• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Saturday Night Live - Season 43 |OT| Laughing in the Face of Destruction

Bronx-Man

Banned
dba470177261e4362555175d1c0039f738c7cd93.jpg

Let's be upfront: there's big, big expectations for Saturday Night Live this season. Season 42 was the biggest season for SNL in decades by almost every measure. Weekly ratings were the highest they've been for the show since Bill Clinton's first term and the show is more culturally relevant than ever with impressions from Alec Baldwin and Melissa McCarthy becoming overnight sensations. All of this comes as the result from one of the most disastrous presidencies in American history.

It'll be interesting to see how SNL rises to the occasion with the departures of Bobby Moynihan, Vanessa Bayer, & Sasheer Zamata. Every week the President of the United States, the entire news media of our country, and roughly 11 million Americans will be tuning in every week to see what Saturday Night Live does next. No pressure.

RETURNING CAST

Beck Bennett
BeckFinal_DE.jpg

Aidy Bryant
aidy_bryant.jpg

Michael Che
Michael_Che_1050x1050.jpg

Pete Davidson
Pete_Davidson_1050x1050.jpg

Mikey Day
MikeyDay_SNL_1050x1050.jpg

Leslie Jones
leslie_jones_1050x1050.jpg

Colin Jost
colin-410.jpg

Kate McKinnon
kate_mckinnon.jpg

Alex Moffat
AlexMoffat_SNL_1050x1050.jpg

Kyle Mooney
KyleFINAL_DE.jpg

Cecily Strong
cecily_strong.jpg

Kenan Thompson
KenanThompson.jpg

Melissa Villaseñor
MelissaVillasenor_SNL_1050x1050.jpg

NEWCOMERS
Heidi Garnder
Luke Null
Chris Redd

Tonight's season premiers with Blade Runner 2049's Ryan Gosling as host with Jay-Z as musical guest.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Kate McKinnon is probably one of the best cast members of all time. Curious about the writing quality as I heard there was a lot of turnover there.

DonShula

It’s nice to have good SNL back.

I feel like they did well last season but could have gone in further. Now is not the time to ease off or play it safe.

Boem

I just listened to Pete Davidson's interview on the WTF podcast last night. I wonder how much of a presence he's going to be this year, given his medical and mental issues going on right now. He described this last year as the worst year of his life, and he's definitely going through a lot. I wasn't too familiar with the guy before that interview, but it definitely made me feel for him and like him at the same time. I hope his therapy is going well and that he's feeling better, wasn't expecting him to join the SNL madhouse this year (although he did mention it in the podcast).

TARS

Neo Member
It's finally back, pumped for the new season! Can't get enough of Kate McKinnon, still bummed about Vanessa Bayer leaving, she was great.

I'm surprised that Melissa Villaseñor is sticking around, and I kind of wish the show would get new WU anchors.

Vanessa Bayer is gone? Nooooooo. She was one of my favorites of last year's cast. Great comedic timing and a great range.

Melissa Villaseñor otoh, I kind of can't believe she's back. She was pretty horrible last season. One of the stiffest, most awkward actors I've seen on SNL.

Man what is this Melissa hate? She’s funny as fuck, her skit last year (?) where she was with Aziz doing pillow talk destroyed me, especially since she sounds like a female Ray Romano.

Wondering if they will give the 3 new members any chance tonight. Sucks they lost 3 peeps from the cast last year but then again only Vanessa and Bobby got any screentime since they never put Sasheer on so it was really only like two 🤔

Sucks they lost 3 peeps from the cast last year but then again only Vanessa and Bobby got any screentime since they never put Sasheer on so it was really only like two 🤔

I felt bad for Sasheer, she hardly got any screentime and when she was on, it was always to play it straight.

I felt bad for Sasheer, she hardly got any screentime and when she was on, it was always to play it straight.
Yeah they never threw her a bone. At least if they never use Pete Davidson outside of millennial sketches, they still let him come out occasionally on WU to make fun of himself not doing anything on the show!

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
Chris Redd is gonna kill it I hope. Good chunk of that cast outta Chicago now. Excited to see what he can bring to the table.

Bronx-Man

Banned
That didn’t really go anywhere but recap four months worth of headlines, but whatever, at least we got it out the way

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Yeah that opening sucked.

I keep forgetting that Vanessa Bayer is gone. :(

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
This is like... a year late

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
Why the heck did this alien sketch need a second go?

Slayven

The funniest part of this sketch is it's white people running a black joke dating from the 70s into the ground

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
woke jeans was pretty great

easy joke we've seen before in different formats; but the visual gag made it

Top Bottom