• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega/Deep Silver publishing Valkyria Revolution in Q2 2017 on PS4/XB1/Vita

EmiPrime

I loved Valkyria Chronicles 1, probably in my top 10 of best games of last generation.

Thanks but no thanks Sega. I don't think we needed another shallow action RPG for cosplayers and people who buy anime statues with huge tits.

Ganado

I just hope Sega Europe gets to put out a PC port. Sega did say they'd make some PC port announcements in January, so if they don't announce it then, it's not coming until way later in the year, which would suck unless they dial up the port's functionality up to 11.
They said that they would announce something sometime in the New Year, not around New Years.

Also, why does the PSBlog say "Atlus’ fan-favourite series returns in the Spring". Has ATLUS taken over SEGA America?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
But didn't they publish console games in EU before? What made them to stop? It is extra revenue that goes straight to the company instead of DS taking a cut. Will Sonic games be published by DS in the future?

I assume the cost of getting local distributors and doing all the localization was deemed not worthwhile relative to just having a partner handle it due to their very low sales volume.

MarkusRJR

I've never played a Valkyria game before (Xbox owner) but I keep hearing good things about the franchise. Do I need to know anything plot-wise or am I good to start with this one?

Gestault

I loved the first game, and that PS4 port was glorious. Part 2 on PSP started changing things but was still cool. From what I heard, 3 got pretty dumb (in a bad way).

Still super excited. Go, go brave publishers.

I've never played a Valkyria game before (Xbox owner) but I keep hearing good things about the franchise. Do I need to know anything plot-wise or am I good to start with this one?

Academic farm boy from little country between two big country gets pulled into war. Command rad platoons in combat zones where who they're paired with effects abilities. Pick flowers. Meet Vyse. Also, magic lady is a real threat.

prwxv3

I loved the first game, and that PS4 port was glorious. Part 2 on PSP started changing things but was still cool. From what I heard, 3 got pretty dumb (in a bad way).

Still super excited. Go, go brave publishers.

I hear the third game has the best cast.

Kyoufu

Damn dude. Your first Valkyria experience is going to be this shit? You really ought to find a way to play VC1 on PS3, PS4 or PC. :|

For real though, good looking out Sega.

Qr55LYX.gif

If you have a decent PC you should play Valkyria Chronicles. I don't think it's too graphically demanding.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
They said that they would announce something sometime in the New Year, not around New Years.

Also, why does the PSBlog say "Atlus’ fan-favourite series returns in the Spring". Has ATLUS taken over SEGA America?

The actual staff who handle Sega releases in the US are the same now since they merged the divisions. Atlus is the stronger brand for people reading the PlayStation blog, especially for niche Japanese titles, so they're leveraging their name.

I have played no demos of this but heard everyone's first experience was unpleasant. I love the "Valkyria" series despite it's rocky start, terrible 2nd game, and re-vitalizing 3rd installment; but I may have to wait for the PC announcement on this one.

PantsuJo

You can play this without knowing anything of past games because this is a different universe/timeline.

People expecting another Valkyria Chronicles should temper their expectations. I'm not saying the game is going to be awful (though what I've seen left me cold), but it's a spin-off.

Because everything is being ported to the Switch.
Nobody's saying that, but it could happen. Ninty seems to be keeping third parties hush hush about any ports 'til the 12th, so there's no reason to doubt it until otherwise stated by Sega. Plus if they already have a handheld in mind, it doesn't seem that farfetched.

Genuine question:-

Do some posters in this thread realise that this isn't a sequel or related to the turn-based, tactical SRPG Valkyria Chronicles which myself and many others have fallen in love with but Revolution is in fact closer to some Dynasty Warriors type game?

Not shitting on the game as it still could be good but I want to make it clear that this is not Chronicles style gameplay and is a spin off.

So...buyer beware?

MacTag

Banned
SEGA Europe*

SEGA America and SEGA Europe are pretty much separate entities, this announcement came from SEGA America, and SEGA Europe is the one with a PC focus, so if a PC announcement happens, it'll most likely come from the European branch.
Same thing as far as Steam is concerned. They don't separate NA/EU stores and Sega West is the parent division afaik.

I'm happy it's being localised (especially for Vita), but I'm not that excited for it after the demos.

I feel like this is only getting localised because Atlus.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I'm interested in this. It at least looks beautiful again.

Faustek

How in the blazing hell do they have time for that Xbox port but not PC port? Don't get me wrong, good for Xbox players(of it have improved since the demo) but not on pc? Or is it the two lads in Kent doing the pc conversion and PC has to wait a few years?

Kyoufu

Do some posters in this thread realise that this isn't a sequel or related to the turn-based, tactical SRPG Valkyria Chronicles which myself and many others have fallen in love with but Revolution is in fact closer to some Dynasty Warriors type game?

Not shitting on the game as it still could be good but I want to make it clear that this is not Chronicles style gameplay and is a spin off.

So...buyer beware?

I would be OK with a Dynasty Warriors/Musou type of game, because those series of games are actually somewhat fun, if anything.

This is not even fun. It's just extremely low budget and without any sense of excitement whatsoever. I don't really understand who this game is for. Valkyria fans will be extremely disappointed, whilst action RPG fans will be better served playing just about anything else in the genre.

Ganado

The actual staff who handle Sega releases in the US are the same now since they merged the divisions. Atlus is the stronger brand for people reading the PlayStation blog, especially for niche Japanese titles, so they're leveraging their name.

Good point.

ezodagrom

Same thing as far as Steam is concerned. They don't separate NA/EU stores and Sega West is the parent division afaik.
SEGA Europe pretty much handles the Steam releases in both US and EU, like how SEGA America is now handling console releases through Deep Silver in Europe.

redcrayon

So...buyer beware?
I realise that. I just liked the world(s) and the art style as much as the combat in the previous games. It would be great if we got VC4 with proper turn-based combat, but strategy games seem out of favour on PS4/XBO, so if this is the only way to get some more of the mix of guns and magic blended into a fantastical take on wartime Europe, I'm OK with that. It looks like it's been done on a shoestring budget, so I'm cautious yet optimistic. If they've taken feedback on board it might be OK, always good to see new ideas.

I wonder if the XBone release is because Sega remembered that the last time they released a console Valkyria game, they cancelled the 360 release and basically doomed VC1 to cult status. This cycle, Xbox isn't as hot, so they could've skipped it and gone straight to PC, but I guess they want to be there when Scorpio hits.

If you have a decent PC you should play Valkyria Chronicles. I don't think it's too demanding.
A potato could could play VC1 and an adequate gaming rig could run it in 4K.

VC1's PC port hardware requirements are absurdly low, which helps it a great deal.

Papacheeks

Banned
No PC is weird

How is PC so weird?

It's probably a wait and see. How much did the remaster sell on PC? Series started out as a console series, I think they may do a stagger release with Console and PC.

Or they may wait and see how sales are to justify a PC version.

I'm happy we are getting another game.

StereoVsn

Didn't this game get panned in Japan? Too lazy to search but I thought at least the demos previewed pretty badly. Is it actually out over there?

No PC after VC sales ? Sega hates money.
I dunno if this would sell well on PC. VC was a game PC gamers wanted, this is not VC
How is PC so weird?

It's probably a wait and see. How much did the remaster sell on PC? Series started out as a console series, I think they may do a stagger release with Console and PC.

Valkyria Chroncles has sold 900k on Steam

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
How is PC so weird?

The game sold 900,000 copies on PC.

If this was a sequel to a Koei Tecmo title that did 20K copies, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
I have no real interest in this game (I want a proper sequel to VC), but for Segatlus USA to announce this for XBO and not PC is really a giant fuck you to all those people who support Valkyria Chronicles on PC. Maybe PC will get it later or something, but it's not really the same as a day and date release.

This is how I feel about a lot of recent SEGA games. 7th Dragon, Hatsune Miku Future Tone

I can't imagine those happening without the Atlus merger

Weren't they already localizing Miku games? I think it's not all good. We would've gotten some of these Sega games, but what this really does is cut off the third party titles Atlus USA used to bring over.

I loved Valkyria Chronicles 1, probably in my top 10 of best games of last generation.

Thanks but no thanks Sega. I don't think we needed another shallow action RPG for cosplayers and people who buy anime statues with huge tits.
Pretty much my feelings. This one looks to stray too much from what made the first one great.

ok (after watching the demo), wasn't valkyria chronicles some kind of turn based shooter set in a WWII like world? What is this then?

Top Bottom