• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Genesis/MegaDrive Appreciation Thread: Alien Storm > Golden Axe

IrishNinja

haha nah, i knew what i was in for - it's a playable copy of MUSHA for $15, i'm okay with this. someone else here talked me into getting better quality repros of Mega Man: Wily Wars and Battle Mania 2 over here though. but yeah, it'll be in a case or on my game genie anyway so i don't mind too much.

was cleaning & loading up my last batch of carts, got stuck playing Valis 1 and Quackshot for like an hour...and damn, Super Fantasy Zone is so awesome but i can't believe i'm getting owned by the 1st pumpkin boss! i know i should bring weapons but i damn near beat the SMS one, just gotta learn the patterns...game's beautiful and sounds great, though.

Teknoman

I never had a Mega Drive myself but this thread makes me want to play a whole heap of games heh.

It also makes me want to do a Master System appreciation thread 'cause I spent my first 10 years alive playing games on it haha.

^this is as close as we have right now, though i agree Master System could use an OT (i'd be all over it too)

Would it be worth it just to get to snag a power base converter? I mean I want to have a Master System just because of how it looks...but i'm not sure if its a worthwhile system to own. Especially since i'd be going in fresh.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Would it be worth it just to get to snag a power base converter? I mean I want to have a Master System just because of how it looks...but i'm not sure if its a worthwhile system to own. Especially since i'd be going in fresh.

Unless you're into the FM Synth of the Japanese version, afaik, a power base converter is exactly like a Master System.

I'd go with that.

IrishNinja

yeah, again from my experience it's 100% faithful, with the only exceptions:

1) 3D glasses won't work from the card plug-in, but that assumes you have them & an SD TV they'd work on anyway
2) F-16 Fighting Falcon, a flight sim only memorable for me in that it didn't wanna work with said converter where everything else did

if there's more than that, i don't know about it. Master Systems do indeed look cool, but if you're looking to save $/space, i can't recommend the converter enough. your genesis controllers will work just fine too.

Noahd42

Banned
I went back to the game store in my area and grabbed the Revenge of Shinobi. It's pretty good. I can't tell if there is actually supposed to be a double jump in this game because I think I've only done it once on accident. Such a weird system.

I also got Truxton in the mail today. I got a complete copy of eBay for a reasonable price. I'm really enjoying that one. I think I might have a new genre to fall in love with.

But for serious gaming, I'm gonna try and finish Shining Force since that's the only one of the three I haven't put significant time into.

Teknoman

Ended up grabbing Outrun 2 on Xbox as well as finding Outrun coast to coast on PS2 for a dollar at a pawn shop. Kinda going off topic again, but did most xbox 1 games have a slightly washed out look? Maybe its because I have it connected via S-video (doubt it) but every other system connected looks just fine.

I've never really messed with the original Xbox or played original Xbox games on the system, so maybe its just a system quirk that takes getting used to? Outrun 2 hasnt arrived yet, but messing with Ninja Gaiden Black and Panzer Dragoon Orta, its like someone turned the contrast up.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Ended up grabbing Outrun 2 on Xbox as well as finding Outrun coast to coast on PS2 for a dollar at a pawn shop. Kinda going off topic again, but did most xbox 1 games have a slightly washed out look? Maybe its because I have it connected via S-video (doubt it) but every other system connected looks just fine.

I've never really messed with the original Xbox or played original Xbox games on the system, so maybe its just a system quirk that takes getting used to?

No actually... my Xbox looks great through component. Get a better cable or get another Xbox. Luckily they're cheap, if so.

OutRun 2006 in particular looks amazing on my 50" plasma. Great game too.

Teknoman

No actually... my Xbox looks great through component. Get a better cable or get another Xbox. Luckily they're cheap, if so.

OutRun 2006 in particular looks amazing on my 50" plasma. Great game too.

I'll try another system since I dont think its the cables. Same universal S-video cables I usually use with my SNES, and it looks perfect with them. Then again, I should probably be using component anyway.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I'll try another system since I dont think its the cables. Same universal S-video cables I usually use with my SNES, and it looks perfect with them. Then again, I should probably be using component anyway.

You definitely should use component. It's the only way to get 480p progressive scan. And just in general, the Xbox has some of the best picture output of the old generation. Even if you have a CRT setup, it belongs on HDTV, IMO.

A handful of games run at 720p, too.

Oh and keep in mind if you like Sega!
Many of the later Xboxes couldn't output early Sega titles in 480p. If you want to play Panzer Dragoon Orta, Jet Set Radio Future; Gunvalkyrie in 480p: You might want an earlier Xbox, especially if you are in North America.

Check the bottom for the date. Made before 2003 if you can.

Many of the later Xboxes couldn't output early Sega titles in 480p. If you want to play Panzer Dragoon Orta, Jet Set Radio Future; Gunvalkyrie in 480p: You might want an earlier Xbox, especially if you are in North America.

Ridiculous that there was never a fix for that.

Oh man, this Musha trading figure is awesome.

6972747234_742f289828_b.jpg

The company released a few sets of small figures based on a number of shooting games around 5 years ago. I only got the R90 Ragnarok from R-Type III, but none of the others, and I regret it!

IrishNinja

was that the same line i got my Opa-Opa & 16 ton weight from? it looks larger, but i know they had a MUSHA (it was more gashapon though)

The one game I almost never hear mentioned is Fire Shark.

Back in the day I picked it up because it was $25 at my local shop when everything else was $50, but it was one of my most played games over the life of the Genesis.

The one game I almost never hear mentioned is Fire Shark.

Back in the day I picked it up because it was $25 at my local shop when everything else was $50, but it was one of my most played games over the life of the Genesis.

Fire Shark has hilariously awesome weapon powerups. That fire weapon at full strength is so insane.

IrishNinja

nice - i never find the old Sega gashapon i really want (Hang-On, Space Harrier) but there's one of the females sets that brings Tyris Flare (Golden Axe) and i think Nei from Phantasy Star, few other Fighting Vipers & such. i really wish i could find more classic Sega stuff like that for my shelf. R-Type & MUSHA would fit well though!

huh...never saw Fire Shark before, kind've a 1943 for genesis?

Dave Long

Banned
My Rolling Thunder 2 mint with the tab still attached arrived yesterday. Sooooo good. Next on my list is Shadow Dancer. So many people complained about that game, but I recently played the version I own on Steam (finally after years of being told not to bother) and LOVE IT!

It really is a true sequel to the arcade game, which I also loved. So now I need it on Genesis. :)

My Rolling Thunder 2 mint with the tab still attached arrived yesterday. Sooooo good. Next on my list is Shadow Dancer. So many people complained about that game, but I recently played the version I own on Steam (finally after years of being told not to bother) and LOVE IT!

It really is a true sequel to the arcade game, which I also loved. So now I need it on Genesis. :)

I really enjoy Shadow Dancer too. Be sure to check out arcade Shadow Dancer as well. It's actually much different, similar to the case with E-SWAT and its Genesis version.

IrishNinja

damn, never did get to play arcade Shadow Dancer, ESWAT or Moonwalker...i should mess more with MAME

props! Rolling Thunder 2 is still top 10 for me, so great to just pick up & play, especially with a friend.
and never you mind people down on Shadow Dancer, it's a fantastic sequel to the classic arcade/SMS Shinobi, but with an awesome dog!

Tain

It's so bad. I had no idea. I thought everyone was just complaining but it's totally justified.

It's not inconsistent or anything, it just has a fairly tight timing window.

Unless you mean it's useless even when executed correctly, but that's very not true.

Unless you mean it's useless even when executed correctly, but that's very not true.

As as kid I always played with infinite shurikens so I could do the Shuriken Spread over and over. Needless to say, I got pretty good at the double jump.

Shion

Nonsense.

Shadow Dancer is a great game.

The one-hit death system was almost never a problem (the game isn't even that hard anyway).

Certain boss fights can get a little frustrating until you learn the patterns, but that's about it.

Teknoman

You definitely should use component. It's the only way to get 480p progressive scan. And just in general, the Xbox has some of the best picture output of the old generation. Even if you have a CRT setup, it belongs on HDTV, IMO.

A handful of games run at 720p, too.

Ridiculous that there was never a fix for that.

Hmm...this one is from 2004. Got it from a friend since its the only one i've seen that the disc tray opens no problem. Thanks for the heads up, hopefully one that i've just had in the closet will be pre 03.

And yeah, the only Xbox 1 games I own are majority Sega. Panzer, Jet Set, now Outrun, and of course Ninja Gaiden Black.

EDIT: Heh all of them are 2004 models. And I was just being blind last night, that overbrightness was apparently just a mist effect in the first area of Ninja Gaiden Black. Anyway enough Xbox derail for now.

Noahd42

Banned

I didn't say either of those things. It's bad because it takes some getting used to. I've got it figured out for the most part now. Once it clicks, it really does click.

I like this series, I'm gonna keep my eye out for the other two Shinobi games.

I can only speak for Shinobi III's, but it really isn't that intuitive. You not only have to hit the button at a specific time during a fairly narrow window, and it's invalidated if you hit the button earlier than that. The former is rare enough, but the latter isn't something I can think of many games doing with their respective double-jumps. This isn't to say it isn't workable (although it's certainly the major focus of my frustration with the game), it's just different from pretty much every other implementation, and not exactly in good ways.

I wouldn't mind checking out Revenge of the Shinobi, but I'd have to hunt down a cart with the Rambo enemies. I want my Batman boss :I

Dave Long

Banned
Pretty sure I just overpaid on a complete Shadow Dancer, but even at $26 incl. shipping, I think I'm going to get my money's worth. It looks to be in mint condition and that's how I like to buy my retro games whenever possible.

IrishNinja

^nah Dave, i settled for Shadow Dancer with just the box (as i often do) but idve prolly bit at CIB at that price, you done alright

Thank you, now I'll just want to play truxton (or Truxton 2, for that matter) all day.

:p

never even knew there was a 2! is there a thread where its cool to talk about MAME? cause my list of stuff is growing, i just read about the good Golden Axe one too, makin a list here

Teknoman

Looking at some of the Saturn and PS1 classics thread or even the high score stuff at Nintendo/Segaage, has me thinking we should do some high score challenge stuff here and there for the Genesis, especially since its got (at least what seems like) more Arcade style titles than SNES.

^nah Dave, i settled for Shadow Dancer with just the box (as i often do) but idve prolly bit at CIB at that price, you done alright

never even knew there was a 2! is there a thread where its cool to talk about MAME? cause my list of stuff is growing, i just read about the good Golden Axe one too, makin a list here

Well we COULD talk about the Marty port, but I don't know who owns it here <I sure as heck don't> Truxton 2 is bloody fantastic.

Noahd42

Banned
Pretty sure I just overpaid on a complete Shadow Dancer, but even at $26 incl. shipping, I think I'm going to get my money's worth. It looks to be in mint condition and that's how I like to buy my retro games whenever possible.

I'm the same way. There is a copy on eBay that is cart only for 2 bucks + ten for shipping that is really tempting me right now but I've got enough games to play for now, so no eBay for me. If I can pick up either Shinobi game locally I will jump on that though.

IrishNinja

^man i will not be joining your SCART camp! ill just pay my debts, save up again & get a proper XRGB one day, heh

Well we COULD talk about the Marty port, but I don't know who owns it here <I sure as heck don't> Truxton 2 is bloody fantastic.

Marty port whatnow

Looking at some of the Saturn and PS1 classics thread or even the high score stuff at Nintendo/Segaage, has me thinking we should do some high score challenge stuff here and there for the Genesis, especially since its got (at least what seems like) more Arcade style titles than SNES.

totally agree with this, and yeah id be down! i wanna say i 1CC'd Strider in the day (with rapid fire) but no way could i pull that off now.

Well would you look at that...

Looks like it'll be a remake?

heh, right after i get the cart too...cool to see though!
hopefully Quackshot's next, i know it's not nearly as popular but i wanna say its better than even DuckTales.

ps how is Double Dragon port for Genesis? also: a PAL trouble shooter should work for me, right?

Krelian

heh, right after i get the cart too...cool to see though!
hopefully Quackshot's next, i know it's not nearly as popular but i wanna say its better than even DuckTales.
Yes please! I love Quackshot so much. It is definitely a top notch game but I'm not sure if it's better than DuckTales. It's probably longer though.

Oh for those on the SCART -> Component converter fence:

*Made from a Game Sack video.
One thing I take from this comparison is that the water looks best with blurry picture quality. It was probably meant to be played with RF/composite.

Top Bottom