• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scariest movie monster (and the movie it's from)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem I had was that it was all buildup and no payoff. Just a bunch of kids running around, freaked out in the woods. Noises happen here and there, and then all of a sudden the movie ends in the basement of a building.

(Yes, I'm aware what actually happened in the basement, but it still doesn't counter the fact that there was literally no climax to the movie)

We'll have to agree to disagree. I thought the ending was great.

Around the time of release they had a very clever marketing campaign that elaborated more on the child murderer Rustin Parr and the legend, so maybe that had something to do with it. Also, the acting is far better than it had any right to be considering the budget, I thought they held the film together very well. It could have gone very wrong with a different cast.

I'm a complete skeptic when it comes to ghosts and such in real life, but Blair Witch still gives me the creeps a bit.

Chabbles

The Mac Daddy of horror movie monsters for me as a kid.
ibbMRAWaQUstNf.gif

It had some good stuff (my god, the scene where her boyfriend wakes up and she's just laying there on the floor tied into a pretzel while staring at him? So god damned tense), but ultimately disappointed. I liked the early stuff where they would go back and forth between what happened and then have the prosecutor offer a rational explanation, but the movie quickly abandoned the conceit and decided that no, it really was all supernatural.

Ya, that "pretzel"(lol) scene, best scare in the entire movie imo. Some freaky shit. Got a chill down the back of my spine first time i seen it.

Sounds like she had some kind of epilepsy, but they go more for the supernatural. All bs to me, just a great movie imo, at least they gave the 2 sides of story though, made the movie more "believable" while watching it.

Ourobolus

Banned
Around the time of release they had a very clever marketing campaign that elaborated more on the child murderer Rustin Parr and the legend, so maybe that had something to do with it. Also, the acting is far better than it had any right to be considering the budget, I thought they held the film together very well. It could have gone very wrong with a different cast.
I'll agree with this part. It wasn't phenomenal or anything, but definitely better than it could have been.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Mirrors was a totally forgettable movie, but if you've seen it there's one scene you're bound to remember:
tumblr_mrjvf0Qrjv1sdlu9mo3_500.gif

Not technically a monster, but oh JESUS GOD!

That didn't bother me at all, but there was an episode of Amazing Stories called Mirror, Mirror that really messed me up as a kid.
A guy starts seeing a figure behind him, moving towards him every time he sees his reflection. And each time it starts at the distance it left off at the last time he looked away.

http://postimage.org/
Fun fact: The mirror monster is Tim Robbins.
Holy shitballs fact: The episode was directed by Martin Scorsese.

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to
That didn't bother me at all, but there was an episode of Amazing Stories called Mirror, Mirror that really messed me up as a kid.
A guy starts seeing a figure behind him, moving towards him every time he sees his reflection. And each time it starts at the distance it left off at the last time he looked away.

That sounds pretty creepy indeed, is that Sam Waterson too?

We'll have to agree to disagree. I thought the ending was great.

I'm a complete skeptic when it comes to ghosts and such in real life, but Blair Witch still gives me the creeps a bit.

It did. I had a companion book that was written as a factual account of the history of it all, and Rustin Parr had a group of kids and made them face the wall while he killed them off one by one...that's why that one guy was stood facing the wall.

http://www.blairwitch.com/parr4.html
Then, in November of 1940, she told him to go down to Burkittsville and get the first two children he saw. For some reason he found himself unable to resist. Actually, unwilling to resist. He followed the voice's directions completely, even when it began instructing him to take more children from the town of Burkittsville and kill them. In all, Rustin murdered seven children, sparing one, Kyle Brody, a boy who was made to stand in the corner while Rustin performed the awful act in the cellar of his house.

zeemumu

That reminds me of an episode of the Night Gallery called "The Cemetary." This guy had a painting of his house inside the house and everytime he walked by it this corpse in the painting would get closer to his front door.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
Now Cujo?
tumblr_mdi5nxeAcz1qfpn1do3_500.gif

Cujo was terrifying.
Cujo was terrifying because Cujo was real. All you had to do was imagine that Cujo was your own, beloved dog. All the ghosts, goblins, and boogeymen were rubber shit to me, but Cujo was real. Jaws was real-ish (well, not Jaws 3D). Jack Nicholson in the Shining was real, even if the ghosts that drove him crazy were not.

