• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Saoirse Ronan Appreciation

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Hey, I'm on the wall of shame (that's how it's called, right?)!

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
New Brooklyn clip.

Edit: And some new stills/BTS photos courtesy of MSN:

aafhmtyy4k76.jpg

aafheroskkiz.jpg

aafi1yti8jd1.jpg

aafhhpa1kk6f.jpg

aafhetuzmjmc.jpg

aafhwt0ynj8n.jpg

aafhcnu3njnh.jpg

Edit edit: Brooklyn will be at the FilmColumbia film festival and the Australian British Film Festival.

Edit edit edit: TFI Friday segment.

Edit^4: Brooklyn now has an official site (warning: auto-play music, but dat violin, though).

Edit^5: Lionsgate UK has uploaded a "sneak peak" (more of a teaser trailer/TV spot).

JaseC

I already booked my ticket for Brooklyn. I'll let you know how is it Jase ;)

Cool beans. It still doesn't have a release date here, but I might be able to make the second Australian British Film Festival screening (not the festival's actual name, but I like calling it that), which is mid next month... and all the way up in northern part of the city.

Edit: Saoirse will be attending the upcoming Variety and AARP Movies for Grownups Screening Series, alongside Crowley. There'll be a Q&A after Brooklyn's screening.

Edit edit: As above, but this time with regard to the LA Times Envelope Screening Series.

JaseC

Bunch of new stuff. Interviews:
- Irish Times
- New York Times
- Telegraph
- Wall Street Journal

Photos:
- Irish premiere of Brooklyn:

- Savannah Film Festival:

Brooklyn clips:
- http://www.hitfix.com/the-dartboard/see-saoirse-ronan-in-an-exclusive-clip-from-brooklyn
- http://metro.co.uk/2015/10/26/saoir...etti-skills-in-new-clip-for-brooklyn-5462179/
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqHyz4WoC2I
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2pXw_Q_Uw4

Regarding Saoirse's appearance on last week's episode of The Late Late Show, the episode doesn't seem to be region-locked, however for some bizarre reason RTE has its episode uploads expire after a month, so I ripped the episode and will upload Saoirse's segment somewhere after RTE pulls it down (or if it turns out the episode is region-locked to some degree). YouTube is a no-go as last time I was eventually slapped with a copyright infringement strike (evidently nothing says "I'm trying to steal your content!" like a few minutes of a two-hour show that people can no longer watch).

Anywho, to close things off, Saoirse will be part of this year's Indie Contenders Roundtable early next month.

Edit: TodayFM interview.

JaseC

Another bunch of stuff:

- A few more Brooklyn clips: one, two, three
- A few Brooklyn TV spots: one, two, three
- Brooklyn story featurette
- Backstage interview
- BBC Radio interview
- Bustle interview
- Elle UK info piece
- Image.ie interview
- JOE.ie interview
- (A handful of) LA Times interviews
- Minnie Melange interview
- Vogue interview
- WSAV interview (SFF)
- KCET Cinema Series Q&A
- NYFF Q&A
- Savannah Film Festival Q&A

- Brooklyn LA premiere photos:

- British Academy Britannia Awards photos:

And as mentioned the other day, she'll be receiving the New Hollywood Award tomorrow.

JaseC

Good for Saoirse. I hope Brooklyn is a second wind to her opportunities. She's too good to just fall off.

Yeah, its positive reception from critics and audiences alike is just the sort of thing she needs to wash away the stink that is The Host bombing, and Fox has been promoting the film something fierce. On a related note, I believe she'll be the youngest person ever to receive simultaneous BAFTA, Golden Globe and Oscar noms should fate align itself so.

Edit: I'll no longer be updating this thread. If someone else wants to take over, feel free.

Yeah, its positive reception from critics and audiences alike is just the sort of thing she needs to wash away the stink that is The Host bombing, and Fox has been promoting the film something fierce. On a related note, I believe she'll be the youngest person ever to receive simultaneous BAFTA, Golden Globe and Oscar noms should fate align itself so.

I noticed. I just saw posters for the movie all over the city.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me

Edit: I'll no longer be updating this thread. If someone else wants to take over, feel free.

No jase no!

Sanjeev Bhaskar interviews Saoirse Ronan

UberTag

Oscar, on the other hand, may be a little hard to come by. Saoirse was part of a 3-way logjam for the final two nomination slots for Best Actress heading into the start of festival season with Brie Larson (Room) and Lily Tomlin (Grandma) and the momentum is clearly with Room and Larson right now (even though I personally feel Saoirse's performance was easily better; Larson was constantly being upstaged by young Jacob Tremblay.

Of course, this is simply the nomination fight I'm talking about. The actual Best Actress trophy is more than likely going to go to one of the three established front-runners... Carey Mulligan (Suffragette), Cate Blanchett (Carol) or Jennifer Lawrence (Joy). The last of which could still presumably bomb and be awful but given David O. Russell's track record with Jennifer Lawrence (2 for 2 in Oscar noms and 1 Best Actress win) this seems rather unlikely.
Just to update my comments from late September, there's good news on the Oscar nom front. Tomlin's support base has collapsed while Saoirse's momentum has picked up. If she can start scooping up more awards on top of that New Hollywood Award win, it'll be impossible to deny her the Oscar nom and a bunch of others along with it. Additionally, the poor public response to Suffragette has dampened Mulligan's chances as well bringing her back down from the front-runners.

I would also say that Saoirse's chances of winning the Best Actress Oscar are also down from 6 weeks ago as the strong momentum behind Room has lifted Brie Larson to the front of the field. I don't believe she stays there but the momentum shift is quite evident.

Best case scenario for you guys is that Russell has an uncharacteristic misfire with Joy (which won't be screened anywhere until shortly before Christmas) as it will force Lawrence's supporters to have to flock to one of the other 4 actresses (Larson, Blanchett, Mulligan, Ronan) and shake up the category quite a bit. My money is still on Lawrence to win... or Blanchett if Joy falls flat... but the prospects for Saoirse's Oscar nom are looking rather bright.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Well, Jase, thanks for all the updates, I truly thank you for all the great updates. I'm sorry people are asses.

JaseC

After receiving a bunch of supportive PMs here on GAF and Steam across the past few days (some folks in the Steam thread even changed their avatars in a display of support), I've had a change of heart. Unfortunately, I came out of this looking like I was feeling unloved and desperate for attention, but there's nothing I can do about that. People will think what they think.

Anywho, going forward, I'll be dialing back what I post somewhat since Brooklyn blowing up as much as it has means making note of and linking to every interview, sneak peak, etc. is a fair bit of work. So, with that in mind, here are a few rather decently-sized interviews that recently surfaced; there will be a Brooklyn Q&A the evening of the 5th in NYC; here's her HFA acceptance speech; and she's been nominated for a BIFA (not to be confused with a BAFTA), the ceremony for which takes place in just over a month, on the 6th. I don't think I'll be bothering with photos any more as aside from the short period where Saoirse Ronan Fan wasn't being updated, they're all just reposts from said site, so you can just go there every now and again if you're curious.

That all being said, if someone finds something they feel is worth sharing, they're of course free to post it.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I'm glad you're back, Jase! Fuck those other people. You're a nice guy, man, and don't deserve any of that crap.

I swear, people can suck sometimes.

Dragon

Banned
JaseC you ever think of starting a fan site? Seems like you are definitely motivated and I'm sure you'd do a great job.

More detailed thoughts on Brooklyn

Brooklyn - 10/10 - first film I've seen in ages where I can unreservedly say, this is an outstanding film, I loved. Saoirse Ronan is fantastic. The whole cast is in fact. In fact its an interesting counter to Spectre, in that theres 2 actors in this, Broadbent and Waters who don't get much screen time either, but they're well used and don't feel token. Looks fantastic as well. Very funny film as well, although its not a comedy, has a fantastic dry Irish wit. Not everyone is gonna dig this like I did, but judging by the audience in the cinema, its gonna go down well.

