• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Satanic prayer opens Pensacola city council meeting, meeting turns "chaotic"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dalek

Satanic prayer opens Pensacola city council meeting; police forced to remove protesters

Screen-Shot-2016-07-16-at-2.13.51-PM.png

A city council meeting in Pensacola, Florida, turned chaotic Thursday evening when officials allowed a local religious-freedom activist to start the event with a Satanic prayer.
The Pensacola city council traditionally begins its meetings with Christian prayer, but it had agreed to give Mr. Suhor the podium after President Charles Bare determined that refusing his request to make the invocation would lead to possible litigation.

“If you deviate away from what I feel is proper invocation speech, I will have you removed from the chamber,” Mr Bare ordered, the ABC affiliate reported.

Mr. Suhor’s attempts to deliver the invocation in a hooded black robe were repeatedly disrupted by protesters, including some who stood up and tried to drone out his address with the Lord’s Prayer. Others, meanwhile, had to be removed from the building by Pensacola police, according to the station.

Several residents approached the podium after the invocation was delivered and took aim at the city’s decision to give a speaking slot to Mr. Suhor, who is currently involved in legal efforts to have a 25-foot cross removed from Bayview Park in Pensacola

Mr. Suhor said, however, prayer doesn’t properly belong in politics. He returned to the podium later during Thursday’s meeting, the radio station reported, and condemned the council for giving religion such a prominent role in its proceedings.

“This should be a place where anybody can come and address their government without feeling like a minority [and] being prayed over again and again in a way that’s frankly offensive,” he said.

“Quit pushing Christian privilege as we see with the Bayview cross and so many other issues and go to a moment of silence and let everyone pray or not, according to their own conscience,” Mr. Suhor said. “You need to invite anyone. If you cannot do that, then you need to drop this charade altogether.”

On its Facebook page, the Satanic Temple of West Florida said its members strive to act with compassion and empathy toward all creatures in accordance with reason, and stands for free will, personal sovereignty and science. The invocation delivered by Mr. Suhor at Thursday’s meeting speaks of “arcane doctrines borne of fearful minds in darkened times” and concluded with the words “Hail Satan.”

Here's a video of this poor, prosecuted Satan fearing man:
http://weartv.com/news/local/satanic-prayer-at-council-meeting-disrupted-by-crowd

Slime

Banned
Christians will see stuff like this and be convinced the end is nigh, and then in November they will vote for Donald Trump

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Satanists and the Church of Satan rock. Always turning the tables on Christians banging the religious freedoms drum. The best is they really don't seem to know what to do about it. Muslims they can call terrorists and what but what are you going to say about a Satan worshipper. That they worship Satan? haha

Christian privilege is a very real thing, but the sad truth is that nobody is going to listen to a satanist making that point. They're basically considered a meme religion.

As a Laveyan I have to say that the reaction to that was hilariously hypocritical.

Christian privilege is a very real thing, but the sad truth is that nobody is going to listen to a satanist making that point. They're basically considered a meme religion.

This is true.

FZZ

Banned
Satan is a pussy ass bitch

I'd beat that kid 1v1 PvP anytime anyplace

Demons are pussy as fuck too

HStallion

They have done quite a bit to spit in the eye of Christians pushing religious freedom only for themselves. When a group in Florida got bibles and such into a school the Satanists showed up demanding that they be allowed to give the kids coloring books about Satanism. Then the Baphomet Statue they are getting erected in front of a Courthouse that put up the Ten Commandments. Yeah its usually jokey stuff but they really do stick it to a lot of Christian groups who think the Bill of Rights only applies to them.

bman94

Lmao, no matter what angle you look at this, the situation was going to be bad by letting a Satanic Prayer start off a meeting.

Dude would probably had a breakdown at the University I went to, we literally start every event with a prayer.

Volimar

Do what thou wilt and Hail Satan!

As someone who grew up around pagans, this seems somewhat counter intuitive. Wiccans have the do as thou wilt thing as a core tenet of their faith, but they don't believe in Satan. Is that a tenet of Satanism as well?

Zubz

Banned
The problem here is that the irony of this situation will be lost on the people this was meant to target. As a Catholic, I love when the Church of Satan does this kind of stuff, but those who are against keeping church and state separate are almost always too dense to see this as anything but an attack on themselves.

HStallion

As someone who grew up around pagans, this seems somewhat counter intuitive. Wiccans have the do as thou wilt thing as a core tenet of their faith, but they don't believe in Satan. Is that a tenet of Satanism as well?

Modern Satanism is more liberal than anything in Christanity. They have tenets like getting consent from someone for sex and things of that nature.

Acerac

Banned
I'm kind of shocked that freedom of religion is a thing the US hasn't tried to be rid of yet. I guess if most religions other than Christianity are easy enough to ignore there is no reason to try and prohibit them.

adj_noun

A core tenant of Satanism seems to be trolling the everloving bejeezus out of fundies.

I don't know if they'll ever top that Baphomet statue.

HStallion

I'm kind of shocked that freedom of religion is a thing the US hasn't tried to be rid of yet. I guess if most religions other than Christianity are easy enough to ignore there is no reason to try and prohibit them.

How would you get rid of Freedom of Religion? Atheist would fight against that being removed.

Volimar

Well some do their best to try. Limits on mosques, judeo christian imagery reinforcing the "christian nation" narrative, literal armed protests in front of places of worship in an attempt to intimidate them away...

Imm0rt4l

I don't think satanists even believe in satan. I think they just view him in the Paradise Lost sense, going against a tyrannical God . Satanists are basically atheist.

pirata

When you watch the video, the Christian protesters sound far more like brainwashed cultists than the Satanist dude. "CURSES UPON US!" I'm glad I live in a city where I don't have to constantly pretend to believe in God like I had to growing up (and still have to when I visit my family).

EDIT: I haven't done a lot of research, but I've always gotten the impression that Satanism is more of a protest of Judeo-Christian hegemony, intolerance, and irrationality more than anything.

Acerac

Banned
How would you get rid of Freedom of Religion? Atheist would fight against that being removed.

I guess the best way to do it would be a passive war, like how it was done with the separation of church and state. I suppose when I look at it from that lens, they've been extremely successful, the average American citizen has an abysmal viewpoint on any person who isn't Christian.

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.

My rudimentary understanding of LaVey Satanism is that it's pretty much social libertarianism in religion form.

Matty77

Most modern alt religion including both Laveyan satanism and modern Wicca pretty much stole wholesale from Crowley so yes.

The original is from Crowley's book of the law full motto being

Love is the law
Love under will
Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law.

This is great! I live less than an hour away from Pensacola and this entire area is suffocatingly conservative Christian.

These buffoons shouldn't be opening their council meetings with prayer, period. But if they insist, they better be prepared and willing to let members of any other religion or belief freely practice as well.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
This is amazing. (Un)holy shit!

Christians will see stuff like this and be convinced the end is nigh, and then in November they will vote for Donald Trump

Now that would be one hell of a self-fulfilling prophecy.

This is great! I live less than an hour away from Pensacola and this entire area is suffocatingly conservative Christian.

These buffoons shouldn't be opening their council meetings with prayer, period. But if they insist, they better be prepared and willing to let members of any other religion or belief freely practice as well.
Yes it's amazing how quickly they change their tune when it's not their own religion.

EGM1966

As an atheist (more or less) I'm surprised to find the satanist was so reasonable. Who knew? Not me it seems.

Also this was rather amusing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom