• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Genesis/MegaDrive Appreciation Thread: Alien Storm > Golden Axe

woodypop

From my experience, lenticular images have that "ribbed" texture when you run your finger over them. It's the texture that changes what you see at different angles. Hologram surfaces are flat and smooth.

So, thanks to all of the Splatoon hype around here, I started watching a show called Squid Girl, which kept being brought up. The Mega Drive, sometimes with Mega CD model 1 attached, keeps making cameos a lot in it. I thought it was neat, so I thought I'd post about it here:

SJXaVf4.jpg

M2FVnbI.jpg

t6cI9nr.jpg

And the 32X gets a cameo, too!

3CTE2Uf.gif

Unlike the Streets of Rage (or I guess "Bare Knuckle," in this case) shot above, though, the names in Virtua Fighter got changed. :(

So, thanks to all of the Splatoon hype around here, I started watching a show called Squid Girl, which kept being brought up. The Mega Drive, sometimes with Mega CD model 1 attached, keeps making cameos a lot in it. I thought it was neat, so I thought I'd post about it here:

And the 32X gets a cameo, too!

Unlike the Streets of Rage (or I guess "Bare Knuckle," in this case) shot above, though, the names in Virtua Fighter got changed. :(

Hehe. Cool.

Teknoman

Hey all.

I got to hang out with Kevin Larrabee on Back In My Play and chat about the music of the Genesis/Mega Drive for a few hours.

Figure this crowd might appreciate it :) Check it out here.

One of the best episodes.

Ok so i guess a shooter would fit as the first game to kick this off. So on that note, would more people own TF3 or Lightening? Also what do you guys think is a good time frame? 2 weeks or full 4 weeks?

Basically you would keep trying to get a better score until the deadline and take a pic with your username stuck to the screen as proof.

One of the best episodes.

Ok so i guess a shooter would fit as the first game to kick this off. So on that note, would more people own TF3 or Lightening? Also what do you guys think is a good time frame? 2 weeks or full 4 weeks?

Basically you would keep trying to get a better score until the deadline and take a pic with your username stuck to the screen as proof.

Hey, if we did Lightning Force, i could put another Shooter up as a gift. Maybe a copy of the game i just reviewed recently called Curse!

Mercutio

So this is kind of a bummer.

I got a really nice Model 1 Genesis today, and the picture is great through my XRGB. However, sudden glitches, screen jumping, and occasionally this:

IMAG0282_zpsws05prhy.jpg

Is this thing screwed? Roughly 50% of the time, it's fine. I'm seeing glitches when I hook it up with RF, as well.

Mercutio

I think I figured it out: it seems to have been an issue with the sync level of the XRGB Mini. I upped the sync level, and the Genesis picture stopped jumping.

Teknoman

Looks like it'll be Thunder Force IV / Lightening Force, and a week (Saturday to Saturday) should be good enough actually. I'll start working on the post and the rules tomorrow evening, and then i'll actually post on the 28th.

Also if anyone else has any game ideas for the next few, dont forget to post em. We'll just stick with Genesis for now (you can access the game by whatever means though). I'll probably copy abit of the format from the usual Nintendoage contests.

IrishNinja

Hmm, what do most people do about the overscan on the Genesis with an XRGB mini? Something to just live with?

*sigh* yeah, there's a few Retro filters that don't always entirely block it out...kinda the cost of entry. NES does it horizontally even on my RGB modded unit, ive come to take these things as part of the experience.

Mercutio

*sigh* yeah, there's a few Retro filters that don't always entirely block it out...kinda the cost of entry. NES does it horizontally even on my RGB modded unit, ive come to take these things as part of the experience.

I guess I'll play with some settings. I don't REALLY mind it, it's just not as nice looking as my SNES with RGB. It's odd; sometimes I get the little pixels of color in the lower left, and other times not. I wonder what causes that?

Really, with scanlines though, I have no complaints about the image inside the overscan. It is just wonderful. And holy crap, I got a V6 Genesis... the sound is spectacular. I've routed everything through my Bottlehead Tube Amp and have some Sennheiser HD600's plugged in; Sonic is just so good sounding. What a waste that so few people heard this game in mono! They did SO much cool stereo stuff.

Rich!

So this is kind of a bummer.

I got a really nice Model 1 Genesis today, and the picture is great through my XRGB. However, sudden glitches, screen jumping, and occasionally this:

IMAG0282_zpsws05prhy.jpg

Is this thing screwed? Roughly 50% of the time, it's fine. I'm seeing glitches when I hook it up with RF, as well.

sonic 2's splitscreen mode is...odd. it renders two full frame images on separate lines. It's effectively double the vertical resolution, and designed for TV sets' flaws.

but the XRGB dooooes noooot liiiiike ittt.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
put my other shelf together today was hoping i could get my genesis and sega cd stuff on it but i ended up having more genesis games then i thought i had but i still got 2 more shelves i gotta put together so should be able to get that stuff on those

i got a quarterly award at work today so i expanded my sega collection a bit with some of the prize money:

32x
sega cd
sonic cd
space harrier
doom 32x

:)

the rest will go to bills

Mzo

Nice review. I always found the Genesis version kind of pointless, but I didn't know you could use two controllers. That redeems it a tiny bit. Still ugly, though, and especially pointless since the SNES version is unquestionably better in every regard.

I don't think you mentioned it, but it was either a launch or super early XBLA game as well, arcade perfect and with online play. Too bad it had a shitty achievement to beat the game without continuing (fuck you!) and, even if you did it with the invincibility trick, the achievement was bugged anyway. Lovely.

Also, why don't you pan the camera up a little instead of slouching into the frame? And I hate, hate, hate when people sound out SSSSNESSSS. Ew.

Krorg

I finally set up my mega drive again and have been been playing through the games and adding some I missed out on the first time around. I'm really enjoying it, I'd forgotten just how good the mega drive is.

womp

Hey, anyone here going to TooManyGames this weekend?

If I survive my emergency Friday Wisdom Teeth surgery....I will be there.

I have some Master System games I am bringing to trade with a buddy of mine and was considering bringing my boxed MUSHA as trade bait as well. Looking to pick up a power adapter for my old Nomad as I seemed to have misplaced it. :/

Teknoman

Hey, if we did Lightning Force, i could put another Shooter up as a gift. Maybe a copy of the game i just reviewed recently called Curse!

Working on the thread now. I need to dig around to see what kind of interesting things I could pitch in as prizes for future week contests. Hoping this will be more popular (by a bit) than the year of saturn :p

Nice review. I always found the Genesis version kind of pointless, but I didn't know you could use two controllers. That redeems it a tiny bit. Still ugly, though, and especially pointless since the SNES version is unquestionably better in every regard.

I don't think you mentioned it, but it was either a launch or super early XBLA game as well, arcade perfect and with online play. Too bad it had a shitty achievement to beat the game without continuing (fuck you!) and, even if you did it with the invincibility trick, the achievement was bugged anyway. Lovely.

Also, why don't you pan the camera up a little instead of slouching into the frame? And I hate, hate, hate when people sound out SSSSNESSSS. Ew.

Good notes, ill make sure to note on those. Also, i mention the other versions in passing when im talking about having no real reason to go through all that trouble just to play the game on a Sega Genesis, but do it just because i'm a Sega fan.

So, the preferable treatment would be just says S-N-E-S?

If I survive my emergency Friday Wisdom Teeth surgery....I will be there.

I have some Master System games I am bringing to trade with a buddy of mine and was considering bringing my boxed MUSHA as trade bait as well. Looking to pick up a power adapter for my old Nomad as I seemed to have misplaced it. :/

Oh thats cool. I'm bringing some loose carts and a disc only Sega CD games in the hopes of using them for trade fodder, but i have no idea.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I thought internet forums were just bullshitting me until I actually heard a Youtuber or two say "snessss." Wtf.

A dude I went to school with used say "snezz", bleh.

Was he English?

Yeah, I only knew about the dual controller mode in the NES version of Smash TV. Wasn't aware it was in the Genesis one too.

Mercutio

That white model 1 megadrive looks so lush, I want one.

Can you buy replacement cases at all?

The Model 1 has the woooooooooorst and least mod friendly case. The damned power switch is SEALED inside of plastic! It wasn't enough to just snap a little plastic part there... they had to SEAL it with more melted plastic!

Tonight I'll post a comparison of my busted Taiwan made model vs my working Japanese made 1, inside. The Taiwanese made one is SO bad.

put my other shelf together today was hoping i could get my genesis and sega cd stuff on it but i ended up having more genesis games then i thought i had but i still got 2 more shelves i gotta put together so should be able to get that stuff on those

UUnngh.. Does ghemes.

Love your game shelfs. I'd recommend some kind of curtain you can quickly pull down and lock onto the bottom of the shelf. It's protect from sun damage and it'd be so cool to go 'Whoosh, here're da games!'

UUnngh.. Does ghemes.

Love your game shelfs. I'd recommend some kind of curtain you can quickly pull down and lock onto the bottom of the shelf. It's protect from sun damage and it'd be so cool to go 'Whoosh, here're da games!'

LMAO, that would be cool. Plus you could disguise your power level around people.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
yup it dose

UUnngh.. Does ghemes.

also if the cops come for me i could hide behind them and if they do find me when they draw back the curtain i could still be like heres da games then while they are baffled i can jump out the window its brilliant

The Model 1 has the woooooooooorst and least mod friendly case. The damned power switch is SEALED inside of plastic! It wasn't enough to just snap a little plastic part there... they had to SEAL it with more melted plastic!

Tonight I'll post a comparison of my busted Taiwan made model vs my working Japanese made 1, inside. The Taiwanese made one is SO bad.

The dream is dead, rip.

One day someone will make a mod friendly console, the original ps3 nearly had it with changeable plates on the top.

Mercutio

The dream is dead, rip.

One day someone will make a mod friendly console, the original ps3 nearly had it with changeable plates on the top.

I think most things are mod friendly in comparison though. PCE, Saturn, SNES, NES, etc etc. All have removable buttons and are easy to get into.

Top Bottom