• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Genesis/MegaDrive Appreciation Thread: Alien Storm > Golden Axe

baphomet

Is the unfiltered YM3438 the "System C-2" version? Or is that different still? I'd like to try one of these mods, but it gets a bit confusing with the different versions.

No idea what a system c-2 is. The amp is entirely Dependant on your motherboard version. The only choice you have is between filtered and unfiltered.

Slermy

System C-2 is the arcade equivalent of the Genesis / Mega Drive. There's a variant of this board design that is based on this audio standard instead. When installed, the console's audio would mimic that of the arcades using the C-2 boards. It sounds a little different, but I like it.

YouTube example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axcxR2_XEIc

Voltage usually has to be the same, but every internal circuitry, when well made, allows a percentage of variation (because our energy distribution system is not very good). So, if a circuit needs 9v, it'll work on 9.5v or 8.5v, because we can't guarantee that the nation-wide energy distribution system will always be stable - and those are fictional numbers. There's no hard rule on how much variation a circuit allows.

Amperage, on the other hand, is much simpler: Technically, electronic devices will only use as much amperage as they need. So, if a console requires 1000mA to work and the PSU provides 1500mA, no worries. The console will only use 1000mA.

If I were you, i'd look for a proper voltage adapter, while you can go up in amperage without any problem. Using lower PSUs on a device will, eventually, lead to problems, as there won't be enough energy to run the device properly, but I doubt any actual damage could be done.
Thanks for the advice.

Oddly enough, I haven't seen a single report of somebody's X'Eye dying from using a Genesis Model 2 adapter (which pumps even less mA than the PCE adapter) despite the warnings. Not that I'm going to press my luck with it and be the first, but I'll probably also not prohibit myself from starting Lunar 2 while I go on a rare item hunt.

I picked up a repro cart of Snow Brothers for the Mega Drive. It's a fun Bubble Bobble type game.

It's the Japanese version but everything has been in English so far.

Teknoman

How would that work? Would we take screen shots/grabs of our scores?

Pretty much. To take an idea from Nintendo/segaage.com Maybe set a certain rule depending on the game? If it shows the score after game over, play till that screen. If you've made it all the way to the end, take a pic of your score at the beginning of the last stage, etc. etc.

Pretty much depends on how the game we're playing works in score / time.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Are there any difference between NHL 94 on the Genesis vs the Sega CD?

Are there any difference between NHL 94 on the Genesis vs the Sega CD?

Mostly on the audio side. New CD audio for the menu music and during the game they added in real crowd sounds and a live organist as CD audio. The audio drew raves back then, but I don't know, to me the crowd sound comes off as a little disjointed cause once the CD track ends, you get silence until it hits repeat. And after awhile, I kind of missed the cart version of the organ music. Oh, and they threw in some FMV clips from NHL games in the intro.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I do not envy those who seek CIB cardboard box games. Bless you lot; I hope your sanity and wallet fare well.

I think I have pretty bad OCD at times, but once we're talking about buying plastic boxes to house our cardboard boxes, I'm just "nope"ing all the way past that idea.

Khaz

Pretty much this. Although I have yet to start collecting for systems having their games in cardboard boxes like Nintendo's. I do have a soft spot for manuals though, and I'm not sure of which, cart+box or cart+manual is more common. From my experience with plastic boxed games, manuals are a bitch to find and I may be in trouble for some games.

With the clamshell sega games it's relatively easy to find box and game, but box+game+manual is a struggle. Manuals seemingly get lost way easier than the boxes, which makes sense.

televator

My best friend was complaining about buying cart only games and then needing tu buy UGC cases while we were at a newly discovered game store near ASU yesterday... I simply pointed out a boxed copy of sunset riders that the store had displayed for $150. I had gifted him a cart only copy that cost me $40 not too long ago. He got the point.

Teknoman

I am totally down for a retro challenge. Name it, I am in.

That sounds like it could be fun. If I have the game, I'd be down.

I wonder if we should start things off with a shoot em up...or maybe a beat em up? I forget whether or not Golden Axe 2 / Alien Storm record score. We could just roll with Thunder Force 3 for starters?

Should we make a thread for it, or just keep it here, since its just for fun? I would try to pull something like Gunstarhero and have a prize...but I dont really have anything to give away atm.

Mzo

If the price difference is $5-$20 I go for boxed. If the price difference is $100 or so the box can GET FUCKED.

I wonder if we should start things off with a shoot em up...or maybe a beat em up? I forget whether or not Golden Axe 2 / Alien Storm record score. We could just roll with Thunder Force 3 for starters?

Should we make a thread for it, or just keep it here, since its just for fun? I would try to pull something like Gunstarhero and have a prize...but I dont really have anything to give away atm.

If you get them interested enough and wanna pick a game, i'll still throw something in!

Fox Mulder

Cart only always. I don't need anymore useless crap taking up space. My closet is literally packed full of boxes.

I didn't care about boxes as a kid, and don't now. Genesis is easier to find complete usually, but I'm really only after carts unless complete copies fall in my lap.

Cool, because I want to try to make it a weekly/monthly thing. On that note, should it just be retro in general, or just cover Sega systems since the idea popped up here?

If we keep it here, make it Sega. That's what i'd be able to put in good prizes for. If you wanna do general retro, make a thread, and i'll put up a 5 or under Steam game or something smaller.

baphomet

Cool, because I want to try to make it a weekly/monthly thing. On that note, should it just be retro in general, or just cover Sega systems since the idea popped up here?

I say we keep it Sega for now. I was hoping to come in to find what game was picked so I could put some time into it. I'm down with the thunder force suggestion, but really up for anything.

Foxix Von

Oh, oh, oh, yes.

I'm so down for some Lightening Force love. I'm probably super rusty at it and my TVs geometry is a blurry wreck but goddamnit I will whip as much alien ass as I possibly can.

I.E., Not much at all but I'm still so down for this.

Peagles

Anyone here played Magical Tarurūto-kun? Impressions? I should receive in the next few days, and it looks kinda fun from what I've seen.

Oh, oh, oh, yes.

I'm so down for some Lightening Force love. I'm probably super rusty at it and my TVs geometry is a blurry wreck but goddamnit I will whip as much alien ass as I possibly can.

I.E., Not much at all but I'm still so down for this.

I'm down for some Lightening Force

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
A game isn't truly complete without a holographic cover.

MD-CutieSuzukiRingsideAngel-3D_cover-vgo.jpg
True swag.

stewy

Hey all.

I got to hang out with Kevin Larrabee on Back In My Play and chat about the music of the Genesis/Mega Drive for a few hours.

Figure this crowd might appreciate it :) Check it out here.

Top Bottom