• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Saoirse Ronan Appreciation

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I'd say she's lost the weight she had put on, judging from the photos that surfaced as a result of her involvement with the Yes Equality campaign (there's an immediate difference between those and the photos of her from JDIFF earlier in the year), so good for her.

Anywho, as far as Fantastic Beasts is concerned, it's been said that A Fine Frenzy Alison Sudol is Yates' pick of the bunch for the role of Queenie, in which case Ronan's streak of bad luck is all but assuredly set to continue unabated. Regardless of how the cookie crumbles, at least the role of Tina went to somebody other than Kate Upton.

Edit: Filming on The Seagull started about a week ago.

JaseC

brooklynjkoga.jpg

And a trailer.

Edit: Fox has released snippets from Me, Earl and the Dying Girl here and there, so I assume Brooklyn will get the same treatment as its release date nears.

Edit edit: International version of the trailer.

Edit edit edit: New still:
2k3a608345qpx.jpg

JaseC

Saoirse's signed on for a lead role in a revival of The Crucible, a stage production, that will kick off next April:

This will mark the first time she's done theatre and follows an expression of interest back in 2013.

Also, she'll be a presenter at this year's Hollywood Foreign Press Grants Banquet, which takes place in just under a week:

Edit: Brooklyn is also going to be at NYFF, it seems.

Edit edit: Photos from the aforementioned HFPA banquet (more here):

Edit edit edit: Brooklyn will also be screening at the Atlantic Film Festival.

Edit^4: Apparently she and her parents started up a production company last year and it turned a healthy profit.

Edit^5: She'll be featured in the upcoming issue of The Gentlewoman:

It hits on the 4th, apparently, but this edit is going to be my last update to the thread unless it's bumped by somebody as we're closing in on a month of me talking to myself.

this edit is going to be my last update to the thread unless it's bumped by somebody as we're closing in on a month of me talking to myself.

You should consider making new posts instead of editing. I don't get a note in my subscription box from a edit.

JaseC

You should consider making new posts instead of editing. I don't get a note in my subscription box from a edit.

Well, I make new posts if I feel the news warrants a bump, such as earlier in the month when her involvement in The Crucible was announced, but since this thread doesn't see much attention, it's a bit of a delicate situation as I want to avoid it turning into a sea of my own posts more than necessary. Additionally, the primary function of this thread is to keep track of her professional career, which is why I don't bother posting things like candids as her personal life is nobody's business but her own. To drive the point home, threads that devolve into "_____ sure is looking good" are locked quick-smart, however the reason this thread still exists despite the dozens upon dozens of images is that I don't bump the thread with photos unless they're accompanied by interviews. I mean, I'd be lying if I said Saoirse didn't wear red very well, but the addition of things like the HFPA photos are asides to the effect of "Here's what else has happened" rather a suggestive "Damn yo, dem legs".

To be perfectly clear, I don't consider this thread my own little slice of GAF or whatever. People should feel free to contribute to the discussion here, positive or otherwise, without feeling as though they first need a green light.

Edit: This year's London Film Festival has been added to Brooklyn's ever-growing slate of pre-release screening venues.

Edit^2: Add VIFF to that list, too.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
She looks so grown up in that poster, compared to when she was in Hannah and before.

Joni

They pasted her facial features on Meryl Streep's head with that poster. It doesn't look anything like the still.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
They pasted her facial features on Meryl Streep's head with that poster. It doesn't look anything like the still.

I'm also pretty sure that there's a color change somewhere. Obvious photoshop is obvious.

JaseC

I just saw a trailer for Brooklyn :D in cinemas November 6th.

Transmission has yet to confirm an AU release date. :( All upcoming releases listed on its website are just "Coming Soon".

Edit: Saoirse attended the annual ISPCC luncheon yesterday. Nothing in the way of interviews, but there are a bunch of pics.

Also, scans of the Gentlewoman issue mentioned several posts above are floating around, but the feature is nothing more than a few photos and a couple of paragraphs explaining who she is.

Edit edit: Brooklyn will, fittingly, have its debut public screening in Enniscorthy (Ireland) on October 28:

There was news of a push to have the film premiere in Ennicorthy earlier in the year and it seems that, despite the initial doubt, just about everything worked out in the end (Dublin will play host to the actual premiere, as stated above, on October 22).

NOW Magazine has posted a new interview online as part of its TIFF 2015 coverage, which is also the feature of the new issue that hit yesterday.

Also, The Crucible, the upcoming Broadway production that she's in, has an end date:

And finally, Brooklyn's festival run has been expanded for the umpteenth time to include two CIFFs: the Calgary International Film Festival and the Chicago International Film Festival.

Save you a magazine JaseC? It has her on the cover. Did a double take, as I walked past it this morning in the stand.

She is a really good actress, very good at accents as well. I have enjoyed a lot of her movies. She's lucky to have had a lot of great roles in a wide variety of movies and doesn't seem to have been pigeon holed in crappy movies like some women her age are.

JaseC

TIFF stuff:

088r9u58.jpg

003i0uen.jpg

More here.

0116cump.jpg

More here.

002chujt.jpg

More here.

005gzuhs.jpg

More here.

0012guj4.jpg

More here.

001i1uke.jpg

0016cu8v.jpg

More here.

004szl1g.jpg

More here.

001n1uub.jpg

001bzufq.jpg

001ccu4o.jpg

0014au9u.jpg

001pps1m.jpg

001afsy1.jpg

00158svz.jpg

0025osjf.jpg

More here.

There are only a few interviews at this stage, but I'm sure more will surface over the coming days, in which case I'll edit them into this post.

And finally, apparently she received a standing ovation. Go get that Oscar, Saoirse.

Edit: Cineplex interview and Andpop kindasorta-interview. Also, bits and pieces of the post-screening Q&A:

- Part 1
- Part 2
- Part 3
- Part 4
- Part 5

Edit edit: Variety interview and Vanity Fair interview.

Edit edit edit: Behind the Velvet Rope interview and BTVRtv interview.

Edit^4: ET Online interview that I forgot to move into this post and an "edited version" of her interview with Awards Circuit.

Edit^5: Smart Entertainment interview.

Edit^6: Nuke the Fridge interview.

Edit^7: DP/30 interview.

JaseC

JaseC

I noticed last night that she's deleted her Twitter account for some reason. The internet being the internet, my first thought was that maybe harassment was to blame, so I searched for her name and went back more than a week, but nothing stood out -- the vast majority of tweets are effusive praise for her performance in Brooklyn. She generally didn't tweet often (once every few months or so) and said as much herself to ET Online, so she probably just decided that there was no point in keeping the account active if she wasn't going to regularly use it; although she was particularly active this year due to issues such as Ireland's referendum on same-sex marriage and in fact tweeted her support for the We the People campaign just ~a couple of weeks ago.

UberTag

And finally, apparently she received a standing ovation. Go get that Oscar, Saoirse.
I was part of that standing ovation. Those are always fun to be a part of.

Oscar, on the other hand, may be a little hard to come by. Saoirse was part of a 3-way logjam for the final two nomination slots for Best Actress heading into the start of festival season with Brie Larson (Room) and Lily Tomlin (Grandma) and the momentum is clearly with Room and Larson right now (even though I personally feel Saoirse's performance was easily better; Larson was constantly being upstaged by young Jacob Tremblay.

Of course, this is simply the nomination fight I'm talking about. The actual Best Actress trophy is more than likely going to go to one of the three established front-runners... Carey Mulligan (Suffragette), Cate Blanchett (Carol) or Jennifer Lawrence (Joy). The last of which could still presumably bomb and be awful but given David O. Russell's track record with Jennifer Lawrence (2 for 2 in Oscar noms and 1 Best Actress win) this seems rather unlikely.

JaseC

I was part of that standing ovation. Those are always fun to be a part of.

Oscar, on the other hand, may be a little hard to come by. Saoirse was part of a 3-way logjam for the final two nomination slots for Best Actress heading into the start of festival season with Brie Larson (Room) and Lily Tomlin (Grandma) and the momentum is clearly with Room and Larson right now (even though I personally feel Saoirse's performance was easily better; Larson was constantly being upstaged by young Jacob Tremblay.

Of course, this is simply the nomination fight I'm talking about. The actual Best Actress trophy is more than likely going to go to one of the three established front-runners... Carey Mulligan (Suffragette), Cate Blanchett (Carol) or Jennifer Lawrence (Joy). The last of which could still presumably bomb and be awful but given David O. Russell's track record with Jennifer Lawrence (2 for 2 in Oscar noms and 1 Best Actress win) this seems rather unlikely.

I'm feeling rather confident that she'll secure a nomination, but, yeah, I'm not going to get my hopes up and begin assuming she'll actually win, especially considering how much the Academy loves Lawrence. (To be fair, I've not yet seen Joy; who knows, maybe once I've done so I'll feel that she's actually deserving of an Oscar this time around.)

Edit: 30 signature celebrity dance moves (I cheated a bit and slightly edited the title).

Edit edit: Brooklyn will be at the Savannah Film Festival and the New Orleans Film Festival.

Wondering if JaseC will travel to here in UK for this as part of LFF :p

LFF Screen Talk: Saoirse Ronan (11th October 2015)
saoirse-ronan-001.jpg

The versatile, Oscar-nominated star of Atonement, The Grand Budapest Hotel and Brooklyn joins us to discuss her acting career. Ronan is currently filming several new projects and takes time to join us to discuss her acting career in this Screen Talk.

JaseC

Wondering if JaseC will travel to here in UK for this as part of LFF :p

LFF Screen Talk: Saoirse Ronan (11th October 2015)
saoirse-ronan-001.jpg

The versatile, Oscar-nominated star of Atonement, The Grand Budapest Hotel and Brooklyn joins us to discuss her acting career. Ronan is currently filming several new projects and takes time to join us to discuss her acting career in this Screen Talk.

Haha, sadly I couldn't justify travelling to a place I've little interest in holidaying in just to attend a film festival. ;) I've mentioned once or twice before that I'd like to attend TIFF at some point, though and that's still something I hope comes to fruition one day.

Edit: The Irish Sun has posted some interview snippets.

Edit edit: Brooklyn will be screening at the British Film Festival.

JaseC

Jason Isaacs says Saoirse won a Cabeflax award. Honestly, Stockholm, PA, was, frankly, very disappointing, even considering its tiny budget; it should have been her Martha Marcy May Marlene.

Edit: Brooklyn will be at the Philadelphia Film Festival.

Edit edit: Bunch of new stuff. Firstly, some photos from a few recent magazine photoshoots:

The Gentlewoman #12 said:
Cara (Oct/Nov 2015) said:

Glamor US (Nov) said:

Secondly, Saoirse's already pencilled in to win an award for Brooklyn:

And finally, said film is screening at another few festivals (St. Loius International Film Festival, Mill Valley Film Festival, Virginia Film Festival and the Hamptons International Film Festival), and there are roughly a dozen new stills:

JaseC

NYFF stuff. I usually ignore candids, but to kick things off, a small dose of "Aw":

Other photos:

03094l69.jpg

112nhy2e.jpg

More here.

004rmll8.jpg

006d4ah0.jpg

More here.

001o9b21.jpg

025eqap7.jpg

More here.

Not much in the way of interviews yet, just a couple of minutes of the Q&A and a brief article based on a few of the questions.

Edit: Behind the Velvet Rope interview. Also, here's the source of those snippets The Irish Sun published ~a couple of weeks ago (not a scan).

Edit edit: ArcLight interview.

Edit edit edit: Awards Daily interview.

Edit^4: Behind the Velvet Rope interview #2.

Edit^5: Examiner interview.

JaseC

BFI LFF stuff:

013kvsp8.jpg

More here.

095hubsl.jpg

0695lxdi.jpg

More here.

009f8lww.jpg

More here.

096ncxmn.jpg

001j4yjy.jpg

More here.

002hhs3d.jpg

More here.

As far as interviews go, Press Association has uploaded two short videos (I knew the Irish Independent must have pinched them from somewhere ;)), Hypable has published a written one and Hey U Guys recorded the press conference, which runs for a good half hour. I don't know if the Screentalk (first photo set above) was recorded, but hopefully it was.

Edit: Hey U Guys interview.

Edit edit: Hypable interview #2.

Edit edit edit: BFI has uploaded the aforementioned Screentalk and Zoomin has posted a short video.

Edit^4: Premiere Scene interview.

Edit^5: Soho Picture Book interview.

Edit^6: Into Film Clubs interview.

Edit^7: Another AP interview snippet.

-------------------------

In other news, there's a new UK trailer for Brooklyn and Saoirse will be a guest on this week's episode of TFI Friday.

Edit: New Childline promo video.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Holy crappy, some pictures make her look very grown up.

Thanks for the updates, Jase.

Shade

She is looking good as always. Thanks for the updates JaseC! Hopefully she is in more movies this (and next) year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom