• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Genesis/MegaDrive Appreciation Thread: Alien Storm > Golden Axe

Timu

So, i'm gonna see if i missed any obivous ones, but i ask my wonderful group of experts: I'm doing a panel at a retro game convention about "Two-Faced Games", AKA games that had the same name, but were completed different games (Game Sack has done a couple episodes specific to this). I'm doing only SNES vs Genesis, and since i have just an hour, i wanna focus on ones that are drastic, not like Zombies Ate My Neighbors level of different. My list so far is:

Beavis and Butthead
Pirates of Dark Water
Shadowrun
Sparkster
Adventures of Batman And Robin
Batman Returns
Aladdin
TMNT Tournament Fighters
TMNT: Hyperstone/Turtles in Time (I know, but close enough)

Am i missing anything else?
Sunset Riders
The Terminator
Robocop vs The Terminator

Peltz

If you have the latest firmware, it's the C button on the remote iirc. Did you get an english overlay for your remote? Someone sells em on ebay - very useful.

Yes, I got the overlay.

Thanks for the tip. I'm still figuring out the mini.

KC-Slater

Criterion works because they're released on a universally accepted media format. Maybe a pub could do this with PC games, but old console carts would be a whole different endeavor.
I agree that the cost of manufacturing the carts would be more expensive than printing a disc. These forums reinforce that possessing the physical game is just as important as being able to play it. A lot of posters on the forum don't have as much time to play these games anymore, but the collectible-nature of the hobby allows for them to still have a connection to their pastime. There are lots of alternatives if you just want to play the game.

Saying it works because of the medium is overly simplify the issue. Keep in mind of the price-premium that the Criterion-issues sell for over a 'standard' edition of the same film. They work because they have laser-focused their target market, and recognize that these cinephiles are more than willing to pay a premium.

I don't know, but I would image that it would be less-expensive to secure the rights to an older Genesis-title for a limited re-issuing than it would be for a major motion picture. (However, it may be just as/more complicated.) That being said, Sega seems pretty loose with their IP these days, so I would presume that it would be feasible for a publisher to issue a limited, 'premium' re-release of some of their older titles, for instance.

Fularu

Banned
Look what was waiting for me today

q6QDeng.jpg

FnF4fbx.jpg
Game looks brand new.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Thanks guys, and keep them coming. The more, the better and more in-depth a panel i do (I will be recording it, so i'll be sure to post it as well).
Maybe a stretch, but "Tiny Toons: ACME All-Stars" vs "Tiny Toons: Wacky Sports Challenge" might count.

I only bring this up because ACME All-Stars is probably my favorite 16-bit sports game.

Maybe a stretch, but "Tiny Toons: ACME All-Stars" vs "Tiny Toons: Wacky Sports Challenge" might count.

I only bring this up because ACME All-Stars is probably my favorite 16-bit sports game.
Sure, there are some superficial similarities, but the two have very little in common, really. ACME All-Stars is a soccer and basketball game, while Wacky Sports Challenge is a sports minigame collection. Very different things. (Also, Wacky Sports Challenge is fantastic! It's a great 4-player multiplayer party game. The only blemish, really, are the somewhat weak race minigames, but otherwise it's quite good.)

GA's deliberate slow pacing doesn't aid its repetition, and Alien Storm's variety (first person, running stages etc) break up the monotony, making for better overall gameplay. while we're talking empirical facts, GA 3 tossed said pacing to the wind to try to hang with better beat-em-ups like SOR/etc and lost its identity in the process, ending up just a mediocre-at-best chapter in the series which only shines when you put it next to something more disappointing like The Duel.
Bah, Golden Axe 1 is my favorite Sega beat 'em up ever. I love it!

as i understand it, the series clearly peaked at Revenge of Death Adder, which i'd love to play one day. I'm a huge Rastan fan & can dig that setting, too...but Alien Storm is simply a better game!
Alien Storm's so bland, though! Any of the Golden Axe or Streets of Rage beat 'em ups are so much more interesting...

The box is in rough shape, but the store owner let it go for only $10, which is a pretty solid deal even for the cart alone. I'm happy with it for that price. I swapped the inner insert with another stronger one.

Holy shit, man. Nice find. I caved and bought a boxed copy for about 40 bucks a few weeks back.

BKK

Manufacturing costs for Mega Drive (and Famicom) carts are pretty low thanks to Chinese bootleggers. Also licensing should be covered by the original license as it would be released on the same format, the issue generally occurs when releasing on formats not covered by the original license. The limiting factor is that the market just isn't very big for new full priced titles (Chinese bootlegs cost just a few dollars). Still, the existence of Super Fighter Team and others show that there is at least a limited if not very big market.

pmj

I just picked up my first few Mega Drive games.

The first two Sonic games, Flashback, and Thunder Force 4. Nothing special, but you gotta start somewhere, right? I've never played TF4, or any other shmup really, but I guess the posting of that one piece of music in every thread about 16 bit era music worked on me.

D

Deleted member 74300

Unconfirmed Member
Playing Sonic Megamix on the Sega CD I just got for $20 made it so worth it. Now to get a copy of Sonic CD.

I got Flink for $25 complete today, very excited. That game has been an absolute pain to track down, and now i got it at an awesome price. Now i just hope its a decent game.

D

Deleted member 74300

Unconfirmed Member
$20 is a good price for a Sega CD

Most ebay ones I've seen for that price or higher have been for untested / nonworking ones and I didn't want to gamble. Amazon was also too scary to look for them http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009UYZ84/?tag=neogaf0e-20

When I saw it at the store I thought it was a joke at first. Either way it works and I now have the full combo of Gen/CD/32X at last. Though it figures I sold my Sega CD memory cart I accidentally got for free a few months ago.

pmj

What a bummer. Six new games and I think my Mega Drive is broken. It's been sitting in a box for close to two decades now, and I thought it worked when I put it away. The light doesn't come on and none of the games start. I do see a text for a few seconds saying something about being produced by or licensed by Sega, but that's it.

I could try to fix it, but instead I'm going to take it as a sign that I need to buy a High Definition model. And learn how to mod it without destroying it and burning down the house in the process.

I got Flink for $25 complete today, very excited. That game has been an absolute pain to track down, and now i got it at an awesome price. Now i just hope its a decent game.

And here I was thinking of paying more then that for just the case/manual if I could track down the game itself.

Fatnick

Any thoughts on this controller?

Ordered a Mega Drive from ebay the other, finally rebuying my childhood memories (yeah it's a PAL model 1, but that's how I remember the slow games!) and this controller came bundled with it.

I had one of those! Cheap and cheerful - I don't remember it lasting for long. I was a bit hard wearing on stuff though.

A friendly reminder showing how awesome a genesis rgb via the framemeister looks:

It looks amazing but the price, not so much. If it was at least $100 cheaper I would bite.

On a side note, I finished Lightening Force today using the 99 lives code. I used 1 continue and ended up using 192 lives to finish the game. Awesome game with great music. I envy people that can beat it without that code, I don't have the reflexes I used to. Just received The Adventures of Batman & Robin and it looks like I'm going to have a hell of a time finishing this as well. Graphics and music more than make up for it.

Gyrian

I just bought a brand new copy of Alex Kidd. Launch line-up complete, haha.
Not a particularly great game, but it blows my mind it could still be had brand new 26 years later.

Timu

It looks amazing but the price, not so much. If it was at least $100 cheaper I would bite.

On a side note, I finished Lightening Force today using the 99 lives code. I used 1 continue and ended up using 192 lives to finish the game. Awesome game with great music. I envy people that can beat it without that code, I don't have the reflexes I used to. Just received The Adventures of Batman & Robin and it looks like I'm going to have a hell of a time finishing this as well. Graphics and music more than make up for it.
Sounds like doing a no death run on this game would take years to do_O_o

I bet it would go down as which genre you prefer.

I like sci-fi more than fantasy so I'm #TeamAlienStorm

Still really need to play RoDA tho

lazygecko

Sounds like doing a no death run on this game would take years to do_O_o

I think the difficulty of the game is somewhat overstated. You get plenty of opportunities to restock your health throughout the levels. Whereas in Gunstar Heroes I always feel starved of health and I find it to be a much more difficult and punishing game overall (I think B&R was probably inspired a great deal by Gunstar Heroes. The melee mechanics feel very similar).

#TeamAlienStorm

#TeamRightSideOfHistory

#TeamIStillWannaPlayRODAoneDayTho

Well, if anything, I guess I'd be #TeamStreetsOfRage2, but if we're going strictly by Team Shinobi (sorry, #TeamShinobi) beat 'em ups, then I'm hella #TeamAlienStorm.

Did Golden Axe have cool ass aliens and robots? No.
Did Golden Axe have more than one type of level? No.
Did Golden Axe ever move at anything other than a snail's pace? No.

Now, I know what #TeamGoldenAxe is going to pull. "But Piston Hyundai, Alien Storm didn't have Gilius Thund-" WELL GUESS WHAT, Gilius Thunderhead was totally in Alien Storm. And he gives Alien Storm a 9! What more do I have to say?

Although, Revenge of Death Adder is pretty God damn cool.

#TeamAlienStormButRevengeOfDeathAdderIsCoolToo

EDIT: oh and alien storm is totally a cooler name than golden axe (both are dope tho)

Fularu

Banned
Well, if anything, I guess I'd be #TeamStreetsOfRage2, but if we're going strictly by Team Shinobi (sorry, #TeamShinobi) beat 'em ups, then I'm hella #TeamAlienStorm.

Did Golden Axe have cool ass aliens and robots? No.
Did Golden Axe have more than one type of level? No.
Did Golden Axe ever move at anything other than a snail's pace? No.

Now, I know what #TeamGoldenAxe is going to pull. "But Piston Hyundai, Alien Storm didn't have Gilius Thund-" WELL GUESS WHAT, Gilius Thunderhead was totally in Alien Storm. And he gives Alien Storm a 9! What more do I have to say?

Although, Revenge of Death Adder is pretty God damn cool.

#TeamAlienStormButRevengeOfDeathAdderIsCoolToo

EDIT: oh and alien storm is totally a cooler name than golden axe (both are dope tho)
You know what's great? Not having to decide because both are on the same cart when you fire your system up!

(Sega Megagames 6, I'm looking at you)

In a war between Golden Axe and Alien Storm, the correct decision will always be Streets of Rage 2.

I haven't played either of the games in contention. I just really like SoR2.

Fularu

Banned
was showing bishopcruz this one last week (can't believe i didn't catch the FF VI opening, haha), beat it a little while back with Mzo - pretty brief ending, but fun for $6, thanks again to this thread!

Grab Yang Warrior Family. The same seller you got the other game from accepted my 5$ offer.

It's even better!

Top Bottom