• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SEGA gauging interest in Hatsune Miku: Project Diva Arcade port to PC / Home Console

mollipen

The arcade game, Project Diva (PSP/Vita), and Mirai (3DS) are all different games IIRC.

No, Arcade is absolutely based on Project Diva. Just different song lists, different graphical models, and obviously different physical button set-up.

And I'm all for bringing Arcade home, whatever, but the real travesty that needs to be fixed is we need Project Diva Extend / Dreamy Theater Extend here in the States. The fact that non-importers only get to play the games with the shitty star notes in them is outrageously sad.

antibolo

Banned
No, Arcade is absolutely based on Project Diva. Just different song lists, different graphical models, and obviously different physical button set-up.

And I'm all for bringing Arcade home, whatever, but the real travesty that needs to be fixed is we need Project Diva Extend / Dreamy Theater Extend here in the States. The fact that non-importers only get to play the games with the shitty star notes in them is outrageously sad.

Star notes with sticks are fine.

I think they have money to gamble with. Some of those ticket revenue touch screen games cost ridiculous amounts of money.

If I were in Sega's shoes, I'd at least try. Worse they can say is no.

Still sad DJ MAX Technika never picked up steam here.

Sega has already pulled out of the arcade market here. You'll not find any forward motion on that end of things, full stop.

As mentioned, Dave and Busters treats arcades as a loss leader. They make all their money on drinks and bowling billiards.

This may have been the case when the series first forked five years ago, but they are certainly very different games now. Just compare the video I linked on the first page and video from the last PSP title; it's clear the series has been steered in a completely different direction.

(Geez, I've been streaming this game for four years?)

bigkrev

Sega has already pulled out of the arcade market here. You'll not find any forward motion on that end of things, full stop.

As mentioned, Dave and Busters treats arcades as a loss leader. They make all their money on drinks and bowling.

This may have been the case when the series first forked five years ago, but they are certainly very different games now. Just compare the video I linked on the first page and video from the last PSP title; it's clear the series has been steered in a completely different direction.

You seem to know what your talking about, but D&B's website says they only have Bowling at 8 of their over 75 locations. I can't believe that is a major source of profit for them.

You seem to know what your talking about, but D&B's website says they only have Bowling at 8 of their over 75 locations. I can't believe that is a major source of profit for them.

I'm sorry, brain fart. I meant to say billiards. But I imagine drinks are still the big money.

If I pull it off, I'll see if I can get my lone vote for PC in. :p

Everything worked without a hitch until I had to enter a separate password that I supposedly set from the arcade machine itself.

It's been months, and I don't even remember if I set a password or not... or if it's numbers-only or letters and numbers.

Or do they not ask you to set a password until you link the card to a Sega account? In which case, I'm stuck until my next trip.

For those keeping score: yes, this is FOUR-factor authentication just to access a survey. IC card, email verification, password set from computer, password set from arcade machine.

Nyoro SF

Everything worked without a hitch until I had to enter a separate password that I supposedly set from the arcade machine itself.

It's been months, and I don't even remember if I set a password or not... or if it's numbers-only or letters and numbers.

Or do they not ask you to set a password until you link the card to a Sega account? In which case, I'm stuck until my next trip.

There's just too much complicated bullshit involved man! That's how I know I'm dealing with a Japanese company here. :p

I can't wait to drive 40 mins to a machine that may or may not work with my card because I didn't visit on the third Friday of the month during full moon and not wearing the proper Miku cosplay while also not playing on the machine for the requisite 50 hours before I'm allowed to register my card, right before I'm locked out post-registration because I didn't enter the four nuclear launch passwords.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Is it a good game?

I've only played the first vita Miku game, and thought it was pretty damn good, but really, really hard. Music was not super spot on to my taste, but I love rhythm games in general, so would not mind a pc/console port if it's similar to the Vita entry.

I can't wait to drive 40 mins to a machine that may or may not work with my card because I didn't visit on the third Friday of the month during full moon and not wearing the proper Miku cosplay while also not playing on the machine for the requisite 50 hours before I'm allowed to register my card, right before I'm locked out post-registration because I didn't enter the four nuclear launch passwords.

Launching a nuke would be easier than getting into this survey.

I figured it out: you need to set your password from a separate screen while at the arcade machine. http://miku.sega.jp/arcade/en/card_regist_set.html So once you go, do not leave without going into this screen.

Is it a good game?

I've only played the first vita Miku game, and thought it was pretty damn good, but really, really hard. Music was not super spot on to my taste, but I love rhythm games in general, so would not mind a pc/console port if it's similar to the Vita entry.

Check out the videos I linked on the first page with gameplay! It's different from the main series on PSP/Vita/PS3, in a very good way.

mollipen

Star notes with sticks are fine.

