• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sakurai considered Geno for Super Smash Bros. Brawl/4

I think K. Rool also has some chances. When he didn't show up, there was some hubbub about it, and that hubbub might give Sakurai pause. Further, I think it's fair to say that K. Rool wouldn't have been as attractive a prospect for DLC. But yeah, if they do semi-substantial additions to the roster, I predict:

1. King K. Rool
2. Inklings
3. Ice Climbers
4. Wolf
5. Chorus Kids (or equivalent Rhythm Heaven character)
6. Takamaru
7. Geno

And want:

8. Captain Syrup
9. King Hippo
10. Tingle

MageBoySA

I read this thread and it confused me. I forgot who Geno was and just started thinking "Why would they put a hockey player in a Nintendo game?"

After looking at the article and looking up Geno, I realized I haven't played Super Mario RPG in way too long.

Kjellson

But I support Takamaru too >.>
I know.

I don't know if you remember this, but we did an avatar bet wether Takamaru would be playable or not. I obviously won, and also said that he won't be playable in 50 years when they will start running out of ideas.

So maybe he'll be playable in 48 years or so, lol.

Kinsei

Banned
Of all the one off RPG party members he wants Geno in? Okay.

I suppose it could be worse, he could want to add Mallow.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I know.

I don't know if you remember this, but we did an avatar bet wether Takamaru would be playable or not. I obviously won, and also said that he won't be playable in 50 years when they will start running out of ideas.

So maybe he'll be playable in 48 years or so, lol.

Shush, it's okay. I know you lost a bet to me that you think Mallo (Pushmo) would be playable character in the game. /idareyoutorememberyouravatar :p

can someone ask the dude about snake already so I can get some closure.

I wish Sakurai was a little more open about who's in or not, why someone didn't make it, etc.

Anyone remember how during MVC3's speculation period, Niitsuma would just go around and mercilessly deconfirmed characters left and right? lol

I wish Sakurai was a little more open about who's in or not, why someone didn't make it, etc.

Anyone remember how during MVC3's speculation period, Niitsuma would just go around and mercilessly deconfirmed characters left and right? lol

I think he's being tight-lipped because if he says the wrong thing, it might indicate who will be in a future Smash game.

MisterHero

Assuming 90% of 4's cast remains and if the DLC characters remain, Smash 5 will have the greatest fighting game roster ever. And they'll keep adding characters.

Forkball

I was surprised that Geno even got a costume. I know he's popular, but he's still fairly obscure as a side character of a 20 year old game that was only re-released once on the VC.

It's no secret that we're getting to the bottom of the barrel for Smash fighters. There are some obvious big ones that could included, like Isabelle and the Inklings, but if they want to put in a dozen new characters like they do every game, they are going to need to do some stretching.

L Thammy

Assuming 90% of 4's cast remains and if the DLC characters remain, Smash 5 will have the greatest fighting game roster ever. And they'll keep adding characters.

Smash 5 is totally going to be the Street Fighter III of the series. All the vets are gone except Mario and Luigi. Instead we get all new Nintendo stars like Stanley the Bugman, Foreman Spike, Mach Rider, and Gooey.

It's no secret that we're getting to the bottom of the barrel for Smash fighters. There are some obvious big ones that could included, like Isabelle and the Inklings, but if they want to put in a dozen new characters like they do every game, they are going to need to do some stretching.
One word: Wonderful

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
can someone ask the dude about snake already so I can get some closure.

Same here but I don't think he want to risk to cause something between Konami and Nintendo so I think he's going to stay silence on that one.

Which essentially confirmed She-Hulk for us. Someone asked Seth, "Is one of our favorite lawyer going to be in the game?" Seth teased that one of the lawyer would be playable character which could be Daredevil, Phoenix Wright or She-Hulk. Someone disconfirmed Daredevl, then someone else disconfirmed Phoenix Wright then it ended up being She-Hulk in MVC3. I was so thrilled that she finally become playable character, along with Thor.

I think he's being tight-lipped because if he says the wrong thing, it might indicate who will be in a future Smash game.

Yep so I wonder if it meant anything for Geno now. I meant if Sakurai is going to add new characters for Smash Bros NX then he would have been tight lipped about it. Therefore, I might be right to believe in my expectation where we wouldn't get any new contents.

Kinsei

Banned
Same here but I don't think he want to risk to cause something between Konami and Nintendo so I think he's going to stay silence on that one.

Which essentially confirmed She-Hulk for us. Someone asked Seth, "Is one of our favorite lawyer going to be in the game?" Seth teased that one of the lawyer would be playable character which could be Daredevil, Phoenix Wright or She-Hulk. Someone disconfirmed Daredevl, then someone else disconfirmed Phoenix Wright then it ended up being She-Hulk in MVC3. I was so thrilled that she finally become playable character, along with Thor.

Yep so I wonder if it meant anything for Geno now. I meant if Sakurai is going to add new characters for Smash Bros NX then he would have been tight lipped about it. Therefore, I might be right to believe in my expectation where we wouldn't get any new contents.

Or it just means we'll get no new characters from the ground up and we'll just get returning vets and possibly the Chorus Kids.

jph139

Goddamn. Vindication at last.

This says to me that Geno is definitely in the cards for the next game. They couldn't get the rights for Brawl. They could have for Smash 4, but he'd be an awful DLC choice. But for "obscure old school newcomer" in Smash 5? Assuming their relationship with Square holds, I think the odds are good.

Sakurai the dream maker. The man just keeps on giving.

MisterHero

Smash 5 is totally going to be the Street Fighter III of the series. All the vets are gone except Mario and Luigi. Instead we get all new Nintendo stars like Stanley the Bugman, Foreman Spike, Mach Rider, and Gooey.
lmao

Shy Guy can be the Q equivalent

Don't forget Sukapon, Starman from Pro Wrestling, Nester, and Jimmy T.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
It will be very interesting to see if he appears in an NX remaster or down the line now. After all, Square Enix is obviously open to their characters in Smash.

Confirmed for Smash for NX remaster.

Bond was actually considered for either 64 or Melee, I forget which.

The licence was firmly in EA's hands by Melee's time. I'd figure it would be the first Smash, especially since Joanna would make more sense for Melee, and indeed the Japanese version has the model from Perfect Dark for the proxy mines, with all versions having the Cloaking Device straight from that game.

Edit: Yup, Smash 64 and the Western versions of Melee have Goldeneye's proxy mine instead, though all versions of Melee keep the cloaking device design, which is straight from Perfect Dark.

Very interesting. The Geno mii costume joins Heihachi, Takamaru, and Chrom as characters that were confirmed to be considered on some level for Smash Brothers Wii U. I wonder if King K. Rool was also considered for Smash Brothers Wii U /3DS, at least for the DLC. Regardless, I'm happy we got the costume. It's better to have some acknowledgement instead of nothing.

If Sakurai considered an old character like Geno, this gives me hope for K. Rool on the NX!

Go K. Rool!!!

Toxi

Banned
No problem, the upcoming Fire Emblem games have enough characters to replace the entire roster and then some.

dangeraaron10

Unconfirmed Member
A fellow of mine from Smashboards made some comments about how likely the Smash 6 job listing was for a "definitive" NX game that was co-developed as the times went on, which opens up the possibility of new characters added to help increase appeal of the new game, which if launched alongside the NX platform, could help push sales. The idea that characters that became Mii Costumes throughout the Ballot phase, like Geno, King K. Rool, and the Inklings could be foretelling their inclusion in the next Smash iteration if this NX version has been in the works. It's clear that Bayonetta must have been worked on and also negotiated during the Ballot while it was live, possibly giving credibility that some Mii costumes of highly requested characters were at worst consolation prizes and at best a sign of what's to come.

I can't get re-hyped for K. Rool in Smash (even if he's a "If you can't have Ridley" to me), I have a feeling I will be let down again.

IntelliHeath, don't you get me down. We're getting 80 characters in NX :[

EDIT: The Street Fighter III analogy is lacking. You'd have to bring back Samus as the Chun-Li and Bowser as Akuma.

L Thammy

EDIT: The Street Fighter III analogy is lacking. You'd have to bring back Samus as the Chun-Li and Bowser as Akuma.

Well, I mean, of course there are going to be some paid DLC characters. Smash doesn't do revisions.

dangeraaron10

Unconfirmed Member

Heh, in all seriousness, I'll be surprised if we get one character, happy if we got 2 or more. I hope I didn't make a wrong decision decided to just hold out for the NX platform.

Boney

Banned
He would've been an awesome left field addition in Brawl but by Smash 4 he wouldn't have been a very exciting addition character wise.

If he were to get in I'd think he would've been a mini gunner replacement of sorts.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
I read the title and immediatly thought it was about this guy
latest

Heh, in all seriousness, I'll be surprised if we get one character, happy if we got 2 or more. I hope I didn't make a wrong decision decided to just hold out for the NX platform.

Even if we don't get much, I'm sure that the game will have the 3DS stages + Wii U stages, so even just that would be worth it.

Azure J

It's really cool hearing all this stuff from the man himself. I would definitely welcome all these dream characters making the jump eventually just to see the internet in full "IT'S CHRISTMAS" mode. :lol

21XX

Banned
Of all the one off RPG party members he wants Geno in? Okay.

I suppose it could be worse, he could want to add Mallow.

I don't like your tone...

I love how this little mention of Geno has basically started the 5mash speculation. Oh how quickly the cycles begin, haha.

Crocodile

I kind of feel like the Geno brigade from the Brawl days just got vindicated after years of ridicule.

Sakurai dont open this box

The Geno fanbase will come back stronger than ever during Smash 5 speculation, eh? Oh boy.

Yeah I'm not a fan of this "development" for this reason :(

What I really find amusing is that so far, Sakurai has announced that he considered Takamaru and Geno, but not King K. Rool.

Shows the man has some taste
#Kappa

Geno isn't any more of a one-off character than Bayonetta or Shulk. Takamura isn't that obscure considering Nintendo did release the NES/Famicom version on the Virtual Console recently. Heck, Lucas could be considered the most obscure since Mother 3 hasn't been released outside of Japan (but in two Smash games).

My personal belief is that I think the deal with Square-Enix was pretty cut and dry on their IP ... they got Cloud, the stage, two songs, rights to do the Amiibo, Chocobo costume, and Geno. Cloud's the only 3rd party character to only come with just the bare minimum trophies for Classic/All-Star + the Final Smash for the Wii U edition. No extra trophies for any other FF characters or any remixes or music outside of the two for the Midgar stage. I was crossing my fingers that they'd include a music track from Super Mario RPG like "Beware the Forest's Mushrooms" for Smash Run or as alternate stage music since I think the track was cut from Brawl. Kind of feel like Square-Enix doing any of this was a friggin' miracle. Cloud's inclusion did for me what Snake did for Brawl ... my favorite left field IP that's fun to play. Geno Mii costume was icing on the cake.

Yeah that's the sense I've gotten. With how anemic the Cloud content was, it feels like SE was being kind of stingy

I think with this news, it's more likely than ever that Super Smash Bros. on NX will feature Takamaru and Geno. It just straight up feels like a "They were this close, but hey, maybe if I hear some noise wink wink" situation.

When you say Smash NX, do you mean an up-port of Smash 4 (the common rumor) or do you mean the legit next Smash game. Why do you think they would add characters to an up-port?

dangeraaron10

Unconfirmed Member
When you say Smash NX, do you mean an up-port of Smash 4 (the common rumor) or do you mean the legit next Smash game. Why do you think they would add characters to an up-port?

Remember a while back when the Smash 6 job listing was up? Some would think that would be a "Super Smash Bros for NX", considering Smash 6 when Sakurai considered the 3DS version "Smash 4" and the Wii U version "Smash 5". If everything adds up it would have been in development for a while now, giving time for this "up-port" to be much more than that. I don't think simply porting the Wii U version over straight up would really cut it when the NX needs to be pushed hardcore. Additional characters exclusive to the NX (assuming they buck the parity rule that the 3DS and Wii U versions had) would generate buzz and sales.

It would be a very smart thing to do, is all I'm saying. Not that it will necessarily will happen, but it's something to think about.

Top Bottom