• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Salon: Trevor Noah will never, ever be good at his job — also, thanks a lot for Trump

Status
Not open for further replies.
Salon is garbage.

Seriously what a stupid article.

Btw if the first line of defense for the left is a political comedy show the left is in trouble.

Good thing that the idea that that is the case is insane and total bullshit.

Btw Noah had an amazing segment tackling Sanders.

Sheroking

Btw if the first line of defense for the left is a political comedy show the left is in trouble.

The Daily Show under Stewart was politically monumental. I don't see how this could be denied.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Noah was never and will never be a suitable replacement for Jon Stewart, but over the past several months, he's grown on me. He's actually a pretty funny dude (his segment on Ted Cruz's affinity for canned meat was great), who does surprisingly good impressions.

My biggest problem with the guy is that he doesn't seem to actually know much about politics. You could definitely tell this by watching his interviews with conservatives. Stewart would actually push back when his guests tried to bullshit him, but Noah just nods and moves on to the next topic. He doesn't seem to know much about the subject beyond what his writers give him.

The difference between Noah and Stewart will not simply be the fact that Noah is an outsider to the U.S. political process—it will be that Noah just doesn’t care that much.

This is something that actually bothered me when they announced him as the person taking over. Part of what made John so great was that he was an American through and through. Yes, a voice coming from the outside to point out how screwed up we are here in America can be great as John Oliver proved (though he also makes a great example of someone who comes across as really invested in the US now), but you could really feel the exasperation behind what Stewart said because he truly felt like he was suffering alongside the rest of us when he witnessed all the bullshit that was happening. He felt the frustrations most of us feel as Americans, but he also did a great job at reflecting the pride that we can have in the good parts of the US. This is our home and we want the best for it and many of us don't want to leave even in the face of the bad things here. It may not be true, but I can't help but feel like Noah just doesn't feel the same sort of stakes or connection to the US that someone like Stewart has.

I dunno.

yami4ct

Btw Noah had an amazing segment tackling Sanders.

Political Satire is the section of media on the left that does have the most teeth. There are good traditional left news media out there, but they aren't doing the same kind of work the right is putting in. It is a problem.

Big-E

I don't see why anybody cares. I am of the opinion that all the spin off shows from the daily show (Colbert Report, Last Week Tonight and Samantha Bee's show) were and are superior to Jon Stewart Daily Show. Go some where else as 2 of those 3 shows are still on and are arguably much better than Jon Stewart's show.

Parshias7

Article got awkward near the end when it swapped from "Trevor Noah isn't funny." to "Why is Trevor Noah being so mean to Bernieeeeeeeeee?"

dave is ok

aztek is ok
Michele Ganeless, the president of the network, just had to step down because replacing Stewart/Colbert with Noah/Wilmore has been a ratings disaster

This seems like one of those articles that exists solely for the purpose of being brought up in five years to laugh and how inaccurate it turns out to be.

I mean, I'm not confident it will be wrong, I haven't watched much of Noah's show, but it just has that kind of feel.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Michele Ganeless, the president of the network, just had to step down because replacing Stewart/Colbert with Noah/Wilmore has been a ratings disaster

This is what happens when you try to bring multiple black guys together. Dwayne McDuffie warned us of this.

The Daily Show under Stewart was politically monumental. I don't see how this could be denied.

You can't deny that it had impact, but watching it basically served as a surrogate for actually doing anything for a lot of people. It was enough to laugh at whoever/whatever was on display. The times that Jon went hard on the show, like REALLY hard, on something like racism you could feel the audience ice over.

Half of those years were Bush years. Didn't see Jon Stewart helping Kerry win in 04.

And Stewart was not a factor in helping Obama.

Stewart's biggesy accomplishment other than the popularity of the show was killing the original Crossfire.

Politically I'm sorry I see no indication that he had any power. He certainly would not have stopped Trump's rise, a rise btw he blames on the Democrats lol.

Kreed

IS there even a they? This lady has been hitting at Trevor Noah pretty hard since the switch.
the first article was amused..by the fifth I knew it was a thing.

^This. Two of these negative Trevor articles a month from Salon after he started was more than enough.

This is something that actually bothered me when they announced him as the person taking over. Part of what made John so great was that he was an American through and through. Yes, a voice coming from the outside to point out how screwed up we are here in America can be great as John Oliver proved (though he also makes a great example of someone who comes across as really invested in the US now), but you could really feel the exasperation behind what Stewart said because he truly felt like he was suffering alongside the rest of us when he witnessed all the bullshit that was happening. He felt the frustrations most of us feel as Americans, but he also did a great job at reflecting the pride that we can have in the good parts of the US. This is our home and we want the best for it and many of us don't want to leave even in the face of the bad things here. It may not be true, but I can't help but feel like Noah just doesn't feel the same sort of stakes or connection to the US that someone like Stewart has.

I dunno.

This is my problem with Noah as well. If you're going to be the face of the most revered and biting political satire in the United States you don't necessarily have to be a natural born citizen but you do have to be both invested and familiar with the country and its problems.

RoKKeR

This is my problem with Noah as well. If you're going to be the face of the most revered and biting political satire in the United States you don't necessarily have to be a natural born citizen but you do have to be both invested and familiar with the country and its problems.

Is this really how some people saw The Daily Show?

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Salon is garbage.

This. Salon is a total joke.

That said I honestly haven't watched a single episode of Trevor Noah TDS and it seems like nobody is ever talking about it. I wonder how long of a grace period they'll give him if the ratings are really bad.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Most of my friends just send each other clips of Last Week Tonight, so I doubt it.

Yeah, I've never once seen one clip of Trevor's show on Reddit or elsewhere. It was almost a daily occurrence that a segment from Jon's show would go 'viral'.

Big-E

There are other shows out there. What does it matter who is in the chair for the Daily Show when there are other shows out there doing the same thing? Daily Show was the only show at the time but it ain't any more.

Lenz44

Banned
The thing that bothers me the most with the show is the constant voice impersonation for everyone that he's making fun of. Sure it's funny in small doses a la Lindsay Graham, but it seems like most people he tries to go after he has to copy their voice in a "zany" and exaggerated way. We get it, most people talk different, it's not clever or funny.

ctfg23

He's not as good as Jon, but I didn't expect him to be, and it's been less than a year. The correspondents/field pieces are still great as well.

I mean, I don't think Noah is funny or insightful at all. I think his pieces have no punch to them.

But the people at Salon seem to actively hate him.

This article is garbage but I can't really get into the daily show. I mean to be fair I had pretty much stopped watching the daily show by the end of the Stewart run

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
The thing that bothers me the most with the show is the constant voice impersonation for everyone that he's making fun of. Sure it's funny in small doses a la Lindsay Graham, but it seems like most people he tries to go after he has to copy their voice in a "zany" and exaggerated way. We get it, most people talk different, it's not clever or funny.

He does it because Stewart did it. Stewart did the Bush impersonation/infliction during the Bush years.

megalowho

Bee and Oliver are the clear heirs apparent, Comedy Central should have seen that. I get the argument that without a passion for exposing bullshit TDS has lost its teeth. I'm still not sure how much Noah actually cares about politics.

Article is a bit over the top though, it's not like there aren't other options for political comedy.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery

I like his impressions. :(

Trident

Loaded With Aspartame
Really people forgot how he was Craig Killborn light for a while?

Jon built the framework from the ground up. Of course people expect a successor to be able to implement that formula in less time than it took TDS to create it.

Veelk

Banned
Trevor Noah is really good. He's not Jon Stewart, but he's not trying to be. He has his own style and it's effective. I like Jon Oliver better, sure, but that does not in any way diminish what Trevor does.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom