• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sakurai considered Geno for Super Smash Bros. Brawl/4

Sponge

Banned
As some who will admit they wanted Geno in Brawl, I gave up after that game came out and realized that I just wasn't being reasonable with that request.

Then we got a costume in Smash 4 and that's more than I could ever ask for. I use it all the time.

KingWool

Banned
Remember a while back when the Smash 6 job listing was up? Some would think that would be a "Super Smash Bros for NX", considering Smash 6 when Sakurai considered the 3DS version "Smash 4" and the Wii U version "Smash 5". If everything adds up it would have been in development for a while now, giving time for this "up-port" to be much more than that. I don't think simply porting the Wii U version over straight up would really cut it when the NX needs to be pushed hardcore. Additional characters exclusive to the NX (assuming they buck the parity rule that the 3DS and Wii U versions had) would generate buzz and sales.

It would be a very smart thing to do, is all I'm saying. Not that it will necessarily will happen, but it's something to think about.

All content from 3DS and Wii U with additional chars/stages and they got my $60.

Sioul

We need that 9999 dmg Geno Whirl in Smash

GenoWhirlAnimation.gif

I'd love to hear why he didn't make it in.

I always did like Geno as a character, but I just thought he'd be a strange inclusion, due to the fact that he's a one-off character from a Mario spinoff game from years ago.

Honestly, I couldn't think of a better reason for why he should be in the game. Just give me all the deep cuts my ass can handle. I should be fucking up the elf from the Brownie Brown logo as a deck of Hanafuda cards, god damn it.

http://www.sourcegaming.info/2016/02/21/nintendodream3/

Geno:

—What led you to decide to make a Geno costume after all this time?

Sakurai: To tell the truth, it’s because I wanted Geno to be a playable character. He has a gun for a hand, and I think he fits in really well with Smash. During Brawl, I thought it would be great if I could add him, but in the end it didn’t become a reality.

—Because of that, you added him as a Mii Costume this time?

Sakurai: That’s right. He’s very popular. When talking about older characters, Geno always gets a lot of requests. He didn’t appear as a fighter, but I was able to achieve something kind of close to that as a Mii Costume.

Neoxon

So he put Cloud in instead. GG.
Sakurai honestly made the right call. Cloud definitely turned more heads as DLC than Geno would have. That being said, Geno would be great as a base roster addition for Smash 5 (assuming that Square-Enix signs off on it).

My main question is if he'd count as a Mario character or his own franchise.

FSLink

Banned
Dammit Sakurai. So Sector Z wasn't added as a retro DLC stage due to Corneria already being in.
... But that stage isn't in the Wii U version. Gah.

Ryce

My main question is if he'd count as a Mario character or his own franchise.
Definitely Mario. Mario is still the star of the game. Plus, Mario Kart, Paper Mario, and the other Mario RPGs are considered part of the Mario series in Smash Bros.

...But decided that Corrin was far more marketable suited to the series
Corrin is the lead character of a brand new first-party game. Geno is a tertiary party member from a twenty-year-old third-party game.

You know, back when I was 10 and actually really wanted Geno in Brawl (i've calmed down since then lol), I thought of the ways he'd be incorporated into the Subspace Emissary. I believe i imagined the other characters would wound up in a forest somewhere and they see Geno wandering around, and thus the stage would consist of following him through the woods while fighting enemies just like in Super Mario RPG. This would play obviously.

I also imagined Smithy being one of the bosses, ha.

Neoxon

Definitely Mario. Mario is still the star of the game. Plus, Mario Kart, Paper Mario, and the other Mario RPGs are considered part of the Mario series in Smash Bros.
I only asked because unlike the examples you listed, Square-Enix owns anyone original to Super Mario RPG.

Corrin is the lead character of a brand new first-party game. Geno is a tertiary party member who's owned by a third party from a twenty-year-old game.
FTFY

I still think it's annoying that the Golden Hammer is listed as a Super Mario item when they established Wrecking Crew as its own universe.

The Dr Mario viruses are an "other" trophy, while Doc himself and all of his music are Mario series.

Yoshi trophies are a mess too. People like Kamek and Baby Mario aren't Yoshi characters apparently. Even though Baby Mario was a Yoshi trophy in Melee, and Kamek started life as a Yoshi character.

Ryce

I only asked because unlike the examples you listed, Square-Enix owns anyone original to Super Mario RPG.
Yeah, Geno's in a unique position, but I still think he'd be considered a regular Mario character. I also imagine that someone like Lana would be considered a Zelda character rather than a Hyrule Warriors character (not that she'd ever be included).

Yoshi trophies are a mess too. People like Kamek and Baby Mario aren't Yoshi characters apparently. Even though Baby Mario was a Yoshi trophy in Melee, and Kamek started life as a Yoshi character.
To be fair, Kamek is probably considered a Mario character in this game because he's a stage element in the Mushroom Kingdom U stage.

You know, back when I was 10 and actually really wanted Geno in Brawl (i've calmed down since then lol), I thought of the ways he'd be incorporated into the Subspace Emissary. I believe i imagined the other characters would wound up in a forest somewhere and they see Geno wandering around, and thus the stage would consist of following him through the woods while fighting enemies just like in Super Mario RPG. This would play obviously.

I also imagined Smithy being one of the bosses, ha.

Man this makes me feel OLD

Anyway, as I've said in previous threads, I've always been in that "Geno would be cool, but it's totally understandable why he isn't" camp. The maddening thing is, as pointed out, is that now for the next Smash there's going to be people hoping for him because Sakurai said this. If he didn't I think people would have given up by now.

Now I'm just hoping that maybe JUST MAYBE we can get another Square/Nintendo Mario RPG where they can bring him back giving him a much more viable reason to be in the next Smash. At least get Shimomura to do a new Forest Maze remix for a Mario stage. GAWD!

I think it's safe to assume that anyone who made it in as a Mii costume or even assist trophy was probably considered for the roster.

Yukinari

They played Mario RPG music in the trailer for the Geno outfit but couldnt have the decency to actually put any songs from that game into Smash. Not to mention only having 2 songs on Midgar.

I wanna say Square is the bad guy but they have no problem adding music from FF and Mario RPG into the Mario spin-offs they produce for Nintendo.

OmegaFax

Yeah that's the sense I've gotten. With how anemic the Cloud content was, it feels like SE was being kind of stingy

Thing that really gets me is the Japanese VO for Cloud. Should have left him silent like Mewtwo (who had a spoken lines in the Japanese SSB4). There's at least an explanation for Roy and Marth in order to make them distinct from the other FE characters that do speak English. Cloud's just cheap. They've had Steve Burton playing Cloud for a number of years for Kingdom Hearts and Advent Children (and a number of other games where Cloud has appeared).

Fat Chocobo was considered for the Midgar stage? Weird. Pirate Ship not being on the 3DS version because it wouldn't work is confirmation of an old theory too.

Kinda sad that Geno was apparently seriously considered at some point but Ridley is still an impossibility. sakurai pls

MisterHero

I wanna say Square is the bad guy but they have no problem adding music from FF and Mario RPG into the Mario spin-offs they produce for Nintendo.
lol they put in a bunch of SE characters in Mario Sports games / Fortune Street but not Geno.

maybe he costs extra money

SE probably wants to have their top characters represented, so Geno didn't get priority in that case.

But yeah, interesting interview. I wish he went into why Shiva was absent though.

Midgar

—It’s amazing how you can see the city recreated in the background.

Sakurai: Since there wasn’t a model that we could reference, we had to recreate it from scratch. It was very difficult.

—I thought you would have been offered the data.

Sakurai: We collected pictures and materials ourselves, and consulted those while making the stage.

hahaha, wow, nice one square.

On the subject of lesser Square characters, besides Geno I'd actually would love to see Crono included.

Chrono Trigger wasn't exactly a game changer in the same way Final Fantasy 7 was, but it still manages to be one of the most beloved and fondly remembered JRPGs ever. It's not too uncommon to see it on Top 5 RPG lists, hell, it's not too uncommon to see it be placed as #1 on those. When people talk about how great oldschool Squaresoft was in their prime, if they're not thinking about one of the Final Fantasy games, they'll usually think about Chrono Trigger.

I know a lot of people would bemoan the inclusion of "another anime swordsman" but to be fair, unless Takamaru becomes playable, we don't have someone who uses a katana, and he could also use lighting magic attacks. Maybe he could even have a mechanic where he summon his allies (Marle, Lucca, Frog, etc) to assist and power up his attacks as a way to represent double/triple techs, an important component of Chrono Trigger's gameplay.

Space Invader (this legitimately would be great for them to add as the next third-party rep)

I think a Space Invader stage or assist trophy would definitely further cement Smash Bros. as being a celebration of the entire gaming industry. In pop culture, Its pixelated enemy alien basically are a symbol of video games as a whole.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I hope in the next part of the interview Sakurai is asked the real hard hitting questions like: "Why did you agree to scrap the Sonic R songs but kept Seven Rings in Hand?"

OmegaFax

I hope in the next part of the interview Sakurai is asked the real hard hitting questions like: "Why did you agree to scrap the Sonic R songs but kept Seven Rings in Hand?"

More importantly, where's Sonic Boom?!

Edit: ... the Sonic CD song ... not to be confused with the TV series.

They didn't want to pay royalties to the singers of Super Sonic Racing and Sonic Boom, but Sega owns all the rights for Crush 40 songs, Seven Rings in Hand, etc.

Also why Green Hill Zone's the only song from Sonic 1 and 2. They didn't want to pay Masato Nakamura.

Now, for REALLY weird omissions I want to get in his grill about, what the hell happened to Molgera Battle, Melee Jungle Japes (despite its actual stage being in the game??) Checker Knights, Opening / Menu (Metroid Prime), and most of all, THIS masterpiece??

You have no idea how bummed I was when I realized Shaberu got cut. :|

Top Bottom