• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seaman coming to 3DS. Nintendo looking to revive other old third party franchises.

Conor 419

Banned
Absolutely colossal news, I was not prepared for this today. The whole area I'm in at the moment is absolutely buzzing about this, at least 46 people have told me they're pre-ordering a 3DS as a result of this announcement, a further fifty or so have said they're cancelling their Vita pre-orders and trading in their PS3's.

Golly!

Paznos

I loved Seaman on the Dreamcast it will be interesting to see what they do with it on the 3DS.

Sony get Shenmue!

Absolutely colossal news, I was not prepared for this today. The whole area I'm in at the moment is absolutely buzzing about this, at least 46 people have told me they're pre-ordering a 3DS as a result of this announcement, a further fifty or so have said they're cancelling their Vita pre-orders and trading in their PS3's.

Golly!

Why you lying dawg?

In a feature about Nintendo, Nikkei mentions a plan from the company to revive other publisher's titles on the 3DS as part of a strategy to bring new strong titles to the system. The paper mentions Seaman as an example of this, but does not provide specifics.

Revive Megaman Legends 3 please.

Now that's an interesting - and typically Nintendo - approach.

Planning to work with third parties on their "dormant" franchises has a couple of benefits:

-- It's likely to be less expensive - in terms of co-development funding, or promotional funding - than trying to secure exclusives from currently-popular franchises;
-- There's room to experiment more than there would be with a current, refined series with a weight of player expectation;
-- It's good for the company's credibility with gamers to be seen embracing older series and bringing them back (though this becomes a potential issue if the games don't live up to expectations), and;
-- If they can hit it big with a revived franchise, any agreements made with third parties would likely put Nintendo in a strong position to keep the revitalised series on their platforms.

Good stuff.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Just googled seaman.

seaman.jpg

What the fuck is this about?

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
In a feature about Nintendo, Nikkei mentions a plan from the company to revive other publisher's titles on the 3DS as part of a strategy to bring new strong titles to the system. The paper mentions Seaman as an example of this, but does not provide specifics.

Maybe Nintendo will revive all those first-party IPs Sony themselves don't care about anymore, like Medievil :(

beje

Banned
Jet Set Radio + Jet Set Radio Future bundle in 3D with the ability of drawing custom graffiti and my life would be complete

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Medievil was amazing. I jumped from my seat last E3 when they mentioned "Medievil"..... just to find later that it was actually a shitty medieval move game.

LuchaShaq

Banned
First game that has me even 1% excited about the 3ds. If it was a sequel/new stuff added besides lol3d it would actually be cool.

As of now 40$ N64 ports are insane but so are Dreamcast ports.

Sadist

I guess the whole Nintendo wants to revive 3rd party IP's is worth a new thread huh?

Edit: Mods think alike.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I'm starting thinkint there will be a possibility to have the fish with a Mii's face...and I don't know how to feel :p

Galang

Banned
Reviving third party franchises? Interesting strategy, hopefully it means a new Jet Set Radio + Panzer Dragoon...

Emitan

From what I know of the game, it doesn't seem like a full retail game. Isn't it just a bizarre fish man talking to you? I'd buy it on eShop.

Jackano

Seaman, what a great curiosity I will certainly play this time!

Reviving 3rd parties franchises (after doing so with its own franchises - Kid Icarus, Sin & Punishment, Punch-Out!! or Pikmin) is a strong point for Nintendo in order to regain some gamers love for sure.

Sadist

So, what would work on 3DS?

Sega
- Seaman
- Skies of Arcadia
- Jet Set Radio
- Alex Kidd
- Shenmue

Capcom
- Onimusha
- Ghost's & Ghoul's
- Gargoyle's Quest
- Maximo

Poyunch

Seaman should just replace the old OS. Whenever you turn on the 3DS you'll be welcomed by your smartass fish-frog-man.

I was surprised by the Andriasang article saying that this sold well, but according to the Wikipedia article it was the third best-selling Dreamcast game in Japan:

In Japan, the Dreamcast version of Seaman has sold 399,342 copies as of February 1, 2004, making it the third best-selling Dreamcast game in the region at the time.[4] The PlayStation 2 version of the game has sold 305,632 in Japan as of November 2, 2008
I always thought this game bombed, but I guess not?

...I would also like to take this opportunity to futilely wish for a new Ecco the Dolphin.

GhostSeed

EDIT: Going off the post above I not sure which numbers are right.

Seaman is one of, if not the best selling games on Dreamcast in Japan FYI.

Japanese Dreamcast Game Sales

From Nov. 27, 1998 - Aug. 31, 2001

01. Seaman (Sega) - 539,367
02. Sonic Adventure (Sega) - 475,152
03. Biohazard CODE: Veronica (Capcom) - 469,813
04. Sega Rally 2 (Sega) - 421,836
05. Shenme (Sega) - 392,111
06. Virtua Fighter 3tb (Sega) - 373,749
07. J League Pro Soccer Club oh Tsukurou! (Sega) - 369,116
08. Soul Calibur (Namco) - 359,346
09. Virtua Striker 2 Ver. 2000.1 (SEGA) - 319,825
10. Sakura Taien 3 (Sega) - 314,597