• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Genesis/MegaDrive Appreciation Thread: Alien Storm > Golden Axe

Okay, as far as I can tell, here are the JP exclusive MD shmups. I have not included unlicensed games and I have not included "fly into the screen" shmups (like Space Harrier). Xenon 2 looks like hot garbage!

Trouble Shooter Vintage
Eliminate Down
Slap Fight MD
Heavy Unit
Darwin 4081
Curse
Gleylancer
Twin Hawk
Zero Wing
Fire Mustang
Undeadline
Xenon 2
Divine Sealing
Verytex
Bio-Ship Paladin
Dangerous Seed
XDR
I'm pretty sure Zero Wing got a EU release, didn't it?

Never played the Sega CD version, was talking about on the Genesis.

IIRC the Genesis version wasn't even translated at all when it got released in Japan. It was just full English script with no changes. On the other hand, the Mega CD version was Japanese-only. Weird.

Izick

IIRC the Genesis version wasn't even translated at all when it got released in Japan. It was just full English script with no changes. On the other hand, the Mega CD version was Japanese-only. Weird.

That is weird. I wonder if there was some licensing issues perhaps? Not sure what they could be though.

Mendoza

I've had a lot of luck lately with collecting interesting/rare titles for Genesis this last month. My local used media store has been getting crazy games in stock. When it rains, it pours, I guess.

Games I picked up during multiple visits in Mid-March to now, all CIB:

Vectorman 2 - $5
Comix Zone - $5
Mickey Mania - $5
Ranger X - $8
Trouble Shooter - $8
Earth Defense(Unlicensed) - $5
Atomic Robo-Kid - $8
Air Buster - $10
Valis 3 - $13

Most of these I've never played, but are totally rad games. It's a shame I missed out on these. The Genesis library is full of such wonderful oddities.

canocha

Don't worry about the hint book. Mine is missing it too, in fact trying to find a copy with one is a huge pain in the rear. Even when they go on sale separately the price they command is ridiculous.

I found a digital version online. I will try to print it at my job... (just have to make sure i don't get caught doing it! xD

Dave Long

Banned
Don't worry about the hint book. Mine is missing it too, in fact trying to find a copy with one is a huge pain in the rear. Even when they go on sale separately the price they command is ridiculous.

Wait... what? I have the hint book.

Hmmm... just looked on eBay. Hint book is like $20 in sold listings. That's not "ridiculous". :)

Krelian

I didn't realize the hint book was that rare. It's been a while since I bought my copy but I guess I was lucky the book was included. I didn't even know the game had one back then.

EDIT: So not that rare/expensive then after all :)

Btw, it sucks that eBay doesn't roll out the sold listings feature on their international sites.

IrishNinja

Genesis or Sega CD?

oh man i didn't even know there was a Sega-CD version, thanks for linking CJ's translation effort. for years i totally got this mixed up with Rise of the Dragon somehow.

I've had a lot of luck lately with collecting interesting/rare titles for Genesis this last month. My local used media store has been getting crazy games in stock. When it rains, it pours, I guess.

Games I picked up during multiple visits in Mid-March to now, all CIB:

Vectorman 2 - $5
Comix Zone - $5
Mickey Mania - $5
Ranger X - $8
Trouble Shooter - $8
Earth Defense(Unlicensed) - $5
Atomic Robo-Kid - $8
Air Buster - $10
Valis 3 - $13

Most of these I've never played, but are totally rad games. It's a shame I missed out on these. The Genesis library is full of such wonderful oddities.

damn man, you done good! idve jumped all over those, god knows i just paid like $20 on ebay to import Trouble Shooter, definitely paid more for a few of the others. it's a fine list, but i havent played Atomic Robo Kid in years (does it hold up?) and never got to try Ranger X or Air Buster.

Mendoza

damn man, you done good! idve jumped all over those, god knows i just paid like $20 on ebay to import Trouble Shooter, definitely paid more for a few of the others. it's a fine list, but i havent played Atomic Robo Kid in years (does it hold up?) and never got to try Ranger X or Air Buster.

Atomic Robo kid is pretty janky. I guess you can't expect much, as I'm pretty sure it's a port from the PC-Engine. Ranger X on the other hand is awesome. Look up videos of it on youtube; the sprite work is amazing, and is a pretty varied in its mechanics.

Air Buster is nothing special, but it has 2 player co-op which is always great.

Foxix Von

Wait... what? I have the hint book.

Hmmm... just looked on eBay. Hint book is like $20 in sold listings. That's not "ridiculous". :)

Well shit now I feel like an idiot. Hahaha I remember trying to find one several months ago and I swear I saw the thing go up to like 40+ bucks just because it was pretty much the only one on ebay. Well that's good news :D thanks for the heads up.

I guess I just had very, very bad timing in my last hunt for it.

EDIT: Where exactly are you finding this thing? I still can't find it hahah.

Lettuce

My new XRGB Mini is loving some MegaDrive Alien 3 atm!!!.....looks sooo good would have thought it never possible on an LCD

ACESmkII

Hmmm.... I think I just might have to pull the trigger on Panorama Cotton and Battle Mania 2. I never got a chance to play them.

Also the wait for my XRGB mini is killing me :<

IrishNinja

cool, gonna look up Ranger X tonight..i know ive seen that one for a song, too

My new XRGB Mini is loving some MegaDrive Alien 3 atm!!!.....looks sooo good would have thought it never possible on an LCD

Hmmm.... I think I just might have to pull the trigger on Panorama Cotton and Battle Mania 2. I never got a chance to play them.

Also the wait for my XRGB mini is killing me :<

so jelly of both of youse
Battle Mania 2 is on its way here, gonna have to check out Cotton as well (not like i need more shmups at the moment, but still)

ps man the other retro threads got sweet banners, can anyone put together a nice one from here? all i'm good at is jacking stuff from Sega-16, haha

Teknoman

j9kQc9Gw2KPKZ.jpg

Still feels plain or off to me. Small version, but man is it hard to find Genesis sprites online, or even cases/cartridges in a row. The Genesis gridline design would probably be a better fit.

Either way i'm going back to the drawing board, but someone a little more artistically talented should chime in :p

IrishNinja

i like it, man! maybe it'd look better/appropriate on a black background?

i'd love to see MJ on there in his pose, but Gunster Heroes guy is a fan favorite if you can toss him in. I'll rework the OP when it's done, your NES one is much cleaner/informative, heh

Teknoman

i like it, man! maybe it'd look better/appropriate on a black background?

i'd love to see MJ on there in his pose, but Gunster Heroes guy is a fan favorite if you can toss him in. I'll rework the OP when it's done, your NES one is much cleaner/informative, heh

lol I was searching high and low for some decent Gunstar Red or Blue sprites. I found that Baron guy though. No one seemed to have high quality Golden Axe or Streets of Rage stuff . Black background probably would be better. Wish I had some photoshop skills so I could just make a black grid background stretching into the distance for max mega power.

In all seriousness, an MJ end dance pose would be great.

EDIT: I think every thread needs recommendations since it gives people a good place to start if they've never owned the system, even better if they are recommendations outside the normal. Unique experiences and all that.

Teknoman

I think a black background with the grid pattern would be awesome.

jBPSw89L3ZxXQ.jpg

Yup, need to get someone in here with some non-ms paint skills or at least a steady hand lol. I wanted to find a way to get the turrican guy in there, but after awhile it'll be too cluttered. Grid pattern is a must though.

LostAnkh

Ah man, I feel the same way OP. I was the ONLY kid in the block to have a Genesis, everyone else had SNES and never tried the Genesis.

I remember getting the Model 1 one day after school, my dad had it hooked up to our box tv and give it a try. The games I got with it were:
-X-Men
-Sonic the Hedgehog 2

Later games were:
-Mortal Kombat 3
-Splatterhouse 3 (It scared me as a kid!)
-Pit Fighter
-Aladdin (SO HARD)
-Fatal Fury
-VR Troopers
-TMNT Hyperstone Heist
-Mighty Morphin Power Rangers the Movie

Years later after my Genesis broke, I was able to revisit retro gaming, and got a Model 2 Sega from one of my mom's friends. I got quite the haul from her:

-Samurai Showdown
-General Chaos (SO Underrated)
-NBA Jam (finally owned it...)
-X-Men 2
-Art of Fighting
-Super Street Fighter 2
-Captain America and the Avengers (?)
-And a whole lot more that I can't think of.

I enjoyed a lot of Genesis Classics on a PC collection that they sold around 2004, so I got to play games like Shining Force and Phantasy Star 2 for the first time.

I absolutely love the Genesis, and I'm glad that rediscovering it and trying out the games that I didn't know about back then.

http://i.minus.com/j9kQc9Gw2KPKZ.jpg

Still feels plain or off to me. Small version, but man is it hard to find Genesis sprites online, or even cases/cartridges in a row. The Genesis gridline design would probably be a better fit.

Either way i'm going back to the drawing board, but someone a little more artistically talented should chime in :p

I'll try and submit my draft by the end of the week. Swamped at work. I'm not an artist though.

Should the Japanese and European Mega Drive logo be on the banner as well?

IrishNinja

yeah, i like how it's shaping up...and absolutely, feel free to toss the other system logos up there too!

besides my personal MJ vote & Gunstar Heroes, any other essentials you guys can think of? i don't wanna crowd it too much, and Tekno clearly got most of the greats in there.

also: oh man i got an amazing deal going on craigslist right now, im heading out in a few hours when i get off of work, god i hope it pans out...ill post back on it soon!

Altered Beast
Castle of Illusion Mickey Mouse
Flickey
Toejam and Earl
Cool Spot
Streets of Rage

Not all of them of course, but that should give a good palette of characters to work with.

IrishNinja

man i never understand the love for Flicky...maybe cause i didn't play the coin-op in the day, or the genesis game till way late (first time i really spent with it was Sonic's Ultimate Collection), but it never struck me as exceptional. Bonanza Bros, now there's a game!

I'd totally vote for TJ&E or Axel from SOR, though! just my 2 cents.

jBPSw89L3ZxXQ.jpg

Yup, need to get someone in here with some non-ms paint skills or at least a steady hand lol. I wanted to find a way to get the turrican guy in there, but after awhile it'll be too cluttered. Grid pattern is a must though.

I can mess with it. I work in Photoshop eight hours a day, but I don't have a ton of time. However, I love this thread and want to contribute.

Here's what I have so far, I'll try to get further as soon as I can.

genesis_header_zps1754e5a2.jpg

Krelian

I can mess with it. I work in Photoshop eight hours a day, but I don't have a ton of time. However, I love this thread and want to contribute.

Here's what I have so far, I'll try to get further as soon as I can.

genesis_header_zps1754e5a2.jpg
This looks great. I actually wanted to try my luck too, so here's my attempt. I like yours a lot better though :D Mine is unfinished anyway, wanted to ask what to put in the free space.

mega_drive_bannerk6usz.jpg

EDIT: Just an idea: maybe we can combine our ideas somehow so that yours has all three Genesis/Mega Drive logos like mine?

This looks great. I actually wanted to try my luck too, so here's my attempt. I like yours a lot better though :D Mine is unfinished anyway, wanted to ask what to put in the free space.

mega_drive_bannerk6usz.jpg

EDIT: Just an idea: maybe we can combine our ideas somehow so that yours has all three Genesis/Mega Drive logos like mine?

I like the idea, it's worth a shot. Just a quick stab at it, trying to make all the different logos work together, but it's getting busy. I'll try to revisit at some point today or tomorrow - people are starting to come into the office now ;)

Still don't like the background, just haven't come up with anything else yet.

genesis_header2_zpsbdc90133.jpg

IrishNinja

what's not to like about that background? everyone knows what they're seeing with that one, it's great! im down with the 3-logo one if ya'll are. meanwhile...

2Yp6CIs.jpg

$60. sometimes, Craigslist really comes through! but you gotta go get shit early in morning traffic before everyone else~

gonna go test it before getting to bed, if that model 1 works i'll be happy as a clam

IrishNinja

right?! i just traded my Sonic CD to a fellow gaffer for Thunder Force III, so this really works out! he took good care of his stuff, some dirt aside. most of it has manuals, Sonic 1 (not the "not for resale" version, haven't seen that in a bit) even brings the classic Genesis poster.

oh my balls the Sega-CD works this is so awesome
it makes a buzzing sound when it first starts up/goes to read the disc, but not past the BIOS screen...i wanna say i remember that? maybe it wasn't as pronounced...no damage to the disc, and everything works fine.

i forget, do i need a boiler plate/metal piece between a model 1 genny & model 1 sega-CD? my model 2 CD has one, i don't see one here for this setup though.

also: it's stupid, but TMSS warning aside, the only thing about my s-vid modded genesis that bugs me is the lack of "HIGH DEFINITION GRAPHICS" across the ring, and this system has it. i kinda wanna just swap the top shell, but then i'd have to make the holes for said mod...wish i could just transfer that ring part, heh

Nice pickup Irish. I have a couple SCD games but no system to play them on sadly :( Scoring one locally is awesome!

The HDG Genesis would be a perfect excuse to upgrade to RGB!

IrishNinja

Thanks 16!

awww maannn....i got no more plugs here for a powered adapter, and id just wanna get one for my SNES too, and then Saturn, etc...BocoDragon has me really thinking i should just hold off & save up for an XRGB!

woodypop

2Yp6CIs.jpg

$60. sometimes, Craigslist really comes through! but you gotta go get shit early in morning traffic before everyone else~

gonna go test it before getting to bed, if that model 1 works i'll be happy as a clam
What an awesome pick-up! Two 6-button sticks, a model 1 CD unit, a Hi-Def Genesis, plus games--great deal!

(Now, about that sofa. . . ) ;)

what's not to like about that background? everyone knows what they're seeing with that one, it's great! im down with the 3-logo one if ya'll are.

Liking the combo logo banner. Im gonna have to get Strider while I still can for cheap.

I'm fine to go as is, then. If I have a brainstorm or something I'll let you guys know. I love the design of the original Genesis boxes, I like some uniformity in my game packaging.

canocha

what's not to like about that background? everyone knows what they're seeing with that one, it's great! im down with the 3-logo one if ya'll are. meanwhile...

2Yp6CIs.jpg

Dammit i'm jelly!!

I wanted those 6 buttons arcade sticks... bough 2 with 3 buttons :|

Nice deal!

IrishNinja

mega - updating OP later today, man! its gonna look so nice.

woody - haha that's the seller's sofa, honest!

canocha - i kinda favor the slightly heavier 3 button arcade stick, mostly because i used it more than any other controller. it's good for the vast majority of games, too!

oh yeah, before i get too used to this thing, had to ask again:

i forget, do i need a boiler plate/metal piece between a model 1 genny & model 1 sega-CD? my model 2 CD has one, i don't see one here for this setup though.

IrishNinja

OP updated! much love to megashock for the banner (i gotta give you credit for it there too!), i shortened some of my rant, updated my list of lesser-known classics & added links, hopefully it's a bit more streamlined but it's not as slick as tekno's NES one yet.

if there's anything in particular you think is missing lemme know!

sibarraz

Banned
man i never understand the love for Flicky...maybe cause i didn't play the coin-op in the day, or the genesis game till way late (first time i really spent with it was Sonic's Ultimate Collection), but it never struck me as exceptional. Bonanza Bros, now there's a game!

I'd totally vote for TJ&E or Axel from SOR, though! just my 2 cents.

It's a fun little game, it doesn't had anything ground breaking, but is still a challenge to beat plus the hi score factor that someone mentioned it

As an arcade lover, I had fun with it, is simple, yet addictive

mr stroke

whats the consensus on this?

t5tRcOZ.jpg

$50 on Amazon, are these knock offs worth it or better off searching Craigslist/ebay for a used system?

Top Bottom