• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seattle police officer pepper sprays non-threatening protesters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Out of curiosity, how intense is the pepper spray cops have on a job like this? I imagine pretty heavy duty?

I have a lot of experience with pepper spray. (Former correctional officer at AZ state prison)

First, she's got what we nicknamed "The Devastator" size. Those we didn't normally carry unless we did a cell extraction. Because guess what? It gets everyone. Big spray pattern.

But to answer your question its probably just the same strength as what a civilian could buy. Could even be weaker. Depends on the department.

BTW, when we had guys that went all pepper spray happy like that they got bitched at from everyone. That shit sucks. Tear gas was easier to deal with cuz it doesn't take too long to feel better once you're out of the cloud. Fuckin pepper spray ruins your whole day.

sangreal

Anyone who panics like that when faced with calm, non-violent protesters has no business being a cop.

Exactly. Even ignoring the random passerby she decided to douse, everyone was calm except for the officer escalating the situation

e: watching from the other angle, I guess she wanted to join in on the unwarranted pepper spraying going on with the other crowd behind her

Hale-XF11

This is why the people need civilian oversight committees across the whole country. These types of incidents need to stop being swept under the rug. It's waaaaay past time for accountability.

Cru

This guy probably doesn't have a problem with it.

tumblr_luzhxwVez41qi68bto1_500.png

Valnen

Dude deserves way more than 500k for that. God damn. When you fuck up that badly you should be forced to set them up for life.

wetwired

I don't think he deserves half a million for cop'ing (no pun intended) a face full of pepperspray but I hope he gets it out of principle.

Jag

Dude deserves way more than 500k for that. God damn. When you fuck up that badly you should be forced to set them up for life.

Except it is the people that pay. Money doesn't solve the problem. Holding cops accountable will.

Will M

If i was one of the nearby policermans, i'd be pretty pissed. That shit burns even if you're not in the spray cone.

Axial

This guy probably doesn't have a problem with it.

tumblr_luzhxwVez41qi68bto1_500.png
I remember how nonchalantly and casually that fucking douche hosed these protesters. People like that guy need to have their eyelids stapled to their foreheads and a can of police grade pepper spray emptied into their eyes.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
"Stop being blind! STOP BEING BLIND! Ok, fuck you. You're going down."

Skunkers

Except it is the people that pay. Money doesn't solve the problem. Holding cops accountable will.

In fairness, in a system like this where cops are not held accountable, making the city lose lawsuits is one of the few courses of action that might start getting the cops held accountable. The city doesn't like losing money, when you start denting the budget like that higher-ups are eventually gonna want someone's ass.

Irnbru

Oh c'mon, Stinkles.

Plenty of good places on the Eastside in Issaquah and Sammamish.

Besides, I visit Seattle but I would never live there. Too many PD stories.

Racism is pretty alive and well here man, just had a national black accountants event last night at the play about slavery, one of the executives from my company was legit asked by these old white people also attending the play if he could direct them where their seats where and where the bathrooms were. Legit, surround by execs from other companies too. We all couldn't fucking believe it. On topic: Fuck these cops man. Makes me feel unsafe to be out at night.

Racism is pretty alive and well here man, just had a national black accountants event last night at the play about slavery, one of the executives from my company was legit asked by these old white people also attending the play if he could direct them where their seats where and where the bathrooms were. Legit, surround by execs from other companies too. We all couldn't fucking believe it.

That's awful.

zeemumu

If anything, the fact that he put it to his head should have been an indicator that she wasn't in any danger.

That said, the way that photo is shot looks weird. Like an ad for pepper spray.

Wreav

Banned
Racism is pretty alive and well here man, just had a national black accountants event last night at the play about slavery, one of the executives from my company was legit asked by these old white people also attending the play if he could direct them where their seats where and where the bathrooms were. Legit, surround by execs from other companies too. We all couldn't fucking believe it. On topic: Fuck these cops man. Makes me feel unsafe to be out at night.

Wow, that's terrible.

Two Words

Literally 2 reasons: she feared for her own safety because a tall black man was on a cell phone, or she's a psychopath.

Either way, she should be fucked, but you know how the US police system works. She's probably on a beach right now.
The guy wasn't black.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom