• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scientists say dogs over cats

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mar

Bootaaay said:
So what you're saying, New Scientist, is that dogs are willing to become de facto slaves out of some misplaced need for affection from their owner, whereas cats don't give a shit and still get the same affection that dogs crave? Now who's the smart one ;)

See that argument just doesn't work. It's like 5 year olds arguing and in the end the wrong one going "but I don't care so I win anyway!".

Let's say the cat really doesn't care to help and so it just lies around acting all smug. The fact is it's still not doing anything for you so you lose either way.

Dogs don't do these things because of some 'misplaced need for affection', because they like to be slaves, or because they are dumb. They do it because they are pack animals and it is one of their very basic instincts. They do this because this is how the species survives. They work in teams, they help each other out. Humans to a dog are just part of the pack, part of the team.

So dogs are pack animals and cats are solo hunters. Neither you can really say is better than the other. They are both just methods used to stay alive. But you can say one of the methods benefits more than just the individual.

Max@GC

Sinatar said:
32zlwro.jpg

Well played good sir.^^ Anyways...I like cats a lot more because you really have to earn their trust - like a good friend. It´s just a lot more rewarding when a cat likes you. edit: plus I have a lot less work with my cat than I would have with a dog. Cats mainly care for themselves - I like independent beings.

slider

When I was younger someone told that men and women are very much alike. They have the same motivations/needs/desires but women (apparently) had the "volume" turned down ever so slighty on these drivers.

Well now that I have a dog and cat I think the same is true of these pets. Cats = women; dogs = men.

Guess I'm really basing this on their need for affection...

Someone shoot this theory down.

Max@GC said:
ItAintEasyBeinCheesy said:
Yeah and apparently

Single man with cat = weird

Single man with dog = normal
But why is that so? I never understood that stupid stereotype.

It's because you can do manly things with your dog, like hiking, camping, hunting, or just riding around in your pickup. ;)

Also...

road_warrior_web.jpg

i_am_legend_will_smith__1_.jpg

...you never see any movie heroes roaming a post-apocalyptic wasteland with a cat.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Pandaman said:
if you're going to correct someone, try to be right.

domesticated dog species descendant out of asia existed in north America prior to European arrival, this alone would push the domestication of dog species back to +14,000 years. the cited 130k figure is most likely an average out between archeological evidence of interaction between human and wolf species and the predicted speciation event between dogs and wolves.

Right back at ya.

The earliest you could even argue for a dog being domesticated is 31000 BC considering that's basically when the dog first came to be

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27240370/

Interaction with wolves = domestication? I certainly hope a "scientist" isn't reaching as far as you are with that sentence. And last I checked we were talking about dogs specifically, not all canidae in general, unless you want to include human interaction with all felidae into the equation as well.

But like I said, giving a point to dogs for being domesticated earlier is just stupid. It's like they couldn't find another factual superiority about dogs themselves over cats, so they added this to give dogs the edge on top of their subjective points like "bonding".

Cheech

I like both, but cats are absolutely useless as pets. The only ones I've ever had have been strays, because they're not a pet worth seeking out.

Dogs, OTOH, I look for a dog like I'm choosing a new best friend.

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
So this survey proved that cats are more popular than dogs, as well as being more intelligent. Well thank you survey.

Catz>Dogz

butts

Dogs were already better because they didn't have any incredibly shitty lolcats bullshit associated with them.

Monocle

Dogs don't purr. You lose this round, science.
Admittedly, dogs are kickass pets.

Edit:
xxjuicesxx said:
Dogs are way fucking better.

Cats are so stupid and useless, they are like women without tits and blowjob holes basically.
Wow.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
GSG Flash said:
Right back at ya.

The earliest you could even argue for a dog being domesticated is 31000 BC considering that's basically when the dog first came to be

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27240370/
this is beyond absurd, you're purposely ignoring molecular evidence for the diversification of canidea lupus from canidea familiaris.
http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/abstract/276/5319/1687

Your example even overshoots the MRCA for modern domesticated dogs, so you don't even have grounds to argue against domestication predating that specific ancestor.

Interaction with wolves = domestication? I certainly hope a "scientist" isn't reaching as far as you are with that sentence.
a scientist wouldn't equate the earliest known fossil with the 'beginning' of a subspecies.

And last I checked we were talking about dogs specifically, not all canidae in general, unless you want to include human interaction with all felidae into the equation as well.
ahem. 'evidence for the diversification of canidea lupus from canidea l. familiaris.'

J-Rod

I love both, but dogs are better. Dogs stand on their own as being the best pets. Cats measure of worth is based on comparisons to dogs.

GSG Flash

Pandaman said:
this is beyond absurd, you're purposely ignoring molecular evidence for the diversification of canidea lupus from canidea familiaris.
http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/abstract/276/5319/1687

Uhhh, who cares? Yes I am purposely ignoring that since I'm specifically looking at the origins of the dog as we know it today, considering that's what New Scientist is comparing to cats, not its distant cousin. And hell, I even provided you a link. So you'll have to explain to me how an animal could be domesticated before it even existed.

Your example even overshoots the MRCA for modern domesticated dogs, so you don't even have grounds to argue against domestication predating that specific ancestor.

What the hell are you talking about? :lol
Who cares about the most recent common ancestor? Why are you trying to drag in canidae other than dogs when they have nothing to do with the study(if you could call it that) in the first place? Is it just to prove your point? (which you're doing a poor job of)

a scientist wouldn't equate the earliest known fossil with the 'beginning' of a subspecies.

That's fair, however the fact remains that the earliest known fossil is the only concrete evidence we have of the origin of dogs and it gives us a pretty good idea about when the dog originated, anything else is just made up.

jaypah

cats can be quite awesome but i prefer dogs. they're just more compatible with me personally because we actually get to go and do shit together. it's probably a pain in the ass trying to have a nice Saturday afternoon in the French Quarter with a cat. but dogs....

DSCI1540.jpg

DSCI1322-1.jpg

PLUS our dogs are Saints fans!!!

jazzy1-1.jpg

jazzy2-1.jpg

ShinAmano

Lucky Forward said:
...you never see any movie heroes roaming a post-apocalyptic wasteland with a cat.
Should have been part of the study.

I like both...prefer Dogs, but currently only have cats.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
GSG Flash said:
Uhhh, who cares? Yes I am purposely ignoring that since I'm specifically looking at the origins of the dog as we know it today, considering that's what New Scientist is comparing to cats, not its distant cousin. And hell, I even provided you a link. So you'll have to explain to me how an animal could be domesticated before it even existed.
i'd like to know what exactly you think a 'dog as we know it today' is, because a 'dog' IS Canis[Canidea]. l. familiaris.

What the hell are you talking about? :lol
Who cares about the most recent common ancestor? Why are you trying to drag in canidae other than dogs when they have nothing to do with the study(if you could call it that) in the first place? Is it just to prove your point? (which you're doing a poor job of)
ugh... you're boring. Why are you trying to argue a point you clearly have no understanding of? did you just google an article purely to be contrarian to the OP?

That's fair, however the fact remains that the earliest known fossil is the only concrete evidence we have of the origin of dogs and it gives us a pretty good idea about when the dog originated, anything else is just made up.
:lol

GSG Flash

Pandaman said:
i'd like to know what exactly you think a 'dog as we know it today' is, because a 'dog' IS Canis[Canidea]. l. familiaris.

You know quite well what I mean when I say "the dog as we know it today", considering the statement is self implied. Or are you suggesting that humans actually domesticated these cousins of modern day dogs based on some 12 year old hypothesis from a science magazine?

ugh... you're boring. Why are you trying to argue a point you clearly have no understanding of? did you just google an article purely to be contrarian to the OP?

And you're just arguing for the hell of it, even when you know that your argument is ridiculous.

There is evidence of humans from 200 000 years ago, yet if humans domesticated dogs 130 000 years ago, how come the earliest evidence that may suggest the domestication of dogs is only from 15000 to 30000BC? And how come the earliest evidence we can claim as 100% accurate in the domestication of dogs only goes back to 7000BC?

Heck, the 130k year hypothesis is so absurd that even the scientist who came up with that number admitted as much (which you would know if you read the New Scientist article).

So what exactly is a hypothesis if not an educated guess(ie. made up)?

Technically I should be :lol ing at you, which I will proceed to do so:

:lol

A dog is closer to an actual friend (though no substitute for human contact), a cat is more like a roommate who thinks you are an asshole but wants to see what he can get out of you.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
cloudwalking said:
you can really tell which people have never owned a cat in this thread.

Really. Some people are so ignorant. Or they met a few asshole cats in their whole life and think all cats are assholes because of that.

My 1 year old kitty is such a nice, funny and cute cat, i don't see how anyone could hate her. Maybe if you don't have a soul.

I've met my share of dumbass dogs, but i still don't hate all of them.

Jamesearlcash said:
Cat's demand your attention, you demand a dog's attention.

That doesn't explain why my dog lifts my mouse-arm up with her snout when she wants my attention.

I doubt she has any understanding of what I'm doing but she knows that whatever it is relies on my hand touching that mouse. I was amazed when I realized she was perceptive enough to disrupt the activity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom