• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SCORN – Prologue Gameplay Walkthrough (8 Mins)

Atmosphere looks amazing, and sometimes that's all it takes. Silent Hill franchise is a perfect example of this. Combat is terrible, and the RE style "puzzles" are crap, but the games nail the atmosphere and it is what makes (most of them) great.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Exactly the score I expected, it won't be for everyone. I'm keen to play a short Giger puzzle game which is all it was ever said to be.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Just as I thought, a boring amazing looking game for a short amount of time. Some may enjoy it, most wont. For gamepass price, no reason not to get it for for 36 euros? ROFL you'd be an idiot.

Got to agree. Its perfect for Gamepass, but as a retail offering its not great value and I can see a lot of refund claims on Steam as the ambiguous marketing might leave some to believe its more than a Myst type experience.

I can see a lot of work has gone into the presentation, but honestly even as someone who's had a more than passing interest in Giger and Beksinsky's art, I really have to wonder if that's enough.

Beechos

Yeah but I was talking about xbox delivering banger exclusives, the whole point of my post was that Scorn is another average 'exclusive'

Ill take a banger like plagues tale day one on gamepass that i wont have to buy. It doesnt hurt me if its not exclusive and other people get to play it.

Gudji

Outside of the alien like art style it never showed anything spetactular so I'm not surprised at the scores.

GHG

So it's a good looking shit game. Shocker.

Thankfully Plague Tales next week

Based on the previews there's a chance that could end up having a similar fate. I will riot if that's the case though, was really fond of the first one.

Not sure if vr already reached this level of graphic fidelity yet.

We have 4090s now, it's possible.

Last edited:

baphomet

Well it looks really good at least.

I'm only like 2 floors in, but calling most of this stuff puzzles wouldn't even be correct.

But really though, it looks extremely good.

Buggy Loop

On top of Elder legend’s 10/10 and gamerant’s 1/5 (WTF)

Confused Curb Your Enthusiasm GIF

skit_data

Wow, mixed reviews indeed. It’s pretty much all over the place.
Pretty much expected tbh, I’ll definitely check out some impressions here on the forum though because it’s always interesting with games that get so many mixed reviews.

Elder legend’s 10/10 and gamerant’s 1/5

Yeah I instantly dismiss any of these ridiculous dumb scores. I've never given in my entire life the lowest or the maximum score to ANY game. Not even my number one game of all time is not perfect nor my hated game of all time doesnt have 1/10. There is no such thing. Ridiculous.

SJRB

Gold Member

Always dismiss outliers.

10/10 and 1/10 are ridiculous scores only given to get rage clicks. With literally hundreds of sites releasing their reviews, it's a way to stand out in the crowd. Pathetic, really.

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: GHG

tommib

Yeah I instantly dismiss any of these ridiculous dumb scores. I've never given in my entire life the lowest or the maximum score to ANY game. Not even my number one game of all time is not perfect nor my hated game of all time doesnt have 1/10. There is no such thing. Ridiculous.
Why do people get so troubled by a personal score? Knowing Elder Legend, I totally get why for him it would be a perfect game. There is such a thing as a perfect game for a specific reviewer.

Why do people get so troubled by a personal score? Knowing Elder Legend, I totally get why for him it would be a perfect game. There is such a thing as a perfect game for a specific reviewer.

Its not personal when its public therefore I can and will always criticize anyone that says x is perfect.

Last edited:

Justin9mm

Ill take a banger like plagues tale day one on gamepass that i wont have to buy. It doesnt hurt me if its not exclusive and other people get to play it.
You obviously got no idea what I'm talking about. I'm not talking about gamepass, I'm talking about xbox as a brand not delivering enough good exclusive games. Why do you think there has been the recent acquisitions? What does plagues tale and gamepass have to do with it!

That’s what reviewers do? They make their reviews public? I don’t understand.

I clarified a bit with the edit but what I mean is you and everyone else are entitled to have opinions just like I am, however when you promote your score or you get early free copies from the devs or your public review gets you money, then I will ofc criticize them. To be fair, I do not value any "critic". I think they're all paid shills. Even the good ones are ding it for some form of income, whether its an income from being a more open-speech kind of guy, you are still doing it for the money. Sorry bit of a rant here. Point is, no game is perfect.

Yay free on GP but XB needs to come with bangers and time and time again they haven't delivered! Looks like another average game!
Xbox has an issue with knowing how to pick games to support. Remember, The Medium was there first Next Gen day one game pass game, lol crazy. Phil is clearly doing his best but he needs help in this department.

I’m still going to try this out because it’s in game pass but it seems like another disappointment.

tommib

I clarified a bit with the edit but what I mean is you and everyone else are entitled to have opinions just like I am, however when you promote your score or you get early free copies from the devs or your public review gets you money, then I will ofc criticize them. To be fair, I do not value any "critic". I think they're all paid shills. Even the good ones are ding it for some form of income, whether its an income from being a more open-speech kind of guy, you are still doing it for the money. Sorry bit of a rant here. Point is, no game is perfect.
Sure, that’s your opinion and how you see things - I just don’t think like that at all.

I used to have my own amateur reviewer site back in the day and one of the few games I ever gave a perfect score was the game D, from Kenji Eno. You can quickly do a search and see how divise that game is. It’s basically a FMV puzzle game. To this day, that game is still - for me - perfect. And I wrote about it.

The hard part is writing so that someone understands why that game checks all your boxes. That’s the interesting part of criticism.

You’re looking for objectivity in reviews which just isn’t possible because whatever a critic writes is an impression. I don’t think they’re shills but I can see how they can feel forced to jump on a bandwagon and not to diverge from a general reception.

What changed these days is that we look at scores and don’t really read anything. It used to be the opposite before.

Sure, that’s your opinion and how you see things - I just don’t think like that at all.

I used to have my own amateur reviewer site back in the day and one of the few games I ever gave a perfect score was the game D, from Kenji Eno. You can quickly do a search and see how divise that game is. It’s basically a FMV puzzle game. To this day, that game is still - for me - perfect. And I wrote about it.

The hard part is writing so that someone understands why that game checks all your boxes. That’s the interesting part of criticism.

You’re looking for objectivity in reviews which just isn’t possible because whatever a critic writes is an impression. I don’t think they’re shills but I can see how they can feel forced to jump on a bandwagon and not to diverge from a general reception.

What changed these days is that we look at scores and don’t really read anything. It used to be the opposite before.

Its fine, I get you but to me, if you do not find flaws in things, you're not good at the job you're doing and this honestly applies in everything not just reviews. We are designed as human beings to have flaws thus our creations have flaws as well. Yes, your wife, your mom, your dog, are perfect in your eyes but in my experience if you do not see problems within them, then you become ignorant and ignorance can be damaging. Sorry we're getting a bit philosophical in here but suffice to say, in my opinion, we should always look for flaws.

Last edited:

Banned
played it for 2h,

if I had to describe it with as few words as possible I would say "Horror-Action-Myth"
it has slight Survival Horror elements, Action Adventure elements, and classic graphics adventure elements like Myth-like games

Survival Horror elements: you die real fast and you have to manage ammo + health items
Action Adventure elements: you upgrade something that's similar to a key card, and have navigate placed with small environmental puzzles
Myth like elements: puzzles that could be straight out of Myth an that influence usually bigger puzzles that lock your progression

so anyone who likey Myth like puzzles, Resi like health+ammo management and slight metroid like elements will be into this for sure.

played it for 2h,

if I had to describe it with as few words as possible I would say "Horror-Action-Myth"
it has slight Survival Horror elements, Action Adventure elements, and classic graphics adventure elements like Myth-like games

Survival Horror elements: you die real fast and you have to manage ammo + health items
Action Adventure elements: you upgrade something that's similar to a key card, and have navigate placed with small environmental puzzles
Myth like elements: puzzles that could be straight out of Myth an that influence usually bigger puzzles that lock your progression

so anyone who likey Myth like puzzles, Resi like health+ammo management and slight metroid like elements will be into this for sure.

That actually sounds appealing.

GymWolf

People trolling elder legend for a perfect score to Scorn...

...when the perfect occasion was when he said that ac valhalla is a glorious masterpiece, jesus guys at least chose your battles more carefully:lollipop_grinning_sweat:

• LOL
Reactions: GHG

MiguelItUp

Sounds more or less like I was expecting. An immersive game sprinkled with puzzles, minor combat, etc. A fairly short and visually intriguing game, sounds good to me. But this is surely divisive AF, clearly.

Holy shit, you think this is better than Elden Ring?
We gave Elden Ring same score.

They are very different games, stop comparing apples to oranges, its very silly of you. We judge games objectively and not subjectively like what most people do.

Elden Ring does things very well on what it sets out to do and so does Scorn for the type of a game it is.

Pedro Motta

They are very different games, stop comparing apples to oranges, its very silly of you. We judge games objectively and not subjectively like what most people do.

Elden Ring does things very well on what it sets out to do and so does Scorn for the type of a game it is.
Like it's very silly of you to call other reviewers idiots.

Justin9mm

Xbox has an issue with knowing how to pick games to support. Remember, The Medium was there first Next Gen day one game pass game, lol crazy. Phil is clearly doing his best but he needs help in this department.

I’m still going to try this out because it’s in game pass but it seems like another disappointment.
I have GP so will def try it too but I think you're right. Kind of like an actor who keeps picking the shittiest scripts/movies to do lol

um, sorry, but all game judging is subjective. there's no such animal as an 'objective opinion'...

Hey listen man, I am exception to the rule. I just really like atmospheric games and I am Abita bias towards a strong art direction. I very clearly stated in my review at the end that his game is absolutely not for everyone and stated the reasons why I personally liked it.

People need to stop just looking at score and then make false judgements. At least read the review itself if you want a thorough explanation.

We gave Elden Ring also a 10/10, Saints Row recieved s 6.5 . It has been a while since I've played a good atmospheric horror game. The game is not broken, playable from start to finish and doesn't have any weird bugs (at least none that I've encountered)

um, sorry, but all game judging is subjective. there's no such animal as an 'objective opinion'...
That's a hard disagreem a good reviewer will look at the game objectively and review it fairly if they understand its intended design. Because you have to judge the game based on what it's intended design is trying to achieve. Whether the design is good or bad is a different story that's where the review comes in.

It was very obvious that Scorn is a game that strives for good art, immersion and atmosphere and strong audio design to achieve their primary goal which is to immerse the player in this scary universe and it does it extremely well.

If you let a reviewer who hates slow spaced games and doesn't care for atmosphere or immersion of course they will treat it badly.

It's the same thing with Dark Souls. People who hate games without any handholding will hate it. It's disengenous to let someone review a game who doesn't understand the product itself from the get go. But majority of website just care about $$$ so they throw reviews at their so called "contributors" just to churn shit out and make money. They do not give a fuck about honest opinions or transparency.

Reality is that not everyone will like what each and every game does. There are people who hate Last of Us and God of War cause they don't care about games with deep storytelling and good narrative. Does that make them bad games? No.

Is it really hard for people to understand that not every game is for them? If you don't like the game, that doesn't make it bad. It just makes it bad for YOU.

Now what makes a bad game across for everyone is something like Saints Row. Poorly designed from the get go. Horrible cast of characters, repetetive missions and poor world building among other bad qualities.

Objective reviews do exist. I been in this industry since 2013 and have done a lot of work for a variety of publications but now run my own shop

I am 100% positive I know what I am talking than most people here.

Last edited:
not sure if serious...
Oh I wow look you can't even provide a good counter argument. It's ok, because you don't have any. On the ignore list you go where you belong. Too bad, because I don't mind having a civil discuss, but it's obvious you are just here to piss people off and not willing to have an intellectual conversation.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Not for $35 it isn't. But of course most people are playing it on gamepass so they "don't mind" since they didn't fork out the cash. Order 1886 got shit on because of that length but I see reviewers again give it a pass because its "free game".

The Order launched at full price. This is available for $35.99 ~ $39.99. It's not the same case at all, even if you eliminate the game pass factor entirely.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Not for $35 it isn't. But of course most people are playing it on gamepass so they "don't mind" since they didn't fork out the cash. Order 1886 got shit on because of that length but I see reviewers again give it a pass because its "free game".
A bad game is a bad game, but like anything in life if someone didn't pay for it (Game Pass download), then of course it's not as bad, since there's no money lost. Sounds logical to me.

Order 1886 got shit on because it was a full priced game and people expected more from a Sony game. Scorn is a cheaper indie game so expectations are lower.

Top Bottom