• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scientists say dogs over cats

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shawsie64

Banned
Its official

http://www.news.com.au/world/new-sc...better-than-cats/story-e6frfkyi-1225809115169

IT'S a claim that's sure to put the cat among the pigeons.

A STUDY into character, intelligence and usefulness shows dogs are better pets than cats - but only by a whisker.

In the "great pet showdown" experts compared 11 traits from brain size to environmental impact by looking at research published in scientific journals.

Dogs came out on top in six categories to cats' five, the Daily Mail reports.

Staff at New Scientist magazine first listed the areas where cats fared best. These included having bigger brains in proportion to their body size.

Cats' brains also contain more cells, with about 1.4 million more devoted to complex functions such as memory and attention than dogs' brains. The cats' second point was awarded for being more popular, with 204 million living in the top 10 cat-owning nations compared to 173 million dogs in the 10 countries where canines were most in vogue.

Felines also get more attention from humans, with blissed-out purrs actually disguising a call to be noticed that their owners find irresistible.

Although dogs can vary the length, range, pitch and frequency of their barks, they cannot compete with the attention-seeking of cats.

It was a similar story when it came to senses. Cats can see in lower light than dogs and have a far wider hearing range and a keener sense of smell.

They are said to be "greener" pets because their smaller appetites equate to a smaller ecological footprint - the area of land required to farm their food.

Even a small dog such as a chihuahua has a bigger annual footprint than the average cat.

But in the other six categories examined - many of which related to how the animals interact with humans - dogs had the edge.

Dogs have a longer shared history with humans, and may have been domesticated as long as 135,000 years ago. Cats are relative newcomers to our homes.

Similarly, dogs have a greater ability to bond with their masters. Even four-month-old puppies choose a human companion over another dog, research has shown.

Dogs scored a third point for their superior powers of understanding.

One study found that a border collie called Rico had mastered the meaning of more than 200 words.

Dogs can also follow human gestures, such as an outstretched finger or a nod of the head to find food.

While this may not seem impressive, chimps struggle to do it.

The ability to perform roles such as being a guide dog for the blind meant dogs were rated better than cats when it came to their problem-solving abilities.

And they are also said to be easier to train.

With the scores tied at five-all, the deciding point was awarded for usefulness - with dogs coming out on top.

Dogs, studies show, help cut human stress, while taking them for walks keeps their owners fit and helps them meet new people. New Scientist says: "Dogs can hunt, herd and guard."

"They can sniff out drugs and bombs; they guide blind and deaf people, race for sport, pull sledges, find someone buried by an avalanche, help children learn and possibly even predict earthquakes."

And in a conclusion bound to set tongues wagging, it adds: "Cats are good if you have an infestation of rodents."

116067-dingo-puppies.jpg

"Even these six-week-old alpine dingo pups are smarter than cats."

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
It's alright science, we already knew.

MIMIC

Banned
Dogs can also follow human gestures, such as an outstretched finger or a nod of the head to find food.

What does this mean? Follow as in understand, or follow as mimic, or follow as in...following a long with their eyes (even though that seems like a useless thing to score).

JDSN

Banned
Cat are more awesome than dogs cos they are rebelious, refused to do the test and I see in them all the streghts I dont have!

DR2K

Banned
That's cool. Since I'm neither a cop, blind, in need of affection or under an avalanche I'll stick with cats.

DR2K said:
That's cool. Since I'm neither a cop, blind, in need of affection or under an avalanche I'll stick with cats.
So basically you just want something that will lay around and eat your food. Can I stay with you for a while?

DR2K said:
Same here.

BobFromPikeCreek said:
So basically you just want something that will lay around and eat your food. Can I stay with you for a while?

Not enough brain cells, sorry.

Shawsie64

Banned
BobFromPikeCreek said:

This is what iv never understood about cat owners.. I mean whats the point of having one of these moochers around? with dogs you get affection and loyalty at least.. Only thing cats do in my neighborhood is kill native birds. Though in saying that iv never had a cat as a pet myself so I could be just generalizing

UFRA

Shawsie64 said:
This is what iv never understood about cat owners.. I mean whats the point of having one of these moochers around? with dogs you get affection and loyalty at least.. Though in saying that iv never had a cat as a pet myself so I could be just generalizing

You are generalizing.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Dogs have a longer shared history with humans, and may have been domesticated as long as 135,000 years ago. Cats are relative newcomers to our homes.

That figure, along with the point as a whole, is BS. The only number we are completely sure about, when it comes to the origins of the domestication of dogs, is 7000 BC, which is still before cats but not 130k years ago.

So as far as I'm concerned, it's a tie.

Xeke

Banned
MIMIC said:
What does this mean? Follow as in understand, or follow as mimic, or follow as in...following a long with their eyes (even though that seems like a useless thing to score).

It means they can see those signals and know what they hell they mean. They know an outstretched finger means they're pointing at something, a cat would just go for your finger and they can understand that a nod means go and will wait patiently until they get it before taking action.

Shawsie64

Banned
Good as any excuse to post cute dogs

dog-cute-baby.jpg

cute-dog-cat739681.jpg

In this pic dog sleeps while pondering the universe.. cat finds fluffy ear to play with.

NotWii

Banned
Cimarron said:
I would like to contest the 3rd point the dogs got.

Cats understand. However they just don't give a damn.
Damn right, a lot of the points can be contested.

The 'research' is biased, the results COMPROMISED.

MIMIC said:

Havent you ever thrown food at a dog, he missed it, and looked back at you, and then you nodded your head in the direction of the treat and he found it?

NotWii

Banned
* Herald Sun
* December 10, 2009 3:46PM
* 59 comments

Even these six-week-old alpine dingo pups are smarter than cats. Picture: Ella Pellegrini

* Study proves what we've always suspected
* Dogs are better than cats
* Take that, stupid cats
Herald Sun just made itself an enemy >:3

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I have a cat and I agree with this post. Cat smarts are purely anthropomorphized. "Cat is laying around, so it is taking advantage of my Jon-like slavish stupidity."

No. Cat is lazy and dumb.

Sibylus

Banned
Start the presses with a real study/peer reviewed paper, not a quick study conducted by a magazine. Most of the points are very contestable (especially usefulness, things would no doubt be different if we domesticated cats earlier).

way more

These tests are culturally biased towards canines.

Sarcasm and not. I was referring to how IQ tests are even disputed to be accurate among even human species. That we could some how determine an animal better is laughable.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Cats are waaaaaaaay better than dogs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom