• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Genesis/MegaDrive Appreciation Thread: Alien Storm > Golden Axe

lazygecko

Looking at the Steam page for Alien Soldier, I can tell it's the localized version cause the title screen lacks the awesome bragging in Engrish. But, does this mean it's just a straight emulation of the PAL version at 50hz, or did they adjust it to play at the intended speed for this version?

Khaz

Looking at the Steam page for Alien Soldier, I can tell it's the localized version cause the title screen lacks the awesome bragging in Engrish. But, does this mean it's just a straight emulation of the PAL version at 50hz, or did they adjust it to play at the intended speed for this version?

Oh, it's one of those games where they optimised the music for 50Hz (and play too fast at 60Hz) but the gameplay is still slower.

lazygecko

Oh, it's one of those games where they optimised the music for 50Hz (and play too fast at 60Hz) but the gameplay is still slower.

That's the case with the physical PAL release. I'm wondering if this was corrected for the Steam version, since there was no localized NTSC version.

I recently discovered the Thunder Force 4 soundtrack (Thanks, Classic Game Room).

It blew my mind that the Megadrive sound chip could produce such amazing heavy metal.

Some tracks use up to 4 out of the 6 FM channels just for the guitar sound. It's layered with 2 different "high" and "low" guitar timbres, and then those 2 are double tracked. It's pretty much the same technique as a modern metal studio production. There is also a lot of fast portamento and such between notes to simulate how real guitar players move their hand across the frets.

Gyrian

I've seen a couple of brand new wireless 6B pads on ebay, but not the set that includes the receiver.
It broke my heart to see these listed a NCSX as of 2009, I think, at $25 brand new.

While we're on controllers, I had no idea whatsoever that (1) Sega had an official arcade stick and that (2) it had proper microswitches in the Japanese version! Given the games I've been picking up lately, I am definitely onto these now.

I recently heard that too.

I have the NA 6-button arcade stick and it's the rubber contacts instead of proper microswitches. We got short-changed over here!

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I recently discovered the Thunder Force 4 soundtrack (Thanks, Classic Game Room).

It blew my mind that the Megadrive sound chip could produce such amazing heavy metal.
Yeah it really can. Heh that's almost the Doom riff, even. Here's another example of Genesis metal music, though not quite in the same way as the Thunder Force music, but more in terms of percussion and "riffing" style :)
Shining Force - Battle 3 (those blast beats!)
Shining Force - Darksol and Dark Dragon
And someone here on GAF (IIRC) described this as "math metal", and I can't say they were wrong:
Shining Force II - Final Battle
Funny thing is that I hate math metal, but this is actually awesome. Go figure. Interestingly, SF1 and 2 had different composers, but you wouldn't now that just based on those samples I think.

IrishNinja

it was my fault, guise

i wrote to sega as a kid & demanded proper non-clicky arcade sticks, so we got rubber parts. they read my letters & i regret nothing

IrishNinja

look - in the year of our lord 2014, we have internets and fancy words like microswitches and sanwa & whatever

in the early 90's, arcades were king. coin-op sticks at the bodega/jamaican patty spot, laundromat, movie lobby, arcade etc...they didn't click when i moved em. neither did the 3 or 6 button genesis arcade sticks and i love them.

i think it's great we have more knowledge on specifics now but i honestly don't give two tugs of a dead dog's cock if there's nanoseconds of better accuracy on non-rubber parts from glorious nippon & such; those sticks were tanks and held up to literally decades of abuse in fighters, SHMUPs, run & gun, sanic etc and never once let me down. I can appreciate wanting the best option but some of ya'll are throwing these things in the bushes like newjacks

Mark from CGR said it best: i like sticks that look awesome and are nearly as big as the system itself. the only complaint i had about my 3 button arcade stick was we played it so much, the paint/whatever on the bottom started coming off over the years here & there, and if you rested it on your legs it'd sometimes static shock your hairs. do you understand what i'm saying? this thing could possibly spark your ballhair and i sitll think it's great

Fularu

Banned
look - in the year of our lord 2014, we have internets and fancy words like microswitches and sanwa & whatever

in the early 90's, arcades were king. coin-op sticks at the bodega/jamaican patty spot, laundromat, movie lobby, arcade etc...they didn't click when i moved em. neither did the 3 or 6 button genesis arcade sticks and i love them.

i think it's great we have more knowledge on specifics now but i honestly don't give two tugs of a dead dog's cock if there's nanoseconds of better accuracy on non-rubber parts from glorious nippon & such; those sticks were tanks and held up to literally decades of abuse in fighters, SHMUPs, run & gun, sanic etc and never once let me down. I can appreciate wanting the best option but some of ya'll are throwing these things in the bushes like newjacks

Mark from CGR said it best: i like sticks that look awesome and are nearly as big as the system itself. the only complaint i had about my 3 button arcade stick was we played it so much, the paint/whatever on the bottom started coming off over the years here & there, and if you rested it on your legs it'd sometimes static shock your hairs. do you understand what i'm saying? this thing could possibly spark your ballhair and i sitll think it's great

I own two and I definitely agree...

