• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scientists say dogs over cats

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Pets are all awesome, fuck off science.

my pet monkey which I will one WONDEROUS day own, will kick the shit out of dogs and cats then do science homework for my children.

DR2K

Banned
BobFromPikeCreek said:
So basically you just want something that will lay around and eat your food. Can I stay with you for a while?

Nah one pussy is enough for me.

Shawsie64

Banned
DR2K said:
Nah one pussy is enough for me.

7762060_7b140a8e1e.jpg

Fox the Sly

GSG Flash said:
Dogs have a longer shared history with humans, and may have been domesticated as long as 135,000 years ago. Cats are relative newcomers to our homes.

That figure, along with the point as a whole, is BS. The only number we are completely sure about, when it comes to the origins of the domestication of dogs, is 7000 BC, which is still before cats but not 130k years ago.

So as far as I'm concerned, it's a tie.

Did I miss something? If there's uncertainty then "may" sounds valid.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Fox the Sly said:
Did I miss something? If there's uncertainty then "may" sounds valid.

Even with that "may", to go from 7000 BC to 135k years ago is a really long jump. I would've thought, being a "scientific" research and all, that they would actually use solid numbers.

Don't you get it!! It's all part of their plan! They are trying to lure us into a false sense of safety. This just means they are closer to growing opposable thumbs and when that happens we are doomed!!

Belfast

Cats' brains also contain more cells, with about 1.4 million more devoted to complex functions such as memory and attention than dogs' brains. The cats' second point was awarded for being more popular, with 204 million living in the top 10 cat-owning nations compared to 173 million dogs in the 10 countries where canines were most in vogue.

Wow. Those crazy cat ladies really have a lot of pull!

Dogs can also follow human gestures, such as an outstretched finger or a nod of the head to find food.

Uh, so can my cat - granted, most cats will just look at your finger when you point, but mine looks where i'm pointing. She also understands mirrors while a lot of cats don't, so stick that in your pipe 'New Scientist'.

The ability to perform roles such as being a guide dog for the blind meant dogs were rated better than cats when it came to their problem-solving abilities.

Hmm.

And they are also said to be easier to train.

Aha.

Dogs, studies show, help cut human stress, while taking them for walks keeps their owners fit and helps them meet new people. New Scientist says: "Dogs can hunt, herd and guard."

"They can sniff out drugs and bombs; they guide blind and deaf people, race for sport, pull sledges, find someone buried by an avalanche, help children learn and possibly even predict earthquakes."

So what you're saying, New Scientist, is that dogs are willing to become de facto slaves out of some misplaced need for affection from their owner, whereas cats don't give a shit and still get the same affection that dogs crave? Now who's the smart one ;)

Zaptruder

Banned
Bootaaay said:
Uh, so can my cat - granted, most cats will just look at your finger when you point, but mine looks where i'm pointing. She also understands mirrors while a lot of cats don't, so stick that in your pipe 'New Scientist'.

Hmm.

Aha.

So what you're saying, New Scientist, is that dogs are willing to become de facto slaves out of some misplaced need for affection from their owner, whereas cats don't give a shit and still get the same affection that dogs crave? Now who's the smart one ;)

The dog owner I'd imagine. Has a more useful pet.

maharg

idspispopd
mac said:
What's funny is that if you walk onto a cat using the kitty litter they get all pissed at you.

I'd be pretty pissed too if someone 10 times my size came into my bathroom and started stepping on me.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Study seems to have missed the part about demands on the owner's time. I can leave my cat for a couple days while I go somewhere for the weekend and she'll be perfectly fine. I have friends who can never even grab a quick drink after work because they have to rush home to let the dogs out before they shit all over the living room or explode from holding it in.

I do like dogs, I would just never want to own one. Not solo, at least.

Self-sufficient > utterly dependent

Red Scarlet

Scrow said:
fence sitter

I've always had both at all times. Growing up, cats were my favorite. She died though, and now my middle aged puppy is who is the closest to me now. :)

MattKeil said:
Study seems to have missed the part about demands on the owner's time. I can leave my cat for a couple days while I go somewhere for the weekend and she'll be perfectly fine. I have friends who can never even grab a quick drink after work because they have to rush home to let the dogs out before they shit all over the living room or explode from holding it in.

I do like dogs, I would just never want to own one. Not solo, at least.

Self-sufficient > utterly dependent

Pet doors work pretty well. Except when it's really cold for an old dog..

Bootaaay said:
Uh, so can my cat - granted, most cats will just look at your finger when you point, but mine looks where i'm pointing.

Wow, really? In all seriousness, I've never seen a cat that can do this. Can it follow a head nod as well? Every dog I've had, I've played catch with or whatever, and I simply do a subtle head nod, and the dog is able to follow where the nod is pointing to a direction. It's actually a pretty remarkable ability, to follow that "imaginary" line through space to a direction.

Tried it with cats (girlfriend's cats, friends of the family, etc.) and never found one that could follow it. but a stranger's dog can get it pretty much immediately.

Obviously the dog owner, who got the affectionate, trainable, and useful pet :p

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
GSG Flash said:
That figure, along with the point as a whole, is BS. The only number we are completely sure about, when it comes to the origins of the domestication of dogs, is 7000 BC, which is still before cats but not 130k years ago.

So as far as I'm concerned, it's a tie.
if you're going to correct someone, try to be right.

domesticated dog species descendant out of asia existed in north America prior to European arrival, this alone would push the domestication of dog species back to +14,000 years. the cited 130k figure is most likely an average out between archeological evidence of interaction between human and wolf species and the predicted speciation event between dogs and wolves.

KevinCow

Banned
My mom brought home a dog the other week. Since then, between the barking, the whining to be let out, the constant neediness, and the, "I'm going to sit in your lap even though I'm way too big to do so and not even all that soft," I've been continually reminded of why cats are way more awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom