• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sakurai considered Geno for Super Smash Bros. Brawl/4

Richie

When I checked the interview and got to "Costumes" I got real excited thinking they were gonna address the playable roster's alt costumes, and maaaaybeee the purple dress for Cloud could have been mentioned...Alas, Mii Costumes chat.

It feels so surreal to read Sakurai genuinely wants Geno in the game. No offense to Geno's fans but the Mii Costume already seemed like high acknowledgement, and now we find out the man himself wants him in? Wow. Geno in Smash NX, anyone?

Would a full-scale reference model for Midgar even exist? I mean, given how pretty much all we saw of it in FFVII is pre-rendered, the Advent Children version wouldn't be the most accurate, etc.

There might be some concept art detailing its full map out there but who knows how accessible it is.

They didn't want to pay royalties to the singers of Super Sonic Racing and Sonic Boom, but Sega owns all the rights for Crush 40 songs, Seven Rings in Hand, etc.

Also why Green Hill Zone's the only song from Sonic 1 and 2. They didn't want to pay Masato Nakamura.

Now, for REALLY weird omissions I want to get in his grill about, what the hell happened to Molgera Battle, Melee Jungle Japes (despite its actual stage being in the game??) Checker Knights, Opening / Menu (Metroid Prime), and most of all, THIS masterpiece??

You have no idea how bummed I was when I realized Shaberu got cut. :|

Bolded originated in the Kirby anime, so I imagine it's the same situation as Nakamura.

Everything else you listed are legit bummers.

Richie

They didn't want to pay royalties to the singers of Super Sonic Racing and Sonic Boom, but Sega owns all the rights for Crush 40 songs, Seven Rings in Hand, etc.

Also why Green Hill Zone's the only song from Sonic 1 and 2. They didn't want to pay Masato Nakamura.

Now, for REALLY weird omissions I want to get in his grill about, what the hell happened to Molgera Battle, Melee Jungle Japes (despite its actual stage being in the game??) Checker Knights, Opening / Menu (Metroid Prime), and most of all, THIS masterpiece??

You have no idea how bummed I was when I realized Shaberu got cut. :|

I suppose they can't bring 'em all back, sadly. It's still very questionable logic to shun almost all Metroid Prime music in favor of Other M's tunes, include eight flippin' renditions of Jungle Hijinx and leave Molgera away...

Oh man. Alt colors.

Cloud should have totally gotten his dress as an alt. And then there's all that wasted potential with Olimar (Louie, the President, Brittany, Charlie).

Speaking of which, Smash NX needs to give Olimar back his six Pikmin. And then maybe add Rock Pikmin that do more shield damage/stun but can't cling.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I understand why Sakurai chose Cloud over Geno because Cloud would actually sells very well, comparing to Geno. I guess people are going to expect Geno to be in Smash NX now.

Bolded originated in the Kirby anime, so I imagine it's the same situation as Nakamura.

Everything else you listed are legit bummers.

Holy shit you're right! I never knew this!

I suppose they can't bring 'em all back, sadly. It's still very questionable logic to shun almost all Metroid Prime music in favor of Other M's tunes, include eight flippin' renditions of Jungle Hijinx and leave Molgera away...

Yeah, some songs being cut is an inevitability I guess. I just don't get why out of all the Metroid Prime songs, they brought back the fairly forgettable Parasite Queen theme and not the actual main theme from the first game, or why remixes they put such time and effort into would be dropped. So weird. And the one version of Jungle Japes that actually makes sense to include got left out. Yeesh.

Pirate Ship and Hyrule Castle were both perfect opportunities to bring Molgera back too. I was happy that the latter had Termina Field again but... yeah. :/

I miss Multi-Man Melee 1 also...

Oh man. Alt colors.

Cloud should have totally gotten his dress as an alt. And then there's all that wasted potential with Olimar (Louie, the President, Brittany, Charlie).

Speaking of which, Smash NX needs to give Olimar back his six Pikmin. And then maybe add Rock Pikmin that do more shield damage/stun but can't cling.

SourceGaming found out that Rock Pikmin were planned but got cut, actually.

Miss Cloud would've been awesome but overall I'm happy with Cloud's alts. I think the Advent Children design's one of the few instances of a non-game entry in a series being acknowledged by Smash (though that's probably because AC is actually canon to the games).

OmegaFax

Would a full-scale reference model for Midgar even exist? I mean, given how pretty much all we saw of it in FFVII is pre-rendered, the Advent Children version wouldn't be the most accurate, etc.

There might be some concept art detailing its full map out there but who knows how accessible it is.

Square-Enix did a tech demo based on Final Fantasy VII for the PS3. A full-scale reference model of Midgar probably exists.

Oh man. Alt colors.

There was a missed opportunity to finish the Palutena's Guidance conversations for the rest of the DLC characters. They bought back the English and Japanese voice actors to do Bayonetta's reveal trailer. I wish someone would ask about this in an interview. Doesn't seem like it was a matter of money or availability. Was it something they couldn't patch in?

A day late, but if anyone cares, here's the second part of the interview that recently got translated. It talks about the DLC characters.

http://www.sourcegaming.info/2016/02/23/nintendo-dream-interview-with-sakurai-part-2/

Sakurai: Which is why I think we should forget about console wars and focus on what’s really important: enjoying the games themselves.

To y'all who insist Cloud (and Snake) shouldn't of been in Smash because "he wasn't born on a Nintendo console!", I'd take Sakurai's advice up here.

Jawmuncher

A day late, but if anyone cares, here's the second part of the interview that recently got translated. It talks about the DLC characters.

http://www.sourcegaming.info/2016/02/23/nintendo-dream-interview-with-sakurai-part-2/

To y'all who insist Cloud (and Snake) shouldn't of been in Smash because "he wasn't born on a Nintendo console!", I'd take Sakurai's advice up here.

Good Guy Sakurai. I think that mean we can cancel out Snake was cut for not being nintendo enough a second time.

Neoxon

That isn't much a problem when it comes to third parties, certainly. But he may have a problem if he tries to add someone from a first party competitor (or at least Nintendo may not be so keen on the possibility). I'm mainly talking about characters like Banjo & Kazooie.

That isn't much a problem when it comes to third parties, certainly. But he may have a problem if he tries to add someone from a first party competitor (or at least Nintendo may not be so keen on the possibility). I'm mainly talking about characters like Banjo & Kazooie.

Understandable but I was mainly referring to the weirdos who disliked Snake and Cloud being in because they weren't associated with Nintendo enough and how we should of gotten a Black Mage and Simon Belmont over them or something, despite not being as famous.

Yeah the selection of assists has been pretty good. I'd love to see some of them become characters eventually

I think Takamaru has a decent shot provided he gets another game.

You know a guilty pleasure choice of mine is Tingle, actually. I know a lot of people hate him but I think he's pretty funny. I wouldn't add him as a Zelda character, though. I think he'd more fitting as a representative of his own franchise much like Wario and Yoshi. Maybe if Nintendo bothers to produce more games like Rosy Rupeeland and (dare I say) actually release them in the US, they might promote him to playable status.

Boney

Banned
Sakurai probably gives less fucks about banjo kazooie than Bonk

L Thammy

Sakurai probably gives less fucks about banjo kazooie than Bonk

http://www.sourcegaming.info/2015/04/13/the-definitive-unused-fighters-list-in-smash/

In an e-mail response asking about including a character from Rare (Japanese), Sakurai stated that it was difficult to include a character from Rare for various reasons. While some may see Banjo and Kazooie’s inclusion as natural, they couldn’t make it in due to ‘adult circumstances’ (This most likely means copyright).

I still don't think it's going to happen, but hey.

What if the "adult circumstances" refer to the giant penis hidden in the dinosaur level of Banjo-Tooie?

Sakurai was surely dead set on using Terrydactyl land and nothing else, because Rare games consist entirely of jungle like locations in his mind.

L Thammy

What if the "adult circumstances" refer to the giant penis hidden in the dinosaur level of Banjo-Tooie?

I think it meant that all of HAL Lab's staff have gigantic furry fetishes and they wouldn't be able to focus on work if Banjo was in. Donkey Kong is already too much.

L Thammy

????????????????

In Japan. Binding Blade is the most popular game between the SNES and Awakening.

https://sites.google.com/site/japanltdrank/

Fire Emblem: Awakening - 460,568
Fire Emblem: Seisen no Keifu - 431,000
Fire Emblem: Fuuin no Tsurugi - 345,574 [Roy's game]
Fire Emblem: Rekka no Ken - 265,286 [Lyn's game]
Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon - 252,309
Fire Emblem: Shin Monshou no Nazo: Hikari to Kage no Eiyuu - 250,592
Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones - 246,719
Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn - 171,924
Fire Emblem: Thracia 776 - 158,695
Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance - 156,413

I still expect a Dragon Quest character to get added in before Geno or any SMRPG character. Now that a FF one has been added it's only a matter of time.

DQ has a huge, huge pull in Japan. Much bigger than Geno ever will (and I say that as a massive SMRPG fan)

Not sure who'd it be though. I'm guessing Terry from the Monsters games since those have all been mostly exclusive to Nintendo platforms (except for the PS1 remake of DQM1+2). The moveset could involve summoning different monsters ala Pokemon Trainer.

In Japan. Binding Blade is the most popular game between the SNES and Awakening.

https://sites.google.com/site/japanltdrank/

Fire Emblem: Awakening - 460,568
Fire Emblem: Seisen no Keifu - 431,000
Fire Emblem: Fuuin no Tsurugi - 345,574 [Roy's game]
Fire Emblem: Rekka no Ken - 265,286 [Lyn's game]
Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon - 252,309
Fire Emblem: Shin Monshou no Nazo: Hikari to Kage no Eiyuu - 250,592
Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones - 246,719
Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn - 171,924
Fire Emblem: Thracia 776 - 158,695
Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance - 156,413

Yeah but I mean, his game being popular/high-selling doesn't necessarily mean he's popular as a character. (e.g. Ike's is the worst-selling and he's almost universally beloved even independent of his inclusion in SSB.) Meh.

Sakurai was surely dead set on using Terrydactyl land and nothing else, because Rare games consist entirely of jungle like locations in his mind.

I felt like the reason we keep getting jungle levels is because he feels that setting is what most people might associate DK with, being a gorilla. Basically every DK game starts off with a jungle level of sorts.

In a way, you can sort of the say a similar thing with Mario. Mushroom Kingdom U, both Mario Circuits, Golden Plains, 3D Land, Mario Galaxy, etc all have a basic grassland theme to them.

In that sense, if Banjo & Kazooie were playable in Smash, I'd reckon their stage would be Spiral Mountain.

L Thammy

Yeah but I mean, his game being popular/high-selling doesn't necessarily mean he's popular as a character. (e.g. Ike's is the worst-selling and he's almost universally beloved even independent of his inclusion in SSB.) Meh.

There might be a better source than this (I've only seen it posted on GameFAQs), but this should be the results of the DLC character popularity poll found in Awakening's Knights of Iris book.

1 - Marth
2 - Lyn
3 - Roy
4 - Eirika
5 - Sigud
6 - Alm
7 - Ephraim
8 - Seliph
9 - Leif
10 - Ike

Akhe

I can taste the incoming salt.

Just relax and enjoy it...
Popcorn? = D

images%5Cpopcorn_guy_1.gif

Jezan

And meanwhile, Samus still fights by bashing her arm cannon against people instead of, you know, shooting shit from it.
She brought a gun to a sword fight to bash people with it :p

I think that Samus' playstyle is pretty fun, if it was closer to Mii Gunner, it would be really boring, fun or not she needs buff though :(

If Sakurai changes Ganondorf, all the spammers and kids who use him will riot.

And someone needs to ask him why he left Wolf out of the game when SFZ is almost here. That was a major fuckup.

I'd say the most likely answer is that Lucas took priority over Wolf as the returning Brawl veteran (while Roy was the returning Melee veteran) and ultimately he wanted to mainly focus on creating fully unique and fleshed out newcomers for Smash 4's DLC period, hence Ryu, Cloud, Bayonetta and Corrin turning out as they did.

I'd say the most likely answer is that Lucas took priority over Wolf as the returning Brawl veteran (while Roy was the returning Melee veteran) and ultimately he wanted to mainly focus on creating fully unique and fleshed out newcomers for Smash 4's DLC period, hence Ryu, Cloud, Bayonetta and Corrin turning out as they did.
SSB4 already brought back two characters from Melee before Roy, there was no good reason to bring back a third over a second Brawl character, especially one as redundant as Roy.

Maybe they're implying that Star Wolf isn't in the game.
I'm pretty sure we know Pigma at the very least is in the game.

SSB4 already brought back two characters from Melee before Roy, there was no good reason to bring back a third over a second Brawl character, especially one as redundant as Roy.

Dr. Mario wasn't DLC though, he was in the base game.

I like Source Gaming's theory about this: http://www.sourcegaming.info/2015/12/21/the-corrin-controversy/

Corrin is an example of Sakurai “boxing himself when it comes to character choices,” and it’s the same exact reason why Wolf was not a shoo-in, as Lucas was very clearly chosen as “the cut Brawl veteran.” This is purely based on how Sakurai has introduced every fighter, and may not be the way Sakurai has chosen these characters. Since DLC was limited, it makes sense to try to optimize it by selecting the overall fan favorite, the best cut Brawl fighter, the best cut Melee fighter, the best third-party rep, the best Final Fantasy rep, the best upcoming game rep—and lastly, the most realizable character from the Smash Ballot.

As for Mewtwo, it seemed like they planned him a long time before the other DLC characters, in fact, I get the feeling they were trying to get him into the base roster.

When the game was being leaked, notice how Mewtwo had a question mark over him unlike the other cut characters. I imagined they tried to get him on the initial roster but couldn't, so they planned him as a bonus for later on. I think the criteria they had for adding him was different from that of Lucas and Roy.

In that sense it sort of does sound like DLC post Mewtwo was determined in a vacuum of sorts, treated like its own individual project instead of something that built off of a foundation that already existed, which would explain how we ended up with six Fire Emblem characters. But I definitely stand by my assertion that that was the incorrect way to go about it. Both Melee character fans and Fire Emblem character fans had already been catered to well enough by the time Roy came around. A different approach should have been taken.

In the case of Wolf, I think Sakurai would've wanted to redo a good part of the animations much like how he smoothed out Wario. Wolf's animations were very jerky since he was rushed out with Toon Link and Jigglypuff, and Lucas' animations were already well done in Brawl since he was in development way before Wolf was. So the process of doing Lucas in Smash 4 should've been shorter or easier compared to Wolf.

Lucas fits well for the Brawl vet DLC, and IMO, Roy was the best choice for Melee veteran, I mean would Pichu really set the same surprise factor as Roy?

I'd also say Lucas in general was more important to his series than Wolf is to SF, honestly.

See, Lucas is actually the protagonist of his own game that he represents. I always felt having Ness alone was a pretty poor way to represent Mother as a whole, because he was only in EB and can't cover the other parts of the series. With Lucas back on the table, Mother 3 is represented again, and thus the two most popular and important games in the series both get their fair share of presence in Smash Bros. with playable characters. As a bit of a compensation for Mother 1, it's represented through a stage on the 3DS version.

Wolf on the other hand is sort of a minor mini-boss character. Fox and Falco are in every Star Fox game so cutting Wolf out doesn't exclude any installments of the series like Lucas and Mother 3. Ultimately, when you look at all the DLC characters, you'll notice that ALL of them are the protagonists of the games they came from, with the exception of Mewtwo, who's a Pokemon and therefore popular by default.

In the case of Wolf, I think Sakurai would've wanted to redo a good part of the animations much like how he smoothed out Wario. Wolf's animations were very jerky since he was rushed out with Toon Link and Jigglypuff, and Lucas' animations were already well done in Brawl since he was in development way before Wolf was. So the process of doing Lucas in Smash 4 should've been shorter or easier compared to Wolf.

Lucas fits well for the Brawl vet DLC, and IMO, Roy was the best choice for Melee veteran, I mean would Pichu really set the same surprise factor as Roy?
Roy had more work put into redoing his animations than Wolf would have required, and Roy was really the only choice for a Melee veteran because they had already included the two other choices they could have potentially pulled.

Lucas over Wolf absolutely makes sense (though I disagree that he's necessary to Earthbound's representation), but I really don't think another Melee veteran was necessary at all.

Hermii

Smash 5 to feature Geno and James Bond. But no Ridley.

Honestly, whenever I see a character costume or an assist trophy, I wonder if Sakurai hasn't considered them as a playable rep. There are a number of cases where we know he has.

It would have to be Pierce Brosnan bond.

Roy had more work put into redoing his animations than Wolf would have required, and Roy was really the only choice for a Melee veteran because they had already included the two other choices they could have potentially pulled.

Lucas over Wolf absolutely makes sense (though I disagree that he's necessary to Earthbound's representation), but I really don't think another Melee veteran was necessary at all.
Lucas was apparently more popular tha Wolf, and they decided to only do three vets. At least according to the interview.

Top Bottom