• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SEGA gauging interest in Hatsune Miku: Project Diva Arcade port to PC / Home Console

Nyoro SF

http://info.miku.sega.jp/3719

So from what I can tell, to take the survey you need to log on to the Project Diva Arcade web portal, and to do that you need to have a Project Diva Arcade account ID, which I think you can only get from the actual arcade machine... so this is aimed pretty much exclusively at current arcade players and not the general public.

I figured as much. No thanks to Gematsu for not explaining.

What a waste, SEGA.

I figured as much. No thanks to Gematsu for not explaining.

What a waste, SEGA.

Basically, echo chamber. Talking to only a small part of an audience as usual. I don't get why Japan is still so closed. Cather only to Japan, only to a certain audience.

Marche90

For Miku, I'll be there day -1, even if my laptop melts trying to play the game, or I need to set the resolution to 320x240 to get that 60 FPS gameplay

muteki

Ugh, no vita on the list.

I'd almost rather Smartphone or PC just because of the lag issues I have between PS3 and TV on the other PD games, and the game's less-than-stellar lag calibration.

Gyossaits

Banned
For Miku, I'll be there day -1, even if my laptop melts trying to play the game, or I need to set the resolution to 320x240 to get that 60 FPS gameplay

Funny enough, the Project Diva Arcade Wikipedia page actually has the specifications of the setup the game runs on:

• Pentium Dual-Core E2160 (1.8 GHz)
  • GeForce 8800GS, 384 MB GDDR3 SDRAM (Shader Model 4.0)

That CPU was available from 2006 to 2009 and the GeForce 8000 series was released in late 2006. Anybody with a modern computer is going to almost assuredly run the game no problem.

Muzicfreq

Banned
Funny enough, the Project Diva Arcade Wikipedia page actually has the specifications of the setup the game runs on:

That CPU was available from 2006 to 2009 and the GeForce 8000 series was released in late 2006. Anybody with a modern computer is going to almost assuredly run the game no problem.
Looks like im boned

Durante

So from what I can tell, to take the survey you need to log on to the Project Diva Arcade web portal, and to do that you need to have a Project Diva Arcade account ID, which I think you can only get from the actual arcade machine... so this is aimed pretty much exclusively at current arcade players and not the general public.
That's such a Japanese approach to performing a survey like this. I sometimes feel like they don't even want to increase their reach.

Marche90

If they port the original Arcade game, then yes, I'll probably be able to run the game the way it is supposed to. However, if they use the Future Tone specs as a base... probably I'll still be fine but I'll have to tweak my settings, provided they do give us that ability, of course.

Basically, echo chamber. Talking to only a small part of an audience as usual. I don't get why Japan is still so closed. Cather only to Japan, only to a certain audience.

It's not technically closed to Japan only; as I alluded to, Round1 in the USA carries the game fully linked and online, so players near a Round1 location can participate in this survey as well. I'm fairly certain every location save for Moreno Valley has at least two copies of the game:

Puente Hills Mall, City of Industry, CA
Lakewood Center Mall, Lakewood, CA
Stratford Square Mall, Bloomingdale, IL
Arlington Parks, Arlington, TX

Also, restricting the survey to arcade players makes sense from a financial standpoint; Sega is not going to do something that cuts off the cash flow from Arcade players. Working with Arcade players to find out what platforms they'd buy the game on is actually a smart move, on the assumption that whatever does get released is at least a year behind Arcade in content.

That looks like the specs for the RingEdge system, which DIVA Arcade switched away from nearly two years ago. The game is on Sega Nu now. It's still a fairly easy spec to match (Core i3-3220/GTX 650) though.

I saw the console versions of Hatsune Miku. It's basically a shitty version of Osu! If you want to play Hatsune Miku on PC, just download Osu! and get the Hatsune Miku songs.

Nyoro SF

I assume I should be able to do this with my Bana Passport with PD Arcade data on it. Will try later.

Presumably you can go here to start registration if you have any Aime or Bana IC card: https://my-aime.net/aime/en/p/info/about.html

Is getting the Aime card in the first place easy?

I saw the console versions of Hatsune Miku. It's basically a shitty version of Osu! If you want to play Hatsune Miku on PC, just download Osu! and get the Hatsune Miku songs.

Mate not only are you dead wrong but this isn't even relevant to the thread in question. Do you want to get banned so badly?

antibolo

Banned
Project Diva Arcade on PS4 would be awesome.

How would they implement the controls though? Would they simply convert them to console style Project Diva controls? Turning it into what would basically be a new Dreamy Theater?

Marche90

What the hell am I reading?

You are factually, 100% wrong. Ouendan, and by extension, Osu's gameplay is totally different. I'm telling you this as someone who has played all games (Ouendan 1&2, Osu and all the PD games bar Arcade)

ChrisD

Yes
Please

...now if somebody could tell me how to get access to this survey I'm all ears. Live nearish to an Arcade with the machine but have never touched upon the IC card business.

Cirruss

Osu is about touch/mouse based gameplay, at least the last time I played. The Diva games are more similar to DDR in that its about pushing the correct buttons shown. Neither control scheme is really superior to the other, they are just different.

Is getting the Aime card in the first place easy?

Normally you would buy one from an arcade in order to save your play data. Then you presumably tie the card to a Sega ID.

I assume you can import them from third-parties, but then the problem becomes getting Project Diva data onto the card. Diva.net actually checks whether you have played the game before allowing you access to full site features: http://miku.sega.jp/arcade/en/divanet.html

I hope the survey is not among the features that require you to have played the game in the last 30 days. I'll find out, I guess.

Nyoro SF

Normally you would buy one from an arcade in order to save your play data.

I assume you can import them from third-parties, but then the problem becomes getting Project Diva data onto the card. Diva.net actually checks whether you have played the game before allowing you access to full site features: http://miku.sega.jp/arcade/en/divanet.html

I hope the survey is not among the features that require you to have played the game in the last 30 days. I'll find out, I guess.

Thanks for looking out.
I live near a Round1, and have been meaning to get one of these cards for a while. However understanding the instructions using the poor English on their website was a real bitch.

If I pull it off, I'll see if I can get my lone vote for PC in. :p

baterism

.... Japan PC/Steam users even locked-out of some Sega games.
The dream is dead, then. I would like to be surprised, though.

Articalys

Why not, I don't know, put the arcade game into US distribution?
You mean beyond the four locations StarCreator mentioned above? U.S. arcades are pretty much dead except for shooting and driving games anyway, for the most part, and Miku is already niche enough as is.

As someone with some knowledge of how much bullshit red tape is involved in getting arcade games up and running in the US, I can't see this ever happening. Round1 is the biggest force out there right now pushing for change, and even they are running into issues bringing over everything they want (see DDR, pop'n music, Wangan Midnight, Initial D, and many fighting games still being old versions running offline). Dave and Busters is the only company of comparable size, but unlike R1, they seem perfectly willing to stagnate on the arcade side of their business because it's not what makes them the most money.

bigkrev

Arcades in America are already a very small thing, and most of the big ones- your Dave and Busters/Chuck e Cheese's of the world- would not want anything to do with Project Diva. It is a super niche thing, and Arcade games are pretty expensive.

cj_iwakura

As someone with some knowledge of how much bullshit red tape is involved in getting arcade games up and running in the US, I can't see this ever happening. Round1 is the biggest force out there right now pushing for change, and even they are running into issues bringing over everything they want (see DDR, pop'n music, Wangan Midnight, and Initial D still being old versions running offline). Dave and Busters is the only company of comparable size, but unlike R1, they seem perfectly willing to stagnate on the arcade side of their business because it's not what makes them the most money.

I think it could have potential with the D&B crowd if they market it right. Look at all the touch screen stuff they have.

Hell, Andamiro still sells them yearly PIU upgrades. The Hollywood FL D&B has had a Pump cabinet for 10+ years, and it's still being upgraded.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I feel like the end result of something like this coming to PC is a Hatsune Miku model getting ripped out and forced to do unspeakable things in Source Film Maker.

Nyoro SF

I think it could have potential with the D&B crowd if they market it right. Look at all the touch screen stuff they have.

Hell, Andamiro still sells them yearly PIU upgrades. The Hollywood FL D&B has had a Pump cabinet for 10+ years, and it's still being upgraded.

I mean I'm not discounting the idea but like Star said if Round 1 can't do it, there's no way in hell D&B will go the extra miles to get it done. That's not their forte.

It's preferable to create a consumer version. They can bring it to PC without compromising anything and do more with it than they could with an arcade release.

Bring Miku to PC and watch all the animu nerds fight for trading cards.

Can you say 0.75c trading cards? lolololol

I feel like the end result of something like this coming to PC is a Hatsune Miku model getting ripped out and forced to do unspeakable things in Source Film Maker.

Little late on that front I think, guess the only upside is that the Miku model in PDA is HD.

PIU is entrenched so selling upgrades is a no-brainer because, as you say, they can just keep upgrading the same cabinets already in place over and over. Asking them to make room on their floor for something entirely new, unproven, and expensive (knowing it's safe to assume Project DIVA is leased on a revenue-sharing+monthly subscription model like every other modern game that isn't PIU) is a much shakier proposition, especially considering they would probably also have to pay for the music licenses on top of it (R1 currently does this).

cj_iwakura

PIU is entrenched so selling upgrades is a no-brainer because, as you say, they can just keep upgrading the same cabinets already in place over and over. Asking them to make room on their floor for something entirely new, unproven, and expensive (knowing it's safe to assume Project DIVA is leased on a revenue-sharing+monthly subscription model like every other modern game that isn't PIU) is a much shakier proposition, especially considering they would probably also have to pay for the music licenses on top of it (R1 currently does this).

I think they have money to gamble with. Some of those ticket revenue touch screen games cost ridiculous amounts of money.

If I were in Sega's shoes, I'd at least try. Worse they can say is no.

Still sad DJ MAX Technika never picked up steam here.

Top Bottom