As an aside, I'm also far more impressed by practical effects than CGI.

Mike M

Nick N

Oh my goooooooooooooooood I just remembered this and how badly it terrified me as a kid.

Nope nope nope nope nope

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgKUS9AFemc

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
That reminds me of an episode of the Night Gallery called "The Cemetary." This guy had a painting of his house inside the house and everytime he walked by it this corpse in the painting would get closer to his front door.

Oh, shiz... I'd seen that but forgotten about it. It was directed by Katie Sagal's dad, lol.
Apparently even that is similar to an older story called The Mezzotint.

Mike M

Nick N
yzcrlXH.jpg

Grave Encounters 2.

Just watched this last night. Good god it creeped me out.
That was like... The one good part of that movie. It really fell apart once the pseudo twist happened where
the guy from the first one was still alive and has been there for ten years

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
passion-devil2.jpg

I would say Satan from The Passion of The Christ as it has a basis in reality.for those of the Christian faith.

Newlove

Fuck these things. I watched this movie when I was 12, and for some reason it scared the shit out of me. That footage they show on the news where the alien passes in front of the driveway is still burnt into my retinas.

I had the same fucking reaction when I saw that movie, me and Joaquin just yelled "WHOA" completely in synch.

That scene completely freaked me out when I was younger.

zoozilla

Man, I just remembered that this guy was my nightmare. My dad used to walk around the house and imitate him, droning "Dada....Dada...." with his hands stuck out, and I legitimately freaked out every time. I still think he's pretty creepy for a kid's show.

From Ultraman

I also watched Buckaroo Banzai recently, and was shocked at how creepy this scene is:

And the weird slug that slides towards her.... what a weird movie.

Daffy Duck

I may have to watch Mama. Not many things scare me in movies, but those tense "holy shit it's just standing there, it's just standing there...OHMIGOD IT'S COMING RIGHT AT ME" scenes freak me out like nothing else.

I actually had a dream after watching The Blair Witch Project (shit movie, BTW), where I was one of the characters and ended up going into the house and opening the basement door and there was essentially some creepy silhouette standing at the bottom of the stairs looking up at me. Then it charged. I woke up in a sweat.

I watched drag me to hell last night and the scene where the shadow comes towards her in the kitchen sent shivers down my spine.

Fuck these things. I watched this movie when I was 12, and for some reason it scared the shit out of me. That footage they show on the news where the alien passes in front of the driveway is still burnt into my retinas.

I had the same fucking reaction when I saw that movie, me and Joaquin just yelled "WHOA" completely in synch.

That scene spooked me out too when I first saw it.

So many scary moments in this thread.

well, kind of silly now after all that has been mentioned: but there is a scene in The Mothman Prophesies where Gere walks out of the room and the glaring red eyes show up in a mirror.

Not as bad as those *very long beep* aliens in signs though, but still.

Raydeen

Some great examples.

Props to the Xtro love...no one else I know has ever seen it. I thought I'd imagined it.

When we first got a VHS in my house, our debut cassete rental was The Thing. Followed by...Deadly Spawn.

tumblr_lrzs8qit2B1r3r7v2o1_500.gif

Can't find a pic or video of it (I'm surprised), but the scene from In the Mouth of Madness where Styles gets out of the car, walking backwards on hands and feet WITH HER FUCKING HEAD TWISTED AROUND AS SHE'S GIGGLING

Fucking NIGHTMARES

Also, I wasn't a big fan of The Innkeepers, but thought they had a simple and super effective ghost design.

VRD9ypZ.jpg

M2R60FF.jpg

Kinsei

Banned
Since all of my top picks have been posted already and other people are posting TV shows.

The Gentlemen from Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

Gentlemen.jpg

Can't even shout, can't even cry
The Gentlemen are coming by
Looking in windows, knocking on doors
They need to take seven and the might take yours
Can't call to mom, can't say a word
You're going to die screaming but you won't be heard

Pinhead.png

Love threads like this....But this Guy^, NOPE. As a child, i was petrified of him. and to this day i still cant get through one of his movies without going to bed seeing shit in my apartment shadows.

Solo

Gotta go with the OG Michael Myers here. I'm not talking the unnecessary sequels or attempts at backstories (a curse, really?) or Rob Zombie attempting to give him an origin and motives. Newp, ain't nobody got time for that. Talk about ruining the essence of the character. Michael is terrifying in Halloween '78 for two reasons. The first is that John Carpenter brilliantly used the Hitchcock style of horror, that what you don't see is far more terrifying than what you do see. Michael is shown sparsely, has no dialogue, and the film often pulls away before showing you the actual kill. The second reason is that Carpenter didn't give him origins or motives. He was just pure evil, an entity, a soulless killing machine. The boogeyman.

There's a reason it remains my favorite horror film of all time. On top of that of course is Carpenter's brilliant score and Dean Cundey's fantastic cinematography.

The beast from Brotherhood of the wolf:

PacteLoups-mh2_2.jpg

The fact that you never really see it for the whole movie, that you never really now what it was and that it's based on real events.

Or seeing the brute force approach as leading to failure it decided to change its tactics for the 2nd group of people.

That almost certainly wasn't the movie's intention though, since it tries its darndest to make us think that The Thing is just as clever as it was in the original, despite it making three colossaly stupid screwups:

Morphing while on a helicopter bound for civilization and ruining its best chance for escape

Not just detatching its limb like it did earlier in the movie to catch Kate while she's cowering just out of reach of its (completely extendable, mind you) tentacles while on the alien ship

Reaching for the wrong ear while disguised as Carter when it's mentioned that it's missing the deceased man's earring, even though it should know which ear he wore it on after assimilating his friggin' memories. Also, not immediately torching Kate when it was clear that the jig was up

Mind you, it does do some smart stuff like destroying the blood samples and the aforementioned detaching limbs bit, but it was on the whole a really dumb beast, despite the script's best effort to make you think otherwise.

Help me out gaf, I want to contribute but I can't remember the name of the film.

It's a U.K indie film that came out about 2-3 years ago, it's set in northern Ireland I think and it's about a guy who's pregnant wife is attacked by a group of thuggish looking kids.

After the main character's wife is attacked he suffers from agoraphobia but he's still being harassed by these seemingly "thuggish teens"

edit:NVM I found it, the damn kids from Citadel... Holy shit that scared me..

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to
OK then lol.

Oh I still figured you'd seen it ha. PSA, everybody go out, TONIGHT, and watch One Eyed Monster with Ron Jeremy. It used to be on Netflix, not sure about now. It's like Thankskilling but much more watchable imo.

That almost certainly wasn't the movie's intention though, since it tries its darndest to make us think that The Thing is just as clever as it was in the original, despite it making three colossaly stupid screwups:

• Morphing while on a helicopter bound for civilization and ruining its best chance for escape
  • Not just detatching its limb like it did earlier in the movie to catch Kate while she's cowering just out of reach of its (completely extendable, mind you) tentacles while on the alien ship
  • Reaching for the wrong ear while disguised as Carter when it's mentioned that it's missing the deceased man's earring, even though it should know which ear he wore it on after assimilating his friggin' memories. Also, not immediately torching Kate when it was clear that the jig was up

Mind you, it does do some smart stuff like destroying the blood samples and the aforementioned detaching limbs bit, but it was on the whole a really dumb beast, despite the script's best effort to make you think otherwise.

That's the problem I have with that theory of it trying to brute force things in this one due to inexperience....it was pretty inconsistent. It bulldozed out of the ice block in full view of someone, then tried to be sneaky in hiding and keeping things semi-hidden, then it'd freak out again. The worst one for me was when it had the main character completely alone and separated from everyone else...all it had to do was walk up, muffle her scream, and it had her. Instead it rips itself apart and noisily screeches before going for her in a configuration that can barely move.

If it was just aggressive, and then learned after some failed attempts to try something new, it'd be one thing. But it was all over the place to the point where it bore no real relation to the creature in Carpenter's movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom