• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seattle police officer pepper sprays non-threatening protesters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wreav

Banned
Holy shit, why would she do that?!?!

Literally 2 reasons: she feared for her own safety because a tall black man was on a cell phone, or she's a psychopath.

Either way, she should be fucked, but you know how the US police system works. She's probably on a beach right now.

Wreav

Banned
Do you think it's at all possible that Seattle cops are abusing legal weed and getting paranoid as fuck? Cause after watching that 2nd video...

Mononoke

Banned
It feels like all these problems end up coming back to Police Unions (or that is where solutions are being stopped by). Police doing corrupt and illegal things, is in itself a disturbing trend. But one has to think, apart of that is a result of them knowing the Union/courts will back them up and they won't be held accountable for their actions (or there is no consequences for their actions). Which I have to think, emboldens them to do shit. Or maybe that is a wrong assumption to make.

Even if that's not true, every time we bring up police corruption, it eventually ends up being the Unions that are stopping any kind of justice or change. So what the fuck is the solution?

I assume most people on here are progressive/liberals (if I'm wrong, oops my apologies. And for the record, I'm not saying that as a bad thing). More along the lines of, I assume most people here are pro-union (given that, workers getting exploited without unions is awful). But I don't get how you solve this issue of some Unions becoming these terrible things that seem to protect people in their unions (no questions asked) even when they shouldn't be protected.

Or am I looking at this wrong? I guess I'm just not sure how does a city/people overhaul a Union? And how is there not like, clauses/regulations on Unions, to prevent them from protecting anyone that violates the law? Shouldn't there be like, stipulations to protections? Like if you do something illegal, then the Union can't protect you?

Fusebox

Banned
That second vid.

Guy gets sprayed, can't see where he's going so they spray again and then fucking tackle him.

This shit is out of control America...

Wreav

Banned
Or am I looking at this wrong? I guess I'm just not sure how does a city/people overhaul a Union? And how is there not like, clauses/regulations on Unions, to prevent them from protecting anyone that violates the law? Shouldn't there be like, stipulations to protections? Like if you do something illegal, then the Union can't protect you?

All I know is that people who have never been part of a union hate them, and people that have tasted union life love them.

The correct answer is probably somewhere in the middle.

Jag

She's a Poison Dwarf

Poison Dwarf
A selfish, untrustworthy, deeply obnoxious or evil person of diminutive size, whose ostensibly unthreatening appearance allows them to fulfil their predisposition for causing unprovoked pain and suffering.

cdyhybrid

Does this kind of thing still make front page of the newpapers or is just business as usual these days?

Here's the current front page of the Seattle Times website. The other SPD incident is there, but I don't see this.

ab1X4I9.png

Mononoke

Banned
All I know is that people who have never been part of a union hate them, and people that have tasted union life love them.

The correct answer is probably somewhere in the middle.

To be clear I wasn't talking about all Unions or being anti-Union. I assume these ones are anomalies? Either way, more so I was just asking how you reform or overhaul a union that has gotten out of control. Or what are the regulations to prevent them from doing these things...

This issue with police is a major problem and yet that Union is one of the major things standing in the way of reform and justice.

Jag

They spray that shit like I spray mosquito spray to kill fucking bugs. They view citizens as bugs.

dejay

Banned
Don't feed gremlins after midnight people.

Anyone who panics like that when faced with calm, non-violent protesters has no business being a cop.

This. She no doubt has a sidearm too. I like how the spray drifted back into her face - hope it stung.

impact

Banned
Lady looks like a moron and should lose her job.

How hard is it to be a cop btw? Is their training program hard?

sqwarlock

It wasn't the only incidence of pepper spraying getting out of control that day:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZ6s-U1dKuk

Look at that guy who's blinded @ 30 seconds in and what they do to him.

Holy shit, fuck those cops. The guy was clearly in pain and struggling to find his away across the road. To not only keep spraying him, but pull him back to the line of bikes and throw his ass to the ground? That shit's despicable.

In the video it doesn't look to me like she's targeting him specifically as much as she's just laying down a blanket spray on everyone around, including herself.

Either way she's a fucking idiot who needs to find a new line of work.

Kettch

It wasn't the only incidence of pepper spraying getting out of control that day:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZ6s-U1dKuk

Look at that guy who's blinded @ 30 seconds in and what they do to him.

I'm far from a police defender, but it looks like there's an officer on the ground at the start of this video. If they had legitimate safety concerns for him and verbally told people to get away first, I could see possible justifications for this.

The officer in the OP is also at the top of this video, and likely reacting to what's happening behind her. I don't see any reason to excuse her actions though, the people up there clearly have no idea what's going on further back, the police have a solid line up there and she seems far too jumpy for this responsibility.

lednerg

What led up to this? What happened to that cop on the ground right before the spraying began?

http://seattletimes.com/html/localnews/2025568876_peppersprayedxml.html

"The officer had been knocked off his bike by someone while a splinter group from the rally, which wouldn’t disperse, was apparently moving from Aurora Avenue North to Interstate 5 as part of a traffic-blocking effort, Sgt. Sean Whitcomb, the department’s chief spokesman, said Wednesday. The officer, who was injured, was treated at Harborview Medical Center and released."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom