• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SEGA announces Ghost Squad for the Wii with NO online play

It could look like a polygon-enabled CSP1 game and I'd still buy it.

Its an awesome arcade game, and I'd imagine a beefed up home port will be pretty cool. If Sega gets a gun for it, it becomes even more awesome.
Anybody who's sweet on Umbrella Chronicles should be all over this, it will be comperably awesome.

Well, today just got off to a pretty good start for me.:)

Ikael

Visually it is really dissapointing. However, this is sweet, sweet Ghost Squad. Try it. Seriously, one of most enjoyable arcade cabinets that I have seen in years. Perfect difficulty progression, seamless gameplay, lot of different paths and the action, while fast and in your face, never gets monotone. If they add more extra content for the Wii and / or release a perfect copy of the arcade's gun it will be perfect.

mcgarrett

Hmmm... doesn't part of the gameplay revolve around having to hold the rifle in a realistic fashion to enable the firing reticle? (there's a pressure switch in the butt of the rifle, if this is the game I'm thinking of) I guess that'll be lost unless they release it with a Ghost Squad-specific controller.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
mcgarrett said:
Hmmm... doesn't part of the gameplay revolve around having to hold the rifle in a realistic fashion to enable the firing reticle? (there's a pressure switch in the butt of the rifle, if this is the game I'm thinking of) I guess that'll be lost unless they release it with a Ghost Squad-specific controller.

They could just toggle that on a button on the Wiimote. But yeah, using the Wiimote as a lightgun is gonna lose one of the cool aspects of the game...using a big-sized submachine light gun.

Huggy

mcgarrett said:

You are mistaken. The game you mention could be played with 4 players at the same time, and as far as I could see from examining the gun it was either heat sensitive or touch sensitive to check whether you were holding it for real.
I believe you even fought off military zombie skeletons or something... and it looked incredibly dated. I remember dieing at a helicopter boss... ?

Ghost Squad had another gimmick though. As you shot your way through the game, you had to quickly disable traps in the game with a secondary trigger up front of the gun. You have to cut wires as seen in pics, and disable landmines... which means nothing more than shooting the landmine without missing with the secondary trigger before the game forces you to tread on it (after which you jump 200 feet in the air and scatter yourself over a wide area (normal procedure)).

The M.O.B

Most ORS are only 2-3.I'm hoping they add Lots of co-op mini games and maybe some extra stages.Thats not to much to ask for in a port.

tanasten

glad to heard people isn't stupid anymore
"gameplay in Ghost Squad is actually quite reminiscent of other arcade shooters, such as Virtua Fighter."

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

GameSpot sucks! :D

tanasten said:
"gameplay in Ghost Squad is actually quite reminiscent of other arcade shooters, such as Virtua Fighter."

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

GameSpot sucks! :D

Not enough :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol s.

Boerseun

Banned
This is a direct port from an architecture (Chihiro arcade board) that is very different to that of the Wii. Unless they rebuild the thing from the ground up a graphical downgrade is to be expected.

Boerseun said:
This is a direct port from an architecture (Chihiro arcade board) that is very different to that of the Wii. Unless they rebuild the thing from the ground up a graphical downgrade is to be expected.

But according to some sources (IGN, tanasten) it looks pretty similar.

Innotech

Banned
I find it pretty funny that people will tolerate Flow, Calling all cars, Home, and other not so hot PSN content, yet they wont tolerate a arcade port of this game or really anything with Wii level visuals. I mean seriously, a game is a damn game. So long as it plays well it doesnt matter how its going to look. This argument is so tired but people keep ****ing bringing it up in EVERY Wii thread.

chibcicylist said:
ft3eygk.gif

Holy Shit :lol :lol

No6

Innotech said:
I find it pretty funny that people will tolerate Flow, Calling all cars, Home, and other not so hot PSN content, yet they wont tolerate a arcade port of this game or really anything with Wii level visuals. I mean seriously, a game is a damn game. So long as it plays well it doesnt matter how its going to look. This argument is so tired but people keep ****ing bringing it up in EVERY Wii thread.
I find it pretty funny that you think a $10 (or less) downloadable game is supposed to have visuals/design/content/etc on par with a game which will probably cost $50.

pitt_norton

How bizzare... I just played this at the arcades for the first time last night!!!!! I enjoyed the out of it. But damn I wish it was an anouncement for 2 Spicy for Wii which I also experienced for the first time last night. That was too $%^&^&% awesome. Best fun I've at the arcade. The Star Wars lightaber Wii game should be in this vein.

OT: It was a great night overall that started with the disappointment of NIN postponing their Sydney show, so my friends and I head to the strip club of which I am a VIP member and what surreal experience do we endure? Spending a 15 minute private session with a former Australian Price is Right Model!!!! That was completely awesome :)

Innotech

Banned
No6 said:
I find it pretty funny that you think a $10 (or less) downloadable game is supposed to have visuals/design/content/etc on par with a game which will probably cost $50.
:lol at least its not 599 US dollars.

Besides, the point is, people put up with those visuals, regardless of how much it costs. they arent melting because its not made of 5 billion polys.

No6

drohne said:
fail. does anyone actually like playing lightgun games without a lightgun?
HOTD3 was pretty decent with a controller. Don't get me wrong, I really shouldn't have forked out $50 for it when it came out, shame on me. But I still had some fun, and IIRC it came with HOTD2 as an unlock.

No6

Innotech said:
:lol at least its not 599 US dollars.
lol so what? I guess in a 360-less world this argument might work, I dunno. Even then it's a terrible argument because there aren't a spectrum of other consoles of all types constantly competing for my dollar.
Besides, the point is, people put up with those visuals, regardless of how much it costs. they arent melting because its not made of 5 billion polys.
Ah, the new Wii Standard of "put up with". It's not like a ported lightgun arcade game is going to be breaking down barriers of innovation or something.

Innotech

Banned
No6 said:
lol so what? I guess in a 360-less world this argument might work, I dunno. Even then it's a terrible argument because there aren't a spectrum of other consoles of all types constantly competing for my dollar.

Ah, the new Wii Standard of "put up with". It's not like a ported lightgun arcade game is going to be breaking down barriers of innovation or something.

does it kill you that some people just might enjoy this game on the Wii?
And Im a fan of the Xbox360 too so that argument doesnt hold much water either. Ill eventually have one of those in a few years to catch up on what I missed.

FightyF

Banned
MrSardonic said:
sega, oh dear

What's wrong with SEGA porting their lightgun shooters to Wii? Not a bad idea if you ask me...

It's the sort of diversity that Nintendo is looking for from 3rd parties in their lineup.

Defensor

Mistaken iRobbery!
While I am happy Sega has finally announced Ghost Squad for a console, my money was that it was going to be ported to the XBOX, 360, or PS3 :-/ For Christ sakes, this is available for the PS2 and XBOX:

11102pd4.jpg

Makes Crisis Zone for PS2 experience x100 better along with the discontinued Red Octane metal reload pedal. I guess Virtua Cop 3 is next for Wii.

Rlan

I've never seen anyone actually attempt it, but is it even possible to have two Wii consoles LAN together via the Wifi? Is that even an avaliable option to developers? Because THAT is what a game like this needs, as well as online.

vareon

As someone who has played the arcade, I have to say that this is a pretty fun game, especially the Co-Op mode. Sold. :)

Sho Nuff

Banned
Hey douchers!!! I am out surfing today and posting this from my cell phone on the beach, THE FUTURE IS NOW. Anyway ghost squad is a faqing cool shooter and the CQC rocks. It will be rad to rock this on Wii once I finally buy one, lets just hope its longer than 20 minutes.

loosus

Banned
They ought to get some EAD folks to port it. That'd make the graphics less shitty and give some EAD folks a chance to make something not look like farking Mario and Zelda.

NotWii

Banned
levious said:
I'm sure it will use a cursor.

Online play is great since in the arcade it used link machines if I remember correctly. Different paths for each player I think too.
Crap, they only had one unit in the arcades I went to!

Ghost Squad is great!

linsivvi

Ghost Squad owns! I spent so much money into this game when it first came out and unlocked everything. Looks like I'll have to do it all over again, this time on the Wii.

Tristam

Rlan said:
I've never seen anyone actually attempt it, but is it even possible to have two Wii consoles LAN together via the Wifi? Is that even an avaliable option to developers? Because THAT is what a game like this needs, as well as online.

Yeah. Nintendo demonstrated it with Battalion Wars II.

Top Bottom