• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SCEA: 1.2m PS3s sold from Black Friday to Dec 31

FIREBABY

donny2112 said:
NPD estimates for the entire market, so nothing is "missing," per se. They won't be as exact as Sony's internal figures, but they are usually very close.
Thanks. I wasn't sure and don't want to be accused of "trolling". I just hate the way these PR statements from either company always leave a lot of questions to be asked.

Firewire

Banned
Crisis said:
In November/December 2006 there were practically no PS3s or Wiis on the market. He's correct.

Exactly, were I am on launch day they sold everything, and it wasn't much considering the low number every store got. The stores in my area didn't get additional stock till the 1st or 2nd week of January.

Dragon

Banned
FIREBABY said:
Thanks. I wasn't sure and don't want to be accused of "trolling". I just hate the way these PR statements from either company always leave a lot of questions to be asked.

This was much better than previous statements, as it's absolute numbers for a time period. Compared to percentages and other crap from previous statements.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
TheBranca18 said:
Didn't you know? Personal experience > actual facts.

Don't worry, there is a fresh stack of PS3s at some Best Buy in some vague suburb somewhere, which surely means the PS3 couldn't do anywhere near 1mil for December. It has to be less than 500K.

JCBossman

Banned
I think it's fair to say the PS3 hasn't come close to it's peak...unfortunately for the PS3 the same could be said for Wii/360

reilo said:
Don't worry, there is a fresh stack of PS3s at some Best Buy in some vague suburb somewhere, which surely means the PS3 couldn't do anywhere near 1mil for December. It has to be less than 500K.
I put it at 850,000.

You must really hate Sony to think it's that low.

TheBranca18 said:
Hey Pachter, how's it hanging?
Anything to piss you off sweety.

*kisses*

Thunder Monkey said:
I put it at 850,000.

You must really hate Sony to think it's that low.

1.2 million including black friday all the way to dec 31st really isn't a lot of consoles sold.

I'll be impressed if the ps3's number hits 800k, but I'm expecting more along the lines of 700k at best.

donny2112

Thunder Monkey said:
Not really...

The anecdotal reports from the period had the PS3 almost completely sold out in the month of December, and it was only toward the end of the month that stock started to be found on shelves for some. Best Buy (and probably other stores) had a big shipment the day after Dec-06 NPD ended, and it was then that the PS3 became pretty easy to find. That is why in the Jan-07 NPD, PS3 was still doing relatively well, and then it nosedived in February.

Snah

Banned
nextgeneration said:
PS3 could be readily found on store shelves in December, at least where I lived.

Wii was a phenomenon right from the get go. There were incredible lines for this everywhere and demand was unprecedented from day 1.

Well, if you include Canada, sure, but NPD doesn't count Canada. When December NPD rolls out, we'll all see that ps3 did below 1 million.

PS3 was virtually impossible to be found in November/December. You may be the exception, but it's well known that PS3s didn't start stacking up in stores until January.

Wii also was very supply constrained, and the production of Wii units was much less than what we have this season, so to an extent the 360 most certainly did have less competition last year than the PS3 has this year.

And, I'm not expecting December's NPD to be 1.2 million. It'll do well over 800k, and probably closer to 900k. I think those numbers are respectable.

donny2112 said:
The anecdotal reports from the period had the PS3 almost completely sold out in the month of December, and it was only toward the end of the month that stock started to be found on shelves for some. Best Buy (and probably other stores) had a big shipment the day after Dec-06 NPD ended, and it was then that the PS3 became pretty easy to find. That is why in the Jan-07 NPD, PS3 was still doing relatively well, and then it nosedived in February.
Oh, I know donny.

Just trying to piss off those that told me to shut up.

My family can't even get me to do that.

reilo

Dragon

Banned
Thunder Monkey said:
Am I any of those guys?

Nope. Just because someone accuses me of trolling, doesn't make me a troll. And just because others think these are great numbers for the PS3, doesn't make it so.

True enough. You can think what you want. That's the great thing about forums, and humans in general, we all have our opinions, some are shit, and we can express them whenever we want! But before you were having a temper tantrum so some would interpret that as trollish. I had to grimace when I read a couple of your posts, just sayin'

Thunder Monkey said:
Oh, I know donny.

Just trying to piss off those that told me to shut up.

My family can't even get me to do that.

Why would you denying the obvious truth piss anyone off? More likely you just got called out and had to think of something to cover your ass with. "LOL my family can't get me to shut up."

You're either trolling or fucking stupid.

Crisis

Banned
Thunder Monkey said:
Not really...

TheDuce22 said:

george-bush-sour.jpg

George Bush wants you two to stop rewriting history.

IMO, those that are thinking these are great numbers, they aren't. Not bad, but certainly nowhere near great.

1.2M for Nov 23rd - Dec 31st.

8-9% to Canada = ~1.1M units

9 of those days were in November's NPD, which were 466k. Out of 28 days, 9 were taken, and it's safe to assume they accounted for ~50% if not greater, subtract out ~250-275k.

That leaves you with ~850k + 5 days of January (let's say 80-90k) = ~930k

Assuming we can believe Sony's PR, which is notoriously different from NPD reality.

So, while they aren't great, they are world's better than the PS3's performance to date, and thus show a substantial improvement, which is good given that they were unable to generate any software that was compelling to the overall market.

Loudninja

Grampasso said:
uhm... sold = shipped?
read
Sony Computer Entertainment America (SCEA) today announced PlayStation(R) hardware retail sales

IMO, those that are thinking these are great numbers, they aren't. Not bad, but certainly nowhere near great.

9 of those days were in November's NPD, which were 466k. Out of 28 days, 9 were taken, and it's safe to assume they accounted for ~50% if not greater, subtract out ~250-275k.

Assuming we can believe Sony's PR, which is notoriously different from NPD reality.

So, while they aren't great, they are world's better than the PS3's performance to date, and thus show a substantial improvement, which is good given that they were unable to generate any software that was compelling to the overall market

Thats what most people are saying.

donny2112

Grampasso said:
uhm... sold = shipped?

Not here. These are "retail sales" and not "sales to retailers." If you read enough of these PRs, you start to get a feel for which they're talking about. :lol

sonycowboy said:

So, while they aren't great, they are world's better than the PS3's performance to date, and thus show a substantial improvement, which is good given that they were unable to generate any software that was compelling to the overall market.

Agreed 100% and your analysis mirrors mine.

reilo

sonycowboy said:

Is anybody saying anything beyond that? Selling 2/3rd of what they sold the entire rest of the year in about 5 weeks is a substantial turn around.

krypt0nian said:
Why would you denying the obvious truth piss anyone off? More likely you just got called out and had to think of something to cover your ass with. "LOL my family can't get me to shut up."
How was I called out?

Because one guy thought I was a troll? I've been called many worse things then that. And the sad truth is I get an undeniable thrill out of pissing people off that piss me off.

Being told to shut up is number 1 in the monkey rule book. Unless dictated by a mod. Then I back off. Until I get told to shut the fuck up by an EviLore, or a sonycowboy I figure I'm in the clear. And it's not like I haven't said anything that isn't true now is it?

Hell, even sonycowboy is saying the same crap I've been spouting. Condensed into one post no less.

Snah

Banned
Ashhong said:
Why the hell are you just posting the damn rules page? If you have something to say just say it. I can't follow you two's ridiculous argument when you link to a random page. :lol

Insinuating someone's a viral is a bannable offense. I should know, I've been banned for it.

I'm just trying to help him out.

JCBossman said:
I think it's fair to say the PS3 hasn't come close to it's peak...unfortunately for the PS3 the same could be said for Wii/360

Halo 3 - September 25, 2007

Like the GTA3 year for the ps2. It won't get any better than this.

Thunder Monkey said:
How was I called out?

Because one guy thought I was a troll? I've been called many worse things then that. And the sad truth is I get an undeniable thrill out of pissing people off that piss me off.

Being told to shut up is number 1 in the monkey rule book. Unless dictated by a mod. Then I back off. Until I get told to shut the fuck up by an EviLore, or a sonycowboy I figure I'm in the clear. And it's not like I haven't said anything that isn't true now is it?

You are not pissing anyone off. You're a sad troll. That's all.

CowboyAstronaut said:
1.2 million including black friday all the way to dec 31st really isn't a lot of consoles sold.

I'll be impressed if the ps3's number hits 800k, but I'm expecting more along the lines of 700k at best.

so you predict 540k for the PS3, its reported to be 1.2 since black friday which is much higher than you thought. But that's not really impressive to you (even though vastly more than your expectation) and now you think its 700k?

why do i get the feeling the people that say the numbers suck or or not impressed also are the same people that predicted it to do a lot worse?

I think the console is having a good rebound and has proven its a console that probably will always be 3rd but its going to hang around and at least be a viable console for Sony. And they did this w/o the "megahit" spotlight game. That's a nice turn around when you see how things were looking during the summer. They took the sacrifice to have Blu-Ray suceed (which worked) and now the console sales are starting to pick up.

Dragon

Banned
gketter said:
so you predict 540k for the PS3, its reported to be 1.2 since black friday which is much higher than you thought. But that's not really impressive to you (even though vastly more than your expectation) and now you think its 700k?

why do i get the feeling the people that say the numbers suck or or not impressed also are the same people that predicted it to do a lot worse?

I think the console is having a good rebound and has proven its a console that probably will always be 3rd but its going to hang around and at least be a viable console for Sony. And they did this w/o the "megahit" spotlight game. That's a nice turn around when you see how things were looking during the summer. They took the sacrifice to have Blu-Ray suceed (which worked) and now the console sales are starting to pick up.

I'm going to say false.

krypt0nian said:
You are not pissing anyone off. You're a sad troll. That's all.
Yep, that's totally true.

No really. It is.

It's not that the PS3 is performing in the mediocre range, with all those sales numbers to back me up.

It's a troll thing... definitely.

Top Bottom