• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Genesis/MegaDrive Appreciation Thread: Alien Storm > Golden Axe

you're right, i didn't - but man, is that a dumb business model. almost as bad as trying to buy something with the way their site's setup.

Its really frustrating. I'm lucky i got mine, as Pier Solar basically fell into my lap. I liked it enough though, that i hope i can get Project Y when it finally has a release ready. I love my beat-em ups.

You didn't follow Pier Solar, did you? Don't expect any substantial media/info before release--if you want to buy this game you're gonna have to go in blindly and hope you get a copy before the ebay scalpers nab 'em all, and then hope that it doesn't suck.

They're better than some. At least they've kept reprinting Pier Solar, so you can still buy it! Good luck buying most of NG.Dev Team's games, for example... you can't, outside of ebay. It's ridiculous that they so rarely reprint games. I can see not redoing runs of the Neo-Geo cartridges, but there's no excuse for the Dreamcast versions!

IrishNinja

agreed, but then ive also been waiting for my Pier Solar reprint for quite a while now too - recently got a letter about some extras for the wait, which is neat but i hope it doesn't just keep us waiting still longer

agreed, but then ive also been waiting for my Pier Solar reprint for quite a while now too - recently got a letter about some extras for the wait, which is neat but i hope it doesn't just keep us waiting still longer

I'm over a year now and past the point of anticipation. So really at this point as long as I get it in the next 5 years it will be no different.

Gyrian

you're right, i didn't - but man, is that a dumb business model. almost as bad as trying to buy something with the way their site's setup.

No joke. I thought of buying Pier Solar once, but their store certainly discouraged me.
I hope it's easier to get ahold of Project Y, I really enjoy the genre.

right, the name's not publicly known because of stuff that should've already been done - much like screens, info, release date etc

you really don't think they're being especially tight-lipped about this one, knight?

Yeah, they are. But I also know that I've already pre-ordered it and I'll probably like it for a few reasons:

a) Finally, a new ACTION game for the system instead of an RPG
b) Watermelon can pull off crazy graphics and sound, which for me is a big part of the fun
c) If you're a big Genesis fan - and this goes for most retro fans - then you've probably played and enjoyed shittier games than Project Y will end up being (even in the worst case). Probably shittier beat em ups.

So, all that to say I guess I don't really care. If they want to be mum about the title, that's their thing. I don't see any reason to get worked up about it.

But you're right, what I posted wasn't a very good excuse if you're from the camp that wants more disclosure.

My only guess is that the disclosure people want is coming very soon.

You didn't follow Pier Solar, did you? Don't expect any substantial media/info before release--if you want to buy this game you're gonna have to go in blindly and hope you get a copy before the ebay scalpers nab 'em all, and then hope that it doesn't suck.

Not true. Watermelon is better than other groups putting out indie Sega games about keeping their games in print. As Black Falcon said, check out NG:DEV.TEAM. Or Super Fighter Team.

Well yeah. They're making physical cartridges, so they need enough orders to fill a production run before they make them.

Once again, for people like NG.Dev Team who are making CD-based Dreamcast games, there is NO excuse.

Mercutio

yeah, that's fair

wait, what now? don't say this

http://kotaku.com/the-ps4s-newest-jrpg-is-straight-outta-sega-genesis-wa-1642265817

I know, I know. Kotaku.

But:

The biggest issue involves lag. Trying to talk to an NPC or open a chest will often result in the game freezing for upwards of five seconds as a message loads, and as any RPG fan knows, that's a dealbreaker for these long, sprawling adventures.

For me, the stumbles didn't end there: During one early sequence in Pier Solar, as raindrops fell across the screen, dialogue boxes stuttered and chugged to the point where they were tough to read without getting motion sickness.

Fularu

Banned
Didn't krikzz block that?

There's a patched rom out there

Also this baby was waiting for me at home :

dHMAxS9.jpg

So prety. The box is flawless, the manual looks as if it has never been read and the cart is beautifull!

There's a patched rom out there

Also this baby was waiting for me at home :

So prety. The box is flawless, the manual looks as if it has never been read and the cart is beautifull!

Nice! I always wanted to try the softer JP version. I guess I could always fire up the M2 comp, lol.

Looks great! I have the same game coming in the mail right now, I hope it arrives that well. :D
I actually missed all of Treasure's output on the platform back in the day; time to make amends.

Treasure really was one of the big factors in what makes the Genesis special. So many of the games that tend to be talked about, looking back on the system, came from those dudes. I just wish they were still making new stuff and not just constantly re-releasing games.

Treasure really was one of the big factors in what makes the Genesis special. So many of the games that tend to be talked about, looking back on the system, came from those dudes. I just wish they were still making new stuff and not just constantly re-releasing games.

They do make new stuff. Only problem is it's all licensed anime shit.

Iuchi is working on a PS4 shooter with M2, so that's exciting.

lazygecko

Licensed games is how they've paid the bills to keep the company running and making the types of games they want to make.

They said they're working on a PC exclusive title after doing so well on Steam.

Licensed games is how they've paid the bills to keep the company running and making the types of games they want to make.

They said they're working on a PC exclusive title after doing so well on Steam.

What do you mean by "games they want to make"? The last time they made an original game was Stretch Panic in 2001. Everything since was a sequel, usually to IPs they don't own (Sin and Punishment, Gunstar Heroes), a remake, or a licensed tie-in. Old Treasure is long gone.

Thrilled they're exploring PC dev though!

XGoldenboyX

Here to share my collection, and with a Bonus.

A Modded Component RGB Sega Genesis Model 1 High Def Graphics ; )

There is not a spec of dust on any of these. Unfortunately I will have to sell it.

Enjoy!

sega_genesis_by_xgoldenboyx-d4rkpzc.jpg

hd_sega_genesis_by_xgoldenboyx-d82wp7v.jpg

sega_genesis_collection_by_xgoldenboyx-d82wp82.jpg

: )

stewy

I promise I won't gum up this thread too much, but I figure the folks in here would like to know: I'm currently running a raffle for my Extra Life campaign, and two of the prizes that can be won are a digital copy of Console Wars by Blake J. Harris, and a physical copy of the upcoming Sega Mega Drive/Genesis Collected Works by Read-Only Memory.

If you're interested, please head over to my Extra Life page for details! And thank you in advance if you do end up donating to this great cause!

alf717

There is not a spec of dust on any of these. Unfortunately I will have to sell it.

Enjoy!

sega_genesis_by_xgoldenboyx-d4rkpzc.jpg

Did you do the mod yourself? I heard of a component mod over at Sega-16 a while ago but no write ups on how to pull it off. Care to explain how you do it? Bonus point if you can provide pictures of the inner workings of that genesis model 1. =)

Enjoy!

That's an awesome collection man. That wolfchild for Sega CD has me hot and bothered, that thing has been a thorn in my side...

Fularu

Banned
CD player is "untested"...
What are the odds only the Genesis functionality is operational? That could explain the pricing.

I would say the odds are rather low. I've yet to encounter a functionning Genesis side and a non functionning sega CD side on Wondermega 2 units.

Also it could probably be cheaply fixed if it's a lens/motor issue.

I would say the odds are rather low. I've yet to encounter a functionning Genesis side and a non functionning sega CD side on Wondermega 2 units.

Also it could probably be cheaply fixed if it's a lens/motor issue.

I have seen it with an X'eye, but the CD side was very easily fixed (I don't recall what was wrong, just that it wasn't working and was fixed with a minimal amount of effort...this was almost 20 years ago).

Still suspicious, though.

dodgeme

I have seen it with an X'eye, but the CD side was very easily fixed (I don't recall what was wrong, just that it wasn't working and was fixed with a minimal amount of effort...this was almost 20 years ago).

Still suspicious, though.

He edited the listing I think as he now states that the CD side doesn't spin. I'm kind of tempted as I've had a lot of luck fixing busted consoles but it's still a lot to drop on a non-working console.

I had a dream last night where it turned out I had a very large video game collection - I mean, I do in real life, but this was much larger, really large. Things that came to mind was ownership of no less than six copies of Sonic 2 (guess I bought a lot of wholesale lots?), and two Power Rangers games with very similar box arts, but clearly depicting different Sentai shows. One of the games was even a Masaharu Iwata/Hitoshi Sakimoto joint, although I'm pretty sure the music in the dream was literally cribbed from an actual Iwata/Sakimoto joint (not sure which; maybe Captain America and the Avengers, maybe Gauntlet 4).

Then I woke up and remembered I only have two copies of Sonic 2 - one of which I left with the other Genesis at my parents' place, so I only really effectively have one (why would I even want more than one, anyway...?) - and that while I've played very little of any Power Rangers games, I'm pretty sure there weren't two games with the same name for the Genesis alone starring different Sentai casts. (I know there's a game based on the show and a game based on the movie, but beyond that...)

I have weirdly lucid dreams

Sometimes. Other times I wonder why I remember the dream about seeing a billboard ad for a new Star Trek TV show featuring the film cast... with the addition of Brent Spiner dressed up as a comically stoic clown.

Seriously, he was just staring forward on the billboard, completely emotionless, with a little party hat and clown nose on. Too hilariously out-of-place to be a regular in Star Trek.

Samuray

Guys, a friend of mine just received his copy of CRYING, the Japanese version of Bio-Hazard Battle, and the insert sadly looks atrocious. Would anyone be kind enough to scan his?
The ones we could find via Google are either too lo-res or tilted or have weird logos on them, or all at the same time.

Please help! :)

Gyrian

Guys, a friend of mine just received his copy of CRYING, the Japanese version of Bio-Hazard Battle, and the insert sadly looks atrocious. Would anyone be kind enough to scan his?
The ones we could find via Google are either too lo-res or tilted or have weird logos on them, or all at the same time.

Please help! :)

I might be able to help in a few days.
I have CRYING in my library, but I'm away from it for a bit. ;_;

Timu

To this day I still don't know how I managed to beat Streets of Rage 2 on Mania(co-op with my bro) when I played so sloppy due to not practicing it as much as the other difficulties. Hilariously enough my bro recorded it so we have the video forever.

This makes me want to do a better playthrough of it, lol.

Top Bottom