• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Satya Nadella says he wishes exclusive games didn't exist

Would he hold the same opinion if Xbox exclusives had the same success as those of Nintendo e Sony?

• Yes

Votes: 18 8.1%
  • No

Votes: 205 91.9%

• Total voters

twilo99

If Microsoft could get gamepass and their services on PS. Pretty sure they would drop Xbox. Their console market share is low and probably CEO and shareholders have little interest in it. There was also news some years back that they wanted to exit console space but Phil was able to convince him

All Sony need to do is add a proper web browser to their console and we are there...

AmuroChan

If that's what he truly believes, why not just become 3rd party and have Gamepass on everything then? If they're out of the console market, there's no reason for Sony to deny Gamepass on PlayStation when they already allow EA Play and Ubisoft+.

Yoboman

I swear these execs can just say any bullshit and nobody calls them out

We hate exclusives that's why we have spend $80 billion to get them

Is this why your guys are building a "content moat" to "spend Sony out of business"?

up4H4z7.jpg

Maybe it's one of those moats designed to invite everyone in

Kerotan

If Microsoft could get gamepass and their services on PS. Pretty sure they would drop Xbox. Their console market share is low and probably CEO and shareholders have little interest in it. There was also news some years back that they wanted to exit console space but Phil was able to convince him
I mean EA Access is on PlayStation there's no reason they couldn't put Gamepass either.

Pop

Is that why Microsoft keeps spending billions on acquisitions.

Just become a publisher already and put Halo on Playstation

Osaka_Boss

Lets remember How Power Microsoft is inside most big gaming companies for years due to its Nature in tech. Inside leakers from companies, inside trading, inside privileged information... ALL this is MS hás always had in its hand. Being one of the most rich companies, they could've outbid Sony every single time. But they chose not to, só as to create the scenario to justify their monopolitic actions

Neo_game

I mean EA Access is on PlayStation there's no reason they couldn't put Gamepass either.

I am not sure what it was but it was something Sony did not agree. May be it was to replace PSN with their own network. But Xbox, HW wise it very little value to them. Their target is to be on pretty much every device possible.

Nydius

Man, I'm kinda torn on this poll question because on one hand, I know Nadella is a software and services guy and would prefer to get the hell out of hardware entirely. He was the only one against the NOKIA acquisition and he's the guy who fast tracked ditching NOKIA as soon as he had the reins to the company. If he could make Game Pass platform agnostic and rake in the services money without pissing off the entire Xbox division (and their fanbase), he would in a heartbeat.

But on the other hand, Game Pass alone without exclusives wouldn't be much of a draw, even multiplatform. It would still need exclusives to have any value as a subscription model.

Three

Yes...

But...
You should see what's happening with one of their listed acquisition targets, Paradox Interactive.

yurinka

So, when is he stop to make games exclusive and when is he going to release all the existing Xbox exclusives on PS and Switch?

DavJay

Sony get better deals from 3rd party at a discount because of their install base. Bigger install base = greater potential revenue. That is something MS know they can’t buy. Hypothetically, if Sony paid SE $300,000,000 for FFXVI. It might of took probably more than double for MS to secure it for Xbox.

CLW

Gold Member
I’m sure would accept quality ms published titles for + oh wait…. never mind

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Low share player?

bullshit-get-the-fuck-outta-here.gif

Xbox had PlayStation bent over a barrel with the Xbox 360 so they certainly can compete if they want to or here's an idea, put in charge competent people to head up the Xbox division?
Had they kept that 360 momentum going they would be in a very different position today.

Booty's solution is to buy up everyone to eliminate competition. Neither him nor Phil hold a candle to
Peter Moore, Robbie Bach and J Allard. These guys had Xbox firing on all cylinders.
And one of the ways MS competed with the 360 is.....wait for it......wait for it.....

Timed and outright exclusives from 3rd parties.

But now that Sony has taken a page from that playbook....its scummy.

Last edited:

Ywap

Why would anyone even want to be in the plastic box business?

Normally it´s the software that generates revenue and me personally, if i had good software, would want to be on as many platforms as possible.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I see quotes like this and really, really wonder why MS is even in the business of selling Xbox. I think they would do fine focusing on PC, and could even release games on PS and Nintendo without ever worrying about any of this bullshit.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
If they don't believe in exclusives, they need to put up or shut up.

Release every single first party Xbox game on playstation day and date. You still have an advantage by placing your games on GamePass (does that exclusivity come into consideration?)

Their actions belie their words

BlackTron

Why would anyone even want to be in the plastic box business?

Normally it´s the software that generates revenue and me personally, if i had good software, would want to be on as many platforms as possible.
Because if you have the plastic box, then you get a piece of every software/DLC/mtx purchase that happens on it. Capcom makes money when a Capcom game is sold, Sony makes money when ANY game is sold...

Top Bottom