• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seattle police officer pepper sprays non-threatening protesters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wreav

Banned
Seems awfully similar to the campus pepper spraying incident a few years back.

OgbCQFj.jpg

Video

GIFv

Guy is a teacher, was talking to his mother on the phone, and cops pepper sprayed him for brandishing a possible weapon. He's suing the city for half a mil.

This is the 2nd ridiculous incident I've seen by a female Seattle police officer in the last 2 days. Disturbing trend. If you are too afraid of the public to afford them basic rights, you are unfit for duty, end of story.

studyguy

That image is something surreal.

How is everyone in that immediate area not fucking on the ground after that. The spray went fucking EVERYWHERE. Even back at her.

Wreav

Banned
That image is something surreal.

How is everyone in that immediate area not fucking on the ground after that. The spray went fucking EVERYWHERE. Even back at her.

Looks like a can of roach killer, to be honest.

I always hope that if I'm an innocent bystander that gets peppered, I can maintain the wherewithall to go "rrrrrrrAAAAAAA-aaaaaid?!"

This is the 2nd ridiculous incident I've seen by a female Seattle police officer in the last 2 days. Disturbing trend. If you are too afraid of the public to afford them basic rights, you are unfit for duty, end of story.
Does it really matter that it's a female officer?

Chariot

Holy shit, that woman is crazy. I think, she didn't even specifically aimed at the teacher, she isn't really looking at him she just spray wild around screaming "STOP IT STOP IT!" Maybe she was on drugs or something.

tbm24

In highschool a girl in my class had pepper spray in her bag and it started leaking. It KO'd the whole room. I can't imagine what that guy went through getting sprayed directly in the face. I'd be afraid of how loud I'd be screaming and yelling, who knows what liberties they'd take then.

I was in a club once, where someone on the other side got pepper sprayed. Everyone on my side started to tear up and cough, even though we were some 100 feet away.

I can only imagine how much damage that shit would do, sprayed directly to your face. Police probably have a more potent version than the consumer one, too, I'll bet.

It clearly wasn't from being threatened. She had a wide spray. She was just out of control. Even by the way she was yelling. No other officer was acting like her.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
That cop is getting so fucking fired.

She looks like a fucken lunatic in that video.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Sure she is.

Surrreeeeeeeee.

In all seriousness, she should probably go to prison. You think I'm joking but I'm not. Officers need to be held to a higher standard when it comes to unprovoked assault, not a lower one.

mr2xxx

Banned
It isn't her fault, she obviously wasn't getting the two weeks of vacation time she was promised and decided to take matters into her own hands.

In highschool a girl in my class had pepper spray in her bag and it started leaking. It KO'd the whole room. I can't imagine what that guy went through getting sprayed directly in the face. I'd be afraid of how loud I'd be screaming and yelling, who knows what liberties they'd take then.

I've been pepper sprayed. It's not pleasant. Clears up the sinuses, though.

kmax

In all seriousness, she should probably go to prison. You think I'm joking but I'm not. Officers need to be held to higher standard when it comes to unprovoked assault with a weapon.

You're right, but when even killers with a badge gets rewarded with paid vacations, the odds are pretty bleak.

commedieu

Banned
In all seriousness, she should probably go to prison. You think I'm joking but I'm not. Officers need to be held to a higher standard when it comes to unprovoked assault, not a lower one.

Need to be, sure. But, its a nation wide problem with out of control police having 0 accountability.
And these are just the ones that make threads.

Imagine the 1000's of people that aren't even able to sue.

Lawsuits aren't accountability, when Tax payers are paying.

Holy shit, that woman is crazy. I think, she didn't even specifically aimed at the teacher, she isn't really looking at him she just spray wild around screaming "STOP IT STOP IT!" Maybe she was on drugs or something.

To be fair, she's shouting "Step back."

Not that it adds anything to defend her actual action. edit: she sprays people like 20 feet away and standing still. What the heck.

kirblar

Does it really matter that it's a female officer?
I think there's a genuine question of whether someone of that size/stature should even be in that sort of position where physicality is a risk at any moment (regardless of gender) and whether that size difference between the officer and the rest of the population is feeding into the overreactions we've seen.

Wreav

Banned
Half a mil? Holy hell. I need to start going to protests.
To be fair, in Seattle that's about 3 months of rent.

I think there's a genuine question of whether someone of that size/stature should even be in that sort of position where physicality is a risk at any moment (regardless of gender) and whether that size difference between the officer and the rest of the population is feeding into the overreactions we've seen.

Ding ding ding

TS-08

But the OP didn't say "small officer."

I agree with the size part, it just seemed sort of place in the OP to say there was a disturbing trend (which, I guess a trend can be two) of this happening with female cops.

Wreav

Banned
I agree with the size part, it just seemed sort of place in the OP to say there was a disturbing trend (which, I guess a trend can be two) of this happening with female cops.
My poorly attempted point was their stature and feeling over threatened because of it, not because of gender inequality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom