• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Satya Nadella says he wishes exclusive games didn't exist

Would he hold the same opinion if Xbox exclusives had the same success as those of Nintendo e Sony?

• Yes

Votes: 18 8.1%
  • No

Votes: 205 91.9%

• Total voters
Eyeroll GIF by MOODMAN
Exactly

Kerotan

I am not sure what it was but it was something Sony did not agree. May be it was to replace PSN with their own network. But Xbox, HW wise it very little value to them. Their target is to be on pretty much every device possible.
Yeah pretty sure they wanted everyone to create an Xbox account and play it through an app or something. Nothing stopping them doing what ea access has done though.

SNG32

I don’t understand why Microsoft just can’t release digital and physical games on PlayStation consoles and still make gamepass exclusive to PC and Xbox consoles. Atleast they could be making money on digital and physical sales on PlayStation. And still have an incentive for people that want to play on Xbox and PC.

Last edited:
I wonder if In Cold Blood In Cold Blood is able to bear all this hypocrisy straight from the top. i am worried 😟
How is it hypocrisy? Maybe if Sony came to MS and said "Hey, we will out all our games on Xbox if you out all your games on PS" he would take that, but we will never know because Sony ain't coming to them with that.
You think he should just pit out all of Xboxs games on PS regardless of Sony doing it as well?
What do you think he should do so you don't think he is hypocritical?

Embearded

Is the Twitter text from Tom Warren mocking Nadella or is it serious?
I really can't tell at this point.
People say he is heavily sided with xbox but this looks like he is making fun of him.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Then why buy Giant Publishers and make multiplat games exclusive?

Hypocritical if you ask me.
Nadella's statement is obviously ridiculous, but if you take it at face value, as you seem to be doing, then you might like to look again.

"I don't like exclusives, but if everyone else does it, then we have to do the same. If other people didn't have exclusives, we wouldn't need to"

That in itself is not a hypocritical statement.

It could be argued that Nadella wishes that the games industry didn't have exclusives so that platforms would compete based on things that Microsoft have clear superiority on, cloud and network infrastructure or hardware pricing, for example, so it's hard to take seriously.

But I don't think it's hypocritical to say "I don't like this element of business, but we are in business so that's what we have to do"

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Is the Twitter text from Tom Warren mocking Nadella or is it serious?
I really can't tell at this point.
People say he is heavily sided with xbox but this looks like he is making fun of him.
Perhaps he assesses each thing ...on a case by case basis.

Denton

I have no doubt Nadella is honest. If it was up to him all MS games would be on Playstation, but that can only work if all Sony games were also on Xbox and PC. And since he knows Sony would never go for that...hence his statement.

Still, in today's tribal world, where each plastic box has its Legion of Defenders(tm), this is a pretty ballsy statement.

Last edited:

Tams

How is it hypocrisy? Maybe if Sony came to MS and said "Hey, we will out all our games on Xbox if you out all your games on PS" he would take that, but we will never know because Sony ain't coming to them with that.
You think he should just pit out all of Xboxs games on PS regardless of Sony doing it as well?
What do you think he should do so you don't think he is hypocritical?

Because they are one of the richest companies in the world, have already been able to afford Xbox losing billions, and could lead by example if that's what they called about?

But the argument is silly. Exclusives are fine as long as they don't tip the market too far in the one player's favour. Microsoft going a buying spree is pushing that.

And morally, that's the argument that they aren't doing most of these exclusives themselves (or at least being a major contributor to them). But morals never existed in big business.

mrmustard

Banned
I agree with him. The best part about thatwould be that the stupid fanboy warriors would go extinct and sane people could finally enjoy gaming forums.

But also he probably wouldn't say that if he was the market leader.

Last edited:

StueyDuck

Banned
Man Microsoft are really painting themselves like the biggest shitty mega corporation this generation.

We all know what he is saying is absolutely hot shit.

Yet 4-5 years ago MS had a really good rep, gamers talking about backwards compatibility and cross-play because Sony had their heads up their arses.

The more these execs talk the more I dislike the leadership they have right now at MS.

Last edited:
Says the guy making bugthesda games exclusive that started by being multiplatform projects.
He says he understands why they exist and why they needed to complete in console market. He said since Sony using exclusive to strengthen their dominance, they will have to do same to compete. Basically if Sony stops making exclusives, they will as well.

Read everything

kyussman

If I'm going to create gaming hardware to play games on the first thing I'm going to do is also create games for it that can't be played on other gaming hardware.......I think that is a solid stategy to sell my consoles......not sure why anyone thinks this is controversial.

Saying MS should drop exclusives feels like a very 1 sided ragging on MS. MS doesn't have a chance of competing without buying companies and securing exclusives. It's a reaction to the market as Satya is implying.

Jemm

Exclusives are like nuclear weapons of console wars. As long as someone has them, nobody is going to get rid of them.

If Microsoft could get gamepass and their services on PS. Pretty sure they would drop Xbox. Their console market share is low and probably CEO and shareholders have little interest in it. There was also news some years back that they wanted to exit console space but Phil was able to convince him

I have heard this multiple times about putting Gamepass on Playstation or Switch or whatever. But what do they mean exactly? Give Nintendo or Sony a 30% cut of gamepass subs that originate on thier platform?

I seriously except profit margins on gamepass (if they are positive at all) are razor thin. MS has some plan to share this with other platform owners?

Or are people just expecting Sony or Nintendo to allow it on their platform for free?

Forsythia

This is in line with Microsoft as a whole, you can find Office on different platforms as well for example. I remember reading something about Phil not liking exclusives as well, but that it's an industry standard so they can't avoid it. I don't see what is so laughable about Satya's statement in that regard.

Top Bottom