• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SCEA: 1.2m PS3s sold from Black Friday to Dec 31

Crisis said:
They always do. Someone should post the "good sony news.gif".
Bah, this crap gets old quick.

Reality has a bias towards facts. Reality is putting the PS3 in a bad light. We're just the ones talking about this reality.

If you only want to hear the shiny PS3 news. Go to a Sonyfan forum.

donny2112

Tutomos said:
The original Xbox and Gamecube both had sold over 1 million for several Decembers in their peak years. I think it's safe to say PS3 hasn't hit its peak yet, not even colse.

Even the pessimistic totals for PS3 would blow past GameCube's second December. A 1 million PS3 December NPD almost catches it up with the GameCube (to the same # of months) as a result.

Crisis

Banned
Thunder Monkey said:
Bah, this crap gets old quick.

Reality has a bias towards facts. Reality is putting the PS3 in a bad light. We're just the ones talking about this reality.

If you only want to hear the shiny PS3 news. Go to a Sonyfan forum.

These numbers are not bad in any way, shape, or form. Troll moar.

bcn-ron said:
It's effectively giving us more data. When we get the December NPDs, we can pretty accurately deduce the sales of black Friday, and then from there, together with the November NPDs, we can deduce the sales numbers for the first three weeks of November.

I greatly prefer this to a vague "We sold XYZ during the holiday sales period which we will not define for you durr hurr!".
It'd be so much easier if they just gave weekly sales :/

farnham

Banned
did they say that they were No.1 this month.. or did they say that they beat the wii..?

if not it looks like its a good season overall this month (oh wait its december)

GameOver117 said:
Doesnt the 400$ PS3 still have a better feature set then the 400$ 360 last year.....

I don't really buy that. 40GB PS3 was 400$ unless you think PS2 BC really stopped alot of people from buying the 40GB PS3 and decided they didnt have the money to spend on the 80GB.

Buy every measure I've seen, the 80GB has been selling better than the 40GB version, just as the $399 360 sold better than the $299 last year. Well, not by the same percentage and I'm hearing the 40GB is now gaining some traction.

Crisis said:
These numbers are not bad in any way, shape, or form. Troll moar.
As I've said, for a third place console these numbers aren't bad.

For supposed market leader? Can anyone say they are good?

edit: Oh and hey! I use facts, you use insults. Whose trolling?

FrankT

NeoUltima said:
Regarding NPD predictions....These are North American numbers. So take off about 100k to account for Canada.

Indeed, the numbers will reveal themselves quite soon. Just as we got the standard PR after the release of the 40gig SKU this PR was expected.

deftangel

took a programming course
Didn't the 360 do 1.1m last Dec and that was considered to be good, maybe even a little great but not super great?

Under 1m at the same price point with the Playstation brand behind it strikes me as being less than stellar though obviously it's a good filip to the PS3 install base so in no way a bad thing. 2008 will be better still.

Crisis

Banned
Thunder Monkey said:

One of these things contradicts the other.

Link

The Autumn Wind
I think everyone should wait until January NPD before talking about "trends." The holidays are a completely different animal compared to the rest of the year.

Lightning said:
Yeah, I understand that 'screwed' is probably the wrong word but that was incredibly misleading for them to do that and it gave PS3 fans the wrong impression and ultimately making them look stupid come NPD time.

Sony won't catch me on that one again... I wait for NPD before I care about any US numbers from Sony.
Yes, I'm sure the reputation of forum members is high up on Sony's priority list.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
deftangel said:
Didn't the 360 do 1.1m last Dec and that was considered to be good, maybe even a little great but not super great?

Under 1m at the same price point with the Playstation brand behind it strikes me as being less than stellar though obviously it's a good filip to the PS3 install base so in no way a bad thing. 2008 will be better still.

It's not the same price point...

FIREBABY

donny2112 said:
Even the pessimistic totals for PS3 would blow past GameCube's second December. A 1 million PS3 December NPD almost catches it up with the GameCube (to the same # of months) as a result.
What major retail chains are not included when collecting NPD? And if Sony are giving internal numbers, wouldn't the figure they are giving be cut down somewhat? And as result not be as high as some people(including myself) are predicting it to be.

Busty

Banned
Thunder Monkey said:

3.9m combined PlayStation units sold -

1.3m PS2s

1.4m PSPs

I cannot believe the PSP sold 1.4m units over Xmas. I'm seriously impresssed.

Grecco said:
Yay Vauge Sony Numbers!

Why are people saying this? These are the most concrete numbers Sony has released in ages for the PS3.

I don't actually see a lot of disagreement in this thread, just people sniping at each other over positions that are actually compatible. Yes, the PS3 sold much less than either 360 or Wii will do, and didn't make much (if any) ground from a console war perspective. Yes, the PS3 sold better than anyone would have expected given its recent performance if they predicted a few months ago, and therefore put up surprisingly healthy numbers for the month. These things are BOTH true.

Crisis

Banned
BishopLamont said:
They're not bad because of how bad the PS3 has been doing, compared to it's competition it is bad.

I don't necessarily disagree with that. Let's not kid ourselves. PS3 isn't overtaking either of the other two consoles anytime soon. It needs to expand its userbase and sell software/Blu-ray. By all accounts it's doing exactly that. These numbers are average to good. Basically it needs to start generating money. Selling 2/3 of the rest of the year's total in this timeframe is great and shows marked signs of improvement.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
FIREBABY said:
What major retail chains are not included when collecting NPD? And if Sony are giving internal numbers, wouldn't the figure they are giving be cut down somewhat? And as result not be as high as some people(including myself) are predicting it to be.

They extrapolate the other stores into their formula.

Dragon

Banned
Thunder Monkey said:

Supposed market leader? Who supposes that the PS3 leads the market? What kind of terrible argument is this? They're in third place and this is a good month for them, if these numbers are true. How else can you view this?

Oh right, the PS3 is supposed to be number one because of the PS2 so the numbers should be higher. Great argument, no really.

Busty said:

1.3m PS2s

1.4m PSPs

I'm impressed for the PSP and PS2.

It's the PS3 I kind of look at and go "WTF!"

TheBranca18 said:
Supposed market leader? Who supposes that the PS3 leads the market? What kind of terrible argument is this? They're in third place and this is a good month for them, if these numbers are true. How else can you view this?
Before launch the PS3 was the unabashed ruler. It was going to play out no other way then:

PS3: $$$
360: :lol
Wii: :lol :lol :lol

Market analysts, gaming news media, even the vast majority of those at GAF. I typed in supposed for a reason.
Oh right, the PS3 is supposed to be number one because of the PS2 so the numbers should be higher. Great argument, no really.
Wasn't that the argument everyone in the media was using?

It's playing out differently then most expected. Coming from a last place standpoint, yes the PS3 is doing ok. Coming from the PS2 it is not.

Jag22

Banned
Why can't anyone ever be happy that all 3 console manufacturers are doing well? Which means the video game industry is extremely healthy. Which also means more games for us gamers.

If anything everyone should be happy. Just makes no sense.

donny2112

FIREBABY said:

NPD estimates for the entire market, so nothing is "missing," per se. They won't be as exact as Sony's internal figures, but they are usually very close.

Dragon

Banned
Thunder Monkey said:
Yep, totally great news...

...if the PS3 was the successor to the GCN, and not the PS2.

It's great news for the PS3. No need to compare it to the best selling console of all time, because obviously that's not in the cards for the PS3.

Crisis

Banned
Thunder Monkey said:

It's a fact that those two things contradict each other. Not to mention that it's a stupid argument. :lol

Threi

notag
Jag22 said:
Why can't anyone ever be happy that all 3 console manufacturers are doing well? Which means the video game industry is extremely healthy. Which also means more games for us gamers.

If anything everyone should be happy. Just makes no sense.

I have wondered this for a long time.

But this is NeoGAF, not the real world. Hopefully the industry stops paying attention to people like those on this forum.

Can someone tell Thunder Monkey to shut the fuck up already?

Trolling a system you like is kinda annoying eh? Hopefully some people will start doing it less.

indie85

Banned
Busty said:

1.3m PS2s

1.4m PSPs

Compared to previous months, I'd say these are pretty fucking stellar numbers. I dont know what people are smoking saying these suck. I guess bitter Xfanbois still reeling from the warner announcement :lol

reilo

krypt0nian said:
Can someone tell Thunder Monkey to shut the fuck up already?

Thunder Monkey said:
I'm impressed for the PSP and PS2.

It's the PS3 I kind of look at and go "WTF!"

Shut the fuck up!

Snah said:
Yup.

Not the same price point, more competition.

This is great news for the Playstation 3.

People keep saying that there's more competition but didn't 360 go up against the just released PS3 and Wii last year? But yet, 360 managed to sell in excess of 1 million units. I agree that it's definitely a step in the right direction for ps3, but I don't consider these excellent numbers, either. I think more telling for ps3 is how it performs after December.

Snah

Banned
Psychotext said:
You do realise that the PS3 and Wii were both around in December last year right?

PS3 was nowhere to be seen in November/December. I'm sure many people opted for a 360 instead.

Wii was still new, but not quite near the phenomenon it is today.

360 also has a very strong lineup relative to the PS3, so the fact that the PS3 is selling this well despite the often used "no games" argument is quite positive.

Next year, with a lower price point *AND* games that make the competition look weak in comparison, things are looking good. Now with Blu-Ray as the standard format, PS3 overall looks to be a much more compelling package.

It was pretty much a foregone conclusion that 2007 wasn't Sony's year, if only because they simply didn't have very many exclusive titles in place that would be any match to the collective 360 lineup.

Them selling 1.2 million in about a month is definitely good news.

reilo

TheDuce22 said:
I stopped reading here. Are you for real?

PS3 AND Wii were sold out November/December last year. That is a fact. January however...

Snah said:
PS3 was nowhere to be seen in November/December. I'm sure many people opted for a 360 instead.

PS3 could be readily found on store shelves in December, at least where I lived.

Wii was still new, but not quite near the phenomenon it is today.

Wii was a phenomenon right from the get go. There were incredible lines for this everywhere and demand was unprecedented from day 1.

Them selling 1.2 million in about a month is definitely good news.

Well, if you include Canada, sure, but NPD doesn't count Canada. When December NPD rolls out, we'll all see that ps3 did below 1 million.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Some numbers from SCEE would be nice. We've fairly good visibility on Japan, but I'm curious to see how the European ps3 market compares to NA since the price cut.

J-Rzez

Great numbers for the still highest priced machine on the market. Also that it's able to fight through the bad light it's been put in by the media is very impressive to say the least. And considered that it supposedly "doesn't have games" by some, it shows definetly not to count it out yet as 08 has a lot of "games" that are widely known, and big name titles.

I'm guessing come mid-08 and beyond is going to become more interesting than a lot of people expect, and hope against. Blu-Ray movies are going to instantly become more of draw this year than ever with the Warner bomb, and forbid any of the last 2 studios decide to get out of their camps and switch to Blu-Rays side. That alone adds much attractiveness, let alone all the heavy hitting titles that's going to hit the PS3 this year.

Amazing that the PS2 is still selling that good in it's very very old age which they're probably making a nintendo like killing with on the hardware, and the PSP sold much better than I thought as well. Glad to see Sony's getting some steam, and back into the fight. (granted i expect to see some spectacular 360 numbers as well, and the Wii's wont be as high as expected simply due to supply constraints)

Top Bottom