• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Genesis/MegaDrive Appreciation Thread: Alien Storm > Golden Axe

Is Truxton worth owning/playing for $60?
A local shop near me has a CIB copy. Looks like it's in great shape, but that seems like eBay pricing. It's a game I always kind of wanted, but never got around to buying.

Rubik8

A local shop near me has a CIB copy. Looks like it's in great shape, but that seems like eBay pricing. It's a game I always kind of wanted, but never got around to buying.

Truxton is awesome and definitely worth owning. Loose cart cost me $18. Don't know if 3x increase is typical for CIB, because I don't necessarily strive for complete Genesis games. But the game is great.

robot

Speaking of Golden Axe, any one know why GA3 didn't come out in North America?

No definitive answer but according to IGN (via Wikipedia):

"Legend has it that SEGA thought the quality of the product was so low, that it would be worthless or, worse, damaging to even publish the game in the States. And whether or not that's actually true, the quality assessment at its heart is on target – because Golden Axe III is certainly the worst of its franchise trilogy."

edit: Apparently it was available on the Sega Channel in the US, never knew that!

It's sort of an eBay price, but without the shipping costs.

If you "kind of want" it, that may be a bit much.

It's a very good shoot 'm up though. If you need some more convincing, Lord Karnage of CGR loves it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLUEH7M_xbc

"Legend has it that SEGA thought the quality of the product was so low, that it would be worthless or, worse, damaging to even publish the game in the States. And whether or not that's actually true, the quality assessment at its heart is on target – because Golden Axe III is certainly the worst of its franchise trilogy."

edit: Apparently it was available on the Sega Channel in the US, never knew that!

Ya know, Mega Man was kind of the same reason. They said that game had technical issues and that it was delayed "indefinetely". Ive always wondered how Sega went about getting the exclusives, and im starting to see a pattern

Thanks for the feedback on Truxton.
I think I'll save my $60 for now and hold out for cart-only copy. As much as I'd love to have all complete games, this is more or less my third Genesis collection, so I'm finding it a lot harder to justify the skyrocketing prices. :/

Cody_D165

Banned
So I went on a little game hunting trip with some friends last night and finally got my hands on a game I've been after for awhile.

XbpSlYZ.jpg
I fucking adore this game after playing it on the Sonic Collection for Gamecube as a kid. The box is in rough shape, but the store owner let it go for only $10, which is a pretty solid deal even for the cart alone. I'm happy with it for that price. I swapped the inner insert with another stronger one.

Also stocked up on some commons, which were all $2 each (for CIB games!) Arnold Palmer was 50 cents, lol. Picked it up so I could try that Fantasy Zone easter egg.
I'm nearing 100 boxed Genesis games.

Got a copy of Toejam and Earl that I'm sure the cover art is a print job and the manual had damage that was hidden in the listing picture. Oh well, better luck next time. At least the game works.

D.Lo

Got a copy of Toejam and Earl that I'm sure the cover art is a print job and the manual had damage that was hidden in the listing picture. Oh well, better luck next time. At least the game works.
It gives me the shits that I have buyers complain about the tiniest little thing that was clear from the photos so they can scam a discount, yet you have sellers out there pulling crap like this (I've had it too, actual fraudulent listings).

thomasos

Question for the panel: if you get a Sega CD (or Saturn) disc that's a little grimy, what's the safest way to clean it without risking damage?

It gives me the shits that I have buyers complain about the tiniest little thing that was clear from the photos so they can scam a discount, yet you have sellers out there pulling crap like this (I've had it too, actual fraudulent listings).

It's bad on both sides, dicks from every angle. Best thing you can do is be as thorough as possible no matter what you are doing. As a seller take clear pictures with as much description as possible, especially flaws, and as a buyer don't give the benefit of the doubt to any omission. I should have known better then to have bid on something where part of it was obscured. Learned my lesson on that many times before, but every so often I still go for it. Kinda funny opening something up thinking "okay time to check the exact spot that was covered by part of the box in the listing, and yup, that's where a bend is".

Sure it doesn't always work and you will get turbo dicks, but it is the best you can do.

Teknoman

heh...turbo dicks...

But yeah, it always surprises me when people flip out about something that was pretty clear in the picture, or when sellers deliberately try to take strategic pictures.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I've had buyers run their mouth off at me about discs not working in instances where I state--precisely and in boldface, with accompanying detailed photos--that the disc is (1) cracked, (2) not guaranteed to work, (3) not recommended for play, and (4) more or less just an extra and that the listing should really just be treated as a case + manual sale.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I've had buyers run their mouth off at me about discs not working in instances where I state--precisely and in boldface, with accompanying detailed photos--that the disc is (1) cracked, (2) not guaranteed to work, (3) not recommended for play, and (4) more or less just an extra and that the listing should really just be treated as a case + manual sale.

Why even bother including the disc, then?

Golden Axe III may not be quite as great as the first two, but it's still a really, really good beat 'em up, as good or better than most games in the genre. I know I'm a series fan, but I do like the third one too. :)

Also, "quality" may be one excuse, but the other reason I've heard is because Sega wanted some games to be Sega Channel-only, so Mega Man: The Wily Wars, Golden Axe III, Pulseman, Alien Soldier, and some others, got Sega Channel releases but not carts. They wanted reasons to encourage people to sign up.

Alien Storm has more variety in the first 2 missions than the entirety of Golden Axe. Better pacing and better enemy design, too.
More variety doesn't mean better gameplay, though, and Golden Axe has better gameplay. It also helps that I love fantasy stuff and its somewhat unique setting is pretty cool, too; the weird dinosaur- things you can ride on, the giant bird and turtle, etc. Cool stuff. Thematically Alien Storm interests me much, much less... and it doesn't make up for it with better gameplay, either.

IrishNinja

jesus christ well done d lo

...god, it prolly wasn't his call (hopefully) but it's a crime all the same

More variety doesn't mean better gameplay, though, and Golden Axe has better gameplay.

i3o3lumKV3aIk.gif

GA's deliberate slow pacing doesn't aid its repetition, and Alien Storm's variety (first person, running stages etc) break up the monotony, making for better overall gameplay. while we're talking empirical facts, GA 3 tossed said pacing to the wind to try to hang with better beat-em-ups like SOR/etc and lost its identity in the process, ending up just a mediocre-at-best chapter in the series which only shines when you put it next to something more disappointing like The Duel.

as i understand it, the series clearly peaked at Revenge of Death Adder, which i'd love to play one day. I'm a huge Rastan fan & can dig that setting, too...but Alien Storm is simply a better game!

Any thoughts on this controller?

Ordered a Mega Drive from ebay the other, finally rebuying my childhood memories (yeah it's a PAL model 1, but that's how I remember the slow games!) and this controller came bundled with it.

So, i'm gonna see if i missed any obivous ones, but i ask my wonderful group of experts: I'm doing a panel at a retro game convention about "Two-Faced Games", AKA games that had the same name, but were completed different games (Game Sack has done a couple episodes specific to this). I'm doing only SNES vs Genesis, and since i have just an hour, i wanna focus on ones that are drastic, not like Zombies Ate My Neighbors level of different. My list so far is:

Beavis and Butthead
Pirates of Dark Water
Shadowrun
Sparkster
Adventures of Batman And Robin
Batman Returns
Aladdin
TMNT Tournament Fighters
TMNT: Hyperstone/Turtles in Time (I know, but close enough)

Am i missing anything else?

Peltz

My recently acquired $10 copy of Comix Zone has a pin that is worn away. :-(

$10 down the drain. I never bought a completely unsalvageable cart before. It stings. I was wondering why it was so stubborn and wouldn't boot until I saw the right most pin on the backside of the cart.

I honestly have to wonder.. with all the retro collectors out there, would the companies actually do themselves a favor to re-release some of these consoles and games? It would seem the interest in these games is quite high, so.... Am I just crazy, or what?