Too bad they're at my parent's place in Paris, far far away from me :(

I was just bustin' on ya man. I actually do love both my 6-button sticks. I actually had to look up what Sixteen-Bit was talking about because it went over my head a bit haha.

Gyrian

Watching the CGR 6B stick review was part of my discovery; microswitch or not, these sticks look fantastic!
I'm sort of in awe at just how much controller variety we got on this platform, and I think there's something to love in each of the official ones.

On the non-Sega side, I wonder how these turned out? It can still be had new in eBay.

My holy grail MD stick would be Micomsoft's XE-1 ST-2

XE1.jpg

That's got to be mad rare.

onken

I had the official 3 button stick back in the day. It became really unresponsive in the end and my brother actually broke off the stick trying to pull off a pole vault in Olympic Gold.

Mercutio

I would throw my multi-tap into the damned street if I found the PC Engine version of that Micomsoft stick. I want it so badly.

Mercutio

Teknoman

Another heads up on those with a creepy / horror backlog. The 2nd GAF plays 31 nights of horror thread is in full effect.

Also are there any other sakimoto scored Genesis games beside bad omen and gauntlet iv?

Gyrian

Not a ton less, actually.

http://page9.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/k176670310

Oh, shit. I wish I hadn't searched. There's a FamiCom one up on YAJ for 8,000Y.

http://buyee.jp/item/yahoo/auction/e149238316/lang/en/rc/yaucc

Someone please buy it so I don't.

The two you found look way better! The Famicom version looks delicious, and essentially pristine...

edit: he has more listed on his website: http://sakimoto.cocoebiz.com/discography/

Holy shit, Sakimoto composed Bubble Ghost! I've been a fan even longer than I knew, haha.

Fularu

Banned
Wow...I actually own 3 (Master of Monsters is the outlier but only because i've heard bad things about it) out of those, but haven't put much time into them. The bit I did to test the carts, I liked the first stage music.

I can't bring myself to pay 80+ for Verytex...

One day if I find a cheap copy... maybe.

Fularu

Banned
I forgot how much I got it for (cart only) but it wasnt 80.

The cheapest one on ebay right now is 80. And all of them are complete copies, no cart only version.

This is quite odd. You find tons of cart only SFC games on beay but very very few cart only Megadrive games.

Teknoman

The cheapest one on ebay right now is 80. And all of them are complete copies, no cart only version.

This is quite odd. You find tons of cart only SFC games on beay but very very few cart only Megadrive games.

Try that amazon link. 50 bucks so far.

EDIT: "The Genesis port's music was composed by Hayato Matsuo, with sound design by Hitoshi Sakimoto and advised by Koichi Sugiyama." Master of Monsters cant be a bad game with a soundtrack consisting of such legendary...legends. Right? Unless i'm thinking of another game, and Master of Monsters is actually good.

In other news, have you guys seen Project Y lately?

Teasers-Project-Y-5.jpg

The instant preorders hit for this, someone here has to post a link.

Fularu

Banned
Try that amazon link. 50 bucks so far.

I'm not in the US so shipping usually ends up beeing super high. Also all those Amazon copies are cart only. 55$ for a cart only is rather steep. At that point I'll take the 80$ one.

I'll keep looking though, after all I did end up paying 25$ for my CIB copy of Robo aleste

Nothing beats Road Avenger's

Ha. I actually watched that the other day. They re-released an HD re-mastered version on iOS and I broke it out for old time's sake.

They also did Cobra Command. I was hoping they would do Time Gal as well, but the developer doing the conversions started having sales success with their original IP, and I don't think they ever looked back.

Teknoman

I'm not in the US so shipping usually ends up beeing super high. Also all those Amazon copies are cart only. 55$ for a cart only is rather steep. At that point I'll take the 80$ one.

I'll keep looking though, after all I did end up paying 25$ for my CIB copy of Robo aleste

Oh crap, sorry about that >_<

Ban Puncher

Why is Mutant League Football a dime a dozen but Mutant League Hockey costs an arm and a leg?

I want my Mutant Ice Capades god damn it.

Mercutio

The two you found look way better! The Famicom version looks delicious, and essentially pristine...

Holy shit, Sakimoto composed Bubble Ghost! I've been a fan even longer than I knew, haha.

Things on YAJ are always way better than described, too. I got a Duo R there a while ago... the pictures were iffy but seemed good. What I actually got? A CIB Duo R with all packing materials, a clean box, a reciept from 1994, and plastic covering still on the controller. All for under $200.

IrishNinja

It has a name. They're not releasing it until the trademarks and legal provisions are in place.

right, the name's not publicly known because of stuff that should've already been done - much like screens, info, release date etc

you really don't think they're being especially tight-lipped about this one, knight?

@MUWANdo

Banned
right, the name's not publicly known because of stuff that should've already been done - much like screens, info, release date etc

you really don't think they're being especially tight-lipped about this one, knight?

You didn't follow Pier Solar, did you? Don't expect any substantial media/info before release--if you want to buy this game you're gonna have to go in blindly and hope you get a copy before the ebay scalpers nab 'em all, and then hope that it doesn't suck.

IrishNinja

you're right, i didn't - but man, is that a dumb business model. almost as bad as trying to buy something with the way their site's setup.

Top Bottom