shitty recolours. For example Daisy being an alt for Peach.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Is it me that I would prefer them to focusing on new characters than a lot of alt costumes? I may be ignorance when it came to time management for making alt costumes.

-Horizon-

Think they'll replace Red with another Gen lead/starters?

No, I don't see them replacing him.

What I'm more curious about is what pokemon stage we'll get to replace Spear Pillar. Will it be from gen 5 or will they do a gen 6 stage since Smash won't be out by then anyway?

I really want Daisy repping the Mario Sports titles. Put her in her Strikers outfit and give her a really speedy, up close fighting style. That's kind of the only oddball character I'd really like to see added.

Village

I really want Daisy repping the Mario Sports titles. Put her in her Strikers outfit and give her a really speedy, up close fighting style. That's kind of the only oddball character I'd really like to see added.

I am down with this.

Though for some odd reason in my imagination she just fights like makoto from street fighter.

Servbot24

Banned
Daisy doesn't really make sense to me, she seems like a rather pointless character. If they're going to add more Mario characters, I'd rather them choose something that doesn't already look like another character on the roster, even if it's just a Koopa or something.

I would definitely like to see Peach get sports outfits as alt costumes though.

IceCold

I would love to see (Mother 3 ending spoiler):
The Masked Man. You'd be able to switch between him and Claus (as an alt skin of Lucas) like Sheik and Zelda.

Top Bottom