Nope, they aren't. Their entire idea and how they were introduced are terrible. They're notes that completely dominate (and dumb down) gameplay whenever they're present, unlike other things that have been added to the game over time (either in the PSP line or arcade line).

I mean, yeah, there are small differences/additions, but it's still pretty much the exact same basic concept for gameplay. Unlike, say, Mirai, which is a totally different system.

xzeldax3

Holy shit PC?????? I wish this survey was open to the public because it needs to be released on Steam! Edit mode would be utilized to its full potential...

Okay, instructions for accessing the survey:

I haven't gotten past the last step yet, but that should be everything required, I hope. Some DIVA.net functions are only opened for 30 days after you play the arcade game 10 times: http://miku.sega.jp/arcade/en/divanet.html I can't confirm if the survey is one of these functions yet.

muteki

No Vita. :(

Would buy on PS4, Steam or Wii U, though.

Probably hopeless optimism on my part, but I wonder now if the lack of Vita as an option could also mean that a release on that platform is a given.

They are still doing Miracle Girls Festival too.

antibolo

Banned
Nope, they aren't. Their entire idea and how they were introduced are terrible. They're notes that completely dominate (and dumb down) gameplay whenever they're present, unlike other things that have been added to the game over time (either in the PSP line or arcade line).

I disagree about them dumbing down the gameplay, at least in F 2nd. Yes they were lame in F because the timing window was so loose that you could just mash through them without following the rhythm and still get it right 95% of the time, but they fixed that in F 2nd and they are now used for some genuinely hard stuff, especially in some Extreme songs (the Kagerou Daze Chance Time comes to mind).

Nyoro SF

Okay, instructions for accessing the survey:

I haven't gotten past the last step yet, but that should be everything required, I hope. Some DIVA.net functions are only opened for 30 days after you play the arcade game 10 times: http://miku.sega.jp/arcade/en/divanet.html I can't confirm if the survey is one of these functions yet.

I'll add this to the OP for all 5 people that can pull this off.
Strangely enough, buying and registering a card for a fighting game like GGXrd or SF4 is MUCH easier.

I find it funny that you have to first use your IC card on the machine, register the IC card on the website, go back to the machine, then go back to the website.

Miku confirmed for guarding government secrets, I suppose.

I find it funny that you have to first use your IC card on the machine, register the IC card on the website, go back to the machine, then go back to the website.

I asume you should be able to do everything on the machine before registering on the website - so I should probably clarify that the steps are not necessarily in that order. I won't have the chance to test that, of course, since I'm already registered on the website now.

You might want to include the list of Round1 locations in the US as well? And maybe the gameplay videos for those who can't disambiguate between the arcade series and the series that came out on Vita/PS3 here, since that question has popped up a couple times.

It was definitely easier than that when I signed up, since I had a SEGA ID set up for PSO2 already. I accidentally left my card from the DIVA 2nd# Arcade Debut Pack at home so my account is on a plain card though =/

Nyoro SF

You might want to include the list of Round1 locations in the US as well? And maybe the gameplay videos for those who can't disambiguate between the arcade series and the series that came out on Vita/PS3 here, since that question has popped up a couple times.

Sure. I have to go back to work right now though, I'll fix and bump the thread after.

Nyoro SF

I asume you should be able to do everything on the machine before registering on the website - so I should probably clarify that the steps are not necessarily in that order. I won't have the chance to test that, of course, since I'm already registered on the website now.

I gotcha. Well, I'll leave it the way it is for now just so I can access it quickly on my phone.

Deft Beck

Small note regarding the Miku arcade games: Even if one were to acquire a Project Diva Arcade/Future Tone machine for use in the States, if you are not connected to Sega's proprietary network, the machine will only work offline for 1337 plays.

Small note regarding the Miku arcade games: Even if one were to acquire a Project Diva Arcade/Future Tone machine for use in the States, if you are not connected to Sega's proprietary network, the machine will only work offline for 1337 plays.

I should clarify the number is a rough estimate the owner of that particular machine made (poor guy, now owns a very expensive paperweight). It's also possible there were a number of offline plays before he acquired the machine, which would also throw the count off.

Nyoro SF

I should clarify the number is a rough estimate the owner of that particular machine made (poor guy, now owns a very expensive paperweight). It's also possible there were a number of offline plays before he acquired the machine, which would also throw the count off.

However Round 1 doesn't have to worry as their machines are officially connected to SEGA, right?

Takao

Banned
Probably hopeless optimism on my part, but I wonder now if the lack of Vita as an option could also mean that a release on that platform is a given.

They are still doing Miracle Girls Festival too.

I suspect Sega has come to the realization that making F 2nd multi-plat from the start only hurt the game. I don't think they'll stop making Miku on Vita and 3DS. The games sell too well on those machines.

I guess the Miku PS4 game teased last year got cancelled and will be replaced with an arcade port.

TP

The idea of Project Diva on my PC
oh my god

WCZ9Gnk.gif

cj_iwakura

Wait, really? I thought they still put out stuff.

I wish I knew why Namco have given up on Maximum Tune in the US. I'm sad that so many great games are getting released and I can't play them.

I wish I knew why Namco have given up on Maximum Tune in the US. I'm sad that so many great games are getting released and I can't play them.

Yes, US-side operations appear to be spun down. They do still manage an office in Europe, and their output appears to make it to the US in a limited fashion, but the game lineup is definitely not similar to what is published in Japan - it's all licensed cash-ins developed by third parties.

Genki

Oh man, going from the thread title to the actual content was so disappointing. When I was in Japan last year I don't think I could buy the games they've released on Steam, and they even blocked me from buying their Humble bundle. They're actively trying to prevent PC sales in Japan so I can't imagine anything happening from this on that front.

Mate not only are you dead wrong but this isn't even relevant to the thread in question. Do you want to get banned so badly?

Wow, I didn't expect this reaction. I'm sorry if you're confused by my post or more likely it looks like you're upset with my opinion. Perhaps I was mistaken(I don't think I was), but I thought this thread was about a survey Sega is running to gauge the interest in porting the arcade version of Hatsune Mikue to consoles, mobile, or PC. Let me elaborate on my post since it seems like you're confused how it relates to this thread:

I don't think the arcade version of Hatsune Miku deserves a PC release. As such, the idea of a PC port doesn't appeal to me and if I were to take the survey I would say no to a release. I feel this way because I think Osu! has strikingly similar mechanics implemented better and easily fills the same niche a PC port of Hatsune Miku would fill.

Seems super clear to me that the lack of Vita/3DS on the list implies they're gonna keep making Mirai and Project Diva f games for the platforms.

This seems like their move to other platforms, since the portable stuff already does well for them.

Nyoro SF

Seems super clear to me that the lack of Vita/3DS on the list implies they're gonna keep making Mirai and Project Diva f games for the platforms.

This seems like their move to other platforms, since the portable stuff already does well for them.

Yeah that's what I was thinking when I first saw it. SEGA is already up in there with 3DS and Vita, so they're asking around about home console stuff.

Wow, I didn't expect this reaction. I'm sorry if you're confused by my post or more likely it looks like you're upset with my opinion. Perhaps I was mistaken(I don't think I was), but I thought this thread was about a survey Sega is running to gauge the interest in porting the arcade version of Hatsune Mikue to consoles, mobile, or PC. Let me elaborate on my post since it seems like you're confused how it relates to this thread:

I don't think the arcade version of Hatsune Miku deserves a PC release. As such, the idea of a PC port doesn't appeal to me and if I were to take the survey I would say no to a release. I feel this way because I think Osu! has strikingly similar mechanics implemented better and easily fills the same niche a PC port of Hatsune Miku would fill.

When I say "get banned", I mean you are off-topic (making it "versus" other rhythm games) and inciting a flame war by bringing up a comparison no one even remotely believes works. By making it you have made it incredibly clear that you haven't even played the Diva games and are just wasting everyone's time. Not to mention this bizarre, assured no confidence vote specifically on PC despite the survey mentioning multiple platforms...

Consider yourself very lucky that nearly everyone here are big rhythm game fans that have played all sorts of rhythm games such as Ouendan/EBA/Osu, Rhythm Heaven, Beatmania and DDR/Stepmania so we could all collectively laugh at your bad comparison without an actual flame war taking place and triggering mod intervention. Otherwise it would be a lot more bloody in here, and junior bans are permanent casualties.

Nah

How about Jet Set Radio Future HD instead?

miku_miss_take.mp4

zeroroute

Banned

Probably because anything niche to an FEC (Family Entertainment Center) will get shot down. That could be why Dead Heat is a thing.

mothball

Round1 is the biggest force out there right now pushing for change, and even they are running into issues bringing over everything they want (see DDR, pop'n music, Wangan Midnight, Initial D, and many fighting games still being old versions running offline).

What's up with that, anyway? Weird to think Konami would be uppity about licensing those two to R1 when they already have IIDX and Gitadora, and Gitadora has a ton of licensed music as well.

Back on track: Mikufan posted a translation of the possible options on the survey. Voting ends April 24 (in Japan, so April 23 for most of us in the US).

HOW TO ACCESS POLL:
1: Login to DIVA.NET
2: Click “アンケート実施中”.
3: Click “アンケートに回答する”.

QUESTIONS IN POLL:
Q1. Gender
* Male
* Female

Q2. Age
* 14 years or younger
* 15-19 years
* 20-24 years
* 25-29 years
* 30-34 years
* 35-39 years
* 40-44 years
* 45-49 years
* 50+ years

Q3. Where did you first hear about/play Project Diva Arcade
* SEGA feat. HATSUNE MIKU Project official website(http://miku.sega.jp/).
* SEGA feat. HATSUNE MIKU Project official blog(Http://info.miku.sega.jp/)
* SEGA feat. HATSUNE MIKU Project official twitter(https://twitter.com/pjd_sega).
* Game Center
* Recommended by friends
* Social Network (such as Facebook, Twitter, etc.).
* Video sharing website (such as YouTube, NicoNico, etc.).
* News and articles from the Internet
* Web blog
* Others (please specify in Japanese or English).

Q4. How many music games are you currently playing? (including game Project Diva Arcade).
* 1 game (playing a game Project Diva Arcade).
* 2 – 3 games
* 4 – 5 games
* 6 – 9 games
* 10+ games

Q5. Factors that makes you enjoy Project Diva Arcade
(Can choose more than one answer).
* 4-button and slide the touch.
* Quality of PV modules
* Quality of music
* To be able to change modules and accessories as you like.
* Notes on the screen
* Festa and Contest event.
* Skins and collection cards
* PV mode
* DIVAPro
* No factor

Q6. Factors that make Project Diva Arcade game not fun.
* 4-button and slide the touch.
* Quality of PV modules
* Quality of music
* To be able to change modules and accessories as you like.
* Notes on the screen
* Festa and Contest event.
* Skins and collection cards
* PV mode
* DIVAPro
* No factor

Q7. In addition to the arcades, which gaming platforms would you prefer to play Project Diva Arcade on (First choice)
* PlayStation 3
* PlayStation 4
* Xbox One
* Wii U
* PC
* Smartphone
* None

Q8. In addition to the arcades, which gaming platforms would you prefer to play Project Diva Arcade on (Second choice)
* PlayStation 3
* PlayStation 4
* Xbox One
* Wii U
* PC
* Smartphone
* None

Q9. If you could play Project Diva Arcade on the desired gaming platforms, what factors would you like to be in the game?
* Notes on screen (Project Diva Arcade)
* Tutorial (Project Diva Arcade)
* Graphics (Project Diva Arcade)
* To be able to change modules and accessories as you like
* PV mode
* Satisfying cost per play
* To be able to play anyime, anywhere
* None

Q10. How much do you spend on music games monthly?
* Approximately 100 yen (about 1 USD).
* Approximately 500 yen (about 5 USD).
* Approximately 1,000 yen (about 10 USD).
* Approximately 5,000 yen (about 50 USD).
* Approximately 10,000 yen (about 100 USD).
* Higher than 10,000 yen

Q11. How much do you spend on Project Diva Arcade monthly?
* Approximately 100 yen (about 1 USD).
* Approximately 500 yen (about 5 USD).
* Approximately 1,000 yen (about 10 USD).
* Approximately 5,000 yen (about 50 USD).
* Approximately 10,000 yen (about 100 USD).
* Higher than 10,000 yen

Q12. Factors to be expected in the future is
* Add new original songs for Project Diva Arcade.
* Added new original modules for Project Diva Arcade.
* Add new original accessories for Project Diva Arcade.
* Add new event.
* Updated DIVAPro activities
* Community system that allow connections with other players
* None

Survey period ends in just over two hours. I just did mine - thankfully, it does not require you to have played recently. There was no way I was going to make it out to play 10 games within the survey period to reactivate my DIVA.Net full access.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Would love to see this on PS4 in 60FPS glory. Too bad I live like 2500 miles from the nearest machine :p Of all places, Texas has one but not NYC???

The round 1 by my house has a couple of Diva machines. After playing on them its hard to play the console versions that we currently have. Would love a PC port with an Diva controller.

Nyoro SF

Survey period ends in just over two hours. I just did mine - thankfully, it does not require you to have played recently. There was no way I was going to make it out to play 10 games within the survey period to reactivate my DIVA.Net full access.

So then I have to ask... what did you vote for? :p

The round 1 by my house has a couple of Diva machines. After playing on them its hard to play the console versions that we currently have. Would love a PC port with an Diva controller.

The best part is if it came to PC you could play with any controller you wanted.

It would be amusing if you could play the game with another game's rhythm controller on PC like a DDR pad, though slide inputs... hm...

Regardless of platform they'll have to figure out how to handle slide inputs anyway.

Top Bottom