• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SCOTT PILGRIM VS. THE WORLD TRAILER LEVEL UP

Status
Not open for further replies.

discohiro

After reading that, I just had to change my avatar to this...

kimgf.gif

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
AgentWhiskersX said:
Flowers >>>> Pine > Chau
I don't think I could even put any of Scott Pilgrim's female characters avobe the others. Heck, I even like Envy Adams.
Not Julie Powers, though, she is a mean bitch.

The best part about the whole comic is that even in its weirdness, you can always relate some of Scott's friends and interests to your own acquaintances. O'Malley truly did something else.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Yep, the Kim extra comic is great, I even used it to introduce a friend to the overall feeling of SP.

Shurs

I'm surprised to see so many fans of the comic (or is it graphic novel?) who want a film adaptation. Most of the time people are disappointed in such adaptations.

Shurs said:
I'm surprised to see so many fans of the comic (or is it graphic novel?) who want a film adaptation. Most of the time people are disappointed in such adaptations.
most of the time said adaptation isn't done by edgar wright

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Shurs said:

v for vendetta was good

sin city was great

scott pilgrim is excellent

Router said:
Kim and Knives
drunk kissing
> all the other girls.
"Have you said the L-word yet?"
"The L-word? You mean... Lesbian?"

edit: I say poo on all these bitches. I like Stacey Pilgrim.

(but Kim and Knives are alright)

VariantX04

Loser slave of the system :(
I don't get the love for Lisa Miller. In fact, I would go as far as to declare Julie Powers > Lisa Miller. Well, only because the insatiable Aubrey Plaza is playing her in the movie
and I find mean bitches to be super hot
. <3

Dresden

AgentWhiskersX said:
I don't get the love for Lisa Miller. In fact, I would go as far as to declare Julie Powers > Lisa Miller. Well, only because the insatiable Aubrey Plaza is playing her in the movie
. <3
Lisa was totally hot, and I have a thing for unrequited love.

VariantX04

Loser slave of the system :(
Dresden said:
Lisa was totally hot, and I have a thing for unrequited love.
And I guess if it weren't for her, Scott Pilgrim wouldn't have that kick-ass sword. Fair enough.

discohiro

AgentWhiskersX said:
. <3

Love Aubrey Plaza in Parks and Recreation. She's a perfect choice for Julie.

3703208892_82f0b4bc28.jpg

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
discohiro said:
Love Aubrey Plaza in Parks and Recreation. She's a perfect choice for Julie.

3703208892_82f0b4bc28.jpg
I know nothing about Aubrey Plaza, but she's got the insufferable bitch look totally nailed down.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
AgentWhiskersX said:
I don't get the love for Lisa Miller.
Well, you also think Ramona's the best of the girls. So there's no hope for you I'm afraid.

Lisa's the first friend Scott had at that high school and if it wasn't for her he may not have started a band, got with Kim, etc. She's the catalyst for everything that happened in the comics! Plus she's a very viable alternative for Scott who, after declining, was still a good enough friend to let Scott go on.

Empty

So i was lucky enough to see an advance preview of this earlier tonight, was given an invite after How to Train your Dragon.

Taken as a standalone film, it was very enjoyable, as an adaptation of the comics i was a little underwhelmed and thought it didn't quite live up to them despite being solid enough. The fight scenes are the standout to me, just a joy to watch and wonderfully over the top, they are stylish, well directed and thrilling; thumbs up to Edgar Wright for really getting those. The film however concentrates on the action rather than any of the human relationships unlike in the comic, and this is rather disappointing as the beautifully written character interactions and genuinely touching emotional parts are part of what made them so good and even when the film does that it is nowhere near as well done. You don't care about the relationship between Scott and Ramona in the film that much, and even worse you hardly even believe that they'd ever like each other such is the way it's written. They don't quite get the whole 20 year old aimless slacker vibe that the comic captured so perfectly, but i'll put that down to the limits of making one film. Part of that failure to get the Ramona- Scott thing right was down to the other aspect of the character stuff that bugged me was the performance of Micheal Cera, he plays himself again rather than Scott Pilgrim Rating: Awesome, though there are a few moments where he gets it right, most of the time he is nervy and vulnerable rather than constantly confident and cocksure with a bit of a vulnerable side. However outside of Cera every other character is spectacularly realized, Knives, Steven Stills, Wallace, Young Neil and Stacey are perfectly realized and Ramona isn't that far behind, the acting really is great and the side characters for the most part work excellently, though they aren't given quite enough time to really gell thanks to the combat heavy focus.

The great parts of the film is the direction, the whole thing is super stylishly made, with the comic book effects working great, the comic book style flashbacks very nice, a few glorious bits of nerdiness, some moments of pure cinematic brilliance (the Gets it - Doesn't get it is one example, to not spoil anything) and they nail the whole subversive mocking of game and anime tropes that was part of what made the comic so good; which is awesome to watch. Wright takes a bunch of liberties with the text to make it work in a feature film, and most are good with the trimming (outside of hurting the character stuff as i said earlier) being very good and the narrative device to link together parts of the story together in a new way is very effective. The storytelling is good in it's pacing, how nicely it is put together, the editing is amazing, and the comedy writing will make you laugh a whole bunch of times. The 'Book 6' new stuff is mostly very good, i actually liked the last 30 minutes of the film most with a brilliant brilliant game thing that i won't spoil, except for the ending which i think is genuinely atrocious and makes no sense given the character progression of the film and comics, and it comes off feeling like an attempt to shoehorn a lame morale into a quirky film that shouldn't need it. That took the shine off it a little, but the film is very enjoyable, only disappointing when compared to the comic of which it is a solid adaptation that works best when it does it's own things, and it's worth getting excited about.

Empty

i didn't know we had a real one, i just posted it in the most recent one i could remember. i don't want to bump two threads.

I wouldn't be too worried if you saw the movie as far as spoilers are concerned, because apparently the ending of the movie is completely different from the comic.

Long thread, sorry if this has been mentioned but what I'm really excited for is that this is Wright's homage to video games much like Shaun was his homage to zombie films, Hot Fuzz action, etc. Expecting lots of cool little references like the Sonic coin sound and the SF KO SFX. Really looking fwd to it.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
i_am_not_jon_ames said:
Long thread, sorry if this has been mentioned but what I'm really excited for is that this is Wright's homage to video games much like Shaun was his homage to zombie films, Hot Fuzz action, etc. Expecting lots of cool little references like the Sonic coin sound and the SF KO SFX. Really looking fwd to it.
Why did you post in this old thread and not the movie one? :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom