• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SCEA: 1.2m PS3s sold from Black Friday to Dec 31

Concept17 said:
Yes because the first year is all that really matter, right?
So, at what point is it fair to point out how poorly the system is doing and how that damns the platform going forward? First year or not, the system isn't in a vacuum. You guys and your endless amount of optimism and constantly adjusting standards...

Jenga

Banned
Looks like Sony is going into '08 with some momentum, and they REALLY needed it. '08 is going to be extremely important.

FIREBABY

OK. I thought Sony didn't release numbers prior to NPD. And notice how black friday was added in to push it over 1 million.

reilo said:
Second December also featured GT3, MGS2, FFX, GTA3 and a $299 price tag.

And this little game, I heard it did alright...

grand_theft_auto_3.jpg

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Sharp said:
Why are you doubting Sony's numbers? Do you really think they would have reported them if they weren't confident that they matched NPD's? We know from experience that when Sony doesn't want to reveal numbers it either hides them in percentages or simply doesn't talk about them. That they were willing to give actual figures suggests that they have little doubt in their correctness, and have no reason to distort them. Because, well, they don't.

I think that most people are concerned with the fact that they included Black Friday in this, instead of just the month of December.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
MightyHedgehog said:
So, at what point is it fair to point out how poorly the system is doing and how that damns the platform going forward?

That's the thing though, damn it to what? The platform isn't going to disappear into an abyss. It might not be #1 either, but I'd venture to say it's doing "OK". And "better than we might have thought a few months ago".

Your perception is of course going to depend on your point of reference. Relative to Wii or 360 in NA you could say it's poor, but relative to where many thought PS3 would be during the holidays not too long ago, it's pretty good. And it does look like it'll turn out better than many expectations looking at the NPD predictions thread, so can we say, "probably better than expected"?

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
beermonkey@tehbias said:
No hard drive, worse specs than the competition, and it was actually a somewhat expensive DVD player (United States only) versus the PS3 being a dirt-cheap Blu-Ray player.

That onus is on the consumer then for not buying the better value? But GAF has had this debate a million times before... it's not about the value, it's about the price. PS3 is still more expensive by $100 than the cheapest X360 last year.

HomerSimpson-Man said:
And this little game, I heard it did alright...

grand_theft_auto_3.jpg

Stealth edit, bitch! Read the quote again :)

Sharp

Agent Icebeezy said:
I think that most people are concerned with the fact that they included Black Friday in this, instead of just the month of December.
Right, but even when you consider that the numbers couldn't possibly be bad.

lockload

Cant really judge the results until we get Wii and 360 aswell.. ive got a feeling the ps3 will be outsold at least 2 to 1

reilo said:
That onus is on the consumer then for not buying the better value? But GAF has had this debate a million times before... it's not about the value, it's about the price. PS3 is still more expensive by $100 than the cheapest X360 last year.

Bah, GT3 would have worked fine anyway, it was the game that steam rolled PS2's massive hits long before the fall season.

knitoe

Agent Icebeezy said:

Not just Black Friday (Nov 23). Covers Nov. 23 - 30. Does anyone know how many PS3 sold that week? Probably, NO. Thus, once again, Sony giving vague numbers.

mood

reilo said:

The 360 core wasn't relevant last year. Only this year has the Arcade been a somewhat viable option for consumers.

Agent Icebeezy said:

Yea, it's not like Black Friday counts as holiday spending or anything. In another shocking twist, they didn't stop counting on the 25th which means Canadian Boxing Day was included as well.

Sharp said:
Right, but even when you consider that the numbers couldn't possibly be bad.

We don't know how to compare it. What if both the Wii and 360 similarly doubled their November numers and the PS3 was outsold by 500-600K by the 360?

fse

lockload said:
Cant really judge the results until we get Wii and 360 aswell.. ive got a feeling the ps3 will be outsold at least 2 to 1

that would suck for them

reilo

harSon said:
This is sold to consumer right? Please be sold to consumer :(

I'd assume so. They make a point to say "sold at retail." That is quite different than simply saying "console X sold this many units" which is usually double-speak for shipped aka sold to retailers.

vpance

During the week of Black Friday (Nov 18) it was reported that the 360 sold 310k outselling PS3 2 to 1. So if you assume PS3 did roughly the same the next week (Nov 25) of 150k, then Dec sales would be a little bit over 1 mil. Then add a few days more for Jan 1 - 5 and that should be the Dec NPD numbers.

Agent Icebeezy said:

Black Friday is technically the beginning of the holiday shopping season so wouldn't you want to include that?

reilo

allan-bh said:
In few hours Bill Gates will show what are strong sales of a console.

He's gonna talk about the Wii and PS2?

Kaako

Felium Defensor
The PS3 sold more than I expected; good for Sony.
Damn the PS2 is still selling strong and trucking along. And the PSP ain't selling that bad either. Congrats Sony. Now just make sure to market the living shit out of the PS3 in 2008 and gain some decent ground in this gen console market.
2008 sale numbers will be very very interesting by the end of this year.

Sharp

Nidain said:
Well depends what are the competition numbers no ?
Not really. 750k is such a lowball estimate that it'd be pretty much impossible for the PS3 to not have done better. We get more like 800k if we assume 20k a week before Black Friday, but that hasn't happened for a long time. So more than 800k sales are likely, and that is good. It won't be as good as the Wii, or the 360, or the PSP, or the PS2, and certainly not the DS, but it will be respectable and it's not the sort of sales you'd call poor.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
JMPovoa said:
At which day does the December NPD end?

I think Jan 5.

If the price cut was late Oct, it's probably reasonable to assume that sales were decent even before Black Friday in Nov, so I'm not sure how many of the ~500k sold in Nov we can assign to Black Friday onwards. Even if you take two thirds, say, it leaves circa 900k out of SCEA's figure + whatever (little) might have been sold in those first few days of Jan. Again, though, that would be assuming NPD and SCEA figures were in agreement, which might be a big assumption :) You can adjust the fraction to assign to Black Fri onward to taste, also ;)

Iksenpets

Banned
Impressive if true. I wasn't expecting the usual doubling from November to December since their November sales were inflated by the release of the 40 gig SKU.

harSon

Banned
Choke on the Magic said:
Black Friday is technically the beginning of the holiday shopping season so wouldn't you want to include that?

When December NPDs are 5 days away? Not really.

Dante

Sharp said:
Not really. 750k is such a lowball estimate that it'd be pretty much impossible for the PS3 to not have done better. We get more like 800k if we assume 20k a week before Black Friday, but that hasn't happened for a long time. So more than 800k sales are likely, and that is good. It won't be as good as the Wii, or the 360, or the PSP, or the PS2, and certainly not the DS, but it will be respectable and it's not the sort of sales you'd call poor.

BFT

Crisis

Banned
vpance said:
During the week of Black Friday (Nov 18) it was reported that the 360 sold 310k outselling PS3 2 to 1. So if you assume PS3 did roughly the same the next week (Nov 25) of 150k, then Dec sales would be a little bit over 1 mil. Then add a few days more for Jan 1 - 5 and that should be the Dec NPD numbers.

There's a few days of January included with this NPD? A million could definitely be possible then. I forgot about the 360 sales report for Black Friday week. If those numbers are accurate then the PS3 might've done better in December than this report would indicate.

Firewire

Banned
Choke on the Magic said:

Why do people expect Sony to leave a gap? The last sales report given by Sony was up to that Black Friday correct? Its only natural to give your next report from that date. If they skipped a week everyone would be like what are they trying to hide!

reilo

Kaako said:
The PS3 sold more than I expected; good for Sony.
Damn the PS2 is still selling strong and trucking along. And the PSP ain't selling that bad either. Congrats Sony. Now just make sure to market the living shit out of the PS3 in 2008 and gain some decent ground in this gen console market.
2008 sale numbers will be very very interesting by the end of this year.

Believe it or not, I've seen a UT3 PS3 ad the other day on ESPN. They are still advertising Uncharted and Ratchet [to a lesser extent] to this day. Hopefully they keep this up - no, hopefully they take it a step further.

Redd

Way higher than I expected. I'm surprised so good job, guess that means more people can buy uncharted.

Lightning

Banned
harSon said:
This is sold to consumer right? Please be sold to consumer :(
I was thinking that as well but I am not holding my breath. Sony screwed their fans last month by releasing freakin shipped numbers.

mood

Choke on the Magic said:

If I was Sony, yes. Its good PR, albeit reusing a chunk of last months numbers.

reilo said:
He's gonna talk about the Wii and PS2?
Wii and 360 for big time consoles. The PS2 is on it's way out methinks.

My prediction for the PS3 in December was 850,000 units. Looks like that may be right, and I don't consider that good at all for the PS3.

Top Bottom