• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scribblenauts Preview/Impressions Thread - You will say "wow." (see post #217)

Nocebo

FuzzyDunlop said:
i dont see how the can do it either, which takes me back to my original point that i feel like i'll be disappointed. a great puzzle game, sure, but im skeptical when the developer says "you can summon literally anything".
You don't see how they can do it? Of course you don't. But it has been confirmed that atom is in the game, so the others are definitely in as well.

Nocebo

SirPenguin said:
I think one of these days we'll have to have a sobering conversation about the number of items on screen. Tools and the like seem to take up maybe 1/8 of the limit, but I've seen most "AI enabled" critters take up around 1/4 or more.

On the flip side we've seen screenshots with a ton going on. Maybe they lowered the amount of items onscreen for the demo, or maybe in the early levels you don't get as much to play around with, or...well...who knows, I guess.

But out of all the things that make me hesitant, that's definitely the biggest
What the hell are you talking about? Lowered the amount of items onscreen for the demo? Less items to play with? What do you mean? You spawn the items yourself and you can spawn as many as you want right?

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Reading these last pages has made me realize one thing: FuzzyDunlop really IS FuzzyDunlop.

*shameless Wire plug*

Teasel

AniHawk said:
I don't get it.
i think i got it
because zebra is the last word in the dictionary?
Can we write "golf club" and "golf ball" and start playing golf? How about "tennis racket" and "tennis ball" to hit a starite out of a tree? Will there be such interaction between such items?
this is the kind of stuff i wished people would test instead of making god vs everything
does a dog fetch if i throw a ball at him?
does a cat play with a ball of yarn?
can i interact with a kangaroo sack in any way?
if i write pyromaniac and then write firefighter can i expect the pyromaniac to try to burn everything while the firefighter chase him watering down fires?
can i use a mirror to reflect rays?
can i play any musical instrument i summon?
if i summon a lake and a crocodile will the crocodile float in the water half submerged waiting for preys?
can i expect a turtle to retract in his shell when scared? armadillo's to roll into a ball? ostrich to put their head in the ground?
if i write cop,thief and jail can i expect the cop to try to put the thief in jail? would the thief try to escape after that?

if the game doesn't do all of these things then it's not worthy of all this buzz and we are talking about it just because we suddenly decided that normal games are grey and dulls (since everytime someone move a critic about it someone has to pop out and go "WHAT DO YOU WANT? BETTER GRAPHICS,BETTER GUNPLAY?)
i believe that the game can summon everything (someone was making fun of it,but it's true... google is a database of everything,if google can do it,there is no reason a game can't,especialy when it only has nouns... if anything i feel sorry for the poor sprite artist who has to draw so many thing) i don't believe everything will interact as i expect for the simple reason that i haven't seen it
and really it's hard to be excited when all the developer did was this and a tower defense game... i'll be fair i would be more excited if there was a bigger name behind the game but as it stands it just makes me more bitter

(i know,i know there are probably tons of bad grammar mistakes... have fun?)

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
probably been answered hundreds of time in this thread alone already, but when is this releasing?

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Teasel said:
i think i got it
because zebra is the last word in the dictionary?
There's a bunch of
Zulus
here that would like to speak with you.

Teasel said:
does a dog fetch if i throw a ball at him? Probably yes. Bunnies reproduce, so I expect dogs to behave (in a very basic way) like dogs.
does a cat play with a ball of yarn? Probably yes. Animals/people have a bunch of stuff they like/dislike.
can i interact with a kangaroo sack in any way? Sounds dirty. Don't want to know.
if i write pyromaniac and then write firefighter can i expect the pyromaniac to try to burn everything while the firefighter chase him watering down fires? Probably yes. Firefighters are expected to extinguish fires.
can i use a mirror to reflect rays? No idea.
can i play any musical instrument i summon? Probably yes. You can interact with the objects you summon.
if i summon a lake and a crocodile will the crocodile float in the water half submerged waiting for preys? If you can fit a lake somewhere, I'd say yes.
can i expect a turtle to retract in his shell when scared? armadillo's to roll into a ball? ostrich to put their head in the ground? Some of you have truly ridiculous expectations o_O Who knows? Maybe.
if i write cop,thief and jail can i expect the cop to try to put the thief in jail? would the thief try to escape after that? Probably yes.

Rez said:
probably been answered hundreds of time in this thread alone already, but when is this releasing?
This Fall. No exact date is known.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Teasel said:
this is the kind of stuff i wished people would test instead of making god vs everything
does a dog fetch if i throw a ball at him?
does a cat play with a ball of yarn?
can i interact with a kangaroo sack in any way?
if i write pyromaniac and then write firefighter can i expect the pyromaniac to try to burn everything while the firefighter chase him watering down fires?
can i use a mirror to reflect rays?
can i play any musical instrument i summon?
if i summon a lake and a crocodile will the crocodile float in the water half submerged waiting for preys?
can i expect a turtle to retract in his shell when scared? armadillo's to roll into a ball? ostrich to put their head in the ground?
if i write cop,thief and jail can i expect the cop to try to put the thief in jail? would the thief try to escape after that?

The game gives you the opportunity to TRY these things. Isn't that an intriguing concept in and of itself? To experiment with things your imagination conjures up and seeing their potential interactions. It may not always turn out the way you expect it to, and there will be unexpected surprises for everyone, guaranteed. If you're one to dismiss the game's ingenuity based on stuff like differences in crocodile behaviour between your mind and in the game, well frankly, you can suck the fun out of anything. Nothing is going to please you.

Your last point was actually tested and yes. You can summon a jail, you put people in, they become criminals, you can summon a cop, give him a gun, and he'll shoot the criminals coming out of the jail.

if the game doesn't do all of these things then it's not worthy of all this buzz and we are talking about it just because we suddenly decided that normal games are grey and dulls (since everytime someone move a critic about it someone has to pop out and go "WHAT DO YOU WANT? BETTER GRAPHICS,BETTER GUNPLAY?)
i believe that the game can summon everything (someone was making fun of it,but it's true... google is a database of everything,if google can do it,there is no reason a game can't,especialy when it only has nouns... if anything i feel sorry for the poor sprite artist who has to draw so many thing) i don't believe everything will interact as i expect for the simple reason that i haven't seen it
and really it's hard to be excited when all the developer did was this and a tower defense game... i'll be fair i would be more excited if there was a bigger name behind the game but as it stands it just makes me more bitter

(i know,i know there are probably tons of bad grammar mistakes... have fun?)

No sprites, they're polygons. Sprites would be ridiculously impractical. Did you just bring up Google into this? I'm trying to play nice, but you're giving me a headache.

Nocebo

Teasel said:
Who are you to decide if something is worth all this buzz or not? The gameplay shown in the videos and from anecdotes is enough to get excited about. Most, if not all, of us are not excited about the tag line or the developer pitch. We're excited about actual accounts from the game, stuff we know is 100% there.

Teasel

The game gives you the opportunity to TRY these things. Isn't that an intriguing concept in and of itself? To experiment with things your imagination conjures up and seeing their potential interactions. It may not always turn out the way you expect it to, and there will be unexpected surprises for everyone, guaranteed. If you're one to dismiss the game's ingenuity based on stuff like differences in crocodile behaviour between your mind and in the game, well frankly, you can suck the fun out of anything. Nothing is going to please you.

Your last point was actually tested and yes. You can summon a jail, you put people in, they become criminals, you can summon a cop, give him a gun, and he'll shoot the criminals coming out of the jail.
well i guess you might be right... nice to know that works

No sprites, they're polygons. Sprites would be ridiculously impractical. Did you just bring up Google into this? I'm trying to play nice, but you're giving me a headache.
i'm sorry i didn't know they were polygons what i really meant to say is "it must be hard to create that many objects" and what i meant with the google comparison is that i'm not impressed by the fact that the game has a huge database of everything or that i think that is impossible to do because it sounds like a normal thing to me,sure it was never done in a game before but that's because there was never any need for it,not because it was hard to do (not saying it's easy but it just takes a shitload of time)

Nocebo

Teasel said:
well i guess you might be right... nice to know that works
I'm wondering if you actually read some of the hands-on impressions in this thread.

Most interactions between living objects are pretty basic, but does it need to be anymore than that? This isn't a "the sims create your own life like story" type game. This is a puzzle game and the main object is to retrieve starrites. While having the option to dick around.
and what i meant with the google comparison is that i'm not impressed by the fact that the game has a huge database of everything because it sounds like a normal thing to me
So basically what you're saying is that google put everyting on the internet there? Like every website was put there by google? How is that a valid comparison?
And how is it not hard to build a system with relations and inheritence like that and actually make it work? By your logic nothing is truly hard, it just takes a shitload of time. That's a bullshit argument. The hard part is sticking to it and pulling through. Nothing programming wise is hard by your logic.

Nocebo said:
You spawn the items yourself and you can spawn as many as you want right?
In a world where the DS has infinite RAM and processing power, maybe.
Bork Bork said:
No sprites, they're polygons.
Weelll, this game (like Drawn to Life's character) seems to straddle the line like few games do. Textures on very simple polygonal shapes, so they're like paper dolls with joints. Behind the scenes it's probably much closer to standard sprite work than standard polygonal modeling.

Teasel

Nocebo said:
I'm wondering if you actually read some of the hands-on impressions in this thread.

i have seen all the video but missed most of the written hands-on,shame on me?

So basically what you're saying is that google put everyting on the internet there? Like every website was put there by google? How is that a valid comparison?
And how is it not hard to build a system with relations and inheritence like that and actually make it work? By your logic nothing is truly hard, it just takes a shitload of time. That's a bullshit argument. The hard part is sticking to it and pulling through. Nothing programming wise is hard by your logic.

i'm just saying that a big database of everything in itself is not impressive so i don't get why people find it unbelievable that the game has everything,they should go "wow that poor guy who had to create all those object must had it hard... hope he had any help" instead of "THAT'S IMPOSSIBLE/AWESOME" if you don't like google any dictionary software would fit the example too

Jackson

Teasel said:
i don't believe everything will interact as i expect for the simple reason that i haven't seen it

I think it's only fair that if you're going to link to a review on 1up for Drawn to Life (our very first game) that got a C+, why don't you link to the second game we did right after it which got an A- on the very same site.

And with that I'll say no more on the subject and let you judge the game however you want. :)

tabsina

Teasel said:
What i meant with the google comparison is that i'm not impressed by the fact that the game has a huge database of everything or that i think that is impossible to do because it sounds like a normal thing to me,sure it was never done in a game before but that's because there was never any need for it,not because it was hard to do (not saying it's easy but it just takes a shitload of time)

I think the problem here is that you have no idea how technology works... at all

To start you off.. google didn't make all of the websites on the internet, nor are they hosting them in a database

If you want a relationship with google.. it'd be a game like this

If you type "Cat" it'll give you a list of all the games that contain the object "cat", you then go and play those games in order to see and interact with the cat.. That is what google does with websites (in the simplest form)

Teasel

ok i get it,the google example doesn't work because google isn't exactly a huge database of thing... as i said if i can't use google let me pick a software dictionary

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Teasel said:
i'm just saying that a big database of everything in itself is not impressive so i don't get why people find it unbelievable that the game has everything,they should go "wow that poor guy who had to create all those object must had it hard... hope he had any help" instead of "THAT'S IMPOSSIBLE/AWESOME" if you don't like google any dictionary software would fit the example too
I think you're not getting how it works.
Having tens of thousands of objects, each one with its unique features, art assets and qualities IS hard to accomplish.
It's not like you can put an infinite amount of monkeys in a room and have them compile a database in no time, nor make it automatically (like Google indexing web pages), so your comparison makes no sense.

EDIT: late for that Google comparison, but yeah... even software dictionaries require a huge amount of work.

tabsina

Hey Jackson, since you are here (hopefully still), will Australia be seeing this game in Fall too? or should i be preordering from overseas?

Nocebo

Teasel said:
Do the words in the dictionary interact with eachother in any way? Is the dictionary interactive at all to a significant level? Scribblenauts is more than just a database with lifeless visual representations of words. Your comparisson is still invalid.
I'm sorry but you obviously have no idea about what a game is.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
tabsina said:
Hey Jackson, since you are here (hopefully still), will Australia be seeing this game in Fall too? or should i be preordering from overseas?
that'd be up to the publisher, I believe.

I'd just preorder from Play-Asia or something, if I were you. It's what I'm going to do.

Nocebo said:
Since most of us haven't played the game at all, and the non-Jackson others have played it very little, it's hard to get into much detail. But I think I basically agree with what he's saying. Starting a database where things have certain relations to other things, or classes of things have certain relations to classes of other things, is not a far-out concept. Actually filling it in is the time-consuming task, but each individual one had to be easy enough to take care of in a fairly short amount of time if they hoped to get done within a lifetime.

I don't mean to say that my own work on making graphs of game sales from a database is anywhere near as complex as Scribblenauts, but once I got the basics laid out, adding new games and new data for existing games every week is more time-consuming than difficult. HOWEVER, if I had to create an original animated image for every game, that would be considerably more work--and take more creativity.

As for the further-back question of whether things will react as we expect them to... well, probably not in all cases. Trying to get any item to interact with any other item the way we expect seems incredibly more troublesome than making the items in the first place. Assuming there's a Scribblenauts 2 someday, though, that seems an area they could be continuously improving on in the meantime.
tabsina said:
I think the problem here is that you have no idea how technology works... at all

To start you off.. google didn't make all of the websites on the internet, nor are they hosting them in a database
Google didn't make all the websites on the Internet, but neither did 5TH Cell create all the words in the language--they're just making use of them. More manually than Google, certainly. And Google does keep the sites in a database; otherwise it wouldn't be able to tell you which sites contained which words, or show you a cached version of a site. If Google had a massive storage medium to work with and no care for copyright infringement, they could release an offline Webblenauts, where you type in any URL and have a page drop down.
Nocebo said:
Do the words in the dictionary interact with eachother in any way? Is the dictionary interactive at all to a significant level? Scribblenauts is more than just a database with lifeless visual representations of words.
Isn't that exactly what Teasel said, though? That the "dictionary" portion is believable (since we can all see that such things as dictionaries exist), but the additional representative portion takes an impressive extra amount of work?

Teasel

Jocchan said:
Having tens of thousands of objects, each one with its unique features, art assets and qualities IS hard to accomplish.
and that's why i said i'm skeptic on those two thing i highlighted,if the game can pull it off then it will be worth of the hype but until i don't see this happen i'll be on the other side of the river
i'm just saying that the thousand of object part isn't hard to do so i don't get why people are impressed about it and that the art assets part just required a big amount of work from the 3D modeller part

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Jackson said:
worldwide release dude :D
I'm holding you to that. If you're wrong, you owe me a complimentary copy of Scribblenauts. ;)

Nocebo

JoshuaJSlone said:
Since most of us haven't played the game at all, and the non-Jackson others have played it very little, it's hard to get into much detail. But I think I basically agree with what he's saying. Starting a database where things have certain relations to other things, or classes of things have certain relations to classes of other things, is not a far-out concept. Actually filling it in is the time-consuming task, but each individual one had to be easy enough to take care of in a fairly short amount of time if they hoped to get done within a lifetime.
Unfortunately relations in a piece of software a little more complex than that. When you're adding an object that has connections to countless other objects you're not just adding a single object you're potentially introducing countless of bugs. Just take the bunny and elephant bugs for instance.

Isn't that exactly what Teasel said, though? That the "dictionary" portion is believable (since we can all see that such things as dictionaries exist), but the additional representative portion takes an impressive extra amount of work?
I'm sorry but I'm naturally thinking about the context of a game here and with a game interactions and the objects themselves go hand in hand. You can't have an object without interaction, not in this game.

At any rate the whole argument is made invalid by its premise. According to teasel the game doesn't deserve the hype for the "dictionary portion" when in fact the hype isn't about the "dictionary portion" in the first place. It IS about the interactions.

tabsina

JoshuaJSlone said:
Google didn't make all the websites on the Internet, but neither did 5TH Cell create all the words in the language--they're just making use of them. More manually than Google, certainly. And Google does keep the sites in a database; otherwise it wouldn't be able to tell you which sites contained which words, or show you a cached version of a site. If Google had a massive storage medium to work with and no care for copyright infringement, they could release an offline Webblenauts, where you type in any URL and have a page drop down.

I didn't mean what you thought I meant, google doesn't create those caches from scratch, they dump the contents of websites into their almighty servers.. and I think you know that when I said that, I wasn't linking it to the creation of the words by 5th Cell, as the game is not just a compilation of ~50,000 words, you yourself touched on the other work that would go into it.

Again, your last sentence falls into what I mentioned before.. it is not impressive that google can do an offline version of all those websites (please don't think about this point too much, i am not saying google isn't amazing in other things, i'm saying that them hosting all the content just shows they have a lot of server space), because they had the help of hundreds of millions of people to create those websites.

Anyways.. I think he got the point, even if you didn't.. I have made a reference further up on what google linking to websites is like in a game world (that game would also hold the information of other games)

Jackson said:
worldwide release dude :D

Awesome.

Teasel

Nocebo said:
Unfortunately relations in a piece of software a little more complex than that. When you're adding an object that has connections to countless other objects you're not just adding a single object you're potentially introducing countless of bugs. Just take the bunny and elephant bugs for instance.

I'm sorry but I'm naturally thinking about the context of a game here and with a game interactions and the objects themselves go hand in hand. You can't have an object without interaction, not in this game.

At any rate the whole argument is made invalid by its premise. According to teasel the game doesn't deserve the hype for the "dictionary portion" when in fact the hype isn't about the "dictionary portion" in the first place. It IS about the interactions.
i did never meant that! of course the hype is about the interactions but nobody seems to be putting any sort of focus into that, joy*stiq test was to see if 10 words were in the game,not to see if some of the example i made on top of my head happened,people go around excited by the fact that you can summon god and have him fight ctulhu and nobody cares that werewolf turns into wolf if the full moon is around

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Teasel said:
and that's why i said i'm skeptic on those two thing i highlighted,if the game can pull it off then it will be worth of the hype but until i don't see this happen i'll be on the other side of the river
You can't expect everything to behave exactly like it would in real life, but objects are definitely going to work as realistically as possible.
Also, a complete simulation of real life isn't the point of this game: the point is allowing you to solve puzzles in any way you like. If you spawn a dog and get upset because he doesn't sit down when you ask him in the microphone (stupid example, I know), you're doing it wrong.

Teasel said:
i'm just saying that the thousand of object part isn't hard to do so i don't get why people are impressed about it and that the art assets part just required a big amount of work from the 3D modeller part
It's not hard to do if you proceed methodically (they're using inheritance to simplify work), but it's still extremely time-consuming, especially for a small team.

Jocchan said:
It's not like you can put an infinite amount of monkeys in a room and have them compile a database in no time, nor make it automatically (like Google indexing web pages), so your comparison makes no sense.

EDIT: late for that Google comparison, but yeah... even software dictionaries require a huge amount of work.

I'm on board the hype train for Scribblenauts, but I'm really doubting that each one will have unique features and qualities to it. I think you're going to see a lot of objects that do the same thing and a lot of objects that won't behave or allow you to interact with them as you expect.

Based on how I understand they constructed their database of objects, there is going to be a lot of limitations but I still believe we'll see something that has plenty of freedom and imagination. The problem is when you promise something to the level of your imagination is the limits, you're going to find that people will find limitations before it reaches their imagination and that's where people will be disappointed. It will be your imagination but constrained to their rules and limitations.

tabsina

Teasel said:
i did never meant that! of course the hype is about the interactions but nobody seems to be putting any sort of focus into that, joy*stiq test was to see if 10 words were in the game,not to see if some of the example i made on top of my head happened,people go around excited by the fact that you can summon god and nobody cares that werewolf turns into wolf if the full moon is around

I don't think the journalists could have guessed the exact things you were thinking, and I do to some extent agree that it would have been nice to see people test out interactions more than just testing the database. but in their messing around there was a lot of evidence of interaction, whether it be a Lumberjack knowing to pick up an axe and then chopping down the tree for you, or characters dancing while near keyboard cat. While it wasn't anything from the list of things you wanted to see, these were examples of interaction

Nocebo

Teasel said:
i didn't never meant that! of course the hype is about the interactions but nobody seems to be putting any sort of focus into that, joy*stiq test was to see if 10 words were in the game,not to see if some of the example i made on top of my head happened
You have been reading the wrong impressions then. What about the penguin in the top hat riding the unicycle? Putting a moon in the sky and having it turn night and having villains turn into werewolves. Reanimating a corpse with a battery and a piece of wire. Traveling through time and riding dinosaurs, etc.
There's glue in the game, GLUE, use your imagination. Come on! There are enough interactions to be excited about.

Teasel

Nocebo said:
You have been reading the wrong impressions then. What about the penguin in the top hat riding the unicycle? Putting a moon in the sky and having it turn night and having villains turn into werewolves. Reanimating a corpse with a battery and a piece of wire. Traveling through time and riding dinosaurs, etc.
There's glue in the game, GLUE, use your imagination. Come on! There are enough interactions to be excited about.
umm i just posted the bit about the werewolf and did the battery thing really happened? where did you read that?

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Teasel said:
umm i just posted the bit about the werewolf and did the battery thing really happened? where did you read that?
Yes, both happen. They were both confirmed in some articles here and there.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Marty Chinn said:
I'm on board the hype train for Scribblenauts, but I'm really doubting that each one will have unique features and qualities to it. I think you're going to see a lot of objects that do the same thing and a lot of objects that won't behave or allow you to interact with them as you expect.

Based on how I understand they constructed their database of objects, there is going to be a lot of limitations but I still believe we'll see something that has plenty of freedom and imagination. The problem is when you promise something to the level of your imagination is the limits, you're going to find that people will find limitations before it reaches their imagination and that's where people will be disappointed. It will be your imagination but constrained to their rules and limitations.
Well, of course you won't be able to do everything with the objects you spawn (ie. if you spawn a pen and paper you probably won't be able to draw a penis, put the drawing inside an envelope, mail it to IGN and have the game show you Matt Casamassina's reaction when he opens it) as in real life, but you'll still be able to use them in some basic way, and if this isn't enough then you're probably having ridiculous expectations.

Teasel said:
oh that's cool! see this is wrong! i should know about stuff like this,not that god and ctulhu punch each other! :/
What about gluing them together? I want to see that happen.

Teasel

i have seen the moon turns werewolf into wolf bit (i even mentioned it in my previous post) i was talking about the "revive a corpse with a battery" bit... do you have a link to that?

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Teasel said:
i have seen the moon turns werewolf into wolf bit (i even mentioned it in my previous post) i was talking about the "revive a corpse with a battery" bit... do you have a link to that?
I think it was just described in some preview :/

GDGF

Soothsayer
Need more input.

I wonder if there are any more E3 videos floating around out there that we haven't seen yet.

tabsina

Teasel said:

Jocchan said:
I think it was just described in some preview :/

It was from someone on the first page

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=16165733&postcount=23

bounchfx said:
Tried this today... Holy awesome. It does everything but copywrited and vulgar stuff.

It did shrimp, lighter, pool, zombie, pirate, ninja, ping pong ball, grill, rollercoaster, lanyard, sword, chainsaw, trampoline, lawnmower, shiruken..

You can summon a corpse, battery, and wire, attach them and it will bring the corpse back to life . I also put raw meat on the grill and it cooked it!

If anyone has any requests let me know here and I'll try to test it tomorrow.

Jocchan said:
Well, of course you won't be able to do everything with the objects you spawn (ie. if you spawn a pen and paper you probably won't be able to draw a penis, put the drawing inside an envelope, mail it to IGN and have the game show you Matt Casamassina's reaction when he opens it) as in real life, but you'll still be able to use them in some basic way, and if this isn't enough then you're probably having ridiculous expectations.

What about gluing them together? I want to see that happen.

Let's not over exaggerate here. You're taking it to an extreme, and what I'm talking about is I'm willing to bet basic behaviors that you expect to happen won't happen and that is where people will get disappointed. You'll try things that you think should happen and it won't work. We're not going to get those complaints till the game gets released, but you can bet there will be things that are fairly simple that should work but won't.

xfactor

Banned
Teasel said:
oh that's cool! see this is wrong! i should know about stuff like this,not that god and ctulhu punch each other! :/

Dude, there're more. There's a story how someone tied a meat to a rod and dangling it in front of a dinosaur to make it move while you ride it. IGN mentioned about police cop going after a donut, and we've seem video of Maxwell dropping a toaster into the water to fry the shark too, or how a god turns into a zombie god after a zombie bite him, video of Medusa turning people into stone by looking at 'em, typing balloons to the whale and then have a fan to blow it into the water etc.

The hype isn't just being able to spawn anything you wrote. Its the interaction among the objects that allows you to get the starite in the first place. That's the point behind the game.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Marty Chinn said:
Let's not over exaggerate here. You're taking it to an extreme, and what I'm talking about is I'm willing to bet basic behaviors that you expect to happen won't happen and that is where people will get disappointed. You'll try things that you think should happen and it won't work. We're not going to get those complaints till the game gets released, but you can bet there will be things that are fairly simple that should work but won't.
Yes, I acknowledge my example was (willingly) exaggerate, but as long as every preview seems to confirm almost every basic behaviour being there then I have no complaints: the only complaint I remember was about catapults being unable to throw anything but the rocks that the game probably considers their "bullets" (when you spawn a gun, unlimited bullets are already in there, so I suppose it's the same for catapults... it's a necessary simplification because having to manage the bullet count for any weapon would be overkill).

Jocchan said:
Yes, I acknowledge my example was (willingly) exaggerate, but as long as every preview confirms almost every basic behaviour seems to be there: the only complaint I remember was about catapults being unable to throw anything but the rocks that the game probably considers their "bullets" (when you spawn a gun, unlimited bullets are already in there, so I suppose it's the same for catapults... it's a necessary simplification because having to manage the bullet count for any weapon would be overkill).

The thing is we're seeing a limited hands on time of a subset of things that people try on the spot. I think there will be quite a bit of flexibility and interaction in there, but I also think when you have over 10,000 objects, you're not going to get them all to behave even in a basic fashion exactly the way people expect them to. There are going to be limitations and we should expect that. Once people get their hands on it more extensively, ie when it's released, we will then start to see the limitations of the game. I think it will still be awesome with a lot of stuff that you can do though, but realistically even some basic things are going to slide. Imagine what it must take to just beta test this. That aspect alone probably means they have limitations even on a basic level since you just don't have the time to uniquely define that many objects behavior. You would literally be coding, testing, and debugging the behavior of over 10,000 unique objects which we all know isn't going to happen.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Marty Chinn said:
The thing is we're seeing a limited hands on time of a subset of things that people try on the spot. I think there will be quite a bit of flexibility and interaction in there, but I also think when you have over 10,000 objects, you're not going to get them all to behave even in a basic fashion exactly the way people expect them to. There are going to be limitations and we should expect that. Once people get their hands on it more extensively, ie when it's released, we will then start to see the limitations of the game. I think it will still be awesome with a lot of stuff that you can do though, but realistically even some basic things are going to slide. Imagine what it must take to just beta test this. That aspect alone probably means they have limitations even on a basic level since you just don't have the time to uniquely define that many objects behavior. You would literally be coding, testing, and debugging the behavior of over 10,000 unique objects which we all know isn't going to happen.
Yes, of course. You can't possibly test every interaction between every combination of objects, and unless you're lucky enough to notice some idiosyncrasies during beta tests they're of course going to be in the final game.

Top Bottom