• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sarah Sanders says she was thrown out of Virginia restaurant because she works for Trump

I love how the right tries to spin this into a hypocritical scenario by disingenuously comparing the incident to a gay couple being denied marriage and / or their wedding cake. It's almost like there is no merit to a comparison of completely different things. I'm sure poor US white house press secretary lady will recover.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I love how the right tries to spin this into a hypocritical scenario by disingenuously comparing the incident to a gay couple being denied marriage and / or their wedding cake. It's almost like there is no merit to a comparison of completely different things. I'm sure poor US white house press secretary lady will recover.
TBF a gay cake is like saying you want a wet tea...cake is gay af.

I agree with that. I also think that if we're not gonna protect people from stuff like this, then we shouldn't have protected classes at all...

While I'm not sure I'd argue we shouldn't have protected classes, it is interesting to ask what the difference is between religion and political affiliation.

I've recently argued that there are no aspects of your sexuality or your personal beliefs that are choices you can make. You can decide what you're going to have for lunch tomorrow, but you can't decide that you now believe in unicorns, and you can't decide that you now have a foot fetish. These are not choices. Changes in personal beliefs and sexuality can occur throughout life, but they're not basic yes or no decisions that you get to make.

In that respect, you can decide to call yourself a conservative, or a liberal, or a centrist, or even reject ideology, but you can't decide to reject or embrace the values and concerns that are the reasons behind your political identity. Gun control, immigration, abortion, the environment, etc. You can't just simply decide to feel differently about any of these issues. It's not a matter of choice, it's a matter of belief. The question is, why is one form of belief a protected class, and another is not? I'm not sure I can properly answer that question.

First of all Muslim is not something you are born with and it is a choice. So here you actually could deny a Muslim Service. Secondly if you are black and the person does not want to serve you they just need to use a different reasoning. Like a BLM member which he/she sees as a terrorist organization. Or how he /she does not like the shirt your are wearing etc. This opens the can or so many things you do not even seem to be aware of.
But those who are Muslims worship Islam, so they would be protected like any other religious person, right?

Tumle

Pretty hypocritical of liberals to do/support this after the gay wedding cake debacle.

As a conservative, I disagree with the restaurant owners actions but support his right to serve (or not) whoever he wants. The market will ultimately dictate if what he did will be accepted and Southern VS is fairly conservative.
Can also be seenthe other way around..
Pretty hypocritical of conservatives to be upset about this when they defended the rights for a baker to not serve a gay couple..
But good to know that you defend his rights to do this and not jump on the outrage wagon.. :)

ic3cait

Banned
Can also be seenthe other way around..
Pretty hypocritical of conservatives to be upset about this when they defended the rights for a baker to not serve a gay couple..
But good to know that you defend his rights to do this and not jump on the outrage wagon.. :)

Why do you keep pushing a false narrative that's been debunked repeatedly, even in this very thread? The baker doesn't have the right not to serve gays. He simply isn't forced, by law, to violate his religious beliefs and create a specialized cake to cater the gay wedding.

Last edited:

Gander

Banned
Let's look at it from another angle. You own a restaurant and want it to be a haven for all kinds of people so it will be successful. It fails and you are out of your life savings. A known KKK member walks in and could drastically hurt your brand. Do you allow that person to stay?

lil puff

Let's look at it from another angle. You own a restaurant and want it to be a haven for all kinds of people so it will be successful. It fails and you are out of your life savings. A known KKK member walks in and could drastically hurt your brand. Do you allow that person to stay?
I wonder if a known KKK member would walk into a "haven for all kinds of people" without ill intent, or at least the appearance of it. In which case, I think it's understandable to ask them to leave.

Do you believe that SHS walked into that place to stir up trouble? Or do you think she was going to quietly eat and leave?

I am no fan of hers, BTW. But I think there is a line to draw, I'm not sure where that line is. It is possible that customers seeing her there could affect business, I'd agree with that. Maybe I'd hope my food was good enough that I'd be ok.

lil puff

I think SHS thinks she can use the "I'm just doing my job." excuse when people react to what her job is and how she does it.
Well, yeah. No question about that. Other than quit, I am not sure what else she can realistically do or say. She is a spokesperson and her job is to help lie and cover for the POTUS.

I am trying to keep in mind that she could have thought, "oh these dirty liberals own this place, I am not eating these people's food" She went there to eat a meal with people that disagree with her, and she likely disagrees with them. I coexist with people I do not like everyday, so maybe I have built a threshold and wait for the time to fry a bigger fish at a better time.

nemiroff

Gold Member
Ez2TVCq.png

Top Bottom