• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scientists say dogs over cats

Status
Not open for further replies.

qcf x2

I've experience both, and key observations that I didn't see in the OP:

1. Dogs smell, even if they're clean their mouth stinks.

2. Cats shed, and this is a big deal.

3. Dogs need to be walked to shit/urinate, cats do not.

4. Cats scratch things.

5. Dogs are loud and/or excitable as fuck.

6. Cats are random and/or lazy as fuck.

And this, ladies and gentlemen, is why I am no longer a pet owner. I always laugh at the people who feel obligated to pick a side, though. Both have their pluses.

I like both. I've had four cats and two dogs in my years and all were great. Still though, the dogs felt more like members of the family. Especially my border collie.

MIMIC said:
What does this mean? Follow as in understand, or follow as mimic, or follow as in...following a long with their eyes (even though that seems like a useless thing to score).

It means that if you point to something the dog will look at what your pointing at, and not at your outstretched finger. Or dogs will follow your gaze. Which is very much true, at least in some dogs. And as the article said, it doesn't sound that impressive until you realize that most other animals just don't get it.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
BobLoblaw said:
You and me. We think alike. Cats = vile beasts

CURSE YOU VILE BEAST. YOUR DEMONIC EYES CANNOT DESTROY ME

cute%20kitten(weee).jpg

qcf x2 said:
I've experience both, and key observations that I didn't see in the OP:

1. Dogs smell, even if they're clean their mouth stinks.

I don't care much either direction, but cats smell too. I've never been to someone's house/apartment who had a cat that didn't smell distinctly like cat.

RiggenBlaque said:
I don't care much either direction, but cats smell too. I've never been to someone's house/apartment who had a cat that didn't smell distinctly like cat.

Very true, you can smell a cat house when you enter, no matter how often the box is cleaned. You can certainly smell dogs too though.

if you can tolerate that other creatures in your house have a free will, get a cat (or a girlfriend with a brain)

if you want everything to be your way and your way only and every other creature in your house to obey you, get a dog (or a dumbass girlfriend)

Always-honest said:
if you can tolerate that other creatures in your house have a free will, get a cat (or a girlfriend with a brain)

if you want everything to be your way and your way only and every other creature in your house to obey you, get a dog (or a dumbass girlfriend)

You've clearly never had a dog, or if you did you probably had it lobotomized. My dog was always trying to undermine me. She was often trying to escape my notice and do whatever she wanted that was against the rules of the house. She had this spot in the carpet where she loved to dig. Made a perfect fucking square too.

Davey Cakes

Dog wasn't named as "man's best friend" for nothing. They are more affectionate and less lazy than cats. You can actually go outside and have fun with them doing all sorts of activities. The downside is that they require more extensive training, but there's plenty to get in return for the effort.

I will always prefer dogs.

That said, my girlfriend has the typical "lazy cat" who just sits around all day, eats, and sleeps. However, I love him. He's not completely devoid of affection and he purrs when I'm around. We get along. He can also be fun to play with, though the playing is short lived. Cats like him are great if don't want to put too much in and don't care to get much back. You make an agreement with the cat not to have him/her constantly ask for attention, and in return you really only have to feed them. It's a very simple relationship.

However, in the end it's all really about the personality of the owner. Some people prefer the low maintenance of cats, some people prefer the more active nature of dogs. I actually think it's great that people like having both. I know I wish I had both a cat and a dog.

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
Rash said:
Dog wasn't named as "man's best friend" for nothing. They are more affectionate and less lazy than cats.

False. I had a Yorkshire Terrier who are commonly mentioned as the most intelligent dog breed, and mine was pretty damn smart...and my cat is a thousand times smarter. And it gave me far more affection in a year than my dog ever did.

Bisnic

Count of Monte Sawed-Off said:
You've clearly never had a dog, or if you did you probably had it lobotomized. My dog was always trying to undermine me. She was often trying to escape my notice and do whatever she wanted that was against the rules of the house. She had this spot in the carpet where she loved to dig. Made a perfect fucking square too.

My dog was never listening to anyone and never obeying our rules of the house either. Let's not mention running away from the house if we let the front door open unwatched for a few seconds and more annoying stuff that, thank god, our cats are NOT doing. Thankfully, those days are now over.

So, according to GAF's "law" of "I see 1 asshole pet, therefore all pets of that kind are assholes" that they put on cats... :lol

Dogs are indeed assholes according to this law.

TheCardPlayer said:
False. I had a Yorkshire Terrier who are commonly mentioned as the most intelligent dog breed, and mine was pretty damn smart...and my cat is a thousand times smarter. And it gave me far more affection in a year than my dog ever did.

What? No they're not. At least not in anything I've ever seen. The border collie is generally considered the most intelligent, with poodles(not the toy version), German shepherds and golden retrievers following. I've never even seen anything that had a Yorkshire Terrier in the top ten.

Subitai

Shawsie64 said:
This is what iv never understood about cat owners.. I mean whats the point of having one of these moochers around? with dogs you get affection and loyalty at least.. Only thing cats do in my neighborhood is kill native birds. Though in saying that iv never had a cat as a pet myself so I could be just generalizing
They serve different areas of human needs. Cats stuck around on farms cause they were better at "search and destroy" autonomously for rodents than the small dog breeds of the past, and took much less time and material from the farmers doing so. If a cats owner dies, it can move on and make it on its own. Dogs however need to be part of a pack and that's where the extra loyalty comes from. That extra loyalty is great if you have time to indulge in and feed it.

As far as just a house pet, some people (like me) prefer not to have a pet attack you with affection when you return from somewhere. And as mentioned before they take much less maintenance.

As far as being import to the human growth of civilization though, the scientists are right. Dogs are critical. Stuff like hunting, guarding, and especially sheep herding would be much more man power intensive and less successful without the help of specialized dog breeds created over the centuries.

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
What? No they're not. At least not in anything I've ever seen. The border collie is generally considered the most intelligent, with poodles(not the toy version), German shepherds and golden retrievers following. I've never even seen anything that had a Yorkshire Terrier in the top ten.

Fact is, like all dogs, it was a fucktard. Cats are just wise and awesome.

Sorry,doggie. I still fucking love you. RIP

Davey Cakes

Well, it's all anecdotal. In my experience, I've met more lazy and low-affection cats than dogs of the same sort. It seems like others have as well, but I could be wrong. Having a decent amount of exposure to both animals growing up, it just seemed to make more sense to consider a dog as "man's best friend" instead of a cat, but maybe it's just me.

That said, again, it's not clear-cut. It really depends on the pet, the owner, and their circumstance. Pets, like people, probably shouldn't be generalized.

Bisnic

Shawsie64 said:
This is what iv never understood about cat owners.. I mean whats the point of having one of these moochers around? with dogs you get affection and loyalty at least.. Only thing cats do in my neighborhood is kill native birds. Though in saying that iv never had a cat as a pet myself so I could be just generalizing

Good thing you said you never owned a cat, because my cats gives so much affection. What do i see first when i come back home? My cats coming after me. They want to sleep with me(even near my face:lol ) during the nights, they want to stay near me when im on my PC or watching TV. They're even scratching my bedroom's door when it's closed, just because they want to stay next to me.

If that's not affection, i don't know what it is.

Rorschach

Bisnic said:
Good thing you said you never owned a cat, because my cats gives so much affection. What do i see first when i come back home? My cats coming after me. They want to sleep with me(even near my face:lol ) during the nights, they want to stay near me when im on my PC or watching TV. They're even scratching my bedroom's door when it's closed, just because they want to stay next to me.

My cat fucked up the carpet in the corner of my bedroom door trying to dig her way in. Ugh. And she followed me everywhere when I was home. What a pain in the ass!

An adorable pain in the ass!

actually i did, and i really liked the dog. she always escaped the house and went to the nearby snack store.

obviously i'm not being totally serious in what i said... that would be ridiculous.
In general, i do prefer cats over dogs. but ofcourse it depends on the individual animal..

themadcowtipper

Smells faintly of rancid stilton.
Seems like a waste of money scientists. All u had to do was check out steven seagal lawman last episode to know dogs kick ass.

I have only ever had cats, I don't prefer them over dogs, I just think they are different.

House Cat = cuddly little friend that loves to snuggle up and be with you and mostly stays indoors
Big Dog = loyal buddy that loves outdoor stuff and thinks you are the greatest.

Tiny dogs = whats the point?
Outside cat = whats the point?

its all preference that is why I don't understand this scientific decision!

In a perfect world I would have both.

Let me in

Dogs smell like ass. Some woman brought her dog into the bank the other day (why she couldn't leave it in the car, I'm not sure) and the odor coming from the dog was permeating the bank. It was nasty.

I have a cat in the house. He doesn't smell and neither does the house. He actually smells good.

BreakyBoy

o_O @_@ O_o
Subitai said:
As far as being import to the human growth of civilization though, the scientists are right. Dogs are critical. Stuff like hunting, guarding, and especially sheep herding would be much more man power intensive and less successful without the help of specialized dog breeds created over the centuries.

And here I was just raring to get to the end of the thread to make my intelligent point. Just as I reach the end of the line, you're here picking up the slack. Good job.

cubanb

Banned
Let me in said:
Dogs smell like ass. Some woman brought her dog into the bank the other day (why she couldn't leave it in the car, I'm not sure) and the odor coming from the dog was permeating the bank. It was nasty.

I have a cat in the house. He doesn't smell and neither does the house. He actually smells good.
You think your house doesn't smell, but it does. It's the sane thing with dogs too.

Rktk

Cats are cleaner, cheaper to own, need less looking after and you don't have to pick up their crap.

To the dog owner that doesn't pick up - you should be shot; along with your dog.

cubanb said:
You think your house doesn't smell, but it does. It's the sane thing with dogs too.

uh wrong.. I have a cat and my house does not smell and neither does my cat.

however my friends dog smells like shit and he knows it.

Bisnic

cubanb said:

If you buy litter that stop the smell, your house wont smell like shit.
True story.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
MIMIC said:
What does this mean? Follow as in understand, or follow as mimic, or follow as in...following a long with their eyes (even though that seems like a useless thing to score).
They can understand. For example, my dog tends to get stuck in spots because the cat is blocking a doorway (he's afraid of the cat ever since she clawed him as a puppy leaving with a pus filled hump on his shoulder which we then had to drain etc.) if I make a circular motion with my finger, the dog'll walk in the direction indicated to avoid having to deal with the cat. If I don't make the motion, he'll just stand there staring at the cat while the cat glowers at him.

Also, other basic stuff like stroking the floor helps him understand the lay down command...

Bisnic said:
If you buy litter that stop the smell, your house wont smell like shit.
True story.

See that's just it. Cat people THINK there is some magic litter that can cover up the smell of cat feces. It can't.

They just don't smell it anymore because they are acclimated to it. Truer story.

Animals that shit outside > animals that shit in your house

Ferrio

Banned
Mystagogue said:
See that's just it. Cat people THINK there is some magic litter that can cover up the smell of cat feces. It can't.

They just don't smell it anymore because they are acclimated to it. Truer story.

Cats can easily be trained to go out if you wish. Ontop of that they bury their shit.

enjoy picking up shit off the floor. my cat will dig until you can't find what she did anymore. also, why do dog owners feel the need to enslave dogs to do the jobs humans should? find your own god damn missing people you lazy bums!!

Bisnic

Mystagogue said:

No, you're wrong. We got 2 litters in my house. One with ordinary litter in the basement, behind closed door, and let me tell you, it doesnt smell good in that room if we dont empty it after a few days. The other one upstairs with the special litter right next to the kitchen? Nothing. No shit odors like in the basement. The whole house smells just fine.

Kronotech

So I gotta trade my cat in for a dog? Dogs poop is usually bigger and gets all over the place*

I'll stick to my cat.

*dogs have diarrhea a lot and throw their poop around

Mystagogue said:

Good litter = no smell + the litter box scoops itself and I dump the tray into the toilette every night, whats so hard to understand?

Subitai

GSG Flash said:
That figure, along with the point as a whole, is BS. The only number we are completely sure about, when it comes to the origins of the domestication of dogs, is 7000 BC, which is still before cats but not 130k years ago.

So as far as I'm concerned, it's a tie.
Yeah, I think it is a tie too in terms of what I like (both alot :D ), but it makes me wonder how far behind cats are in breeding when you see new stuff like an Ashera.

Since, we're sort of on the subject, has anyone seen one of these or know someone who has one?

Ashera:

- hypoallergenic
- up to 40 lb
- part african serval
- part asian leopard cat
- part regular american house cat
- "growl" (see video)
- $22,000
1803763072_defaf2a9d7.jpg

Ashera-rarest-cat-in-the-worlds-005.jpg

Max@GC

Subitai said:
Yeah, I think it is a tie too in terms of what I like (both alot :D ), but it makes me wonder how far behind cats are in breeding when you see new stuff like an Ashera.

Since, we're sort of on the subject, has anyone seen one of these or know someone who has one?

Ashera:

- hypoallergenic
- up to 40 lb
- part african serval
- part asian leopard cat
- part regular american house cat
- "growl" (see video)
- $22,000
1803763072_defaf2a9d7.jpg

Ashera-rarest-cat-in-the-worlds-005.jpg

That cat is fucking awesome! NOM NOM NOM http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxewusRW1HM#t=2m6s ^^

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Bisnic said:

It's a Matrix like scheme to rob you of your body heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom