• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SCEA: 1.2m PS3s sold from Black Friday to Dec 31

Busty

Banned
1.2 million units for the time frame given seems.....good. Great in fact.

Considering in early September before the 40 gig was announced it seemed very possible that the PS3 would be going into Xmas with the 80gig model as it's sole SKU Sony have certainly done a great job aggressively turning their fortunes around.

The real shock for me however, was the PSP being the best selling member of the PlayStation 'family' this Xmas. Impressive.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Sharp said:
Not quite 1.2 million in five weeks. More like... seven, I think?

Nov 23 - Dec 31 is 5 weeks and 2 or 3 days.

I'm surprised they pulled those numbers, but then again, it's not so long ago we were looking at 599 PS3s. Things did change fairly quickly for the better.

I believe Microsoft sold 1.1 million 360s last december so it would be nice to see how close the PS3 came to that for December when the NPD comes around.

"didnt the 360 do 1.2 Million in december last year at the same pricepoint? how would that be insane :/"

Yea it wouldn't be that crazy at least compared to what the 360 did. I get the feeling the PS3's number for December may be at best 650k hopefully higher.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
tanod said:
If they sold at the same pace as November, they'd be at 625,000. I'd put a guess in at 850k PS3 sold on NPD day.

If they are releasing this, I need to ask in the prediction thing if we are allowed to revise. I put them for 790k in december. on the ps3.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Agent Icebeezy said:
If they are releasing this, I need to ask in the prediction thing if we are allowed to revise. I put them for 790k in december. on the ps3.

People should check for furious editing in that thread at the moment :p

Crisis

Banned
reilo said:
Funny, that's not what GAF was saying in Novembers NPD, and that's especially not what people are predicting in the NPD hardware predictions thread.

Hell. I had numerous arguments with people in various threads who called me crazy for thinking that PS3 sales would double in December.

You also had people saying that selling 500,000 systems in November was "bad". Don't listen to everything people on GAF say. :lol

_leech_ said:
So 1.8 million Wii's?

If they had enough supply that number is entirely feasible.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Agent Icebeezy said:

Why revise it? You are most likely in the ballpark figure, I'd reckon.

Busty said:
The real shock for me however, was the PSP being the best selling member of the PlayStation 'family' this Xmas. Impressive.
Yeah, the PSP has been somehow brought back to life. It's not trying to be the DS Lite but it's still a damn good handheld on its own. If the PS3 can see that kind of success without eclipsing the Wii I'll still be damn glad.

1.2 million in NA over its second holiday and a $100 price drop is pretty terrible, IMO. We'll see how long it does decently elsewhere (some of Europe), but I think the platform is most definitely burnt toast in NA. Absolutely toast.

Firewire

Banned
Sharp said:
Not quite 1.2 million in five weeks. More like... seven, I think? I have a terrible memory for dates. Still good, but don't get too giddy and misinterpret it. There's no real need to, anyway, since these are very respectable numbers.

Oh yeah I know, but its better than some of the nay sayers were forecasting. Regardless Sony makes money off two of the three platforms so its good news for the Playstation brand altogether!

Still though with the PS3's inventory of games for '08, I really think the PS2 era needs to die, I really think it would help to push PS3's at a good consistent rate through '08. But it's not going to happen.

reilo

No wonder Sony keeps touting the 10 year plan when the PS2 and PSP are selling at this clip - especially the PS2 respective in its life cycle.

Granted, the PS3 is neither of those two.

Concept17

MightyHedgehog said:
1.2 million in NA over its second holiday and a $100 price drop is pretty terrible, IMO. We'll see how long it does decently elsewhere (some of Europe), but I think the platform is most definitely burnt toast in NA. Absolutely toast.

Yes because the first year is all that really matter, right?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
reilo said:
Why revise it? You are most likely in the ballpark figure, I'd reckon.

It probably would be a bit more than that, if NPD and SCEA are on the same level..

To what degree, though, depends..when did the $399 cut come into effect again, what date?

JMPovoa

MightyHedgehog said:

1.2 Million Units in Holiday Season is hardly burnt toast.

reilo

gofreak said:
It probably would be a bit more than that, if NPD and SCEA are on the same level..

To what degree, though, depends..when did the $399 cut come into effect again, what date?

Late October.

In the second December for PS2 in the US, they sold 2.7 million. Figure that PS3 is selling about 1/3 that if they hit around 900,000. That figure would also be slightly worse than Xbox 1 did during its second December here.

xaosslug

PS3 BOM- uh, on hold...
87333tc.gif

knitoe

Anyone else just love Sony PR spin? To get over the 1 million mark, Sony wisely added the Black Friday week.

Nutter

f_elz said:
another pre npd day press release :eek:
Here is a some spin.

-Is this PR another pre-emtive Damage Control from Sony regarding Dec NPD. (Considering they freakin put a week of Nov, rather then the slow week of Newyears in their numbers)

or

-Did sony sell with in a respectable range compared to 360 and Wii.

harSon

Banned
gofreak said:

As much as I'd like to think they are, they probably aren't....

HomerSimpson-Man said:
X360 pricepoint ranged from $300-400 last year and not $400-500 though.

Doesnt the 400$ PS3 still have a better feature set then the 400$ 360 last year.....

I don't really buy that. 40GB PS3 was 400$ unless you think PS2 BC really stopped alot of people from buying the 40GB PS3 and decided they didnt have the money to spend on the 80GB.

mood

Nintendo and Microsoft should add the biggest shopping day of the year to their North American numbers too.

reilo

beermonkey@tehbias said:
In the second December for PS2 in the US, they sold 2.7 million. Figure that PS3 is selling about 1/3 that if they hit around 900,000. That figure would also be slightly worse than Xbox 1 did during it's second December here.

Second December also featured GT3, MGS2, FFX, GTA3 and a $299 price tag.

Threi

notag
Jesus christ people:

1. These numbers aren't EXCELLENT.
2. These numbers aren't TERRIBLE.

They are good at best, fair at worst.

Dizzan

MINI Member
beermonkey@tehbias said:
In the second December for PS2 in the US, they sold 2.7 million. Figure that PS3 is selling about 1/3 that if they hit around 900,000. That figure would also be slightly worse than Xbox 1 did during its second December here.

Yeah it's still not looking good for PS3. Though PS2 keeps rocking!

These numbers look good now but I bet it will be a record month for gaming in general. 360 and Wii sales will blow them away. Sony just wanted to jump in early and get some positive reaction. I reckon wii will sell close to 2 mill, as will 360.

But it is good news that the negative perception of the ps3 is slowly changing.

reilo said:
Second December also featured GT3, MGS2, FFX and a $299 price tag.

No hard drive, worse specs than the competition, and it was actually a somewhat expensive DVD player (United States only) versus the PS3 being a dirt-cheap Blu-Ray player.

Firewire

Banned
beermonkey@tehbias said:

But did the PS2 have any other family members potentially stealing sales? Especially at lower prices?

Damn in the second year of the PS2 were PSP's out yet?

Sharp

harSon said:
As much as I'd like to think they are, they probably aren't....
Why are you doubting Sony's numbers? Do you really think they would have reported them if they weren't confident that they matched NPD's? We know from experience that when Sony doesn't want to reveal numbers it either hides them in percentages or simply doesn't talk about them. That they were willing to give actual figures suggests that they have little doubt in their correctness, and have no reason to distort them. Because, well, they don't.

Top Bottom