• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega/Deep Silver publishing Valkyria Revolution in Q2 2017 on PS4/XB1/Vita

Synth

Glad to know that the Valkyria series didn't keel over in the States after 2 was released.

Valkyria Chronicles did though... and that's a pretty important distinction imo. It's like celebrating that Syndicate is healthy thanks to the EA release in 2012.

Im so torn i dont want to buy this game as it looks like shit and i hate the direction it took but i dont want tge series to die.
Don't be guilt trpped into buying a game you don't like.

This is the direction Sega are taking the series, and if Revolution suceeds or fails a Chronicles style game is not happening.

koutoru

I'm interested in the game but not so much that I need to get it day 1.
I'll wait to see if a PC version eventually comes out, plenty of other jrpg's to play in 2017 in the meantime.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Valkyria Chronicles did though...

Only because they released for PSP instead of PS3. Sega cut their nose to spite their face in regards to the series in the west and thinking the fanbase would just jump over because that's where the money was in Japan.

Hence, the X-box release here despite the X-box version probably gonna bomb in Japan.

epmode

People keep saying no PC version, but it's no PC version. Yet.

Gotta get the double dip.

This is a very Japanese attitude when it comes to PC ports but excellent sales of day one Japanese ports have shown that they're leaving money on the table.

Nyoro SF

yeah that's the thing. i remember when cyber sleuth came out, the OT was one of the most active threads on GAF and I thought it'd reflect domestic sales of the game but it really didn't. at all.

Yeah, it is wise not to use GAF post counts to determine game popularity pre or post-release.

I will say I considered posting more VAR news through threads over the past month or two, but I didn't want to deal with the huge amount of negativity and "not Chronicles" people posted all the time (and threads usually didn't get past one page), so I lost motivation.

Over time Sega has revealed from the game:
1) The current major villains
2) All your heroes, which are all adults, which is a huge shocker for a Japanese RPG releasing in 2017
3) All major enemy mech designs
4) Voice actors and actresses
5) More story details and character trailers

You're looking at PC sales in isolation. A simultaneous PC release might improve PC sales, but you don't know how much it affects console/overall sales.

If late PC ports were such a terrible idea, companies wouldn't do them.

Thing is, late PC ports are a minority. And sales numbers shows same day and date improves said sales.

Synth

Only because they released for PSP instead of PS3. Sega cut their nose to spite their face in regards to the series in the west and thinking the fanbase would just jump over because that's where the money was in Japan.

Hence, the X-box release here despite the X-box version probably gonna bomb in Japan.

Yea I agree, I was just saying that Valkyria Chronicles didn't really survive VC2. Sega really should have given VC2 a subtitle rather than a number, and reversed course once VC1 had grown the IP awareness.

Linkura

I have no hopes of this game being good after the dreadful demos, but I'll keep an eye out for Japanese impressions.

There is no reason to conclude that the XB1 version is being released instead of a PC version. Come on.

Until a PC version is announced, it is.

A really baffling decision, considering JRPGs are already proven to not do so hot on Xbone.

Sega Gonna Sega.

Banned
Vita and Xbox but no Switch and PC? Weird.

You'd think they'd want the Switch for its Japanese market potential and portability. And Valkyria has a fan base on steam.

I'll get it for the pro.

Honestly a bit miffed they're releasing a physical Xbox One version but not Vita. I'm well past the point I can justify getting more digital games on Vita unless I absolutely have to due to storage limitations, so I guess I'll be buying on PS4.

Really would have loved this on Vita though. I mean even just a limited run collectors edition would have been great, but oh well.

Vita and Xbox but no Switch and PC? Weird.

You'd think they'd want the Switch for its Japanese market potential and portability. And Valkyria has a fan base on steam.

I'll get it for the pro.

I would think Switch is likely (XBO version means it's not Sony-exclusive), and if it exists on Switch, we'll find out on Jan 12th/13th.

John told me no dice and not to hold my breath when asked if it could happen:

https://twitter.com/JohnLHardin/status/809064738562850816
https://twitter.com/JohnLHardin/status/809066271052398592

I believe that it's not in the works in terms of localization right now (hence "no dice"), but it COULD happen (but he's not confident, hence "don't hold your breath"), but since the game's not due in the west until Q2, I think they can get the localization done on Switch fairly quickly.

Only thing is what about a JP release? When is it due in Japan again? Unless it's after March, it'd be a late port and that would be unlikely I'd think.

Just my two cents.

Gurnlei

You're looking at PC sales in isolation. A simultaneous PC release might improve PC sales, but you don't know how much it affects console/overall sales.

If late PC ports were such a terrible idea, companies wouldn't do them.

Same day PC ports generally do way better than late ports.

Not sure how it affects console sales matters at all. If I was a dev I'd be willing to get the most PC sales I can with the bigger cut.

I would think Switch is likely (XBO version means it's not Sony-exclusive), and if it exists on Switch, we'll find out on Jan 12th/13th.

John told me no dice and not to hold my breath when asked if it could happen:

https://twitter.com/JohnLHardin/status/809064738562850816
https://twitter.com/JohnLHardin/status/809066271052398592

I believe that it's not in the works in terms of localization right now (hence "no dice"), but it COULD happen (but he's not confident, hence "don't hold your breath"), but since the game's not due in the west until Q2, I think they can get the localization done on Switch fairly quickly.

Only thing is what about a JP release? When is it due in Japan again? Unless it's after March, it'd be a late port and that would be unlikely I'd think.

Just my two cents.

Comes out Jan 24th in Japan last I recall.

A lot of people seem very upset it's coming to XB1 for some reason. I'll be buying it on that platform.

The ire is less about what it's on, but rather what it's not on.

ezodagrom

Until a PC version is announced, it is.

A really baffling decision, considering JRPGs are already proven to not do so hot on Xbone.

Sega Gonna Sega.
I sound like a broken record by now, but, when it comes to SEGA, PC releases are on SEGA Europe hands, this is a SEGA America announcement.
They're pretty much separate entities, as seen with the North America only announcements earlier this year and the partnership between SEGA America and Deep Silver for Europe console releases.

Comes out Jan 24th in Japan last I recall.

Ah, thank you. :) Yeah so it'd be a late port no matter what they'd do. Not sure if that's something Sega ever really do, not that I recall (aside from rare cases, like Sonic Heroes came out on GC first and then on XB and PS2 a few weeks later in NA).

We'll have to wait and see I guess.

I sound like a broken record by now, but, when it comes to SEGA, PC releases are on SEGA Europe hands, this is a SEGA America announcement.
They're pretty much separate entities, as seen with the North America only announcements earlier this year and the partnership between SEGA America and Deep Silver for Europe console releases.

People seem to ignore these sorts of details, infact SEGA of Europe has been weirdly silent on PC ports lately, we didn't even get a surprise November PC release like they've done these past couple of years!

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Yeah I doubt this is coming to the Switch. I think they just would've confirmed it like they did Sonic 2017.

They did say they'd be announcing something "in the new year".

I certainly hope it's not just this, because after being silent for so long that'd be very disappointing.

ezodagrom

People seem to ignore these sorts of details, infact SEGA of Europe has been weirdly silent on PC ports lately, we didn't even get a surprise November PC release like they've done these past couple of years!
Yeah, though, SEGA in general started taking a more it's ready when it's ready/focus on quality approach as of lately.
They did say that they'll have news next year though, I guess.
https://twitter.com/SEGA_Europe/status/806613291774672898

Wow another awesome RPG moving away from Turn Based Combat? I am loving this.
First time played FF game in FFXV due to real time combat and l am in love with the game. More the merrier.

The combat was never fully turn based, you get attacked by enemies even when you're in player phase (and vice versa).

Love the box art. I'm in for the XB1 version.

I actually find it kind of funny. The Japanese box art is desaturated and a sideways view of Amleth Chin-Down-Eyes-Up, whilst the western cover is more vibrant and detailed... and uh still chin-down-eyes-up but w/e.

Weird to see this of all games buck that trend of Japanese covers being artistic while western covers are edgy.

Japanese cover:

ValkyriaAzureRevolution2_thumb.jpg

Aru

I feel like no one is gonna buy the Xbox One version.
But still good news. I loved all 3 Valkyria games and will gladly play this one even if it's different!

Honestly a bit miffed they're releasing a physical Xbox One version but not Vita. I'm well past the point I can justify getting more digital games on Vita unless I absolutely have to due to storage limitations, so I guess I'll be buying on PS4.

Really would have loved this on Vita though. I mean even just a limited run collectors edition would have been great, but oh well.

https://twitter.com/JohnLHardin/status/809055720930844672

John might be able to swing it.

Nyoro SF

I actually find it kind of funny. The Japanese box art is desaturated and a sideways view of Amleth Chin-Down-Eyes-Up, whilst the western cover is more vibrant and detailed... and uh still chin-down-eyes-up but w/e.

Weird to see this of all games buck that trend of Japanese covers being artistic while western covers are edgy.

Japanese cover:

Both covers are great which is kind of a shocker.
The VC1 PS3 covers of both Japan and USA release of VC1 were both pretty bad, with the USA version coming out ahead by a small margin.
The VC1R PS4 release had an excellent cover, it was wise for USA to reuse the Japanese cover.
and now with VR1 we have two good covers. USA is using the main feature promo image of the game, while Japan is using the trailer credits promo artwork.

Much better than most Japanese series and spinoffs get, we're pretty lucky.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Xbox? Getting a non westernized niche JRPG?

The stars have aligned!

Although i do wonder why the PC version was not announced day and date as well?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
My guess would be that a PC version does exist and is being announced separately given the first game's PC success and the decision to make an Xbox One port specifically for the west. That's not a guarantee, of course.

My guess would be the lack of physical Vita release reflects declining retailer support for the Vita from major retailers and Sega / Deep Silver being slightly too large to justify a boutique online store run the way NIS or XSeed or whatever might be able to.

Yeah honestly I don't think Hardin's "Hail Mary" will do jack to get the Vita version physically in stores. Ultimately it's up to the retailers whether or not it does. And retailers can be insanely pragmatic on these matters.

I mean that was one of the contributing factors to the death of PSP localizations in the west from 2010 onward. Retailers were very bluntly saying "NO." to stocking PSP games.

Yeah honestly I don't think Hardin's "Hail Mary" will do jack to get the Vita version physically in stores. Ultimately it's up to the retailers whether or not it does. And retailers can be insanely pragmatic on these matters.

I mean that was one of the contributing factors to the death of PSP localizations in the west from 2010 onward. Retailers were very bluntly saying "NO." to stocking PSP games.

His 'Hail Mary' will undoubtedly have nothing to do with retailers and everything to do with getting a small, limited physical run out.

Nozomi

Banned
My guess would be that a PC version does exist and is being announced separately given the first game's PC success and the decision to make an Xbox One port specifically for the west. That's not a guarantee, of course.

Since Atlus is involed i wouldn't count on a PC version.

Since Atlus is involed i wouldn't count on a PC version.

I think they'll port to consoles first, and use that architecture to release it on PC. Like you said, Atlus is not familiar with PC releases, so perhaps Deep Silver will assign another dev to port the port.

Perhaps the 4 dev team of Little Stone Software that port VC to PC is going to do the port again.

Top Bottom