• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scariest movie monster (and the movie it's from)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not technically a monster, but that thing from Inland Empire, man, fuck that thing.
LwVSYuV.jpg

I watched this movie in the dark with headphones, and I swear that this part made me literally gasp out loud like an idiot.

B

bomb

Unconfirmed Member
Help me out gaf, I want to contribute but I can't remember the name of the film.

It's a U.K indie film that came out about 2-3 years ago, it's set in northern Ireland I think and it's about a guy who's pregnant wife is attacked by a group of thuggish looking kids.

After the main character's wife is attacked he suffers from agoraphobia but he's still being harassed by these seemingly "thuggish teens"

edit:NVM I found it, the damn kids from Citadel... Holy shit that scared me..

Attack the Block

Not a monster in the traditional sense, but he does some pretty despicable things:

1324726794807_by_realghostvids-d750vdf.gif

The serial killer from The Poughkeepsie Tapes. Unfortunately there is lots of bad acting in this film but these parts are super creepy and kind of make up for it.

Tremis

This man does his research.
Not really monsters, but
those damn paintings
from Black Swan scared the shit out of me.

zeemumu

That almost certainly wasn't the movie's intention though, since it tries its darndest to make us think that The Thing is just as clever as it was in the original, despite it making three colossaly stupid screwups:

Morphing while on a helicopter bound for civilization and ruining its best chance for escape

Not just detatching its limb like it did earlier in the movie to catch Kate while she's cowering just out of reach of its (completely extendable, mind you) tentacles while on the alien ship

Reaching for the wrong ear while disguised as Carter when it's mentioned that it's missing the deceased man's earring, even though it should know which ear he wore it on after assimilating his friggin' memories. Also, not immediately torching Kate when it was clear that the jig was up

Mind you, it does do some smart stuff like destroying the blood samples and the aforementioned detaching limbs bit, but it was on the whole a really dumb beast, despite the script's best effort to make you think otherwise.

I have one question about The Thing though. They showed that the things will blow each other's cover to save themselves, but what happens if a thing that is under cover is encountered by a thing that has had its cover blown? Will it try to kill and assimilate the other thing, or do they just pretend that they're fighting to keep up the act? Do the things even know which people are infected?

I guess im the only person in this thread who got DESTROYED by disney's Dont Look Under The Bed. Couldnt sleep right for weeks.

No you aren't. That movie scared the crap out of me.

evildead.gif

evil dead remake, only good scene tbh.

I have one question about The Thing though. They showed that the things will blow each other's cover to save themselves, but what happens if a thing that is under cover is encountered by a thing that has had its cover blown? Will it try to kill and assimilate the other thing, or do they just pretend that they're fighting to keep up the act? Do the things even know which people are infected?

That scenario has never been tested on screen afaik so we don't know how it would play out. Either way it does dumb things, yet does smart things (like destroying eveidence (blood samples)). I think we can just put it down to inconsistent/bad writing, especially for a film that's supposed to make you think about events and break them down, not a simple monster movie.

eso76

Statues coming to life freak me out.

Cigar store indian from Creepshow 2
creep3.jpg

yep good choice too.
His battle cry on the cheap synth music crescendo when he's coming back to life haunted me for a long time.

I think that has to do with the fact that i used to watch horror movies when i was 12 or younger (in the 80's that is) but that's what horror is about for me.
Practical effects, masks, stop motion and cheesy synth music.

another fine example, but i was more interested in that girl who runs around completely naked for like the entire central part of the movie.

Daffy Duck

This guy spooked me and my mate way more than he should have when we saw this at the cinema.

I was spooked for days after seeing it. the fact I use my phone light as a torch to find my way up stairs as night when my girlfriend is in bed and there is a mirror on our landing does not help.

Still haven't managed to watch it again at home despite buying the blu ray.

sinister.gif

Nev

Banned
Someone told me I should watch Sinister, "it's better than that crap The Conjuring!". So I watched it. From that moment I knew I should stop trusting her cinema criteria.
The final scene is just despicable.

My vote is for this bitch
SHUTTER%2B(5).jpg

From Shutter. Good horror movie by the way (the original, not the American remake).
I had trouble sleeping alone after the bed scene.

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to
Someone told me I should watch Sinister, "it's better than that crap The Conjuring!". So I watched it. From that moment I knew I should stop trusting her cinema criteria.
The final scene is just despicable

I really liked Sinister and I thought the Conjuring was meh. Expected it to be the other way around from what I'd heard. Go figure lol

OriginX

This guy spooked me and my mate way more than he should have when we saw this at the cinema.

I was spooked for days after seeing it. the fact I use my phone light as a torch to find my way up stairs as night when my girlfriend is in bed and there is a mirror on our landing does not help.

Still haven't managed to watch it again at home despite buying the blu ray.

sinister.gif

I actually really liked Sinister. I didn't find it particularly scary, but it was really interesting and creepy. Mr Boogie did give me one jump in the attic scene with the kids, but I was honestly more creeped out with the lawnmower scene.

It's quite possible that they'd infight, since each Thing is an autonomous organism and it's implied that they have no loyalty to the "original" one that brought them into being.

Heck, one of the characters even questions whether or not one is aware of their assimilation or if they just go about their business normally until The Thing takes over, which would mean a definite "yes" to the question of whether two assimilated beings would fight each other.

That scenario has never been tested on screen afaik so we don't know how it would play out. Either way it does dumb things, yet does smart things (like destroying eveidence (blood samples)). I think we can just put it down to inconsistent/bad writing, especially for a film that's supposed to make you think about events and break them down, not a simple monster movie.

It's only dumb in the new movie. The only remotely dumb thing it does in the original is try and assimilate Bennings in the middle of a room which was frequently visited by the rest of the crew. Other than that, it only revelaed itself if it was made clear that everyone had seen through its disguise, or in opportune moments such as the chest paddle scene when it realized it had the chance to take out
Dr. Copper, the only one who could provide the humans with medical assistance
, thus greatly decreasing their chances of surviving the winter.

zeemumu

It's quite possible that they'd infight, since each Thing is an autonomous organism and it's implied that they have no loyalty to the "original" one that brought them into being.

Heck, one of the characters even questions whether or not one is aware of their assimilation or if they just go about their business normally until The Thing takes over, which would mean a definite "yes" to the question of whether two assimilated beings would fight each other.

It's only dumb in the new movie. The only remotely dumb thing it does in the original is try and assimilate Bennings in the middle of a room which was frequently visited by the rest of the crew. Other than that, it only revelaed itself if it was made clear that everyone had seen through its disguise, or in opportune moments such as the chest paddle scene when it realized it had the chance to take out
Dr. Copper, the only one who could provide the humans with medical assistance
, thus greatly decreasing their chances of surviving the winter.

If I had to guess, I would say that the thing's irrational behavior in the remake prequel was because it didn't have as much experience as it did in the original movie. It had been buried in the ice that whole time so it hadn't had any contact with humans until their team came along. By the time that ideal was over, it had decided which tactics were effective and which were not, so it was a lot more effective at destroying MacReady's team.

That didn't bother me at all, but there was an episode of Amazing Stories called Mirror, Mirror that really messed me up as a kid.
A guy starts seeing a figure behind him, moving towards him every time he sees his reflection. And each time it starts at the distance it left off at the last time he looked away.

http://postimage.org/
Fun fact: The mirror monster is Tim Robbins.
Holy shitballs fact: The episode was directed by Martin Scorsese.
Loved that episode so much that I always remembered it, even though I had no clue what it was from..

Really should find the Amazing Stories series somewhere.

So much I need to see here. Lots of it isn't available to stream though, so kind of a downer.

The one in particular I'm thinking of is The Possession. I need to prioritize seeing that.

Protein

Banned
The Beastmaster

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SegQXGEGKw

The Devourers

beastmasterwings.jpg

How it Eats
As grotesquely illustrated below, the winged devourers use their wings to capture and hold human prey. Once secured, they vomit a corrosive solvent over the squirming meal’s head. This is a form of external digestion, which you’ve also seen in spiders, the common housefly or the extremely rare Brundlefly.

Worst hug ever. (Image by Migg Verbasan) Bad hug! (Image by Migg Verbasan)
Once regurgitated, the caustic upchuck sinks in for a few moments, liquefying flesh right off the bone. Then the monster sucks most of the grotesque soup back up into its gullet for a tasty meal.

Clearly, the creature lacks anything resembling a proper jaw — and this is key. Since it lacks the basic tools of mastication, it has to break down flesh into a liquid to consume it.

After sucking up as much of the liquefied flesh as possible, the creature simply throws open its wings and lets the slimy remnants of bone and armor plop to the ground. Yet since the winged devourers are clearly intelligent and cultured beings, so they’re not about to waste those precious bones. Instead, they employ a very human mode of external digestion — cooking — to boil these indigestible bits down into a slurpable stew.

Nobody remembers Re-Animator?
We do, we just choose not to. That
final lunging plasmic flesh that grips Herbert
actually gets me every time. But man, those practical effects of the head are so damn snazzy.

Not to mention that other fascinating scene with the object of his affection.

I guess you could really use a lot of Yuzna films.

Dali

The thing from the original movie. The kid from pet semetary. The step father from pet semetary 2. The woman at the end of [rec]. Parts of insidious like the old woman was after the father his entire life.

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to
I feel like the only one who was underwhelmed by [REC]. I got on a scary movie kick recently so maybe I was desensitized by the time I reached [REC]. But I found the whole movie to be pretty meh, and I can see how the final segment is theoretically awesome, but when I watched it I was just like eh, kinda saw it coming. Normally I have a low tolerance for scary, so I was surprised that nothing in that movie really got me.

Metalmarc

E.T scared the shit out of me when i saw it as a kid in the cinema, i was 5 in the 80's, i didn't even know what aliens were at that point, nor had i been in a cinema before, wtf they turn out the lights? O_0 i hid under my hood on my late nannas lap until halfway through the movie, the chase scenes in the begging through the forest, this creature thing screaming "eueehrahrgehrgrhrhrhrrhhh" or whatever, that sound is sounds like a dying pig ,

So yeah im 5, i just discovered the lights go out in the cinema to watch this massive screen, the sound was louder than id ever heard at that point in my life and now i was introduced to a ugly, screaming at humans and heavy breathing, son of the exorcist when he speaks, sounding son of a bitch.

nightmare fuel for a 5yr old kids first ever cinema trip in their life i swear

Now i am not phased by much, but i still am very impressed with the thing.

Also when i was a kid how cool were the aliens and creepy in war of the worlds with that long brown arm with long fingers and that woman screams and then the aliens screams, fuck it was like e.t all over again, except it came first, only i saw those films in the wrong order.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
From the movie Aliens. When I first saw this you knew the alien was coming for her, but I still freaked out when it appeared.

Aliens%2B3.jpg

Ourobolus

Banned
The Beastmaster

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SegQXGEGKw

The Devourers

beastmasterwings.jpg

How it Eats
As grotesquely illustrated below, the winged devourers use their wings to capture and hold human prey. Once secured, they vomit a corrosive solvent over the squirming meal’s head. This is a form of external digestion, which you’ve also seen in spiders, the common housefly or the extremely rare Brundlefly.

Worst hug ever. (Image by Migg Verbasan) Bad hug! (Image by Migg Verbasan)
Once regurgitated, the caustic upchuck sinks in for a few moments, liquefying flesh right off the bone. Then the monster sucks most of the grotesque soup back up into its gullet for a tasty meal.

Clearly, the creature lacks anything resembling a proper jaw — and this is key. Since it lacks the basic tools of mastication, it has to break down flesh into a liquid to consume it.

After sucking up as much of the liquefied flesh as possible, the creature simply throws open its wings and lets the slimy remnants of bone and armor plop to the ground. Yet since the winged devourers are clearly intelligent and cultured beings, so they’re not about to waste those precious bones. Instead, they employ a very human mode of external digestion — cooking — to boil these indigestible bits down into a slurpable stew.

Oh man, I remember posting about these guys in some previous thread. Glad to see I'm not the only one. These things freaked me the fuck out when I was a young boy.

Nun from Exorcist 3
exorcist-3-nurse-o.gif

The child-eating Tree from Poltergeist
poltergeist-tree-o.gif

The Clown from Poltergeist
poltergeist-clown-doll-o.gif

The Kids/monsters/whatevers from "The Brood" gave me NIGHTMARES as a kid:
the-brood-monsters-o.gif

pgMflM8.jpg

s5xLhj2.jpg

Bonus Gif from "The Brood". man, this movie...
NSFW link: http://i.imgur.com/3KMoGOf.gif

side note: I hate Blair Witch Project (and all it's spawns) as it brought out the worst in movie shooting: fucking shacky cam, "found footage" shit etc etc. basicly everything I hate in most (horror) movies nowadays.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
This thread made me realize that body horror is the only kind of horror I find genuinely unsettling. Ghosts and standard monsters don't do anything for me.

Another thing, no pearly whites on your monsters because it completely breaks suspension of disbelief for me. You're a friggin' monster, you don't have toothpaste.

Glat to see I wasn't the only one to be terrified of ET. I have nothing new to add here - everything I could have imagined and worse was already mentioned...

However.

In Braindead/Dead Alive, the 'thing' that his mother turns into by the end, enveloping the house in a mass of puss and breast and hair and teeth and more pus... I was thoroughly nauseated at that thing. Not scared - since that movie isn't really about scares - but just soooo super grossed out. Even as a big fan of horror. There's a lot I can take - even in that movie there is a lot of gross stuff going on - but it wasn't till the end that I was like.... oh for the love of christ what is that over the chimney? Part of what looks to be a pubic bone and... a vagina? Okay.

Just to add to the thread: the monster from "The Relic". Fantastic design, and freaky as hell.

Aw man, Kothoga.

I remember Relic coming out around the same time as the first Sream, and wondered how the hell that movie scared more people than that creature.

Supposedly a genetic combination of spider, lion, serpent, alligator, a few other species, and
human

huxley00

Not a monster, but still used to scare the piss out of me as a kid. Man, stuck in machine, barely hanging onto his humanity

KraisEx.jpg

Especially when he got all fucked up and was twitching and you saw what horror laid beneath the face mask.

Perhaps not really a monster (he's a good guy), but still very scary when I watched this as a kid: Kuato from Total Recall
Yeah this was very gnarly to the eight-year-old-me as well. /greatparents

Just watched this last night for the tenth time or so, and while it isn't terrifying, it's very nauseating and griiiiiimy:

Society

society.jpg

10.jpg

The Prince of Darkness
MOD-Prince%2Bof%2BDarkness%2B2.JPG

This thing in the dreams that you dont know what it is.

Good choice, that used to make me uncomfortable as a kid. It's a bit silly now, but one of Carpenter's underrated films.

Edit: Even though it's not a monster, the sounds the manatee make in Colin Eggleston's "Long Weekend" (1978) freaked me out for years. I never knew what the film was called until a few years ago, managed to import it from Australia. It has since been remade, although I haven't had the courage to watch it as it's most likely shit.

Svartnatt

How about scary sexy? Yes, she is a monster, but I won't spoil it for those who haven't seen it. And if you haven't, you should!

Sorry about the size, these are the most SFW-ish pics I could find. Reasonably sure nobody's going to mind...

lifeforce2.jpg

Lifeforce_MM.jpg

He looks like an EC Comics antagonist come to life, and the cartooniness adds to how unsettling he is over more traditionally scary looking monsters.
This is probably the best comparison/association I've ever heard used to describe the creature.

sCHOCOLATE

How about scary sexy? Yes, she is a monster, but I won't spoil it for those who haven't seen it. And if you haven't, you should!

Sorry about the size, these are the most SFW-ish pics I could find. Reasonably sure nobody's going to mind...

At first, I thought Matilda May was the character's name and the actress was Alyssa Milano. My eyes deceived me.

As goofy as Return of the Living Dead is, Tarman freaks me out. He looks like an EC Comics antagonist come to life, and the cartooniness adds to how unsettling he is over more traditionally scary looking monsters.

I have to agree that this is an incredible comparison. In fact, I'm not sure that Tarman isn't pulled from an EC Comic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom