• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega/Deep Silver publishing Valkyria Revolution in Q2 2017 on PS4/XB1/Vita

MilkBeard

Valkyria Chronicles 2

Swords vs guns has been a thing since the second game.

I meant the strange mix of fantasy swords using some magic element and the 1900's war style trenches and sandbags.

But yeah, it's not that it hasn't been done before, it just feels like a strange mix.

Nozomi

Banned
That may be every single sale right there though. :p

This is the sort of thing that typically I would have probably bought on PS4... but I feel like I should get it on XB1 instead, so I'm not contributing to the statistic of XB1 owners that apparently don't play games like this.

And while they are at it screw over 900k potential buyer on Steam? Sounds like a brilliant plan.

Papacheeks

Banned
Actually after watching that demo and seeing that giant mechanical scorpion thing I'm kind of sold.

When would Q2 be in 2017 like summer?

There are tons of strat in the game I'm watching so far from Demo 2.0. Each character has long range, low, high damage and melee. One guy has a shield that will walk up slowly in the middle if you position him correctly then you can have him shoot his bazooka, then switch to another character and go in with melee once they are knocked down.

I like it.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
I mean, I get the sentiment but what's that supposed to prove? That the game will sell 14 more copies?

That's quite conclusive. Might as well cancel the PS4 version

Because gaf equals the majority. That's never the case.

Anyway this your chance to support these types of games XB1 owners. If it sells terribly don't complain why there's no Japanese games on the platform.

That may be every single sale right there though. :p

This is the sort of thing that typically I would have probably bought on PS4... but I feel like I should get it on XB1 instead, so I'm not contributing to the statistic of XB1 owners that apparently don't play games like this.

Yeah, it always feels like what some are actually saying is 'Japanese-made games for Japanese-made platforms' and it's dumb if you want an easy way to expand your audience and sell more.
Of course my post was not scientific. Just observing how bonkers this thread is.

And while they are at it screw over 900k potential buyer on Steam? Sounds like a brilliant plan.

There is no reason to conclude that the XB1 version is being released instead of a PC version. Come on.

Wait, was this ever even a possibility? Damn shame if so.

They're by Aquaplus and ATLUS did some of their titles before, like Tears to Tiara II and Dungeon Travelers. There was some Atlus stream a long time ago where they said they're interested in localizing the games.

There's a rumor going around that ATLUS and Aquaplus had a falling out though and that's why it's not happening.

I mean, I get the sentiment but what's that supposed to prove? That the game will sell 14 more copies?

yeah that's the thing. i remember when cyber sleuth came out, the OT was one of the most active threads on GAF and I thought it'd reflect domestic sales of the game but it really didn't. at all.

muteki

Interested in trying this out so soon.

This would probably be a PS4 purchase for either way, but I'm still really bummed to see Vita physical carts continuing to be dropped in the west.

Papacheeks

Banned
Yeah that part seemed cool. I think there is potential for the game to be decent, at least.

Wow you can throw different kind of grenades, the chich threw a smoke grenade and the scorpion thing started getting confused and then they started going ham on it.

I'm actually really liking this.

Holly you can even setup hitting specific parts with your weapons on the body of bosses, have people concentrate fire on like a leg.

On Demand

Banned
I mean, by most accounts the demo isn't very good. I'd say them using this as a barometer would leave plenty of room to complain if it ends up a turd.

At least show some kind of support. Can't keep making the excuse that the game was bad anyway.

I'm surprised there's no day one PC version.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
I mean we have data on PS4/XB1 splits for MAJOR Japanese games. This game will bomb on Xbox. Hard. (Probably on PS4 as well tough, but not quite as much)

Okay.
I and many others in this thread are happy that this game is being released on Xbox One.

Synth

I don't personally consider a game not being on any particular platform to be an act of screwing them over tbh. It can be misguided sure.

Besides, if I were any example, then a bunch of that 900k could be people that already owned the game on another platform, and double dipped on a later PC release.. or would just buy it a year later regardless.

Of course my post was not scientific. Just observing how bonkers this thread is.

Yea, I wasn't being serious either.

I mean we have data on PS4/XB1 splits for MAJOR Japanese games. This game will bomb on Xbox. Hard. (Probably on PS4 as well tough, but not quite as much)

That's quite conclusive. Might as well cancel the PS4 and XB1 versions.

Nzyme32

Since PC is currently my only platform and likely to be so for the foreseeable future, I'd obviously wait for the inevitable PC version. However, this game is quite a deviation from VC1's gameplay style. Due to this I'm not too sure if the game is something I'd be interested in though

I'm shocked! SHOCKED!...well not that shocked. Kind of figured this had a good chance of getting localized all things considered, though I'm a little surprised there is a X1 version coming out. So kudos to them on that part.

I'm going to be honest though, haven't really been enthralled with what I've seen, gameplay and character wise. Still, I'm willing to give this a shot on day one.

Just wish that SEGA would one day make another Chronicles game or at least remaster VC 2 and 3 (even if 2 is my least favorite of the main games)

Nozomi

Banned
I don't personally consider a game not being on any particular platform to be an act of screwing them over tbh. It can be misguided sure.

Besides, if I were any example, then a bunch of that 900k could be people that already owned the game on another platform, and double dipped on a later PC release.. or would just buy it a year later regardless.

Will the double dip myth never die? I thought after the recent day1 steam releases from Bamco for God Eater and Tales of Zestiria that had really good sales we were past this believe..

PantsuJo

Since PC is currently my only platform and likely to be so for the foreseeable future, I'd obviously wait for the inevitable PC version. However, this game is quite a deviation from VC1's gameplay style. Due to this I'm not too sure if the game is something I'd be interested in though
Same here, I'm not sure to buy it, even on PC (if it will be released on it).

Faustek

They're by Aquaplus and ATLUS did some of their titles before, like Tears to Tiara II and Dungeon Travelers. There was some Atlus stream a long time ago where they said they're interested in localizing the games.

There's a rumor going around that ATLUS and Aquaplus had a falling out though and that's why it's not happening.

Ok, first time I've heard of this rumor. Anything substantial anywhere or just forum talk?

Synth

Will the double dip myth never die? I thought after the recent day1 steam releases from Bamco for God Eater and Tales of Zestiria that had really good sales we were past this believe..

Honestly, I'm not actually suggesting that the majority of purchasers would be double dippers... I was just saying that it's uncertain how many of them would be out of your cited 900k potential base, using the personal anecdote that I double dipped. Day one sales don't really disprove anything though... because you don't know how much of a drop off in sales would have been incurred by a delayed release, or how many people that bought it only on Steam, but would have bought it on console and then Steam otherwise. It's a pretty meaningless statement to have made though, I agree... so let's ignore I made it.

On the other hand though, I still think the fact that Valkyria Chronicles hit PC 6 years after its initial PS3 release, kinda suggests that the potential 900k Steam buyers aren't exactly lost by the game not releasing day and date with the console versions.

Ok, first time I've heard of this rumor. Anything substantial anywhere or just forum talk?

Forum talk. No idea where it even originated but I've seen it mentioned here and on reddit. Could be complete nonsense.

I do think it's strange that they're not localizing it, it seems to be very successful in Japan.

AHA-Lambda

Basically same for me.

Surprised at no PC announce, but I'm in no rush for this despite really liking the 1st VC on Steam.

Nozomi

Banned
Honestly, I'm not actually suggesting that the majority of purchasers would be double dippers... I was just saying that it's uncertain how many of them would be out of your cited 900k potential base, using the personal anecdote that I double dipped. Day one sales don't really disprove anything though... because you don't know how much of a drop off in sales would have been incurred by a delayed release, or how many people that bought it only on Steam, but would have bought it on console and then Steam otherwise. It's a pretty meaningless statement to have made though, I agree... so let's ignore I made it.

On the other hand though, I still think the fact that Valkyria Chronicles hit PC 6 years after its initial PS3 release, kinda suggests that the potential 900k Steam buyer aren't exactly lost by the game not releasing day and date with the console versions.

Dont forget that it was released in a time with allmost zero jrpg competion on Steam. Nowadays we are getting more and more japanese stuff day 1 on steam so the competion is way higher than it was as Valkyria Chronicle was released.

Without a day 1 release they will have litteraly zero marketing buzz which will hurt the sales massively.

Faustek

Forum talk. No idea where it even originated but I've seen it mentioned here and on reddit. Could be complete nonsense.

I do think it's strange that they're not localizing it, it seems to be very successful in Japan.

Yeah, I was actually counting on the localisation as already being set, no idea why, so I never bothered to import :|

Second and third game Switch exclusives confirmed

I'm for some strange reason giggling like a little bit at this.

Nyoro SF

Alright in front of a desktop computer so I can post for real now....

For starters, I don't believe dual audio was mentioned anywhere in press releases, or if they're going to go for Japanese-only voices, or English-only. I'm importing my copy, but I'm the minority, so they should probably clarify that quick.

Regarding platforms; Xbox One is a surprise, digital-only Vita is not. PC version is definitely coming later and I'll be buying that one. I'm curious who developed the Xbox One version and I'll also be curious over who ports the PC version. That localization + release date is faster than usual for titles coming overseas. I hope Atlus/Sega understand that non-simultaneous releases of games within the same fiscal year usually spells disaster for the title that comes last. Usually.

While I see they gave an explanation for why they dropped "Azure" from the title, it makes things more annoying for acronyms. VAR was good before, but now with this version it's going to be called VR, which is definitely going to cause confusion. Without a sequel, calling it "VR1" is probably not going to take off. I think it was a bad choice, and that "Valkyria: Azure Revolution" with the subtitle would have been just fine. Plus the new logo looks a bit awkward with the centerpiece moving to the left, but at least it doesn't look as bad as the localized Valkyria Chronicles logo.

Regarding the playable state of the game. The last demo of VAR was 2.0 and they haven't updated anything past that. That demo is rife with beta-like issues like teammates being very slow to respond to commands, improper pathing when engaging enemies, mines literally being inoperable (they don't explode when you walk across them), framerate diving into the single digits when things get hectic and no adaptive leveling. What I played was fun as a basic ARPG but it didn't seem to go beyond your typical Tales game without the command menu working properly. It's my sincere hope they improved on all of this and cleaned up the current system but when they started tacking on platforms and not showing more gameplay footage I became worried.

For GAF dudes who want to learn about the people behind making the game and its relation to Chronicles and the staff and the creative process, I translated a very large interview here that no major site picked up :(. It took a lot of work so I'll shill for it though!
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1270939
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1277368

tl;dr Fun game despite beta issues on grounds of being a by the book ARPG but we need a good look at the final version.

Synth

Dont forget that it was released in a time with allmost zero jrpg competion on Steam. Nowadays we are getting more and more japanese stuff day 1 on steam so the competion is way higher than it was as Valkyria Chronicle was released.

Without a day 1 release they will have litteraly zero marketing buzz what will hurt the sales massively.

Maybe, but on that same note maybe they don't really have a potential 900k userbase anymore (especially as the format of the game is completely different), and maybe the XB1 is looking a lot more like the blue river right now.

They're probably wrong with that line of thought regardless... but I wouldn't say they're screwing anyone over by giving the Xbox audience a shot with the IP.

Gestault

For GAF dudes who want to learn about the people behind making the game and its relation to Chronicles and the staff and the creative process, I translated a very large interview here that no major site picked up :(. It took a lot of work so I'll shill for it though!
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1270939
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1277368

This is a cool find, I hadn't seen this stuff. I need to toss it on my list for after work.

Nozomi

Banned
Maybe, but on that same note maybe they don't really have a potential 900k userbase anymore (especially as the format of the game is completely different), and maybe the XB1 is looking a lot more like the blue river right now.

They're probably wrong with that line of thought regardless... but I wouldn't say they're screwing anyone over by giving the Xbox audience a shot with the IP.

Considering that more and more japanese publisher choose steam over vita/xbone no.

Without a day 1 release they will have litteraly zero marketing buzz which will hurt the sales massively.

You're looking at PC sales in isolation. A simultaneous PC release might improve PC sales, but you don't know how much it affects console/overall sales.

If late PC ports were such a terrible idea, companies wouldn't do them.

Synth

Considering that more and more japanese publisher choose steam over vita/xbone no.

Yea they do now. They didn't before because they common thought was similarly that PC players don't play such games.

Also, what YianGaruga said. Not all sales are cumulative... this game releasing on XB1 sees a sale for me... but they would have got that same sale on PS4 had it not released on XB1. If this game were to release on Steam day one instead of XB1, then I would have bought it there instead. One sale in all scenarios, but you just see it as +1 Steam, without a potential -1 elsewhere.

If they release it on Steam next year, then I'd probably buy it there too (assuming I actually like it), whereas if I have a Steam version of a game, I practically never buy the console version afterwards.

Glad to know that the Valkyria series didn't keel over in the States after 2 was released. Interesting that its getting a Xbox and Vita release though; figured it would have been released on PS4 only in English when it was previously revealed....

cireza

Coming to Xbox One ? Amazing news, because this is where I play.

So I will be able to actually buy and play this game :)

Top Bottom