• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SEGA reports profit for the Quarter, GAF forced to admit SEGA superiority

Corto

Champagne all around! I had this bottle saved in the fridge just for this! Congratulations SEGA!:D :D :D

nascia-o-champagne.jpg

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
obonicus said:
I think that to properly bait Segata you'd have to say something about the Sega of the Saturn days being dead etc. etc.
Hell I'll even go as far as the Dreamcast. When Sega stopped making hardware, that's the moment they literally went down the drain, and I don't see how anyone without a vested interest could think otherwise.

Great for SEGA! I'm very happy to hear this, as they have been one of my favorite publishers of the past couple of years. Here's to more great games from SEGA!

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
You realize that gaming division wasn't the one that greenlighted the quarter, right?

《Pachislot and Pachinko Machines》
In the pachinko machine business, the Group recorded sales of “Dejihane CR SOUTEN-NO-KEN” under the Sammy brand and “CR Cinderella Boy 2” under the Taiyo Elec brand, resulting in the sale of a total of 49 thousand units, a decrease from the same period year ago. In the meantime, the Group remained committed as same as the previous fiscal year, to the reduction of procurement costs for parts and materials, especially those related to liquid crystal display.
In the pachislot machine business, a title with an innovative gameplay “Pachislot SOUTEN-NO-KEN” was launched under the Sammy brand, which registered sales of 71 thousand units thanks to a warm market response. Meanwhile, “Pachislot Shin Onimusha” launched in the previous fiscal year under the RODEO brand maintained strong sales in the year under review. As a result, overall pachislot machine sales amounted to 109 thousand units,
far exceeding the results of the same period in the previous fiscal year, despite the fact that the launch of some titles was postponed to the second quarter and later. Meanwhile thanks to an initiative to promote reuse of components, especially those related to liquid crystal display, there was an improvement in profit margins as well.
As a result, net sales in this segment were ¥49,039 million (an increase of 148.2% for the same period in the previous fiscal year) and operating income was ¥15,133 million (compared with an operating loss of ¥1,037 million for the same period in the previous fiscal year).

《Amusement Machine Sales》
In the amusement machine sales business, “HATSUNE MIKU Project DIVA Arcade” started to be sold under a revenue share model (ALL.Net P-ras) for the purpose of improving investment efficiency of the operators of amusement centers and securing long-term stable earnings for the Group, while operation of “BORDER BREAK” launched in the previous fiscal year remained solid. At the same time, sales of CVT KIT of the popular series “SANGOKUSHI WAR 3 WAR BEGINS” became robust.
As a result, net sales in this segment were ¥10,442 million (an increase of 24.0% for the same period in the previous fiscal year) and operating income was ¥1,399 million (compared with an operating loss of ¥1,077 million for the same period in the previous fiscal year).

《Amusement Center Operations》
In the amusement center operations business, sales at existing SEGA amusement centers in Japan were weakened by sluggish personal consumption, at 97.2% of the level during the same period in the previous fiscal year. In the first quarter, the Group closed 6 amusement centers and opened 1 new amusement center in the domestic market. Consequently, the Group operated a total of 255 amusement centers at the end of the period.
As a result, net sales in this segment were ¥11,104 million (a decrease of 21.5% for the same period in the previous fiscal year) and operating income was ¥177 million (compared with an operating loss of ¥125 million for the same period in the previous fiscal year).

《Consumer Business》
In the consumer business, the Group recorded sales of home video game software such as “IRON MAN 2” and “Alpha Protocol”, this year’s major titles for the U.S. and European markets. While domestic sales were mostly firm, in the overseas markets, sales of new titles remained slow as affected by the adverse market condition. As a result, the Group sold 1,680 thousand video game copies in the U.S., 1,330 thousand copies in Europe and 270 thousand copies in Japan and other regions, for a total of 3,290 thousand copies.
In the toy sales division, domestic sales of main products as well as sales of “BAKUGAN” at both domestic and overseas market remained solid. The mobile phone and PC content business also remained solid, thanks primarily to downloadable games for PCs. In the animated films business, distribution revenue remained favorable thanks to the sound box office sales of the 14th theater film “Detective Conan” while overseas royalty revenue from “BAKUGAN” stayed robust.
As a result, net sales in this segment were ¥20,859 million (an increase of 15.4% for the same period in the previous fiscal year), and an operating loss was ¥636 million (compared with an operating loss of ¥4,500 million for the same period in the previous fiscal year).

androvsky

Chris1964 said:
You realize that gaming division wasn't the one that greenlighted the quarter, right?

I think someone tried to tell him earlier in the thread. I figured I'd let it go, Segata Sanshiro probably deserves one happy day; he did take that rocket for them after all. Don't want him thinking it was for nothing. :)

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
They've been on a total roll this year: Bayonetta, Infinite Space, Yakuza 3, Alpha Protocol and of course Resonance of Fate... so this is totally deserved.

Still totally surreal to see SEGA and profit in the same sentence.

Suzuki Yu

Chris1964 said:

you do know that SEGA's consumer teams made a profit of 72 million dollar last year ? even with their bad kick-off with 52 million dollar loss in first quarter they've managed to bring some profit by the end of the year ..
in this year everything seems improving including the consumer division with 7 million dollar loss compared to the 52 million dollar loss last year .

also you specified the consumer division as the gaming division in the company? but the arcade machine division is also related to the gaming business ...

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Suzuki Yu said:
you do know that SEGA's consumer teams made a profit of 72 million dollar last year ? even with their bad kick-off with 52 million dollar loss in first quarter they've managed to bring some profit by the end of the year ..
in this year everything seems improving including the consumer division with 7 million dollar loss compared to the 52 million dollar loss last year .

also you specified the consumer division as the gaming division in the company? but the arcade machine division is also related to the gaming business ...
You are playing with words. The consumer division (if you want) had a loss and Pachislot and Pachinko Machines were again (like previous quarter) responsible for the profits.

Socreges

Banned
Chris1964 said:
I think they do realize. Seems like most people are jokingly celebrating.

Sega has been a travesty for several years now. But while they can no longer deliver quality video games, apparently they found a way to make money!

Wow such jealousy. Aside from being unable to admit to the obvious now we got liars out there spreading garbage about Sega not making good games anymore.

Last I checked they weren't doing 69s with Namco cause they ran out of ideas for new fighting games.

Suzuki Yu

Chris1964 said:
You are playing with words. The consumer division (if you want) had a loss and Pachislot and Pachinko Machines were again (like previous quarter) responsible for the profits + SEGA's Arcade division

fixed :)

and in previous quarter ( which was the 4th quarter of their 2010 financial year )all the areas were profitable except for Amusement Facilities

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Suzuki Yu said:
That's the point I tried to make with my first post:

《Pachislot and Pachinko Machines》
operating income was ¥15,133 million.

《Amusement Machine Sales》
operating income was ¥1,399 million

《Amusement Center Operations》
operating income was ¥177 million

《Consumer Business》
operating loss was ¥636 million

Pachislot and Pachinko Machines were the force this quarter.

DeVeAn

AstroLad said:
Why would GAF be "forced" to admit anything? First off, GAF is a private members-only forum and can say whatever the fuck it wants. Second off, Sega still blows and the fact that they finally made a profit doesn't change that even one iota. Just look at GameRankings. Just because Justin Biever sells a lot of records doesn't mean shit. Thread backfire total.
SEGA IS THE BESTESTEST!!! lol.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Segata Sanshiro said:
GAF forced to admit SEGA superiority

Maybe in a few years if they keep having some decent games.

>>Pachinko<<

Surely you mean Pinball machines (since if I remember right: Segata said they [Capcom/Nintendo/Sega] were in the business).

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
the time for a Chu Chu Rocket 2010 Extreme reboot is now Sega.

animlboogy said:
I thought Alpha Protocol bombed in their eyes?

Was it all Iron Man 2?

700,000 units worldwide on PC, PS3, X360 isnt really all that good I think, and I think someone mentioned that those were shipped.

Iron Man 2 I think had 1.3mln is it...but it was slow sales. They probably had a lot of money just brought in from their older titles.

I dont know why they keep with these marvel movie games, they can only be so profitable

GDGF

Soothsayer
Congrats SEGA.

Keep it up. The challenge will always be there, but you've proven, at least for today, that now there are no limits.

SaintR

Chris1964 said:
That's the point I tried to make with my first post:

&#12298;Pachislot and Pachinko Machines&#12299;
operating income was ¥15,133 million.

&#12298;Amusement Machine Sales&#12299;
operating income was ¥1,399 million

&#12298;Amusement Center Operations&#12299;
operating income was ¥177 million

&#12298;Consumer Business&#12299;
operating loss was ¥636 million

Pachislot and Pachinko Machines were the force this quarter.
Boo this man...I don't need your filthy numbers...just admit Segata is superior to you like most of us have and you will live a longer more fruitful life

[Nintex]

Party like its 1990-1991 I guess? Well, they certainly deserved it for picking up Mikami's and Kamiya's games. Where is your Capgod now!

I never understood why Nintendo never expanded beyond their current narrow focus. Maybe they really should make pachinko machines and rake in some of that local dough without worrying about exchange rates.

Or they could just go ahead and make that fucking theme park already. I'd go there annually.

Top Bottom