• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Satya Nadella says he wishes exclusive games didn't exist

Would he hold the same opinion if Xbox exclusives had the same success as those of Nintendo e Sony?

• Yes

Votes: 18 8.1%
  • No

Votes: 205 91.9%

• Total voters

kingkenny76

Lets remember How Power Microsoft is inside most big gaming companies for years due to its Nature in tech. Inside leakers from companies, inside trading, inside privileged information... ALL this is MS hás always had in its hand. Being one of the most rich companies, they could've outbid Sony every single time. But they chose not to, só as to create the scenario to justify their monopolitic actions
the-simpsons-bill-gates.gif

Darsxx82

This is in line with Microsoft as a whole, you can find Office on different platforms as well for example. I remember reading something about Phil not liking exclusives as well, but that it's an industry standard so they can't avoid it. I don't see what is so laughable about Satya's statement in that regard.
Simply that he is the CEO of MS and many here hate XBOX. Anything that comes out of MS has to be used in the context and narrative that suits them.

If you see the complete statements and the context of or response, as you say, there is nothing strange or reproachable. Even more so if you know his politics and background since he was CEO of MS.

Q: Are you committed to releasing COD on PS5?
A: Yes, I am 100% committed, if it were up to me there would be no exclusives on consoles but we are in a market where the leader dictates whether or not it is necessary.

Or what is the same, if our games came out on the console of the competition and also they don't but they also continue buying new 3rd party... Our console is dead and we don't want that.

Some here call Nadella a hypocrite when what they want is for him to be stupid. When they are the same ones who are wishing every day that MS cut or eliminate Xbox console and that XBOX becomes a 3rd party publisher... then you understand everything.

Last edited:

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I have no doubt Nadella is honest. If it was up to him all MS games would be on Playstation, but that can only work if all Sony games were also on Xbox and PC. And since he knows Sony would never go for that...hence his statement.

Still, in today's tribal world, where each plastic box has its Legion of Defenders(tm), this is a pretty ballsy statement.
I read it as more of a person who doesn't understand the industry and who's plastic box is an indication of how that particular household is being ran. Just because the mega corporation that earns their money from another industry says something, it doesn't mean that they are automatically right. All that rich money they have to throw at the problem hasn't fixed their own incompetence and you can twist it any way you want but as a consumer and somebody who just wants to play your games on plastic boxes, Microsoft is pretty shit and no conference or some kind of forum opinion is going to change the facts.

Now, if this was around 2008 to 2010 you may be talking a little differently. But that company is as comatose and tone def on an industry as Sony would be about making diapers or feminine hygiene products..

Last edited:

Josemayuste

Sure, Nadella, Microsoft is letting its fanbase know very clearly about making those wishes about exclusive games true, which do not exist, yeah, starting on its own, to let everyone else know how to do it.

Interfectum

Naturally, he would make such a statement, considering they envision a future where game streaming is ubiquitous and they reign supreme, much like Netflix's situation. Their aim is to have their Game Pass app accessible on every conceivable platform, mimicking Netflix's strategy. Microsoft's main issue is their assumption that they could swiftly overpower Sony and Nintendo and then tackle Google and Amazon. Phil and his team are clearly disillusioned with the console industry and are eager to dismantle it, paving the way for their transition to streaming and mobile platforms.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Agreed. Lord Gabe bless MS for not making exclusives anymore. May the definitive PC versions be with us.

MikeM

How is it hypocrisy? Maybe if Sony came to MS and said "Hey, we will out all our games on Xbox if you out all your games on PS" he would take that, but we will never know because Sony ain't coming to them with that.
You think he should just pit out all of Xboxs games on PS regardless of Sony doing it as well?
What do you think he should do so you don't think he is hypocritical?
Lol why would you give out your IP like that if you want people within your walled garden? Literally diminishing your brand overnight.

Fake

Nadella should stop using BING and start to search the story of the Microsoft on the Google with will give better results.

Bond007

Yea cause it doesnt benefit them. Nor do i think same day PC was a great idea or even gamepass.
Just devalues what they do have and nobody has to buy a $70 game. Hit it and quit it.

Exclusives are what define a console- what makes you choose one or the other, incentive to buy more than one. Its just how it is.
They dont have any- they gotta buy em or talk about how archaic it supposedly is. LMAO. You also dont try to buy all the major pubs to boost your inorganic lineup.

So unless they all merge and make a Sony SwitchStation Series X--- its how its gonna be. I dont see nobody bitching about Zelda being exclusive lol

Last edited:

Rockondevil

While I do think his opinion would probably change if he was in Sonys or Nintendos shoes I do think he’s not wrong at the same time.

It’s a necessary evil. For example I would love no crime or world peace, but that isn’t happening so we still have police and military’s.

You can keep calling him a hypocrite because he has exclusives, but he’s be far worse off if he didn’t as that’s part of the gaming business.

All of them act and talk like fucking snakes, Xbox has never lead, even with 360

If you were there at the time every media and outlet and fan was making sure you knew the Xbox was leading. To the point where Nintendo was excluded and then added fuel to the fire by excluding themselves as well directly.

Sure wasn't first in sales, granted somehow with all these sales leaks no one leaked what 360 sales ended up being, but in environment, consciousness, word of mouth, and mindshare it was leading. The Wii numbers didn't matter after the initial shock people just seperated it into its own category and ignored it for the "games".

Gojiira

Banned
If you were there at the time every media and outlet and fan was making sure you knew the Xbox was leading. To the point where Nintendo was excluded and then added fuel to the fire by excluding themselves as well directly.

Sure wasn't first in sales, granted somehow with all these sales leaks no one leaked what 360 sales ended up being, but in environment, consciousness, word of mouth, and mindshare it was leading. The Wii numbers didn't matter after the initial shock people just seperated it into its own category and ignored it for the "games".
I was there…
You can literally find the sales figures online, PS3 outsold 360, Wii barely beat PS3.
The ‘mindshare’ was due to a headstart on Xbox’s side, that literally made zero difference once the PS3 exclusives started rolling out regularly.
The point is Xbox never capitalised on that ‘lead’, they had every advantage and did nothing with it…

Gojiira

Banned
So you weren't there since you ignored the fact nothing I said was about sales figures.

Also Microsoft would have to reveal 360 numbers in order for us to know what it sold.
As I said, ONCE the PS3 exclusives started rolling out that was it, narrative changed, PS3 dominated the gen, Xbox lost its imagined ‘lead’…
You clearly weren’t there if you dont understand this…

As I said, ONCE the PS3 exclusives started rolling out that was it, narrative changed,

No it didn't.

That narrative was al over, it confused people in Europe because eventually the sales recovered and got higher there, but they would continue hearing about 360 domination and a Wii being some separate grandma thing all the way until prescandal Xbox One where people though based on leaks and early rumors that Xbox was going to mop the floor with Sony before the bad stuff started coming out and before the "early reveal" of the console with Kinect 2.

It's very clear when mindshare turned against Xbox. It was a combination of a decline of 360 support, and Xbox One scandal even overshadowing new game announcements for the new consoles until they decided to cancel their ambitions because the backlash was too heavy. The whole gen previous was 360 beating the PS3, 360 better multiplats, oh look LA Noir maybe the PS3 is coming back, oh look more games better on the 360, Wii is for kidz, HD Twins, Xbox records, Xbox on TV, Xbox leading indie games, Xbox lead console for almost every event or tournament, etc.

Either you weren't there, or completely erased your memory, or are Japanese where the console died after the first few years.

Last edited:

Gojiira

Banned
No it didn't.

That narrative was al over, it confused people in Europe because eventually the sales recovered and got higher there, but they would continue hearing about 360 domination and a Wii being some separate grandma thing all the way until prescandal Xbox One where people though based on leaks and early rumors that Xbox was going to mop the floor with Sony before the bad stuff started coming out and before the "early reveal" of the console with Kinect 2.

It's very clear when mindshare turned against Xbox. It was a combination of a decline of 360 support, and Xbox One scandal even overshadowing new game announcements for the new consoles until they decided to cancel their ambitions because the backlash was too heavy. The whole gen previous was 360 beating the PS3, 360 better multiplats, oh look LA Noir maybe the PS3 is coming back, oh look more games better on the 360, Wii is for kidz, HD Twins, Xbox records, Xbox on TV, Xbox leading indie games, Xbox lead console for almost every event or tournament, etc.

Either you weren't there, or completely erased your memory, or are Japanese where the console died after the first few years.
Ffs…Whatever you say expert

Top Bottom