I honestly have to wonder.. with all the retro collectors out there, would the companies actually do themselves a favor to re-release some of these consoles and games? It would seem the interest in these games is quite high, so.... Am I just crazy, or what?

I assume the cost of manufacturing might make it a worthless endeavor for most games. As big as retrogaming is, it's not like they're selling to as broad an audience as decades ago.

Those plug-&-play clone systems with built-in games are probably the closest you'll see to an officially licensed modern re-release.

KC-Slater

I assume the cost of manufacturing might make it a worthless endeavor for most games. As big as retrogaming is, it's not like they're selling to as broad an audience as decades ago.

Those plug-&-play clone systems with built-in games are probably the closest you'll see to an officially licensed modern re-release.

I think there could be a market for a publisher to reproduce a limited run of carts for some iconic games. A Criterion Collection of sorts, or something like they sell at Mondo. Sell them at a premium. No idea what the manufacturing costs would be like though. It's not exactly like reprinting vinyl...

Slermy

So, i'm gonna see if i missed any obivous ones, but i ask my wonderful group of experts: I'm doing a panel at a retro game convention about "Two-Faced Games", AKA games that had the same name, but were completed different games (Game Sack has done a couple episodes specific to this). I'm doing only SNES vs Genesis, and since i have just an hour, i wanna focus on ones that are drastic, not like Zombies Ate My Neighbors level of different. My list so far is:

Beavis and Butthead
Pirates of Dark Water
Shadowrun
Sparkster
Batman Returns
Aladdin
TMNT Tournament Fighters

Animaniacs?

KC-Slater

Beavis and Butthead
Pirates of Dark Water
Shadowrun
Sparkster
Batman Returns
Aladdin
TMNT Tournament Fighters

Spider-Man

I think there could be a market for a publisher to reproduce a limited run of carts for some iconic games. A Criterion Collection of sorts, or something like they sell at Mondo. Sell them at a premium. No idea what the manufacturing costs would be like though. It's not exactly like reprinting vinyl...

Criterion works because they're released on a universally accepted media format. Maybe a pub could do this with PC games, but old console carts would be a whole different endeavor.

Teknoman

Beavis and Butthead
Pirates of Dark Water
Shadowrun
Sparkster
Batman Returns
Aladdin
TMNT Tournament Fighters

Power Rangers: The Movie

Gunsmithx

Criterion works because they're released on a universally accepted media format. Maybe a pub could do this with PC games, but old console carts would be a whole different endeavor.

What about CD games though? Like saturn, sega cd, turbo cd etc... That's much easier then doing carts and there's several games you could do a low print run collectors edition for(Vic might be a good person to ask with the old working designs stuff) I"m guessing getting the license might be an issue.

Might be worth looking into at least

Peltz

It's hard enough for these companies to figure out the licensing complexities and to gauge the market for re-releases on Virtual Console, PSN, XBLA and Steam. Trying to do it on retro consoles in their original format sounds like a lost cause and too much red tape for it to be a financially viable endeavor. I'd love it, but they'd have to figure out how to undercut the second hand market while adhering to licensing expenses, marketing costs, and the increased overhead of manufacturing new carts for such a limited demographic, which is bound to far more expensive per cart than they were back in the day when there were big manufacturing deals to cover a far larger output.

How you'd find the sweet spot in all that to make it a non-risky venture is a tall order.

Peltz

A friendly reminder showing how awesome a genesis rgb via the framemeister looks:

What resolution do you have your Framemeister set to? Meister mode looks so weird to me at 720p and 1080p. But it looks more like your screenshots at 480p.

robot

What resolution do you have your Framemeister set to? Meister mode looks so weird to me at 720p and 1080p. But it looks more like your screenshots at 480p.

720p, normal mode w/ scalines set manually.

edit: i wouldn't recommend 1080p w scanlines since they become soooo thin.

Top Bottom