Jase you are gonna love it, she looks absolutely beautiful in it.

JaseC

JaseC you ever think of starting a fan site? Seems like you are definitely motivated and I'm sure you'd do a great job.

That would definitely be too much work for little ol' me, haha. I mean, I suppose it'd be doable during quieter periods, but in the weeks like this, where new articles/videos/etc. pop up just about every day, it'd all be a bit much for one person to keep track of and publish. I've long thought that "The Saoirsette" would be a good name, though -- but that's probably due to my almost childish love for word play. ;)

More detailed thoughts on Brooklyn

Brooklyn - 10/10 - first film I've seen in ages where I can unreservedly say, this is an outstanding film, I loved. Saoirse Ronan is fantastic. The whole cast is in fact. In fact its an interesting counter to Spectre, in that theres 2 actors in this, Broadbent and Waters who don't get much screen time either, but they're well used and don't feel token. Looks fantastic as well. Very funny film as well, although its not a comedy, has a fantastic dry Irish wit. Not everyone is gonna dig this like I did, but judging by the audience in the cinema, its gonna go down well.

Jase you are gonna love it, she looks absolutely beautiful in it.

Thanks for the impressions. It still doesn't have a release date here, but there is a festival screening next Sunday, so I'll see if I can make that.

JaseC

I'm finally done catching up on the interviews that have popped up over the past couple of weeks, which probably makes it sound as though there were a ton, but it's more that I just had them sitting in tabs. At this point they're generally more of the same, however here are the few longer ones, which naturally cover more ground:

- "An Evening with Saoirse Ronan", hosted at last month's Savannah Film Festival
- AOL Build
- HuffPost Live

Each video runs for roughly half an hour and as they primarily cover Brooklyn they are somewhat similar, so if I had to recommend one I suppose it'd be the AOL interview, although the SFF Q&A does spend a bit of time exploring the catalyst for and earlier points of her career. Saoirse says at the end of the HuffPost interview that she has something "completely different" lined up for next year, after The Crucible, and from the very little she said about it, it seems to be a comedy.

Mary Queen of Scots is definitely dead, at least as far as Saoirse's involvement is concerned. I have to say, though, that I'm not overly bothered as the primary reason I was looking forward to it was that the core creative talent attached to the project is (was?) solid and Saoirse being the lead in a film bolstered by a great director and a great script was something that was sorely lacking from her resume, but Brooklyn, by all accounts, has well and truly filled that gap.

JaseC

Saoirse's been selected as the recipient of the Palm Spring IFF's International Star Award:

Also, after a million hours of mucking around, I've finally cobbled together her recent Late Late Show, Jimmy Fallon and James Corden appearances. VirtualDub was of no use at all and AVI Demux is ridiculously unreliable (I had to keep switching between two different versions), but after a quick skip through the files I'm fairly sure there's nothing wrong with them, even though they don't quite begin and end where I'd like them to.

So I went to an early screening for this Brooklyn flick in Vancouver (Thanks Virgin radio?). Theatre was full of old people. Movie was kind of tv-movie-ish. Saorise Ronan plays a naive girl character from Ireland pining for home and falls in love with a short italian dude in New York. And then some more stuff happens. Went in blind and thought it was alright.

JaseC

Here's the full video of THR's Indie Contenders roundtable that was hosted a while back, which runs for an hour. In more awards news, she's nabbed:

- Boston Film Critics Online's Best Actress award
- British Independent Film Award for Best Actress
- Washington DC Area Film Critics Association's Best Actress award
- San Francisco Film Critics Circle's Best Actress award
- Detroit Film Critics Society's Best Actress award
- North Carolina Film Critics Association's Best Actress award
- London Critics’ Circle's British/Irish Actress of the Year award
- Satellite Award for Best Actress

Was the runner-up for:

- LA Film Critic Association's Best Actress award
- Boston Society of Film Critics' Best Actress award
- Southeastern Film Critics Association's Best Actress award
- St. Louis Film Critics Association's Best Actress award
- National Society of Film Critics' Best Actress award
- Central Ohio Film Critics Association's Best Actress award

And has been nominated for:
- Online Film Critics Society's Best Actress award (went to Cate Blanchett for "Carol")
- Screen Actors Guild's Best Actress award (went to Brie Larson for "Room")
- Golden Globe for Best Actress in a Motion Picture (Drama) (went to Brie Larson for "Room")
- San Diego Film Critics Society's award for Best Actor (Female) (went to Brie Larson for "Room"; runner-up was Charlize Theron for "Mad Max: Fury Road")
- Phoenix Critics Circle's Best Actress award (went to Brie Larson for "Room")
- Critics' Choice Award for Best Actress (went to Brie Larson for "Room")
- Chicago Film Critics Association's Best Actress award (went to Brie Larson for "Room")
- Dallas-Forth Worth Film Critics Assocation's Best Actress award (#3, behind runner-up Cate Blanchett for "Carol" and winner Brie Larson for "Room")
- Vancouver Film Critics Circle's Best Actress award (went to Brie Larson for "Room")
- Phoenix Film Critics Society's award for Best Actress in a Leading Role (went to Brie Larson for "Room")
- Kansas City Film Critics Circle's Best Actress award (went to Charlize Theron for "Mad Max: Fury Road")
- Austin Film Critics Association's Best Actress award (went to Brie Larson for "Room")
- Houston Film Critics Society's award for Best Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role (went to Brie Larson for "Room")
- London Critics' Circle's Actress of the Year award (went to Charlotte Rampling for "45 Years")
- Florida Film Critics Circle's Best Actress award (went to Brie Larson for "Room")
- Australian Academy of Cinema and Television Arts' International Award for Best Actress (went to Cate Blanchett for "Carol")
- British Academy of Film and Television Arts' Leading Actress award (went to Brie Larson for "Room")
- Academy Award for Best Actress in a Leading Role (went to Brie Larson for "Room")

I'm probably missing a few, but the big ones are there.

Nice to see her scooping up some awards. Will ky translate into her getting more mainstream roles though?

Although her doing more movies like Brooklyn is fine by me too.

Nice to see her scooping up some awards. Will ky translate into her getting more mainstream roles though?

Although her doing more movies like Brooklyn is fine by me too.

I would prefer she do this of film more than try to become a big movie star. Her record of picking mainstream movies is shoddy (hello The Host and City of Ember).

JaseC

CYr1b28WEAAkrmU.jpg:orig

Better six years late than never. ;) I'm expecting Larson to yet again snatch the win, though.

Desmond

CYCbTCjWwAA0RrP.png:orig

The interview airs today.

Funny thing is many Irish would say that she pronounces it wrong herself. It's normally pronounced "Seer-sha" not "sur-sha"

Also, I've always wondered if her accent is fake, similar to Colin Farrell's at times. Doesnt match where they grew up at all.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Nothing like an Oscar nomination to kick-start her acting career.

The Host is sad it wasn't able to destroy her career.

JaseC

Funny thing is many Irish would say that she pronounces it wrong herself. It's normally pronounced "Seer-sha" not "sur-sha"

Yeah, she says every now and again that it's technically the former but she prefers the latter.

Also, I've always wondered if her accent is fake, similar to Colin Farrell's at times. Doesnt match where they grew up at all.

Her explanation is that she has a Dub accent because she grew up around Dubs. Some people seem convinced that her accent has changed in recent years, but that's completely ridiculous.

Prologue

nice to see she got nominated, gotta give the movie a watch sometime. Only watched her in "Host" and thought she did great there.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Aw, Saoirse had this "I know I'm not gonna win" face in the SGA's.

JaseC

Aw, Saoirse had this "I know I'm not gonna win" face in the SGA's.

Brie Larson has been eating so much of Saoirse's lunch that she's practically a school-yard bully. :p

I'm expecting the Oscars to play out the same, but at least she was nominated (I mean, she should have received her second nom for The Lovely Bones, but that's neither here nor there). When Jennifer Lawrence appeared as a nominee I feared Saoirse had been pushed out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom