• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SCEA: 1.2m PS3s sold from Black Friday to Dec 31

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
Hmm I don't know about them Ps3 numbers I actually hope that they did good but at best they sold 500k. Probably the 360 did 1mill easy Wii well hehe nothing surprises me from that system.

Dragon

Banned
Thunder Monkey said:
Yep, that's totally true.

No really. It is.

It's not that the PS3 is performing in the mediocre range, with all those sales numbers to back me up.

It's a troll thing... definitely.

Well we can argue all day about how the PS3 is performing. You obviously have a different opinion than some others in the thread.

But as far as the troll thing, you admitted that you like when what you say annoys someone else. Isn't that one definition of a troll?

Ajax

Banned
Hitler Stole My Potato said:
It's Hans. OA Hans. Viral marketer Hans.
How did you get your PS3 again?

Hey douchebag will you ever stop accussing sony fans of viral marketing? It seems that Wollan wasn't enough for you now you found another one to insult.

Crisis

Banned
Thunder Monkey said:
How was I called out?

Because one guy thought I was a troll? I've been called many worse things then that. And the sad truth is I get an undeniable thrill out of pissing people off that piss me off.

Being told to shut up is number 1 in the monkey rule book. Unless dictated by a mod. Then I back off. Until I get told to shut the fuck up by an EviLore, or a sonycowboy I figure I'm in the clear. And it's not like I haven't said anything that isn't true now is it?

Hell, even sonycowboy is saying the same crap I've been spouting. Condensed into one post no less.

sonycowboy said that the numbers are about what was expected and that it shows clear signs of improvement. You are saying the opposite alongside such ridiculous things as the market-leading, third-place PS3.

Also: Shut the fuck up.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Elbrain said:
Hmm I don't know about them Ps3 numbers I actually hope that they did good but at best they sold 500k. Probably the 360 did 1mill easy Wii well hehe nothing surprises me from that system.

What the fuck. Seriously. I won't even be bothered to hit the damn shift key to add in a question mark.

Crisis said:
Rest assured that you are the vast exception.

...no, he isn't. The PS3 was not a hard-to-find item except for the first few weeks where scalpers thought they were going to profit off of it. There were plenty available after that first few weeks and that is common knowledge to anyone aware of the official sales of those first couple of months.

It's one thing to criticize people for underplaying these numbers but it's another thing entirely to fall off the deep end and act like this is the first of the holiday periods that the PS3 has been in.

FIREBABY

Snah said:
Wii also was very supply constrained, and the production of Wii units was much less than what we have this season, so to an extent the 360 most certainly did have less competition last year than the PS3 has this year.
please explain.
And, I'm not expecting December's NPD to be 1.2 million. It'll do well over 800k, and probably closer to 900k. I think those numbers are realistic.
fixed.;) I know I've accused you of being viral before, but this is the most I've agreed with you.

Dragon

Banned
CitizenCope said:
Wii-Pats
360-Colts
PS3-Jaguars

Let's settle down the Pats and Colts haven't played yet.
Eh, I'm in football mode.:D

Nope.

PS3 = Pats
360 = Colts
Wii = Cowboys (where WiiSports is Tony Romo) :)

Crisis

Banned
WickedAngel said:
...no, he isn't. The PS3 was not a hard-to-find item except for the first few weeks where scalpers thought they were going to profit off of it. There were plenty available after that first few weeks and that is common knowledge to anyone aware of the official sales of those first couple of months.

I tried to buy a PS3 a week before Christmas 2006 in Tallahassee Florida. I was not able to find a single model of it. Since I have done the research and have the personal experience to back it up, you are obviously wrong.

Ajax said:
Hey douchebag will you ever stop accussing sony fans of viral marketing? It seems that Wollan wasn't enough for you now you found another one to insult.

Please find me the post of mine where I accused Wollan (or anyone for that matter besides Hans here) of being a viral. I wait here 'til you find it.

*twiddles thumbs*

Dragon

Banned
reilo said:
What the fuck. Seriously. I won't even be bothered to hit the damn shift key to add in a question mark.

I think he was trying to make fun of the stereotype of some of the people coming into this thread.

reilo

WickedAngel said:

It's one thing to criticize people for underplaying these numbers but it's another thing entirely to fall off the deep end and act like this is the first of the holiday periods that the PS3 has been in.

And here is donny telling you that you are wrong:

The anecdotal reports from the period had the PS3 almost completely sold out in the month of December, and it was only toward the end of the month that stock started to be found on shelves for some. Best Buy (and probably other stores) had a big shipment the day after Dec-06 NPD ended, and it was then that the PS3 became pretty easy to find. That is why in the Jan-07 NPD, PS3 was still doing relatively well, and then it nosedived in February.

I'll take his word on this one.

Dragon

Banned
Please find me the post of mine where I accused Wollan (or anyone besides Hans here) of being a viral. I wait here 'til you find it.

*twiddles thumbs*

But but but you didn't disagree with the douchebag part?!! :lol

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Why don't we wait and have this pissing match when NPD numbers come out. We'll all be on more solid ground then.

donny2112 said:
But the PS2 did better the following year.

You'd have to see the NPD's related to GTA 3 to truly appreciate this game's performance. I doubt there's ever been a game in the US that sold that high that long. It sold over 300k per month for 6 months and over 100k / month for a year. It wasn't an immediate seller back then like it and Halo are now.

Firewire

Banned
WickedAngel said:

Like I said in my area you couldn't get a PS3 till the 1st or 2nd week of January after the launch units sold out day 1! Thats more than a few weeks, I understand my area might be different from others, but from what I gathered back then it seemed to be the norm.

Threi

notag
At launch I was in a store that had PS3s widely available. I then proceeded to another store that was sold out of PS3s. Therefore based on my anecdotal experience every single one of you arguing about PS3 availability has been negated by me. Your opinions and experiences are now rendered useless.

sonycowboy said:
You'd have to see the NPD's related to GTA 3 to truly appreciate this game's performance. I doubt there's ever been a game in the US that sold that high that long. It sold over 300k per month for 6 months and over 100k / month for a year. It wasn't an immediate seller back then like it and Halo are now.
HA! See...now you shut up (donny & Link)!
(I feel so smart :lol )

reilo said:
And here is donny telling you that you are wrong:

I'll take his word on this one.

I'm sure you will, considering your obvious attachment to the brand. The contradiction of the arguments proposed by you loyalists is rather amusing; on one hand, you defend the sales of this holiday period and proclaim that this is the first "real" holidy period it has been through and then defend the fact that it was sparse through February (Last year). I wondered which one of you would take the bait and stamp the contradiction first.

If was selling well last year (As suggested since it was "sold out everywhere"), why would this be the time to start counting?

Link

The Autumn Wind
sonycowboy said:
What about the first Halo? Smash Bros. Melee?

Dragon

Banned
CitizenCope said:
I can explain why I said Wii=Pats as the Wii is breaking sales records left and right.
Your saying PS3=Pats because why?:D

Because I like the Pats and the PS3 of course!!

Plus the Pats are powerful like the PS3, instead of the all encompassing Cell processor they have Tom "I've banged two Hollywood celebs and got them both pregnant" Brady!

Crisis said:
sonycowboy said that the numbers are about what was expected and that it shows clear signs of improvement. You are saying the opposite alongside such ridiculous things as the market-leading, third-place PS3.

Also: Shut the fuck up.
Bah, if that's the way you read my posts then a pox on you.

My argument can be summed in a few ways.

1. Coming off the market leading PS2, with all the early momentum in the world (until $599 was uttered) to see the PS3 perform on par with the GCN is a travesty for the brand.

2. That 850,000 units (or anywhere near that region) in a December is bad for a would be "market leader".

3. The PS3 has never, and likely will never be the market leader or anything close because of this continued under performance.

I was a PS2 fan last gen. Seeing all the missteps taken, and the lost chances for it, leads me to say it couldn't be much worse if Sony tried to fuck up. And that number for the market leading brand comes off much worse.

I'm with Branca, I see these in a different light then others, but given what I just said, can you really disagree with my stance? And lowering yourselves to throwing out "troll" does nothing but a disservice to you.

You can make an argument to battle mine, but insults aren't the way to play the game.

Dragon

Banned
Thunder Monkey said:

1. Coming off the market leading PS2, with all the early momentum in the world (until $599 was uttered) to see the PS3 perform on par with the GCN is a travesty for the brand.

2. That 850,000 units (or anywhere near that region) in a December is bad for a would be "market leader".

3. The PS3 has never, and likely will never be the market leader or anything close because of this continued under performance.

I was a PS2 fan last gen. Seeing all the missteps taken, and the lost chances for it, leads me to say it couldn't be much worse if Sony tried to fuck up. And that number for the market leading brand comes off much worse.

I'm with Branca, I see these in a different light then others, but given what I just said, can you really disagree with my stance? And lowering yourselves to throwing out "troll" does nothing but a disservice to you.

You can make an argument to battle mine, but insults aren't the way to play the game.
I have an issue with two and the use of the quotation marks, but not an issue with your other points.

donny2112

sonycowboy said:
I doubt there's ever been a game in the US that sold that high that long.

Wii Play probably will. :lol

You're correct in that GTA3 wasn't an instant mega-hit like Halo 2/3, so it probably did affect the following months. However if you look at Oct-01 - Sep-02 and compare it to Oct-02 - Sep-03, PS2 still went up even after a year's worth of GTA3 sales. GTA:VC might've helped a bit, though, and we won't be seeing an Halo 3: <subtitle> next fall unless Microsoft suddenly got real good about keeping secrets.

Crisis

Banned
Thunder Monkey said:

I've already played the little "make an argument" game with you. You're an admitted troll and an idiot to boot. Any argument that I make automatically falls on deaf ears with you. So shut the fuck up.

Ajax

Banned
Please find me the post of mine where I accused Wollan (or anyone for that matter besides Hans here) of being a viral. I wait here 'til you find it.

*twiddles thumbs*

You're not saying it straight to his face but you imply it in your usual obnoxious jokes here and there.

Rolf NB

charlequin said:
Why are people saying this? These are the most concrete numbers Sony has released in ages for the PS3.

I don't actually see a lot of disagreement in this thread, just people sniping at each other over positions that are actually compatible. Yes, the PS3 sold much less than either 360 or Wii will do, and didn't make much (if any) ground from a console war perspective. Yes, the PS3 sold better than anyone would have expected given its recent performance if they predicted a few months ago, and therefore put up surprisingly healthy numbers for the month. These things are BOTH true.
It is possible to gain share without ever outselling a competitor. E.g. if you launch a year late and sell half the amount of your competitor, your market share will grow steadily from 0% to 33%. Baffling for a minute, but if you think about it for a couple of seconds, it should become clear.

The PS3 does more than that now, so yes, I would say it gained ground. Its slice of the HD console installed base has grown, and still is growing, which follows from its gains in monthly share.

Numbers shmumbers:

August: 131K PS3, 277K XBox 360; PS3=0.47*XBox 360
September: 119K PS3, 528K XBox 360; PS3=0.225*XBox 360
October: 121K PS3, 366K XBox 360; PS3=0.33*XBox 360
November: 466K PS3, 770K XBox 360; PS3=0.605*XBox 360
December: ??? Profitz?

The real fun would be sales parity, and then a position swap of course. Not saying that's definitely going to happen anytime soon, but if it were to happen, we would first need to be seeing what we actually are seeing: monthly marketshare growth.

December NPDs are going to be mad fun.

donny2112 said:
Wii Play probably will. :lol

You're correct in that GTA3 wasn't an instant mega-hit like Halo 2/3, so it probably did affect the following months. However if you look at Oct-01 - Sep-02 and compare it to Oct-02 - Sep-03, PS2 still went up even after a year's worth of GTA3 sales. GTA:VC might've helped a bit, though, and we won't be seeing an Halo 3: <subtitle> next fall unless Microsoft suddenly got real good about keeping secrets.

True ;)

I think a $199 holiday vs $299 was the largest reason for the phenomenal holiday.

reilo

WickedAngel said:
I'm sure you will, considering your obvious attachment to the brand. The contradiction of the arguments proposed by you loyalists is rather amusing; on one hand, you defend the sales of this holiday period and proclaim that this is the first "real" holidy period it has been through and then defend the fact that it was sparse through February (Last year). I wondered which one of you would take the bait and stamp the contradiction first.

What are you even talking about?

First off, the only thing I was arguing with you is the fact that the PS3 was sold out and unavailable in November and December of 06. Donny backs me up on that statement, and hell, if anyone is versed in console hardware sales and availability, it's him.

Second of all, the only thing I am arguing with others is the fact that the PS3 selling near 2/3rd in 5 weeks what it sold the entire rest of the year is impressive. It's unprecedented. Will it still track behind X360 and Wii? Yes, but to negate these sales especially after quite a few people were lowballing the living shit [read, under 500K units in the predictions thread] is you showing your agenda against the PS3.

What exactly am I contradicting myself on? Selling out does not mean selling well if the supply is not there. The PS3 was supply constrained AND sold out last holiday. Is that so hard for you to understand? Do I need to draw some charts for you?

But hey, I could just as easily go out on a limb here and call you a troll, but what purpose does it add to the argument? But hey, it's easier to trounce ad hominem attacks at me than to actual, you know, debate my fucking points.

Link

The Autumn Wind
sonycowboy said:
no and no
Sorry, I worded my post pretty poorly. Obviously neither of them sold as well. That much is clear just looking at LTD's. I was asking what their performances over a similar period was, since they are both titles known for longevity in sales.

Firewire

Banned
Crisis said:
I've already played the little "make an argument" game with you. You're an admitted troll and an idiot to boot. Any argument that I make automatically falls on deaf ears with you. So shut the fuck up.

I fully endorse this post! :lol

FIREBABY

CitizenCope said:
I can explain why I said Wii=Pats as the Wii is breaking sales records left and right.
Your saying PS3=Pats because why?:D
because they won the most superbowls obviously.

Firewire

Banned

*twiddles thumbs*

Didn't you accuse him of being the Surfer Girl? :lol

Link

The Autumn Wind
Crisis said:
Calm down, dude.

Crisis said:
Your argument was "You're wrong troll, so shut the fuck up."

That seems to be the gist of it.

And self-admitted? I'm not Ani level sarcasm man, but that post was in jest.

Dragon

Banned
FIREBABY said:
because they won the most superbowls obviously.

Uh no, they haven't. The Pats have won three superbowls. Several teams have won more, teams such as the 49ers and Steelers.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I thought these threads would be mostly over by now but it seems like there are 5 a week lately. Are we really going to be doing this NEXT year as well?

Firewire

Banned
I'd really like to know how the Vii did sales wise in China? Also would the Vii = 49er's? :lol

I'm out this thread is just to wacky!

TheBranca18 said:
Uh no, they haven't. The Pats have won three superbowls. Several teams have won more, teams such as the 49ers and Steelers.

You forgot the COWBOYS!!

They've been to 8 superbowls and at one point in the 90's they had been to 50% of the NFC title games ever played and over 25% of the superbowls.

Top Bottom