• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega to revive major IPs, be more multiplat/global, make bigger games, Sonic: NA dev?

Everytime this happens with Sega, the result is disappointing

case in point :(

Dat 1st post!

YOU KNOW WHY IT'S GREAT??

because EVERY post after it proves it's point.

We've been here before, we've been here many times and people still don't learn.

Golden Axe beast Warrior
Sega Ages 2500
Gameboy Advance Shinobi/Altered Beast
Wii Nights II
That plug and play Megadrive
360 XBLA Nights
Sonic 4 episode 1 AND II
Multiple shit Sonic sequels (it will be different this time)
Crimson Dragon
Sumo Digital making better use of Sega IP than Sega themselves
Phantasy Star Online 2 with no western release even though it's FTP

jengo

A proper PSO2 Western release is probably as likely as a new Dragon's Dogma: the resources required do not justify the revenue. They both do well domestically in Japan as free-to-play services, and neither companies (Sega or Capcom) have showed any interest in seriously publishing these types of games in the West.

I would hate to be wrong.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
That feel when you're waiting for Virtua Fighter news.

giphy.gif

Please come back. And teach Tekken how to do good customization again.

Exodust

Banned
there's a big difference between "sega pr does a half-wink at an idea" and "sega's parent company specifically tells investors this is a thing they are doing, which is essentially legally binding"

Man I hope so, I've grown cynical from years of empty promises.

Zubz

Banned
I mean, Obsidian does Western/Action RPGs. Golden Axe could lend itself well to that genre...
It's almost certainly Phantasy Star related, but I'm on a Golden Axe kick lately, & I want it back!

Blueblur1

I wonder if they might be contemplating PSO3? I know they're still updating PSO2 with a bunch of gacha stuff and events but maybe they don't have anymore major expansions planned. (Admittedly I stopped keeping track a long time ago so someone please correct me if I'm wrong.)

It would be nice if they moved onto a sequel and better organized themselves to support it from the start.

I added the slides to the OP and tried to put some key points in the title:
*pictures*

So, I've always wondered, why do all these Japanese companies almost always have English presentation slides for their fiscal reports? I mean honestly I've always had the image that English speaking shareholders of Japanese-centric companies are a very (very) small minority with nanoscale stakes.

moeman

I'd love to see some of their arcade style IPs revisited like Soccer Slam and Super Monkey Ball. Even Chu-Chu Rocket would be a great downloadable title for the switch. God there's so many dormant IPs Sega can use:

Samba de Amigo
Outrun
Space Harrier
Space Channel 5
Seaman
Comix Zone
Panzer Dragoon
Phantasy Star (pre-PSO)
Shining Force (do they still own the IP?)

vocab

Just get that Shenmue HD out and ill be fine. They shouldn't even mention PSO, it's pretty embarrassing at this point.

dottme

My own selection:
- Shenmue: i need to play 1&2 again before Shenmue 3 release
- Skies of Arcadia: we can probably have a lot of great stories in this universe.
- Panzer Dragoon: unrivaled. I just want a great rail shooter.

I would absolutely love to finally get PSO2 (I know it won't happen but a man can dream of being able to play such a wonderful game in a language he can read) but the real thing would be Jet Set Radio Future. I don't even need a sequel, just remake that game exactly as it was music and all with pretty graphics. If you wanna do a sequel perfect! But god damn it Sega I need this game. I'll buy 3 copies day one I promise.

Raitaro

Thank you for Out Run 3

Thank you for you :)

Outrun, Shinobi, Streets of Rage, Panzer Dragoon, Jet Set Radio and Skies of Arcadia would be my picks for revivals. For Shinobi and SOR, a Mania style "official fan game" could work well I think. Outrun 3 might actually start as an arcade game if earlier quotes by Sega Amusement International CEO Paul Williams are sincere.

Also, Sega, you know what also would be smart? To release the rest of M2's fantastic 3D Classics (like Turbo Outrun and Power Drift) outside of Japan! You know, games that are already finished and well known...

With that comment about Sonic with a NA dev team, I wonder if they are exploring more projects with Headcannon and Christian Whitehead given the pre-release response to Sonic Mania

Sojiro

Ooooh man, so many great Sega games I would love to see come back, the ones I would want the most are:

Jet Grind Radio
Shining Force
Phantasy Star (single player)
Streets of Rage

Probably won't be any of those, but hey I can dream dammit!

iavi

Skies of Arcadia by Atlus is something I'm almost mad was brought up in this thread cause it's way too good to ever come true

E; the takeaway for global hit is just to make the best game in whichever respective genre possible, I'd think, after how great JP focused games have sold in the west when just trying to nail being good games instead of "western appeal" ala Capcom last gen.

Top Bottom