• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sarah Sanders says she was thrown out of Virginia restaurant because she works for Trump

Dev1lXYZ

White House Press Secretary Sanders was thrown out of a Virginia restaurant on Friday because she works for President Trump -- the latest Trump official to be hounded out of a restaurant because of their political affiliation.
TMZ reported that she was kicked out of the restaurant -- The Red Hen in Lexington, Virginia -- on “moral grounds” and cited a waiter who said that Sanders was served “for a total of two minutes before my owner kicked her out along with seven of her other family members.”
Sanders confirmed the events on Twitter, saying she was told to leave by the owner because she worked for the president.
“Her actions say far more about her than about me,” she said. “I always do my best to treat people, including those I disagree with, respectfully and will continue to do so.”
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...ginia-restaurant-because-works-for-trump.html

A business can choose with whom they offer service to on political grounds now, I guess. Many are trying to use the bakery that refused to bake a cake for a queer couple as reasoning, but that was because it was against their religious beliefs. This kind of behavior isn’t going to end well for anyone. Can’t we all just get along!?

Last edited:

TrainedRage

Banned
So we can kick people out of restaurants based only on political ideology? Good to know!

2018 check, Regressive Left check.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Well, don't have to make a cake for gays, don't serve food to Trump people. Equal rights.

W

Whataborman

Unconfirmed Member
Pretty hypocritical of liberals to do/support this after the gay wedding cake debacle.

As a conservative, I disagree with the restaurant owners actions but support his right to serve (or not) whoever he wants. The market will ultimately dictate if what he did will be accepted and Southern VS is fairly conservative.

Naudi

Banned
Gay people aren't hurting anybody by being gay. Like at all. This administration is actively hurting humans every single day.

Ultimately I don't support this but doesn't mean I don't think they deserve it and won't have a laugh about it. Haha. There I had a laugh.

Xiaoki

So we can kick people out of restaurants based only on political ideology? Good to know!

2018 check, Regressive Left check.
It's the right of the restaurant to refuse service to any one for any legal reason they want.

It's all spelled out in the OP and the linked article. You did read those right?

Dev1lXYZ

What they're saying: The restaurant's owner, Stephanie Wilkinson, granted an interview to The Washington Post this afternoon, telling her story about why she decided to give the public face of the Trump administration the boot from her establishment.

• Wilkinson received a call from her staff around 8 p.m. last night that Sanders and her family had entered the restaurant — and drove over herself to confirm the news.
  • "I’m not a huge fan of confrontation. I have a business, and I want the business to thrive. This feels like the moment in our democracy when people have to make uncomfortable actions and decisions to uphold their morals," she told The Post.
  • After she arrived and confirmed Sanders' identity, she asked her staff if she should ask Sanders to leave. They agreed, so Wilkinson requested that Sanders join her on the restaurant's patio — even after her party had already ordered their main course.
  • "Sanders’s response was immediate, Wilkinson said: "'That’s fine. I’ll go.'"
  • Sanders' family followed her out — but offered to pay for what they had been served before leaving — though Wilkinson told them it was on the house.
The big picture: Lexington (population: 7,042) is an overwhelmingly blue small town, located smack dab in the middle of Rockbridge County, which voted 62% for Trump.
Worth noting: Sanders didn't kick off the social media furor over her dismissal. That started this morning when a waiter there posted a now-deleted update to Facebook last night that "my owner asked her to leave." Sanders only confirmed the confrontation in her own tweet after the story had already exploded across the Internet.

https://www.axios.com/sarah-huckabe...ant-34b08ce3-7be5-4d52-9fa6-f7d84d7684ed.html

This place is fucked what a shitshow 😂

Last edited:
New #16
What they're saying: The restaurant's owner, Stephanie Wilkinson, granted an interview to The Washington Post this afternoon, telling her story about why she decided to give the public face of the Trump administration the boot from her establishment.

• Wilkinson received a call from her staff around 8 p.m. last night that Sanders and her family had entered the restaurant — and drove over herself to confirm the news.
  • "I’m not a huge fan of confrontation. I have a business, and I want the business to thrive. This feels like the moment in our democracy when people have to make uncomfortable actions and decisions to uphold their morals," she told The Post.
  • After she arrived and confirmed Sanders' identity, she asked her staff if she should ask Sanders to leave. They agreed, so Wilkinson requested that Sanders join her on the restaurant's patio — even after her party had already ordered their main course.
  • Sanders' family followed her out — but offered to pay for what they had been served before leaving — though Wilkinson told them it was on the house.
The big picture: Lexington (population: 7,042) is an overwhelmingly blue small town, located smack dab in the middle of Rockbridge County, which voted 62% for Trump.
Worth noting: Sanders didn't kick off the social media furor over her dismissal. That started this morning when a waiter there posted a now-deleted update to Facebook last night that "my owner asked her to leave." Sanders only confirmed the confrontation in her own tweet after the story had already exploded across the Internet.

https://www.axios.com/sarah-huckabe...ant-34b08ce3-7be5-4d52-9fa6-f7d84d7684ed.html

This place is******* what a ****show
😂

With that statistic that they voted for #45, I'm starting to think they shoulda just ate the crow and fed Sanders.

You don't have to argue that the sky is blue or grass is green.

You are not an authority on her. You don't get to just wave your hands around because you don't like the Administration and declare her a terrible person and have us accept it as irrevocable truth. Also, so much for intersectionality.

Last edited:
You are not an authority on her. You don't get to just wave your hands around because you don't like the Administration and declare her a terrible person and have us accept it as irrevocable truth. Also, so much for intersectionality.

1. I can say and do what I want. #liberty #freedom #freespeech

2. I find the theory/ideology of "intersectionality" problematic. I prefer dismantling interlocking systems of oppression.

TrainedRage

Banned
It's the right of the restaurant to refuse service to any one for any legal reason they want.

It's all spelled out in the OP and the linked article. You did read those right?
So when white restaurant owners that don't like Jews or Black people refuse to serve them, that's ok? Sounds wonderful :rolleyes:

TrainedRage

Banned
That is their right yes. Poor business though.

Thats not true tho...

Did you read the Civil Rights Act of 1964? The article in the OP is not 'law'. It's pretty clear that you CAN'T refuse to serve people based on race, color, religion, or national origin.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
She was refused service for something that had nothing to do with her race, color, religion or national origin.

ie a business/restaurant owner will NEVER tell a person why they won't serve them for legal reasons but can kick them out if they want

Last edited by a moderator:

Moneal

So when white restaurant owners that don't like Jews or Black people refuse to serve them, that's ok? Sounds wonderful :rolleyes:
That is their right yes. Poor business though.

No, it is still illegal to refuse business based on protected classes such as race or religion. The Supreme Court ruling in the Bakery case didn't change anything except that the state of Colorado couldn't assume that the religious beliefs were not genuine and only being used to act bigoted.

She can be kicked out for political affiliation/her job because it isn't a protected class. It sounds like its probably bad business in her area though looking at the voting percent that trump got last election.

finowns

That would be a valid comparison if they asked Sanders to leave because she was white. They just don't like her for whatever reason. That said I think she handled herself very well, I'd be mortified if I was asked to leave a restaurant.

Edit -- Reading the Washington Post story this whole thing is depressing.

Last edited:

It seems to me that if you're really devoted to "making an uncomfortable action and decision to uphold your morals" you wouldn't ask that Sanders join you on the patio so you could remove her without a scene. You'd stand up and tell every customer that you were removing Sanders, and if they didn't like it, they're welcome to leave and no longer eat there. Seeing as this leaked anyway, she might as well have done just that.

That was a classy move by both parties, despite you know, the restaurant owner being the literal definition of a bigot.

bigot

noun
1. a person who is utterly intolerant of any differing creed, belief, or opinion.

I have to wonder if the people who would be attracted to her restaurant because of this would remain customers longer than the customers who will now avoid her restaurant. I would think the people you anger will hold a grudge a lot longer than the people who agree with you over something like this.

I have to think that most of the left would love this, and I have to think most of the right would hate this. But then you have people of the opposing political party (in this example liberals) who are still revolted by the idea of a business engaging in this type of behavior. You also have PLENTY of people who aren't political, but hate the idea of seeing something like this. That should be the business owners other real concern, here. It's not just the business of Trump voters that she stands to lose.

I don't identify as a conservative or a liberal, but if a restaurant in my town asked someone to leave because of their political views, I'd never eat there again.

Last edited:

Wunray

I suppose the restaurant is in their right to ask her to leave, and Sanders handled it quite well. Now.....I wonder what this situation will look like when the shoe is on the other foot.

I believe this will hurt the restaurant's bottom line more than help.

Amazing that nobody boycotted Bush's press secretary, when Bush was starting wars that killed hundreds of thousands, perhaps millions of innocent people.

And nobody refused service to Obama staffers after the disasterous US fueled uprising in Libya, that President Obama admitted was the worst mistake of his presidency.

Naudi

Banned
I'm sure there was plenty of shit like this going on, in some cases even worse. It just wasnt broadcasted through twitter.

I don't really have a problem with a business asking certain patrons they disapprove of to leave (with the obvious caveat it's not illegal discrimination). There's an obvious free-market solution to this problem if the decision is unpopular, which based on the voting demographics may very will be the case. It seems both parties were about as cordial as you can be in an awkward situation such as this.

As far as Sanders herself goes: I don't think I'd kick her out of a hypothetical restaurant I owned. Sure, her job is to basically be a Trump apologist. But you kind of have to grow up and accept that a lot of people get through life with a job that basically pays them to lie - I have to deal with pharmaceutical sales reps all the time, for example. The only exception I'd make is if she was with her brother at the time - humans that murder dogs have no place in my life under any circumstances.

That's why some countries develop hate speech laws but then we get free speech crusaders who can't accept any nuance and make it look like any regulations around speech are the equivalent of Winston getting zapped in 1984.

Hotspurr

Banned
The responses about the current administration being evil and somehow it justifies not serving food to a person? Really? Is this what we do to people with a different ideology? We punish them and separate them out, instead of realizing that society is better off with different viewpoints that undergo constant scruitiny?

The Trump administration has done plenty good for the country. Less unemployment, better trade, more jobs, peace with NK, just to name a few. I understand this is a giant slap in the face to authoritarian leftists or whatever they want their group identity to be (I'd call them overgrown petulant children to be honest, but that would be unfair to kids), who wanted Trump to fail, only to see him do the opposite. So you take your anger out on some poor woman who wanted to have dinner with her family. Very classy indeed.

Of course the profoundly beautiful irony of this is that Trump got elected precisely because of censorship and people being tired of authoritarian thought policing and suppression of free speech. And now this restaurant owner has made it so so much worse. Every person with a brain will see how unfair this was, and if they see the authoritarian left get behind the restaurant owner trying to justify it, you can bet your bottom dollar it's going to affect who they choose to associate with.

rokkerkory

I believe this will hurt the restaurant's bottom line more than help.

Amazing that nobody boycotted Bush's press secretary, when Bush was starting wars that killed hundreds of thousands, perhaps millions of innocent people.

And nobody refused service to Obama staffers after the disasterous US fueled uprising in Libya, that President Obama admitted was the worst mistake of his presidency.

Just goes to show just how bad Trump is compared to 43 n 44.

Just goes to show just how bad Trump is compared to 43 n 44.

Bush was starting wars that killed hundreds of thousands, perhaps millions of innocent people.

US fueled uprising in Libya, that President Obama admitted was the worst mistake of his presidency.

QTLW7Mk.jpg

Last edited:

dolabla

Bush was starting wars that killed hundreds of thousands, perhaps millions of innocent people.

US fueled uprising in Libya, that President Obama admitted was the worst mistake of his presidency.

QTLW7Mk.jpg

Guess who else was responsible for Libya? Hilldawg!

Because of Obama and Hillary's actions, African slaves are now sold in Libya.

I'll say this till the day I die. I will forever be grateful to Donald John Trump for destroying the Bush and Clinton political dynasties. And he did it all in one election cycle.

Schattenjäger

Gabriel Knight
Lady has such a tough job and is pretty great at it.. not sure she’s ever really given her own opinion on political topics .. but she’s guilty by association

Since when is being a constantly lying sack of shit a political stance?

Or maybe it really is this days?

Last edited:

Corrik

Need to make political affiliation a protected status. Too much polarization lately has seeped into our country in crazy ways.

1. I can say and do what I want. #liberty #freedom #freespeech
Your reading comprehension might need to be adjusted. Re-read what I posted. You can say or do whatever you want but you can't make ME accept it. The irony of your pound sign hot take shows your inability to have a reasonable conversation about this.

ic3cait

Banned
A) The people comparing this to the bakery are spreading fake news. The baker didn't refuse to sell the gay couple a cake. They refused to go above and beyond and actually cater the wedding.

B) Can somebody explain to me, in detail, the fundamental difference between religious beliefs and political beliefs? Why is one of them a protected class while the other is not? Anybody?

tekumseh

a mass of phermones, hormones and adrenaline just waiting to explode
A couple of things. Lexington itself voted 63% for Clinton, and Sanders mentioning it through her official Twitter account is an ethics violation. As for the restaurant, I expect it will be just fine,with those from surrounding areas who support the choice will keep the place bust. Given that I'm 7 hours away, I'm going to call them at the next business day opening and donate a few hundred bucks towards meals for them to utilize as they see fit. Because, bravo, Red Hen, bravo!

llien

How come this is legal? Dear God...

You don't have to argue that the sky is blue or grass is green.
It's cool, but you need to stop selling arguable assessments as "grass is green".

That's commie ways, the worst part of it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom