• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn copy protection cracked after 22 years

This is a pretty awesome development. I've got like 2 or 3 backup Saturns because of the fear of the drive dieing.

I hope this becomes commercially available, I would jump on one right away.

Wereroku

Nice all the reverse engineering he did has been shared with the emulation folks as well. So cycle perfect saturn emulation could actually come pretty soon. Apparently it's unlike any other system that emulators have tried to work with before.

Edit: I like how the commercial release was delayed so he could finish his PHD because of course this guy has a PHD. If this was his hobby work I wonder what his Doctoral project was.

What about fan translations and undubs for JRPGS/Adventure games.

Would this make importing easier? Or would the games still be region locked if we loaded them via the USB thing? I can't view the video right now, so what does the device look like? Is it just a card you slide into the expansion port that has a usb port on it? You load games from HDD? Do you still need a mod chip? Also was there anything said about pricing?
VCD bus overrides boot routines and redirects code execution to a menu where you can load ISOs from a USB device. No modchip required. Plug and play solution.

colonyoo

Would this make importing easier? Or would the games still be region locked if we loaded them via the USB thing? I can't view the video right now, so what does the device look like? Is it just a card you slide into the expansion port that has a usb port on it? You load games from HDD? Do you still need a mod chip? Also was there anything said about pricing?
Importing is already fairly accessible and region locking wasn't mentioned in the video, but with how easy everything is to bypass with the tools we have now, I'd imagine it's a given. The biggest benefit to all of this is getting access to game backups without the need of a working CD drive or cartridge slot, since both are very commonly failure-prone.

And yeah, it's just a card that goes into the expansion slot and lets you run stuff from a connected USB device, no mod chip needed. Things are still pretty early, so pricing definitely wasn't mentioned.

Droog

I will definitely keep an eye on this as someone with a Saturn with a dying CD-ROM drive! That console gave me some of the best years of my life!

Onaco

image.php

Since you aren't understanding the joke, I agree.

That was pretty cool! I didn't know Saturn CD functionality had been a continuing problem, having heard about mod chips during the era. I'm glad he's been sharing his discoveries with the community, and acknowledging the work he built it off from.

My 8bit NES, Sega Genesis, GameBoy, GameGear, Nomad, N64 still work as great as when I got them.

My saturn? Disc drive is failing
Dreamcast? A couple of disc read fails the last time I used it
PS2? Laser died 4 years into owning the console.
360? RROD
PS3? YLOD

My interest in vintage gaming pretty much ends at N64, discs are just so fragile and disc drives worse... Still, I plugged in a PSone last year and played some games and it felt great... Ps2 might be alright if you can get a system going, but even if disc drives last, the online demands for patches, DLC, etc, completely cripple games after the PS2 era for essentially forever.

I'm intrigued by this Saturn crack though. Always wanted to play and collect Saturn games but stayed away because the hardware.

Anth0ny

Great news.

Now something similar needs to be released for the other disc based consoles. I want to load my entire PS2 library off an SD card.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
That video was really interesting hearing about how the copy protection works! I'm up for buying this whenever it's ready since my friends Panzer Dragoon Saga disks I used are rotting now and scared of the prospects of buying a rotting set of disks.

Foffy

Banned
Always a fan of system breaking for greater preservation.

I can't think of anything negative here. We're talking about a system that hasn't had commercial clout from the 1990's.

cireza

My 8bit NES, Sega Genesis, GameBoy, GameGear, Nomad, N64 still work as great as when I got them.

360? RROD
PS3? YLOD
Old cartridge consoles are pretty much indestructible.

Both my Saturn and Dreamcast still work perfectly well. I play them very often. Sega CD too.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
i have a feeling this will cost a couple of hundred bucks, like the PS1 and DC projects

Honestly it'd probably still be cheaper than a copy of Panzer Dragoon Saga which disks may or may not be suffering disk rot. (The copy my friend lent me were rotting on disk 2 and 3. >;)

Brhoom

Banned
Great news.

Now something similar needs to be released for the other disc based consoles. I want to load my entire PS2 library off an SD card.

You can load them through a usb, and there are sd to usd adapters so I think they would work as well.

Tain

Sounds nicer than Rhea due to using the rear expansion port, but doesn't Rhea have the same result?

Sorcerer

The nice thing about the Saturn from what I noticed is without any modification is that it looks great on an hdtv. I couldn't believe how good Nights Into Dreams looked just using s-video or even composite. Of course my monitor is not huge so that might play into it.
The N64 was a horrible mess on my hdtv.

yyr

I wonder if this might eventually lead to being able to run ST-V stuff on a stock Saturn.

360? RROD
PS3? YLOD

I guess cartridges were the right way to go after all ;)

Seriously though, that's the unfortunate thing about anything with moving parts. The lifespan is finite. Want your thing to last forever? Take out the moving parts.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
The nice thing about the Saturn from what I noticed is without any modification is that it looks great on an hdtv. I couldn't believe how good Nights Into Dreams looked just using s-video or even composite. Of course my monitor is not huge so that might play into it.
The N64 was a horrible mess on my hdtv.

The built in blur for N64 kills PQ for that you can use de-blur action replay codes to partially take off that but you'd also have to use the HDMI mod to get rid of it almost completely since it contains a deblur function that takes care of the hardware level blurring.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Pretty sure there are already translation hacks for Shining Force Part 1 (new translation compared to western release), 2, and 3.

There are. I've got a modded Saturn and have played them. This would be nice for future-proofing and drive failures in the future though.

Now I just need that Dreamcast SD card GDROM replacement

Also holy shit I just saw the price of my complete copy of SFIII...

_Ryo_

Great news.

You can run PS2 games off of SD card via freemcboot and a usb sd card reader. It will have very slow load times, slower than the the discs.

Alternatively you can install freemcboot and a network adapter and HDD, which you place inside the actual ps2. So there won't be any clutter at all. Your PS2 will just be a bit more heavy.

You can rip your discs to the IDE HDD and load them from there. Load times via this method are much faster. For example something that took 30secs to load via disc will probably take about 5sec from HDD. You can use an adapter to convert the IDE to SATA as well. This method also allows you to play modified games such as imports/undubs and fan translations.

Well it doesn't require ripping apart your Saturn and taking out the CD drive since it's just a card you slip into your expansion port. So that's a big benefit!

I can't speak for the Rhea, but the GDEmu is only a few screws and is more or less fool proof and it's fun to just open the lid and swap out sd cards as needed.

Joey Ravn

Banned
This is probably the final nail in the coffin for SEGA. Going third party in 3... 2... 1...

Also, that makeshift spinning display at the start of the video! So good.

Sorcerer

Sega Saturn: 22 Years
Sega Dreamcast: 22 seconds

One has to chuckle when the guy looks at the motherboard and he sees no less than 4 processors and says its way over engineered.

If the console had only come out earlier when 3D wasn't a thing and the focus was soley on 2D the system would have been a beast.

Anth0ny

You can load them through a usb, and there are sd to usd adapters so I think they would work as well.

You can run PS2 games off of SD card via freemcboot and a usb sd card reader. It will have very slow load times, slower than the the discs.

Alternatively you can install freemcboot and a network adapter and HDD, which you place inside the actual ps2. So there won't be any clutter at all. Your PS2 will just be a bit more heavy.

You can rip your discs to the IDE HDD and load them from there. Load times via this method are much faster. For example something that took 30secs to load via disc will probably take about 5sec from HDD. You can use an adapter to convert the IDE to SATA as well. This method also allows you to play modified games such as imports/undubs and fan translations.

yeah I heard there's a way but it sounds like a lot of work

this new saturn tech in the OP sounds like it's just plug and play, like a flash cart on a cartridge based console. that's what I'm waiting for.

let me know if I'm way off here :p

How an old cartridge system without any moving components in more likely to fail eventually?
Do chips go bad over time? How long will solder joints last?

I really, really enjoyed this video, but the thread's title is a little misleading. Copy Protection hasn't been cracked, this guy's found a way to emulate the CD Drive's calls and functions on what's ostensibly a flash card. I'd say it was circumvented, but it's not like you can burn a CD and pop it in now.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
One has to chuckle when the guy looks at the motherboard and he sees no less than 4 processors and says its way over engineered.

If the console had only come out earlier when 3D wasn't a thing and the focus was soley on 2D the system would have been a beast.
Even then the Saturn for whatever reason was missing some important bits. The way it handles transparencies is pretty terrible considering its potential in the 2D space.

Top Bottom