• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SCEA: 1.2m PS3s sold from Black Friday to Dec 31

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Lightning said:
I was thinking that as well but I am not holding my breath. Sony screwed their fans last month by releasing freakin shipped numbers.

*scratches head*

Let's do some math here. Since Sony is stating North America in their press release, this means that Canada is being included in their numbers. Canada = ~10% of US sales. 1.2 mil - 120k = 1.08 mil for the US.

For November, ps3 sold 466k units. Divide that by 4, and that comes out to a weekly total of 116.5k. Considering Black Friday is the biggest week in November, let's raise that week's total to say, 180k. Since that week isn't being counted in December NPD, let's subtract 180k from 1.08 mil, and you get an even 900k for December. Factor in another several days from January, and you'll get 900k+ for December NPD.

Not bad numbers but not spectacular. I think they're solid numbers, assuming they get in that range.

800k-900k December is good for the PS3, but will be about 500k to 800k short compared to the competition.

What would be much more important is if Sony can keep some software in the top 10. Here's hoping those new PS3 owners are big spenders, a decent debut for UT3 and legs for Uncharted, AC, and COD4 would ease a lot of dev fears.

Firewire

Banned
I think its great for the PS3, especially considering how it was doing in N.A. to begin with. I wonder what worldwide sales are like for that period?

donny2112

Agent Icebeezy said:
If they are releasing this, I need to ask in the prediction thing if we are allowed to revise.

You can revise your predictions as often as you want until January 11th @ 4 p.m. EST.

Given the price drops, model release and games available I think if this works out to be 900k for December then it's very disappointing.

nextgeneration said:
Let's do some math here. Since Sony is stating North America in their press release, this means that Canada is being included in their numbers. Canada = ~10% of US sales. 1.2 mil - 120k = 1.08 mil for the US.

For November, ps3 sold 446k units. Divide that by 4, and that comes out to a weekly total of 116.5k. Considering Black Friday is the biggest week in November, let's raise that week's total to say, 180k. Since that week isn't being counted in December NPD, let's subtract 180k from 1.08 mil, and you get an even 900k for December. Factor in another several days from January, and you'll get 900k+ for December NPD.

Not bad numbers but not spectacular. I think they're solid numbers, assuming they get in that range.
Take a bigger chunk out of December then that.

Black Friday sees such an increase in sales that the majority of Novembers PS3 sales probably came from that week.

I guess you can call these sales good, but only if you think of the PS3 as the "3rd placer". The PS3 won't become the market leader, or even outpace the 360 if it can't come within 100,000 units of it.

So, in terms of a 3rd placer? Yeah, they're fine. But not to a market leader.

Guy Legend

Redd said:
I would love to know which model is selling more the 40 gb or 80 gb model.

Same. I would venture to guess that the 80gb has a rather huge percentage of sales, although I'm not sure if it would be over half. Looking at Amazon for instance, the 80gb has always been ahead of the 40gb in sales. Retail musings here and a couple of other forums also support the notion that the 80gb is doing extremely well in the PS3 sales landscape.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
reilo said:
Believe it or not, I've seen a UT3 PS3 ad the other day on ESPN. They are still advertising Uncharted and Ratchet [to a lesser extent] to this day. Hopefully they keep this up - no, hopefully they take it a step further.
Agreed.
My friend told me that he's seen many PS3 ads on MTV, TNT & etc...that's what Sony needs to keep doing and do even more of. They have to bring it hardcore in 2008 and keep pushing the ad space as much as they can.
Maybe a kickass MGS4 bundle and they'll be good to go. Sony definitely needs to bring their "AAA" game in 2008, because there's absolutely no room for stupid mistakes anymore.

nextgeneration said:
For November, ps3 sold 446k units. Divide that by 4, and that comes out to a weekly total of 116.5k. Considering Black Friday is the biggest week in November, let's raise that week's total to say, 180k. Since that week isn't being counted in December NPD, let's subtract 180k from 1.08 mil, and you get an even 900k for December. Factor in another several days from January, and you'll get 900k+ for December NPD.

That's a pretty good analysis. I think it'll be in the range of 850-950k. Basically double the November numbers. Now, double both the 360 and Wii numbers from November for comparison sake and the Sony numbers don't look so good.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Lightning said:
I was thinking that as well but I am not holding my breath. Sony screwed their fans last month by releasing freakin shipped numbers.

It's not that they screwed around their fans, lol, it's just that trusting Sony about these things is a bit funny. When Stringer went public about the 100k sold in a week, they specifically named the United States as where this happened. Now, this PR covers North America, so it could be both Canada and the United States for these figures.

Expected numbers. Is it good or bad? Depends on your expectations. Like all Sony PR regarding numbers though, I take it with a grain of salt.

siamesedreamer said:
That's a pretty good analysis. I think it'll be in the range of 850-950k. Basically double the November numbers. Now, double both the 360 and Wii numbers from November for comparison sake and the Sony numbers don't look so good.

Thanks. There was an error in my November number, as I've corrected it to 466k. But the approximation still stands at 900k+.

segarr

Psychotext said:
Given the price drops, model release and games available I think if this works out to be 900k for December then it's very disappointing.
Sure it is. The sales are on a steady increase ;)

Acosta

Pretty good indeed given the situation. Sony executives must feel quite enthusiastic at this moment with all the nice (this) and fantastic (Warner) news.

Bookey

Professional Monk
Does anyone have any #'s of ps2 v xbox1 during their holiday seasons? I know ogxbox had some good holiday periods, right?

donny2112

siamesedreamer said:
No because it pads the true December NPD number. Its more Sony vaguery.

Sony's not trying to give a preview of December NPD sales. They are simply stating sold-through numbers from the start of the Christmas shopping season until the end of the year. The only way it's vague is for anyone trying to match that to December's NPD.

Firewire said:
Why do people expect Sony to leave a gap? The last sales report given by Sony was up to that Black Friday correct? Its only natural to give your next report from that date. If they skipped a week everyone would be like what are they trying to hide!

ssh, don't ruin the fun.

JMPovoa

Thunder Monkey said:
Wii and 360 for big time consoles. The PS2 is on it's way out methinks.

My prediction for the PS3 in December was 850,000 units. Looks like that may be right, and I don't consider that good at all for the PS3.

Thinking about it, adding January's first week (which is about where December NPD coverage ends), it problably hits about a million. As i said before, makes you wonder how the xbox360 and Wii did. We'll problably be seeing some insane numbers.

FIREBABY

siamesedreamer said:
I agree with you. 850-950k max. Sony surely sold more than 180k during black friday week.

legend166

This is totally going to sound like a troll, but I'm serious:

What were the December 2002 figures for the GameCube? Over a million, right?

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
donny2112 said:
Sony's not trying to give a preview of December NPD sales. They are simply stating sold-through numbers from the start of the Christmas shopping season until the end of the year. The only way it's vague is for anyone trying to match that to December's NPD.

My question is this just for the US or Canada and the US. North America covers both. When Stringer went public with the 100k sold in a week, they specifically pointed it that that was for the US only. That bit adds even more confusion to me. I'm trying to get a leg up in the predictions. :D

Lightning

Banned
Agent Icebeezy said:
It's not that they screwed around their fans, lol, it's just that trusting Sony about these things is a bit funny. When Stringer went public about the 100k sold in a week, they specifically named the United States as where this happened. Now, this PR covers North America, so it could be both Canada and the United States for these figures.
Yeah, I understand that 'screwed' is probably the wrong word but that was incredibly misleading for them to do that and it gave PS3 fans the wrong impression and ultimately making them look stupid come NPD time.

Sony won't catch me on that one again... I wait for NPD before I care about any US numbers from Sony.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
To put things in perspective, as Reuters points out, this amounts to two thirds as much of their whole sales in NA for the rest of the year.

Whatever you think of competitive comparisons with other systems, it is a big turnaround from how things looked even in August or September. I think they've at least primed things more nicely for 08 than one might have expected.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Is this another game of shipped equals sold? Or some bullocks like that?

Or should I just wait for the monthly NPD:lol

Bookey said:
Does anyone have any #'s of ps2 v xbox1 during their holiday seasons? I know ogxbox had some good holiday periods, right?
The first Xbox did 690k in December shortly after it's launch, and did 1 million every year after until 2004. Here's PS2's December numbers.
2001:1,947,234
2002:2,686,288
2003:1,937,458
2004:990,219
2005:1,500,000
2006:1,400,000

Thunder Monkey said:
Take a bigger chunk out of December then that.

Black Friday sees such an increase in sales that the majority of Novembers PS3 sales probably came from that week.

I guess you can call these sales good, but only if you think of the PS3 as the "3rd placer". The PS3 won't become the market leader, or even outpace the 360 if it can't come within 100,000 units of it.

So, in terms of a 3rd placer? Yeah, they're fine. But not to a market leader.

Yeah, you might be right in that the Black Friday week counted towards a bigger chunk than the 180k figure I used. Yeah, looking at these numbers from a "3rd placer," they're good, I think. But if Sony is to make up ground and narrow the lead between themselves and Microsoft and Nintendo, no, these numbers are not good at all.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
gofreak said:
To put things in perspective, as Reuters points out, this amounts to two thirds as much of their whole sales in NA for the rest of the year.

Whatever you think of competitive comparisons with other systems, it is a big turnaround from how things looked even in August or September. I think they've at least primed things more nicely for 08 than one might have expected.

Microsoft said last week it had sold 4.3 million Xbox 360 units in the last three months of the year.

lolwut?

Loudninja said:
Wow this topic turn to shit quick.
So... should those of us that don't view this as a win just leave the thread then?

This is a pretty civil thread. No ones being insulted or threatened. We are talking about sales numbers. Some view these in an optimistic light, others like me view them as another step in mediocrity for the PS3.

Tutomos

The original Xbox and Gamecube both had sold over 1 million for several Decembers in their peak years. I think it's safe to say PS3 hasn't hit its peak yet, not even colse.

Redd

Guy Legend said:
Same. I would venture to guess that the 80gb has a rather huge percentage of sales, although I'm not sure if it would be over half. Looking at Amazon for instance, the 80gb has always been ahead of the 40gb in sales. Retail musings here and a couple of other forums also support the notion that the 80gb is doing extremely well in the PS3 sales landscape.

Yeah I'm just very curious since everyone always says backwards compatibility isn't important to most people. If the 80 gig is outselling the 40 then it would show that MOST consumers love the idea that Sony came up with making their new consoles bc with their older models. They would have probably sold more if the 40 gb model had bc as well......but I don't know which model is selling more.

donny2112

Agent Icebeezy said:
My question is this just for the US or Canada and the US. North America covers both.

The article says "North America." I interpret that to be from Central America northwards.

Sony knows when they have a sale of a system, as they can track it internally. These aren't NPD-derived numbers, but rather internal Sony tracking numbers. That's why they can start the range on a Friday, when NPD only gets weekly reports from retailers with the week always ending on Saturday.

Firewire

Banned
Agent Icebeezy said:
My question is this just for the US or Canada and the US. North America covers both. When Stringer went public with the 100k sold in a week, they specifically pointed it that that was for the US only. That bit adds even more confusion to me. I'm trying to get a leg up in the predictions. :D

I wouldn't read to much into it. Listen Canada is at about 35 million people, consoles sales here are pretty low monthly, regardless of the platform, nothing earth shattering thats for sure. Don't expect adding Canadian numbers padded the performance, I'd say 95% of those numbers for sure maybe even more came from the states.

Acosta

I don´t see any "NPD" there, the period they are giving it´s quite clear.

Of course, it is their own PR and they try to put themselves in good light -and there has been some hilarious spin from Sony PR- but I don´t see the problem with this one. NPD will probably be 850k-900k if Sony is not blatantly lying.

Seems pretty fair, we will see.

FrankT

lockload said:
Rumours that im hearing (NPD Dec)

1.8m Wii
1.6m 360
0.8m PS3

Sounds not too far off. Not so distant third eh Pachter? Once again your faith has blinded you nearly every month of the year. Personally, I wouldn't put much more than 650-750k at most for the PS3 for the month.

I don't see what the problem is.

These aren't outrageous claims; they're respectable numbers for a period where these systems are expected to do exceedingly well. If they'd came out and claimed 2.5mil+, I'd be raising the bullshit flag with both hands.

donny2112

gofreak said:

The North American December is 2/3rds of the YTD for the United States. Just adding Canada+U.S. for the year gets us to 1.92 million. The article is using the U.S. total of 1.76 million.

Loudninja

Jtyettis said:
Sounds not too far off. Not so distant third eh Pachter? Once again your faith has blinded you nearly every month of the year. Personally, I wouldn't put much more than 650-750k at most for the PS3 for the month.

Wow....

Rolf NB

mood said:
If I was Sony, yes. Its good PR, albeit reusing a chunk of last months numbers.
It's effectively giving us more data. When we get the December NPDs, we can pretty accurately deduce the sales of black Friday, and then from there, together with the November NPDs, we can deduce the sales numbers for the first three weeks of November.

I greatly prefer this to a vague "We sold XYZ during the holiday sales period which we will not define for you durr hurr!".

Smokey

Very good numbers for the 'Playstation family'.

However when the December numbers hit I'm pretty sure the Playstation 3 will still be in 3rd behind the other two.

I think Sony should extend their two bundles. Those did wonders for the system.

Busty

Banned
Loudninja said:
Wow this topic turn to shit quick.

You are joking. I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did.

gofreak said:

Agreed. As I said earlier in the thread, it's strange to think now that Sony didn't launch the 40gig SKU until late October.

As late as early to mid September people were speculating, quite rightly, that Sony might actually have to go into the Xmas season with just the 80gig SKU at it's original price.

Sony need to use this to keep driving momentum and not let the PS3's sales in NA start to erode again to where it once was, behind it's competitors month on month. It's about staying competitive and Sony has managed to start turning things around despite no big 'kller app' and a larger entry price this Xmas.

Top Bottom